Cut Throat - Finch's Beer Co.

Cut ThroatCut Throat

Finch's Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Finch's Pale Ale is a refreshing experience from the pop of the top. Its fresh and hoppy taste with just enough supporting malt makes it easy to kick back more than just one. Our late kettle additions of American hop varieties and dry hopping techniques make this beer one of our favorites. The citrus hop character balanced with a malty backbone creates a delicious, accessible pale ale that is sure to satisfy with every sip. Enjoy this pale with just about any pairing of your choice.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 04-21-2011)

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: cloudy; burnt orange; with a fairly aggressive pour, got a 1 finger white head that receded quickly to a ring around the edge of the glass; nice lacing;

S: dank pine, earthiness; a little citrus in the background;

T: earthiness with a little citrus and a little minty herbalness; well balanced, but kind of weak; low to moderate bitterness with a bit of orange in the finish;

M: medium bodied; low to moderate carbonation;

O: an interesting take on the style; I expected, and would have preferred, more citrus in the flavor;

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Saw this at the local beer store and decided to give it a try. Here goes:

A: Very impressive, actually. Pours a cloudy, orange color - just like a traditional pale ale. It's rather opaque, however, as you cannot see through the beer - this differs from most pale ales that I've had. However, the lacing is superb! The beer pours a huge head that lingers for minutes. Definitely lots of protein content.

S: Again, very good. However, it smells more like an IPA than a regular pale ale. This is because you really can't detect any of the caramel or lightly-kilned malts that are characteristic for beers of this style. Instead, you're hit with a large dose of grapefruit that's characteristic of Chinook and Cascade west-coast hops. Again, it's more like an IPA than a pale ale.

T: Good, but not what I was expecting when I bought the beer. I do detect plenty of amber and caramel malts that complement the beer's base, but the most prominent features are those of the hops. I taste lots of grapefruit, lemon, and lighter spices (all imparted from the hops). This beer should be characterized as an IPA, not a pale ale.

M: Again, good. Very thick considering that the alcohol is only 5.6%. I suppose it has something to do with the protein content (see the Appearance section). Lots of carbonation. I like how the mouthfeel is rather full-bodied relative to other pale ales. Solid.

O: Very good beer. Again, I would characterize it as an IPA rather than a pale ale owing to the large doses of Chinook and Cascade hops present in the beer.

4.08/5  rDev +19%

Name: Cut Throat Pale Ale
Brewery: Finch's Beer Company
Country of Origin: United States
City & State: Chicago, IL
Style: American Pale Ale
Alcohol Content (ABV): 5.6%

In the Glass: Its definitely unfiltered, but it had a huge head even when poured at fridge temp. Huge white head floats on top then diminishes quickly.

Nose: I get those lovely Cascade hops, but it's delicate. The sweet orange peel kind of dances in and out. Never really taking over but just adding another layer. Sticky malt really makes the dry hop flavors and orange peel just pop.

Flavor: Its a pale, no doubt about it. The balance is there, but the hop and adjunct flavors are there. Kettle hops add enough bitterness to offset the slightly sweet malt and sweet orange peel. The balance is just impeccable for the style. There aren't a ton of breweries that throw sweet orange peel into a Pale Ale, but this one really works. It's light bodied, flavorful, and balanced, Hey Mike and others, put this on cask or a hand pump. It will sell, and taste like glory.

Mouthfeel: I let it sit for a while, but it wasn't extremely carbonated. The malt bill really remind me of Half Acre Daisy Cutter (from the same city). It's this in your face dry yet grainy flavor that you'll notice straight away. Low carbonation and great malt flavor.

Aftertaste: The finish is griany, airy, and light. Add sweet orange peel to Half Acre Daisy Cutter, and you've got it. Huge compliment coming from me, I love what Half Acre does with that series. Hugely flavorful, yet deep.

Rating: 4/5

Final Thoughts: It's just enjoyable to drink, honestly. Appropriate bitterness offesets the sweetness, great hop flavor as well.

This is my favorite of the year rounds from Finch's Beer, and they have a vanilla stout (I'm a sucker for vanilla). I just think that this thing has the hop flavor of an IPA, yet it doesn't kill with bitterness. The orange flavor comes from the orange peel not the hops which makes it more drinkable,

3.23/5  rDev -5.8%

Picked this one up on a whim while travelling out of state, had never tried an offering from Finch's before.

Served in a pint glass from the can, can instructs me to drink it in there, I don't follow directions well.

A: Nice golden, almost orange color, quite a bit of sediment suspended, pretty hazy. Any head that's from the pour is gone within seconds.

S: A little weak for me, really had to kind of give a deep inhale to get much. Once it did, it was fruity, citrus. The can tells me that it's brewed with orange peel, so that explains it. Not sure why, but I always judge harshly when fruit's added, knowing what brewers can do with different hops.

T: Taste is ok, pretty mild, but tasty. Fruity up front, finished a little bitter, like I prefer my PA's to do. Almost more of a pear flavor up front than the orange peels that I expected.

M: Pretty nice. Light, sessionable feel. Seems like it would be a decent one for a hot day.

O: It was priced right, so I'm not mad I got it, but I'm not sure I'd grab it again. It's up against a lot of other great PA's nowadays. But it's solid, not bad at all.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

Cut Throat from Finch's Beer Co.