Cut Throat - Finch's Beer Co.

Cut ThroatCut Throat

Finch's Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 04-21-2011

Finch's Pale Ale is a refreshing experience from the pop of the top. Its fresh and hoppy taste with just enough supporting malt makes it easy to kick back more than just one. Our late kettle additions of American hop varieties and dry hopping techniques make this beer one of our favorites. The citrus hop character balanced with a malty backbone creates a delicious, accessible pale ale that is sure to satisfy with every sip. Enjoy this pale with just about any pairing of your choice.
4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

16 oz can poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
5.6% ABV, no date.

A - Finch's Beer cans are filled, basically to the brim, keeping oxygen out, but soaking the surroundings with a splash of beer when you crack the can open. Proceed with caution. This pale pours a robust golden orange color that's lightly hazed and topped by a hearty ivory beige head. Great suds retention eventually results in gobs of clumpy lace on the pint. Bottoms up!

S - Cut Throat isn't quite as aggressive as the name forebodes, but I'll be damned if it doesn't smell tasty! Opening with citrus notes from sweet orange peel as well as hops, this pale ale already leans towards the hoppy side. Cut lawn and earthy mulch pile add a different level to this beer that blends well with the balancing malt. Sweet caramel and flaky biscuit back it all up for a good, round, and inviting aroma.

T - Hop forward this pale ale indeed is. Citrus notes swap places with the earthy tones as this beer showcases more of that cut grass and mulch, reminding of working in the berm on a summer day. Biscuit and caramel malt follow behind, sure to balance without getting in the way, but I don't find much of the sweet orange peel coming through in the taste.

M - Moderate bitterness slakes the tongue adding a lingering dry finish that immediate draws you back for another sip. Hop-leaning but very well balanced, this medium-bodied pale has a bright carbonation tickle that livens things up for a pleasant experience on the palate.

O - Cut Throat Pale Ale is a pretty fantastic pale. The hop additions are nailed down nicely to come front and center without elevating the beer to an IPA-like level while subtle malt has no delusions of grandeur, content to provide a stable base for the deep hop exploration. Quite a sessionable pale ale, I must say.

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

Hazy orange pour with 2 fingers unforced cream head. Slight retention and vertical lace strands.

Nose is orange peel. Lots of orange peel. Lighter citrus notes and touch of bread malt. Orange peel is very nice, though.

Taste follows the nose. A bit more citrus and a stronger malt profile than the nose suggests, but lots of orange peel. Some light tartness in the finish, but mostly sweet orange. A good bit of flavor balanced against a relatively low abv.

Body is a bit on the thick side, especially for a pale. Creamy smooth.

Overall, I like this a lot. If this was available in the area, I'd drink quite a bit.

4.1/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured from a pint's volume can, an amber-glowing vision into my glass with heavy head over two fingers' worth, which takes its time settling, ample lace. Slightly murky but not sedimental. Bubbles in minute measurement don't overwhelm with carbonation. The smoothness of caramel without its bite; enough hoppiness for an American pale that I find lacking in others so this is welcome. The label was too finely or obscurely printed that I missed it earlier: on the can it reads "Brewed with orange peel." Normally I'm averse to fruit-infused blends and honestly it doesn't come through here, a relief for me; possibly it would be a disappointment for a different conoisseur though. Very drinkable at less-than-fridge-chilled, for I purchased it at room temp and let it sit in my truck w/ 38 degrees air outside another 3 hours at the office before taking it home; flavors resonate well at this level and I must add that hint of sweetness isn't overpowering. Delectable and a nice discovery worth revisiting.

4.09/5  rDev +17.9%

Name: Cut Throat Pale Ale
Brewery: Finch's Beer Company
Country of Origin: United States
City & State: Chicago, IL
Style: American Pale Ale
Alcohol Content (ABV): 5.6%

In the Glass: Its definitely unfiltered, but it had a huge head even when poured at fridge temp. Huge white head floats on top then diminishes quickly.

Nose: I get those lovely Cascade hops, but it's delicate. The sweet orange peel kind of dances in and out. Never really taking over but just adding another layer. Sticky malt really makes the dry hop flavors and orange peel just pop.

Flavor: Its a pale, no doubt about it. The balance is there, but the hop and adjunct flavors are there. Kettle hops add enough bitterness to offset the slightly sweet malt and sweet orange peel. The balance is just impeccable for the style. There aren't a ton of breweries that throw sweet orange peel into a Pale Ale, but this one really works. It's light bodied, flavorful, and balanced, Hey Mike and others, put this on cask or a hand pump. It will sell, and taste like glory.

Mouthfeel: I let it sit for a while, but it wasn't extremely carbonated. The malt bill really remind me of Half Acre Daisy Cutter (from the same city). It's this in your face dry yet grainy flavor that you'll notice straight away. Low carbonation and great malt flavor.

Aftertaste: The finish is griany, airy, and light. Add sweet orange peel to Half Acre Daisy Cutter, and you've got it. Huge compliment coming from me, I love what Half Acre does with that series. Hugely flavorful, yet deep.

Rating: 4/5

Final Thoughts: It's just enjoyable to drink, honestly. Appropriate bitterness offesets the sweetness, great hop flavor as well.

This is my favorite of the year rounds from Finch's Beer, and they have a vanilla stout (I'm a sucker for vanilla). I just think that this thing has the hop flavor of an IPA, yet it doesn't kill with bitterness. The orange flavor comes from the orange peel not the hops which makes it more drinkable,

4.07/5  rDev +17.3%

This was part of my Haul from pokesbeerdude in the recent Nice CANs III BIF and I am excited to add it to The CANQuest (TM)!

From the CAN: "Enjoy the beer in here." and "Ale Brewed with Sweet Orange Peel".

Today has been Adjunct Sunday for me, what with coffee and sweet orange peel in the mix.

What a great Carck & Glug! I got a massive three fingers of eggnog-colored head with excellent retention off of my pour. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose had a tea-like quality, like the orange pekoe that same in an aluminum tin when I was a kid and which my late Pops really liked, especially when he cooked Chun King dinners for us. He was the cook in the family and I was going to be a chef until I joined the Navy and became a logistician. My second pour gave me a big, rocky head that resembled and ice cream float. Every time I lifted the glass to my mouth, the nose set my mouth to watering. Mouthfeel was soft, almost creamy and the taste was a mellow, slightly sweet citrusy orange. This was like hop/beer tea in terms of its mellow taste and mouthfeel. Finish was a bit more bitter than it had been in the mouth, but it was still highly tasty. I could certainly see this in the summer while mowing the lawn or lazing in the hammock as well as on Hula in the Coola Day in February as a way to conjure up summery memories as the snow falls.

4.07/5  rDev +17.3%

Comes out of the tap a dark, slightly hazy amber with a fine-bubbled and rather thick pale beige head that leaves very generous lacing. Rich, malty aroma has subtle notes of caramel, cinnamon and fresh-cut wood. Very tempting! Flavor has a malty core and strong notes of apple, fresh wood and horehound. Mouthfeel is fairly fizzy and has good body. Every time I turn around, a new brand of beer is available in the Atlanta area. Let this one fly down your throat.

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

a pint served to me in an unmarked glass at the front street cantina in naperville. this is my first offering from this new chicago based brewery.

A- a bright golden colored body with golden highlights and a slight haze to it. a small bright white head sits on top. the head has moderate retention and leaves behind solid rings of lacing.

S- without knowing anything about this beer, the first whiff indicates that this is going to be a hop forward pale ale. lots of grapefruit and pine. some caramel malts move in after that and add some balancing sweetness.

T- the taste starts off with the sweet caramel malts that i could smell and is immediately followed up a blast of fresh hops. grapefruit and pine lead the way. a little bit of floral notes trail behind.

M- medium bodied with an average carbonation level.

O- from what ive seen of this brewery, i like it. its nice to have another local option that shows promise. its also nice that its not a super strong beer so i can have more than one if i want to.

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

Finch's Cut Throat Pale Ale

Served on tap at the Geneva Ale House.

Pours a translucent honey orange.

Faint citrus hops with a nutty malt finish that wraps it up. Very fresh smelling. Inviting.

Earthy fresh hops that fade into a nutty caramel backbone. The pleasing bitterness stings the palate just right with each sip.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a crisp dry finish.

Overall, awesome local brew and I cant wait to try more offerings!

(A) Pours a fairly clear honey golden color that is darker around the edges. Small, fine bits of sediment are evenly dispersed throughout the beer. Big foamy off white head on this that has great retention and leaves lacing.

(S) Herbal and piney first and foremost. Bitter hops, some citrus, orange peel, and some sweetness

(T) Orange and grapefruit strike first followed by a piney, herbal treatment. The hops are scattered throughout and give their usual bitterness to the backbone. Orange peel and the bitterness from the hops bring up the rear.

(M) Crisp. Medium to full bodied. Bitter.

(O) Solid brew. Kind of like the suburb's more attainable version of Daisy Cutter. A hoppier version of a pale ale for sure.

My first beer at the Plainfield Tap House. Served in a shaker. Hazy gold with a rocky, wheat beer-like cap of head. Head is two full fingers and drops very slowly.

Aromas of bitter piney hops. Some caramel and wheat.

Flavors are caramel malt, spicy wheat and yeast, with a huge pine and citrus bitterness. Finish is long, bitter, with an emphasis on grapefruit zest.

Mouthcoating bitterness. Medium bodied. Almost puckeri ng bitterness.

Overall, a very nice beer for a new addition to the Chicago beer scene.

Poured from a 16oz can into a 20oz imperial pint. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a deep, hazy amber color with about one finger of creamy off-white head. Retention is just ok, but it left some pretty lace patterns in the glass.

S: Interesting aromas. Caramel, pine sap, and random earthy spices. Hints of caramel apple and carmelized apricots. Damp lumber and moist/cool West Michigan pine forest aroma. Heather noticed that there is more sweetness in the nose than in the taste.

T: See above. The pineyness of the hops assert themselves as the glass wears on. As it warms we picked up a definite bitter orange zest flavor as well as a bit of fresh ground nutmeg.

M: Slight caramel sweetness that gets cut down by astringent spices and hoppiness. Dry in the finish with a slightly minty alcohol zing.

O: Pretty good. Truth be told, Heath and I had this on draft at Local Option about three months ago and we weren't impressed. Their cans hadn't hit the market yet so I told myself I'd review when the tall boys were on the shelves. We liked this. Tastes like a completely different beer now, but seriously...Daisy Cutter doesn't have to worry.

obtained through my first trade ever! thanks to cjacobsen for this little gem!

A: copper, a bit hazy. a finger of head builds and then dies down leaving a little lace.

S: smells hoppy, sweet, and a little roasty.

T: first impression, up front a slight sweetness followed by hoppy. grapefruity and piney. a nice bitter finish really rounds it out well.

M: not too much body, just right. right amount of carbonation. refreshing.

O: great session beer. too bad it is not locally available. truly enjoyed this beer after work during a hot vegas day. glad that i have another sitting in the fridge with my name on it

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A-Peach/Apricot jelly-jam colored. A sandy hued sudsy head that has normal receding speed.

S-Malt. Orange oil. Citrus fruit peels. Lemongrass. Very fragrant. Highlight of the beer.

T-Essence of orange. Bitter hops that pepper the tongue nicely. Not overpowering. Grassy. Sweet caramel malt finish.

M-Light to light/medium body. Nothing mind blowing or bad. Does it's job.

O-A refreshing Pale Ale worthy of your dollar. I like the orange character throughout. A switch from the dominant grapefruit Pale Ale norm. Bonus points for smelling like a fresh citrus farm. Chicago's craft scene is a boomin'.

Had on tap at Quenchers -- pint glass for $5. Pretty much a classic new Midwestern pale ale. More malt/caramel and a heavier body than Daisy Cutter, but definitely shy of something like Two Hearted. Perfect drinking beer for summer. Glad to have a new brew in town.

3.97/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from the can into a shaker pint glass. Handed to me by a fellow beer club member.
As a can collector I have been more and more impressed with the offerings in cans. Plus local beers are appealing to me too, so I was happy to find that my overall impression was a good one.
I look forward to smooth and flavorful brews and this was it. Not overly hoppy, it met the definition of an American Pale. It was a nice blend of flavors.
Dark orange in color, just the right about of carbonation, good head, and a very drinkable finish.
I also like meaningful names, and a quick check I see that the cut-throat is a type of finch.
Beer schooling. What a concept.

3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured at cellar temp in hotel glass.

A: very cloudy dark orange; creamy froth, modest head
S: aroma of bitter spices
T: strong bitter orange flavor; rich and complex; quite bitter and not much malt profile (i.e., not very sweet); good hops; anise is strong

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality, given the average rating. A good mealy beer.

3.92/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This showed up at a local grocery store with a good sized liquor/beer section that is well meaning but not overly inspired - solid choices, nothing to complain about at all, just not all that unusual.

But a few new beers showed up, a couple of which I used to have to hop the border for, and this one, from a different border, which looked interesting.

Pours a very nice amber / APA color, orange but not too see through at all. Spent time admiring before drinking, head was good, maybe 1 inch fairly white colored.

First sip was lip smacking, enjoyed for sure. Mouthfeel was great, only thing keeping it from being even higher than it is is a bit of a bitter aftertaste that I'd almost associate with an IPA, rather than a pale ale, but jeez who's counting?

Not much lacing, but that may have been due to serving temp, which was a little high for the one I am reviewing. Even with that, enjoyed it down to the last drop.

I would buy it again, although it was $10.50+ for a 4/16, which is not bad, but there were $8.99 4/16's at the same place that I would put on par. On the other hand, if I see Finch's on tap anywhere (they are from Chicago and I am in SW Wisco), I will have a tap for sure.

3.91/5  rDev +12.7%

Live review

This baby pours a darker tan than many IIPA I've poured, and wouldn't be out of style for color as an amber. I rated it highly because it has a beautiful, thick, cloudy look, and a huge off white head in my glass that has only now, half way through, gone down. Thick wallpaper lace is slathered.

Nose is a med. strength aroma, featuring the smells of dank weed, other vegetal, pine, less amounts of citrus, a bit of butter, and even a hint of floral hop.

Wow it has a real dank taste right at the start, the flavor hops are from the simcoe part of town. Caramel sweet, a lot for a pale, acompanies deep pine resin, herbal bitter, lesser amounts of citrus pith, to an end of sip that is pretty darn good. This is one that really needs a bit of time to open up. If you don't like dank hops you won't like this taste.

Mouthfeel is med./high carb., very viscous while very attenuated pretty clean finish with crazy staying power, this is the mouth of an IPA or IIPA.

Calling this an APA is like calling an armored tank a SUV. If you like mellow APA's, move along, this ain't that. If you like dank, hop forward IPA's, as I do, this is in your zone for sure.

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a hazy honey colour with a cap of off-white foam.

S: Fruity citrusy hops upfront with a dose of carmel and sugar in the finish.

T: Nice tropical/grapefruit hop flavour. There's a little honey there and the orange does come through as well.

D: Easy drinking stuff and well balanced. Mouthfeel is too thin; bordering watery, but otherwise, its not too bad.

Overall: This beer gets a bad rep and I'm not sure why. I understand - there's already a king of canned APAs in Chi; really I get it, this doesn't stack up to DC. That being said, this is a nice APA and definitely worth the dough. I think I saw this at a Binny's craft 6 shelf. Time to get a $10 sixer. Good job, Finch's! Not a bad freshman product at all!

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Saw this at the local beer store and decided to give it a try. Here goes:

A: Very impressive, actually. Pours a cloudy, orange color - just like a traditional pale ale. It's rather opaque, however, as you cannot see through the beer - this differs from most pale ales that I've had. However, the lacing is superb! The beer pours a huge head that lingers for minutes. Definitely lots of protein content.

S: Again, very good. However, it smells more like an IPA than a regular pale ale. This is because you really can't detect any of the caramel or lightly-kilned malts that are characteristic for beers of this style. Instead, you're hit with a large dose of grapefruit that's characteristic of Chinook and Cascade west-coast hops. Again, it's more like an IPA than a pale ale.

T: Good, but not what I was expecting when I bought the beer. I do detect plenty of amber and caramel malts that complement the beer's base, but the most prominent features are those of the hops. I taste lots of grapefruit, lemon, and lighter spices (all imparted from the hops). This beer should be characterized as an IPA, not a pale ale.

M: Again, good. Very thick considering that the alcohol is only 5.6%. I suppose it has something to do with the protein content (see the Appearance section). Lots of carbonation. I like how the mouthfeel is rather full-bodied relative to other pale ales. Solid.

O: Very good beer. Again, I would characterize it as an IPA rather than a pale ale owing to the large doses of Chinook and Cascade hops present in the beer.

3.87/5  rDev +11.5%

16 oz can, no date.

pours a hazy orange rust color with some floaties. cream colored head, fades thin but leaves some nice lacing. aroma is nice mild citrusy hops, a bit sweet. taste is well balanced, slightly sweet malty body, thicker body - finishes a touch bitter, earthy. medium carbonation.

overall - a nice easy drinking pale ale. paired well with a hearty meal as well.

3.86/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a tall-boy can into a flared pilsner glass. Moderate hand. No date identified on the can.

A: Murky honey-orange with 2 fingers of off-white head. Orange tinted foam. Some floaties. Good retention. Tons of lacing!

S: Round, citrusy hop with sweet, vanilla character. Biscuity malt. Orange. Indistinct spice. I get a little cheesy funk lower down the glass. Perhaps the sediment?

T: Easy-going bitterness up front with just slightly delayed development of smooth, bready malt. There is an element of orange zest in the bitterness. Fairly dry finish. No alcohol. A bit of a one-trick pony, but good.

M: Moderate carbonation with a moderate body. Nice and smooth with a light creaminess.

O: Solid, sessionable, interesting pale ale. Hop heads will be left wanting with this one, but pretty enjoyable. Orange is done very tastefully.

3.86/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass.

A truly deep orange colored brew, slightly opaque, with lots of dregs added to cloud up from the bottom of the can. Head is a nice creamy two finger tan color, and settles to a thick collar interestingly with some soapy consistency. The body color is quite impressive.

Small light biscuity malts on first whiff. Some light brown sugar. Definitely smells citrus orange and zesty. Seems a little crackery also. Not too bad.

Juicy bursting orange with biscuit crackery dryness and citrus hop bitterness on first sip. Swallow brings a good mix of pine like bitter as well. Orange and fresh juicy palate with some depth and not too watery sensations either. A mix of zesty bitterness lingers while finishing each sip which compliments the hops nicely, and seems to roll and stick in your mid palate for a long time.

Overall a fun take on a pale ale. Solid and well done.

3.85/5  rDev +11%

I just recently had this on tap at the Dave Matthews Band Caravan stop in Chicago. I have never heard of the brewery before but a friend of mine sent me a text message saying that I had to try their IPA. The beer was served to me with a straw amber body with a creamy, white, one inch head. The aroma had hints of grapefruit, pine and some sweetness.

The taste of the this beer was great with a quick explosion of sweet caramel malts that quickly goes into a hoppy bitterness that sticks around a bit in your mouth. The beer was smooth and easy to drink with a fair amount of carbonation, in fact I put two of these down pretty quickly and enjoyed drinking them. I really enjoyed drinking this beer and I look forward to see what this brewery has in store for the future.

3.83/5  rDev +10.4%

On tap at Fischman Liquors & Tavern - Shoutout to Morris the bartender, nice chat, love this little bar.

Apperance - hazy golden beer with a thick wheat cap on the top, the head left a nice lacing around the glass

Aroma - Lots of grassiness and pine. I really caught some citrus on the nose, maybe more lemon, but something was there.

Taste - Grassy with the hop bitterness that lasts.

Mouthfeel - I felt very light co2.

Finish – The bitterness stay with you for a long time. Good beer from a local brewer, always good to see. Easy drinker.

Cut Throat from Finch's Beer Co.