Pig In The Wood - Finch's Beer Co.

Pig In The WoodPig In The Wood

good

Finch's Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

Imperial Red Ale aged 6 months in whiskey barrels from Koval Distillery.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 04-02-2013)
Reviews by rangerred:
3.5/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber poured into a snifter.

Pours a hazy dark reddish brown with barely a tiny off-white head. No head retention at all and really no lacing either.

Aroma is full of bourbon. Tons of vanilla and oak along with a bit of toffee and caramel. It is a bit one dimensional but I love bourbon so it is ok with me.

More vanilla and oaky bourbon notes in the flavor but quite a bit of bitterness to limit the sweetness. A touch of fruitiness is the the background but the bourbon really dominates. Bitterness is on the higher side with a slightly chalky mouthfeel.

Overall, I like this beer but it doesn't have much depth. It is a bourbon bomb which isn't a problem if you love bourbon but if you are looking for a deep, balanced beer, you might be disappointed.

3.74/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Hard, two-step pour into a basic pint glass.

Aroma: Whisky, whisky, and a hint of whisky. NOT a bad thing. But this bad boy certainly is more brash and brazen than its pot-bellied piglet relative, of which I reviewed last NBS.
Appearance: When held up to natural light, I perceive a sienna or burnt sienna hue, bordering on burnt orange. Beige head that will leave dense, fine-filter, collanderish looking lacing.

Taste: Caramel malts greet me at the door and provide me a nametag; a bit of hops sit me down for small talk in the middle, rye deftly changes the music on the playlist. By the end, the oak and whisky are debating me in a philosophical discussion of rationalism versus imperialism. Being a heady type of guy (look what I did there) I’m definitely a rationalist, and the beer, considering I have to taste and smell, and look at it, says I’m dumb for being a rationalist AND a beer drinker.

Mouthfeel: Tiny bubbles, medium to medium-heavy coating, especially on the front on my tongue. I get a little bit of a syrupy feel going down, but nothing that turns me off.

Overall: I appreciate the difference between this and the non-wood version, each in their own right. I also like that though it’s aged in whisky barrels, the abv has remained the same, and Finch’s didn’t try to imperialize it. 8% abv at this size offering (650 mL) is quite enough. The booze is pretty well hidden, but you taste it in the end. It does not assault you from the moment you walk in the door for the party. Truly enjoyable and altogether drinkable of a pleasant, if hot, NBS in NWNJ.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance is a thick cloudy amber-orange that looks sticky and sweet.

Smells immediately of whiskey, very malt forward with close to no hop character.

Wheeewwweee!!! Straight whiskey burn right down to my stomach. Nothing but whiskey. This needs at least year or two on it but didn't taste that great toake it worth while.

Mouthfeel-Whiskey burn

Overall way too hot for me, some age may make this taste better but honestly not worth it.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from the bottle into a large snifter.

Out of the bottle a deep orange amber, hitting the glass it comes with a deep red garnet color, almost like a Belgian dubbel or quad. The head matches in character a bit, creamy tan, a small one finger but very fine, and all together and slowly settles to a thick collar. Quite nice.

Good whiskey notes of caramel and soft oak, and quality butterscotch to go with it. Subdued sweetness and taffy quality. There's also a sense of American barleywine character this with some hop spice and matching sweetness. Pretty solid.

Definitely more of that barleywine and imperial amber character coming out more on the palate. Sharp hop and stinging mild bitterness, with a large pine aftertaste on the finish. Caramel sweetness and warmth in the mid palate, but also a bit thin as well. Thin quality has some playful carbonation, but also doesn't make the flavors hold or last. Spicey quality as well with hints of burnt embers as well.

Kind of a fun brew, a bit light on the palate, but it also makes for easy drinking. Hint of booze though and warm in the stomach also, it drinks well though.

4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. My first bottled beer from Finch's Beer Co., and I will begin this review by saying that I have not yet tried Finch's Beer Co. Fascist Pig Ale, so I can't compare.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours one finger of soapy doughy khaki tan head on top of a very dark amber-ruby-mahogany colored body. Some active carbonation rushing topside. Head recedes fairly quick, but leaves nice thin sticky strands of lace.

S - The smell is very nice. Caramel malt, vanilla imparted from the barrel aging, candied raisins / figs / dark fruit, brown sugar, molasses, and some earthy / herbal / vegetal hops remaining. Maybe just a touch of booziness.

T - Taste follows the nose - caramel, vanilla, toffee, earthy woodiness, mild whisky alcohol warmth, & some remaining herbal / piney hop bitterness. Sticky, bitter, and almost sort of roasty on the finish.

M - Feel is smooth and creamy. Medium bodied with moderately crisp / coarse carbonation, but it goes down nicely. Moderate green apple bitterness / stickiness lingering on the palate.

Overall, I thought it was a delicious barrel aged amber ale. Very drinkable, and slightly warming, but the 8.00% abv is well-masked. I look forward to more from Finch's Beer Co. Highly recommended.

Finch's Beer Co. Pig In The Wood ---4/5.

4.01/5  rDev +11.1%

I picked up a bottle of Finch's Pig In the Wood a couple months ago for $10.99 at The Lager Mill. I've had Fascist Pig a couple times at some beer festivals and I thought it was a pretty solid Amber and i'm interested to see how takes to some barrel aging, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- the label looks nice, it's got the same pig from the Fascist Pig label with a wood barrel like background and it has some nice and in depth information about this beer, I've never seen a beer list it's SRM and I had to look it up to find out that it's a scale for the color of the beer. I thought it was a little eye catching. It poured a nice mahogany brown color that took on more of a crimson and ruby color when held to the light with a finger and half worth of tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some sticky and spotty lacing behind. I thought this was a very nice looking beer, i had a pretty nice color and the head, lacing and retention were all very nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a brown sugar like aroma to it and it's followed by the whisky barrels being the first to show up and they they impart a distinctive whisky aroma with some great caramel and vanilla like aroma coming through. Up next comes some caramel malt and sweet malt aromas that are followed by some nice dark fruit aromas with some fig and raisin aromas coming through. I thought this beer had a pretty good aroma, the whisky barrel seemed a little dominating, but it didn't have a real boozy aroma to it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with lower amount of high sweetness that had a light brown sugar like flavor to it and it's followed by the whisky barrels being the first to show up and they impart all those nice aspects that they did in the aroma with the vanilla and caramel flavors coming through nicely. Up next comes the malts which impart all the same malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the sweet malts and caramel malts still sticking out the most and it's followed by those same dark fruit aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time I think the raisins stick out a little more. On the finish there's a little bit of alcohol that is more warming than I expected and it's got a lower amount of bitterness with a caramel malt, caramel, and vanilla like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, it was a little warming for 8%, but I really like the flavors that the barrel imparts.

M- Fairly smooth, creamy, rich, a little sticky, a little warming, on the lighter side of full bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good, I thought it worked well with this beer, but if it was a little less warming it would make it smoother.

Overall I thought this was pretty good beer and I thought it was a pretty good example of a Barrel Aged Amber, the barrel was a little dominating, but it imparted some nice flavors and I like that they went the whisky barrel route instead of the typical Bourbon Barrels, I was a little skeptical at first since sometimes I think the Whisky barrel can impart too sharp of a flavor, but they worked out well in this beer. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, creamy, a little sticky, rich, a little warming, fairly filling and that taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think this is a nice beer to sip on and I think half the bottle is the perfect amount for me, i think the sweetness and warming alcohol might wear on me if I tried to drink the whole bottle to myself. I think it makes for a nice beer to enjoy in the cooler months and I think it would be nice to take to a bonfire in the fall. What I like the most about this beer was the whisky barrel aspect, I thought it imparted some nice flavors that worked well with this beer. What I liked the lest about this beer was the warming alcohol and the higher amount of sweetness, if those were both toned down a little it would be a very nice beer. I would buy this beer again, but it's not the kind of beer than I need a lot of, a couple bottles in the cellar is fine with me and I would like to see how it changes overtime. I would recommend this to people who like barrel aged beers and if a barrel aged amber peaks your interest you should for sure give it a try. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer. One thing that I don't understand is how this beer says it has the same amount of alcohol that Fascist Pig has, but I found it the alcohol to be more noticeable in the barrel aged version and it had a warming alcohol sensation that the non barrel aged version didn't have, it's also noticeably sweeter. This is up there as one of the my favorite beers from Finchs and it's up there as my favorite barrel aged Amber Ales. Good job guys. this was a pretty tasty beer, keep up the good work.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Pig In The Wood from Finch's Beer Co.