Cut Throat - Finch's Beer Co.

Cut ThroatCut Throat

Finch's Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 04-21-2011

Finch's Pale Ale is a refreshing experience from the pop of the top. Its fresh and hoppy taste with just enough supporting malt makes it easy to kick back more than just one. Our late kettle additions of American hop varieties and dry hopping techniques make this beer one of our favorites. The citrus hop character balanced with a malty backbone creates a delicious, accessible pale ale that is sure to satisfy with every sip. Enjoy this pale with just about any pairing of your choice.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 323 | Reviews: 99
4.09/5  rDev +19.2%

Name: Cut Throat Pale Ale
Brewery: Finch's Beer Company
Country of Origin: United States
City & State: Chicago, IL
Style: American Pale Ale
Alcohol Content (ABV): 5.6%

In the Glass: Its definitely unfiltered, but it had a huge head even when poured at fridge temp. Huge white head floats on top then diminishes quickly.

Nose: I get those lovely Cascade hops, but it's delicate. The sweet orange peel kind of dances in and out. Never really taking over but just adding another layer. Sticky malt really makes the dry hop flavors and orange peel just pop.

Flavor: Its a pale, no doubt about it. The balance is there, but the hop and adjunct flavors are there. Kettle hops add enough bitterness to offset the slightly sweet malt and sweet orange peel. The balance is just impeccable for the style. There aren't a ton of breweries that throw sweet orange peel into a Pale Ale, but this one really works. It's light bodied, flavorful, and balanced, Hey Mike and others, put this on cask or a hand pump. It will sell, and taste like glory.

Mouthfeel: I let it sit for a while, but it wasn't extremely carbonated. The malt bill really remind me of Half Acre Daisy Cutter (from the same city). It's this in your face dry yet grainy flavor that you'll notice straight away. Low carbonation and great malt flavor.

Aftertaste: The finish is griany, airy, and light. Add sweet orange peel to Half Acre Daisy Cutter, and you've got it. Huge compliment coming from me, I love what Half Acre does with that series. Hugely flavorful, yet deep.

Rating: 4/5

Final Thoughts: It's just enjoyable to drink, honestly. Appropriate bitterness offesets the sweetness, great hop flavor as well.

This is my favorite of the year rounds from Finch's Beer, and they have a vanilla stout (I'm a sucker for vanilla). I just think that this thing has the hop flavor of an IPA, yet it doesn't kill with bitterness. The orange flavor comes from the orange peel not the hops which makes it more drinkable,

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

Picked this one up on a whim while travelling out of state, had never tried an offering from Finch's before.

Served in a pint glass from the can, can instructs me to drink it in there, I don't follow directions well.

A: Nice golden, almost orange color, quite a bit of sediment suspended, pretty hazy. Any head that's from the pour is gone within seconds.

S: A little weak for me, really had to kind of give a deep inhale to get much. Once it did, it was fruity, citrus. The can tells me that it's brewed with orange peel, so that explains it. Not sure why, but I always judge harshly when fruit's added, knowing what brewers can do with different hops.

T: Taste is ok, pretty mild, but tasty. Fruity up front, finished a little bitter, like I prefer my PA's to do. Almost more of a pear flavor up front than the orange peels that I expected.

M: Pretty nice. Light, sessionable feel. Seems like it would be a decent one for a hot day.

O: It was priced right, so I'm not mad I got it, but I'm not sure I'd grab it again. It's up against a lot of other great PA's nowadays. But it's solid, not bad at all.

3.71/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a hazy golden amber with a pillowy off-white head that recedes quite slowly. As the beer settles in the glass, yeast sediment slowly collects at the bottom.

S: Mild aromas of lemon, lime, chalk, talc, bready yeast, biscuit, and caramel present themselves on the nose.

T: Notes of lemon, lime, bitter orange, grass, herbs, minerals, cream, biscuits, crackers, bready yeast, and caramel flit across the palate. The finish sees an integration of caramel and biscuit malt and grass and citrus hop notes.

M: Medium-bodied, smooth, and only mildly resinous. Carbonation is gentler than expected.

O: Not a bad American pale ale by any means. I am sort of confused as to why this beer gets mostly lackluster reviews. Overall, it is a good warm weather kind of ale.

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This showed up at a local grocery store with a good sized liquor/beer section that is well meaning but not overly inspired - solid choices, nothing to complain about at all, just not all that unusual.

But a few new beers showed up, a couple of which I used to have to hop the border for, and this one, from a different border, which looked interesting.

Pours a very nice amber / APA color, orange but not too see through at all. Spent time admiring before drinking, head was good, maybe 1 inch fairly white colored.

First sip was lip smacking, enjoyed for sure. Mouthfeel was great, only thing keeping it from being even higher than it is is a bit of a bitter aftertaste that I'd almost associate with an IPA, rather than a pale ale, but jeez who's counting?

Not much lacing, but that may have been due to serving temp, which was a little high for the one I am reviewing. Even with that, enjoyed it down to the last drop.

I would buy it again, although it was $10.50+ for a 4/16, which is not bad, but there were $8.99 4/16's at the same place that I would put on par. On the other hand, if I see Finch's on tap anywhere (they are from Chicago and I am in SW Wisco), I will have a tap for sure.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cut Throat from Finch's Beer Co.