Wet Hot American Wheat - Finch's Beer Co.

Wet Hot American WheatWet Hot American Wheat

good

Finch's Beer Co. visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mendvicdog on 07-30-2013)
Reviews by rfgetz:

JohnnyNicks, Apr 23, 2014

atlbravsrno1, Jul 09, 2014

bkonk10, Apr 18, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a bright golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of citrus, lemony. Taste is tart, lemons, a bit of wheat, decent but not as refreshing/thirst quenching as is usual for the style. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

tone77, May 13, 2014
3.29/5  rDev -8.1%

Draft at Marie's, served in a branded weizen glass.

Clear golden orange, spotty lace all around the edges. Broken skim across the surface.

Butterscotch aroma, hello diacetyl. Bleh.

Taste is similar but has a biscuity malt presence and soft wheat graininess.

Feel is borderline, watery but slightly smooth from the wheat. Wondering if it's just dirty lines at the bar accounting for the butter notes, though can't be sure. Overall a one and done. Wanted to give these guys another chance but they're not doing anyone proud.

emerge077, Jul 21, 2014

ivyman, Aug 02, 2014

ArtZan, Aug 05, 2014

IdrinkGas, May 21, 2014

metter98, May 26, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Honestly this beer is hard to nail down.

It's got some european hops with a slight funk kick on the aftertaste. Fairly full mouthfeel for a wheat beer. It looks darker than you would expect for the style.

Large off-white head with minimal lacing.

Smell is kind of bland saisony.

mendvicdog, Jul 30, 2013

Astarzz316, Jul 18, 2014

MidwestBA, Jul 21, 2014

JohnnyChicago, May 12, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -5%

I picked up a can of Finch's Beer Co.'s Wet Hot American Wheat a few days ago for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I'm a fan of Finch's and since this one just showed up I thought I would give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a tall 16oz can into a Weizen glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a simple but good design to it with some nice colors that make it a little eye catching. It poured a fairly hazy slightly pale yellow color that took on more of golden and light orange color with a fingers worth of white head that quickly died down a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I wish it had better head and retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice floral and fruity hop aroma with some citrus rind aromas coming through and the floral aromas seeming to stick out a little more than the fruity aromas. Up next comes the malts which impart a light toasted, bready, light wheat aromas with some doughy yeast in the background along with a real slight nutty aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish it was a little more balanced since the wheat doesn't stick out as much as I thought it would.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same hoppy aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time they seem to be a little bit lighter. Up next comes the malts which are pretty much exactly the same as the were in the aroma, with neither aspect sticking out the most and the wheat still isn't that noticeable. On the finish it's a little watery tasting with a high amount of low bitterness that doesn't linger and it had a light toasted and floral hop like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but it really didn't live up to the name and I think I could easily confuse this with a mediocre IPA.

M- smooth, fairly clean, a little crisp, a little watery, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a decent mouthfeel, but i wish it wasn't a little watery.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer, but I didn't think it was a good example of the style, mainly because the wheat aspect wasn't very noticeable and if I tried it blind I'm pretty sure I wouldn't notice the wheat and I would just think it's an IPA. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, fairly clean, a little crisp, a little watery, not filling at all and the taste didn't do a great job of holding my attention, I started to get a little bored with it and I wouldn't drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the hop profile it wasn't bad and it wasn't too overpowering when It came to the taste. What I liked the least about this beer was that the wheat wasn't very noticeable, it barely showed up in the taste and aroma and for a beer called Wheat Hot American Wheat I was expecting the wheat to be pretty noticeable and it wasn't. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I don't think I would turn it down, but it's nothing I feel the need to buy again since it really didn't deliver when it came to the wheat and I wouldn't recommend it because of that. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, it just didn't deliver as a Wheat beer and I found it to be way more IPA like and I think this beer would benefit from either a name change or just adding more wheat to the recipe. This is now my least favorite Finch's beer, and it really doesn't fit in enough as a Wheat beer for me to say how it stacks up. I appreciate the effort, but this beer just didn't live up to it's name, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Aug 27, 2014

Draesith, Jun 23, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

MsShira08, Apr 26, 2014
Wet Hot American Wheat from Finch's Beer Co.