Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) - Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

pDev: 10%
Brouwerij Girardin

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Unfiltered version.

(Beer added by: marburg on 09-28-2002)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by alcstradamus:
alcstradamus

Washington

3rd Edit: I am pleading to all people who drink this beer as an introduction to gueuze, lambic, or sour beer in general: Please revisit it in the future. This beer is so perfect that it can't even be appreciated until the rest of the sour spectrum has been conquered. It is so flavorful yet delicate...walking a tightrope that is hard to appreciate without the experience. I have drank multiple bottles ranging from 1 to 3 to 5 years old and I love them all equally for their own reasons. A couple batches have been subpar (by subpar, I mean less than a 5.0 since that is my rating), but more often then not I reaffirm my love for this heavenly elixir every time I pop a new cork. Pair it with a few slices of Dubliner cheese and prepare to enter a state of euphoria.

2nd Edit: Had a 2005 vintage tonight and thought it was one of the best bottles I have had. Definitely a 5.0

1st Edit: After much contemplation I have come to the conclusion that giving this beer any less than a perfect 5 rating is not doing it justice. Each time I have drank this beer I have bumped my score up, and I think I was fooling myself by not giving it a 5 in the first place. It was only my third gueuze I had ever tried, so I'm not sure I "got it" right away. But I definitely get it now.

On any given night and from vintage to vintage, Cantillon Classic Gueuze and Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze join Girardin as beers that I might call the single best in the world. But among the three, the one I find myself yearning for most is this. The beautiful black label. The flawless beer.

Below is my original review text

---

Pours a nice copper/orange with a large fluffy head that leaves a wall of lacing.

The aroma is basically a blueprint of how a nice gueuze should smell. Mildly tart lemon and orange on top of a blanket of cobweb and funk that is inviting rather than intimidating. There is no mistaking what is in front of you here.

The taste is surprisingly light on the tartness and funk and heavy on the juicy citrus flavor. Wow, this is not what I thought I would be drinking when I popped the cork and I have to say it is actually a pleasant surprise. As a matter of fact, it is more than pleasant...it is divine. Absolutely rich and well balanced and complex as hell. Oak, lemon, orange peel, band aid, horseblanket, cheese, pepper, grass, grapes, it goes on and on.

This has one of the fullest feeling bodies of any sour I can remember. Carbonation is at high levels but it is soft which is a huge plus.

1882 Black Label is quite simply a spectacular, world class beer. Buy it, drink it, go to bed happy.

03-27-2011 05:10:52 | More by alcstradamus

06-06-2014 02:55:36 | More by vermilcj
papat444

Quebec (Canada)

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 375ml bottle, cork says Diam DX 2014. Best before 2014?

Pours a pretty clear light gold body with spidery lacing stretching out. Very tart aroma but surprisingly refreshing. Flavor is dry and tart, bit of sweet vinegar, rustic and some herbs around the edges. Quite nice.

06-04-2014 01:22:54 | More by papat444

MarcWP

Arizona

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into Drie Fonteinen tumbler. Appears to be a fresh bottle.

Pours a dull and gritty light bronze with a fluffy, active off white head which settles to a Gueuze typical small froth atop the liquid.

The nose is a pleasantly balanced Gueuze nose. It's all their but restrained, lemon, oak, earth, hay, barnyard, some pineapple, and even a hint of field flowers.

On the palate the first thing I notice is it has a good amount of pucker but is also aggressively drying and chalky. The chalkiest Oude Gueuze I've had. Plenty of lemon peel, lime zest, peach pit, and toned down fruity white wine comprise the fruity aspects. Funk is toned down a bit compared to the nose but comes in as old house musk, horse mane, and earth.

Mouthfeel is light, higher medium carbonation, and super dry. Again the chalkiness of this adds an even more rustic tone to the already typical rustic nature of the style.

The thing l love about lambics is their variability, and this is further proof of the highly distinguishable differences among the standards like boon, 3F, Cantillon, Tilquin, Hansenns, etc. This to me lies just behind 3F, Mariage Parfait, and Cantillon Classic as far as best "standard" gueuzes go. Rustic, fruity, dry, quaffable...

05-25-2014 02:46:32 | More by MarcWP

05-13-2014 17:58:22 | More by zookerman182
BeerDocT

Georgia

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance 4.25: Beautiful beer out of the bottle. Just a gorgeous, almost glowing apricot gold. Excellent lacing and perfect one inch head. Little bubbles coming up hit the surface and pop! Very unusual.

Smell 4.25: Just a fantastic bouquet. Lime rind, honey, earthenware, dank cellars, wood rosins, slight charring...I could go on and on but I won't. This is just wonderful.

Taste 4.0: Front is sour in a tangy way. Middle is dry with a delicious and thirst-quenching hit of musty cellaring that spreads out all over the palate along with a slight sourness. There is also a cloying sweetness at this level -and it is at the edges of the palate-- that is just delightful. Finish is dry, deep, slightly sour and contains a very interesting taste of wood rosins, combined with a unique taste of one of those wonderful "learned" tastes to appreciate from Belgium: brettanomyces. Aftertaste is almost non-existant; just a hint of the sourness remains.

Mouthfeel 4.0: Smooth and silky bottle-conditioning. Excellent complement to the beer.

Overall 4.0: Excellent beer. Fans of bretts will really love this one. It is funky, weird, sour but ultimately delicious and satisfying. I was joking with my wife that if I had brewed this and was trying for an ale or something and then it tasted like a gueuze, I might pour it all out and start over. However, once you have become acquainted with this style and the "brett taste" in general, I think you will become a life-long fan and take it as a blessing if "The Brett fairy" ever visits a fermenter of your home-brew. I would recommend this beer to any and all.

05-13-2014 04:40:02 | More by BeerDocT