Sobek & Set - Finch's Beer Co.

Sobek & SetSobek & Set

Reviews by LovingCup:
3.61/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 2/13/14 out of a 16oz. can

A: They weren't lying when they said "black ipa." Pours black all right, with a decent size root beer colored head that quickly dissipates while leaving some nice lacing around the glass.

S: idk about the smell. Hard to put my finger on it. At first I want to describe it as "bright, floral, and roasty." Then I read a review describing it as burnt, burnt popcorn to be exact. And now I smell burnt popcorn, and the smell shifts from pleasant to nasty. Despite my indecision, I think the smell is agreeable, just think good smells.

T: On first impression I am put off by the taste, something tastes off or odd. As I sip, I start to enjoy the taste considerably more. More, more...more like a stout or a porter than an ipa on a continuum. I do taste hops, but they are overshadowed by a big, roasty malt character. The more I think of it as a stout/porter and less an ipa, the more i like it. I like it, but it could be smoother. I have been drinking a lot of Sierra Nevada "Narwhal" lately, which I love. I would describe that as roasty, and not very smooth, but more in a good way. Don't get me wrong though, the taste profile is good on this beer and I enjoy it, but I can't ignore there is something just slightly off putting about it.

M: I like the mouthfeel. I think its the flavor that is more obtuse. The mouthfeel is medium-full, exhibiting a creamy smoothness.

Overall: This is my first beer from Finch. I like the can. I like that their from Chicago. I'm a bit inconclusive about this brew. It's enjoyable enough, nice mouthfeel, and a unique classification: sort of a hoppy stouty hybrid thing going on. I enjoyed Sobek & Set, But idk if I'd make this a staple in my fridge quite yet.. I'll have to try a few other offerings by my hometown brewer. Speaking of which, it's time for a revolution!

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into 34oz mug; jet black with a moderate brown head made of tight foam that doesn't fade at all. Smell is roasted malt, coffee and chocolate, with floral and citrusey hops. Taste is big roasted malt, lots of coffee with some sweet chocolate and dark fruit yeast flavors, along with a finish of bitter citrusey hops. Mouthfeel is medium-full.
Overall this is a good cascadian dark ale; more heavy on the roasted malt than the hops, but that's what makes it unique.

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Somewhat a surprise here. Opaque as a good stout with a HUGE tan head and tons of tan lacing. Nose of chocolate, coffee, spicy hops, and deep roasted malts. Taste is up front bittering hops with sweet malts to the sides. Coffee and bitter bakers chocolate comes through on the back. Highly carbonated mouthfeel makes it tingly to the hop flavor. Beefy for a black IPA. Excellent. Have had few Finch's brews I dislike, and for not being a hop head either I am changing or they just do it right. Cheers!

3.61/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of roasted malts, a touch of hops. Taste is roasted malts, a bit of chocolate, mild hops, balanced and mild. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, while a bit light on the hops, is a pretty good beer.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Finch’s Sobek & Set has a thin, cream-colored head, a very dark brown (almost black) appearance, and a good amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of dark-roasted barley malt, sweet, brown bread crust, and the slightest amount of hop oils. Mouthfeel is medium and a touch slick, and Finch’s Sobek & Set finishes semi-dry and pretty easy drinking for an 8% beer.

RJT

3.48/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 2/12/13

Appearance: Pours a decidedly black color - starts with a large, dense, beige head, but fades to a borderline nonexistent cap - leaves some decent lacing though

Smell: Burnt, with more burnt - burnt popcorn and burnt citrus rinds - pine, orange, and grapefruit - some citrus rind and pith - some roastiness, dark chocolate, baker's chocolate, and charred biscuits

Taste: Remarkably burnt - charred, extremely burnt malts - chocolate malts, burnt malts, dark chocolate, baker's chocolate - char, ash, and tobacco - some burnt pine needles - orange, grapefruit - some oily citrus, rind, and pith - some burnt biscuits serve as a nice base

Mouthfeel: Medium body, nicely carbonated, nicely smooth

Overall: Burnt & Char

This is interesting, but it suffers from some common pitfalls for the style. The malts are burnt to the extent that the hops are overshadowed. And it smells like burnt popcorn.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Sobek & Set from Finch's Beer Co.