2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) - Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

pDev: 10%

Brouwerij Girardin

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Unfiltered version.

(Beer added by: marburg on 09-28-2002)
View: Beers (13) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 863 | Reviews: 517 | Show All Ratings:
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

To me, this is the ultimate lambic in the world. Twelve ounces of pure enjoyment for the senses that leaves you wanting more.

Beautiful hazy gold appearence with a small, tight head.

Aromas of granny smith apples, lemon, musty barnyard, leather, earth and vinegar.

Taste is an amalgam of tart apples, cider vinegar, juicy nectarines and other just underripe stone fruits with a lemon pithiness that slakes any thirst.

Mouthfeel ranges from an initial pucker to a satisfying quench to the inevitible salavation for the next luxurious sip.

Drinkability is through the roof, off the charts, etc. etc.

Black Label pairs so wonderfully with such a wide array of foods, from mussels to crab cakes to rich, unctuous soft cheeses to nuanced fresh grilled vegetables, to richly sauced cuts of meat. This is the beer that I would want on my table at all times - as an aperitif or a digestif it has no equal. Despite being so damn approachable, Black Label manages to pull off the near impossible feat of being refined and elegant at the same time. It is a drink for both the peasants and the aristocracy alike.

One of the top ten beers in the world as far as I'm concerned.

08-27-2007 21:00:07 | More by Rochefort10nh
bennorthenor

This beer is not for everyone. It is a mix of 1000 green apples and a dark musty cellar. This is one of my favorite beers. The look of this beer is a beautiful color of amber. It smells musty and sour. Mmmmm. It pours nicely into my glass with very little head when poured gently and with respect for this amazing beer. The mouthfeel is refreshing and a pleasure to the pallet. I highly suggest trying this beer.

03-26-2008 21:21:12 | More by bennorthenor
brdc

Wisconsin

Small corked bottle, poured into a snifter.

Beautiful glowing orange, hazy, with a good white head that lasts forever, with a lot of lacing down the glass.
The aroma just flies out the glass, hitting you as you pour; it is musty, leathery, quite funky as it is to be expected. Guarana seeds, oak and a fruitiness round up the amazing nose.
This is a superb combination of a beer that is light enough to be had in a hot day; low enough alcohol to be a session beer, and enough flavor packed to even be a sipper. Funk all the way, sour, with asweet oakiness somewhere in the middle; bone dry finish. Lots of fruits somewhere in the middle.

09-06-2008 01:36:37 | More by brdc
gyllstromk

Pours a slightly hazy, slightly reddish gold, with a nice bubbly head. Nose is lemony citrus with a nice balanced funk, and the tartness almost puckers the mouth before even tasting it. Flavor is lemon curd or marmalade with strong acidity creating a sublime tart finish. The heavy carbonation contributes a welcome champagne character. At 5% I could drink this all night. Most certainly not a drink for everyone; but if lambic is your thing, you will truly love this. It is one of my favorite beers.

12-12-2009 16:53:38 | More by gyllstromk
KDeLibero

Colorado

If you like sour beer, and have never tried a Gueuze (pronounced gooze), do not hesitate any longer! Gueuze is a type of Belgian Lambic beer that is made by blending young and old lambics into a new beer, which is then bottled for a second fermentation. Additionally, because of the aged hops, and the wild yeast that are used in the original lambics, the resulting Gueuze is completely unique, and bears little resemblance to most other styles of beer. The taste is often described as sour and barnyard-like.

Girardin Gueuze is made at the Brouwerij Girardin, a farm brewery in the Senne Valley of Belgium. Girardin began in 1845, and is now the largest of the authentic lambic brewers and gueuze blenders left in the valley. At the brewery, they grow their own wheat, and still have a mill that uses stones to grind their grain. They brew Lambic in the winter, and Pils in the summer. Girardin Gueuze is thought by many to be the best traditonal Gueuze there is. I would agree.

Girardin Gueuze pours a hazy, glowing peach color with a light, Champagne style head that fades quickly. The smell is sharp and super-funky, yet clean. It reminds me of wet straw, and cider, it is very rural. This is by far one of the most interesting flavors that I have ever experienced. Tart and sour hit you right up front, but the elegance and balance keep the gueuze really smooth and drinkable. It tastes like green apples, green grapes, earth, the unfiltered yeast, citric fruits, and those peppery edible flowers. It is incredibly refined. The mouthfeel is a little thick and creamy, which is nicely complimented by the Champagne-like bubbles. The finish is still sour, dry, and a little bitter. It leaves you wanting so much more! I want to get on a plane, move to the Senne Valley, and make Girardin Gueuze for the rest of my life. Then, I really could drink this beer all day, everyday. It would never bore me.

You may not think so, but this is an awesome beer for food pairing. Particular dishes can really bring out a whole other side to the Gueuze, and vise-versa. Try it with caprese for instance. The creaminess and milky flavor of the fresh mozzarella will play well with the acidity and sour tang of the beer. Also, the tomatoes and basil share similar flavors with the beer. Mussels and fries, grilled vegetables, and richly sauced cuts of meat will be nice pairings too. As for cheese, try Girardin Gueuze with Delice de Bourgogne. This is a triple-cream cow's milk cheese from the Burgundy region of France. The creaminess will go well with the sour acidity of the beer, much like how an acidic wine can cut through the fat of a creamy cheese.

03-10-2011 03:26:13 | More by KDeLibero
alcstradamus

Washington

3rd Edit: I am pleading to all people who drink this beer as an introduction to gueuze, lambic, or sour beer in general: Please revisit it in the future. This beer is so perfect that it can't even be appreciated until the rest of the sour spectrum has been conquered. It is so flavorful yet delicate...walking a tightrope that is hard to appreciate without the experience. I have drank multiple bottles ranging from 1 to 3 to 5 years old and I love them all equally for their own reasons. A couple batches have been subpar (by subpar, I mean less than a 5.0 since that is my rating), but more often then not I reaffirm my love for this heavenly elixir every time I pop a new cork. Pair it with a few slices of Dubliner cheese and prepare to enter a state of euphoria.

2nd Edit: Had a 2005 vintage tonight and thought it was one of the best bottles I have had. Definitely a 5.0

1st Edit: After much contemplation I have come to the conclusion that giving this beer any less than a perfect 5 rating is not doing it justice. Each time I have drank this beer I have bumped my score up, and I think I was fooling myself by not giving it a 5 in the first place. It was only my third gueuze I had ever tried, so I'm not sure I "got it" right away. But I definitely get it now.

On any given night and from vintage to vintage, Cantillon Classic Gueuze and Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze join Girardin as beers that I might call the single best in the world. But among the three, the one I find myself yearning for most is this. The beautiful black label. The flawless beer.

Below is my original review text

---

Pours a nice copper/orange with a large fluffy head that leaves a wall of lacing.

The aroma is basically a blueprint of how a nice gueuze should smell. Mildly tart lemon and orange on top of a blanket of cobweb and funk that is inviting rather than intimidating. There is no mistaking what is in front of you here.

The taste is surprisingly light on the tartness and funk and heavy on the juicy citrus flavor. Wow, this is not what I thought I would be drinking when I popped the cork and I have to say it is actually a pleasant surprise. As a matter of fact, it is more than pleasant...it is divine. Absolutely rich and well balanced and complex as hell. Oak, lemon, orange peel, band aid, horseblanket, cheese, pepper, grass, grapes, it goes on and on.

This has one of the fullest feeling bodies of any sour I can remember. Carbonation is at high levels but it is soft which is a huge plus.

1882 Black Label is quite simply a spectacular, world class beer. Buy it, drink it, go to bed happy.

03-27-2011 05:10:52 | More by alcstradamus
Gueuzedude

Arizona

Sampled February, 2004; Hop Leaf, Chicago
There is a pronounced and funky farm-house cheese aroma that wafts from my Gueuze tumbler as I pour this beer. Coupled with this is a dry musty barnyard aroma, and of course a sour aroma as well. The beer is brilliantly clear and a light amber-gold color. It is topped by a creamy beige head that starts out quite big but falls to a persistent 1/8 inch head for most of my first glass. The taste of the beer has a nice sour cidery character to it. This is a sour beer, but it is not as mouth-puckeringly so like some Gueuzes. Overall this is a nice light, refreshing, and spritzy beer, just like a good Gueuze should be. The beer is also very dry, and finishes with a bit of woodiness. This is dry, musty, and dusty, it reminds me of a wet Belgian hayfield in early spring.

This is an absolutely world class Lambic, that pairs wonderfully with my appetizer of mussels & French fries with a garlic aioli. Though the beer is bone dry it develops a perceived sweetness when paired with my appetizer. The food takes away nothing from the beer and the beer takes away nothing from the food, an absolutely stunning combination.

Sampled March, 2001
Smells quite musty not that sour smelling, a bit of oakiness as well. This beer is quite clear in appearance. Tastes sour with an astringent oakiness to it as well. Definitely going to have to try this one again.

09-04-2003 16:04:38 | More by Gueuzedude
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

From a 375ML corked and caged bottle.

Pours a hazy pale gold color with a nice head with great retention and an incredible amount of webby lace. The aroma is pungent sour, barnyard with blue cheese, mustyness and a strong acidity. The taste is very funky with lots of horsey and barnyard notes. Its also puckeringly sour and very acidic.. Theres a little bit of citrus in there as well. Im not skilled enough a reviewer to do this beer verbal justice. It is simply incredible.

I love Gueuze, and I hate the fact that its unavailable in Ontario (or Ridiculously expensive). This is truly the best style of beer in the world.

09-03-2004 03:44:22 | More by CAMRAhardliner
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Surprisingly dark golden yellow pour, moderately hazy, almost orangey. Amazingly balanced aroma. Huge sweet malt kiss complements the character loaded brettanomyces that come out horsey, cheesy and sweaty. Funky and clean at the same time, but above all elegant and farmy. Apparently sweet which have me anticipating a dessert gueuze. Notes of vanilla, cask wood, sand, earth. Indeed very sweet for a gueuze, this is not really what I was anticipating, but I can appreciate greatness when I taste it and this is just as good as Cuvée René with incredible nostalgic character. Pie crust and bread. Not very acid at all, just a balancing tartness. Honeyed maltiness gets overwhelmed by wood juice, powdery glue-like flavors. I don’t really feels the taste was as good as the incredible aroma, but it does grow on me as it warms. It just has this terrific sandy dry-out effect that asks to be let on the table taking some air and breathing like fine wines. Gentle astringency, fitting low carbonation. Medium-full bodied and smooth on the tongue. One of the best in its kind and worthy of every bit of praise it gathers. Complex beyond imagination all while being insanely drinkable. Thanks again Per. <br> A further sampling confirms to me that the real girardin gueuze outclasses cuvée rené by a fair margin as my favorite gueuze. Highly drinkable yet very assertive. It just does everything as I want it and for now stands as the best I’ve had, though some of those rare drie fonteinen look like they could stand up to its level.

09-12-2005 01:16:16 | More by Rastacouere
ChampionJaguar

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

now that I'm done changing my shirt....

This was UPSed to me and 2 days later the unchilled bottle exploded when opened and I just got a facial from one of the best beers ever and I'm not sure I even mind. Not the makers fault..just a warning to others that may decide to mail order this as well. I guess some people pay alot more for a similiar experience...nuff said. I drank $5 worth of the 375 ml bottle, I took the other $5 all over my willing body.

This is one of the best beers I've ever had in 15+ years of drinking lambic. The almost greenish/gold color is the only thing remotely off-putting about this beer. I wouldn't care if it was bright purple...it's one of the best, if not the best lambic I've had. Poured into a goblet and the whole room smells like band-aid, baby skin, sandlewood, girl-parts, faint clove-honey and not a single trace of hop. The mouthfeel is wine like and low carbonation almost like the unblended Cantillon. You don't need to be paying attention to get bowled over by a rush of floral sour but a attentive drinker will thrill to the most complex aftertaste I know that develops on your tongue for well over a minute. Pears strained through suede, green grapes, sweet rice, tallegio cheese are the main tastes I can verbalize. This is a lambic poseur-disposer as the high funk and tart factors will repel the uninitiated. I ate dates wrapped in bacon with this and it balances with the salty sweetness so well I almost wept. Those that find most fruit lambics cloying and crave the most complex - this is it. This is an elite beer for an experienced lambic drinker and once you've had this...only the top flight geuze will scratch your lambic itches. Track it down...share it only with those in the know and don't feel too freaky if you also don't mind it spraying all over your face. One of the top 5 beers I know and essential if you like geuze.

10-22-2005 02:52:45 | More by ChampionJaguar
techdiver

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a hazy deep gold-light copper with minimal head, but displays great carbonation.

Sour green apple nose with a little barnyard in there. Most inviting.

Taste is invigorating. Tart, and refreshing. Sour green apple with vinegar undertones and a funky finish.

The carbonation is makes this such a light and delectable brew.

Great drinkabilty, and a great pairing to a variety of foods.

05-17-2009 16:45:56 | More by techdiver
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

I managed to crack 3 of these over the weekend including a bottle from 05. So I decided I needed to drink one more to give this a proper review.

2010 Vintage.

A: Golden orange/yellow, tiny bit of white head forms and fades quick. Some soapy lace. Pretty much right where every guezue comes in.

S: Wonderful bouquet of tart lemons, wet straw, grass, dusty attic wood, damp basement, horse blanket, old library books. This is the new standard from which all guezues will be judge by my nose.

T: The tart lemon bite is the first thing I get. Yet it's not an overpowering sour. The lactic sour drys your mouth and makes you teeth gritty but doesn't overwhelm you. There are so many different things I pick out. Sour grapes, wet straw, dusty attic wood, band aid, fresh grass clippings, green apples, mildew. The flavor is amazing.

M: Light yet satisfying body. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

D: Well this is as drinkable as it gets for my money. Wonderful in every category. If I had ready access to this beer I would swear off all other beers and drink this exclusively.

02-01-2011 02:43:02 | More by beerwolf77
TheLongBeachBum

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Thankfully, Girardin still brews its own lambics, which are some of the most traditional and highly revered in the hall of lambic fame. The label on the Bottle of their Gueuze offerings will actually state "Girardin Gueuze 1882". It should be noted that there are 2 versions of this Gueuze. The first has a White background label, which means it is filtered (flemish - gefiltered), and this is the commercial version. The second is the Black background label, which means unfiltered (flemish - ongefiltered), this is the real traditional version and the one that should be sought out.

Whilst they are principally the same beer, the unfiltered ‘Black-Label’ version is a true Oude Gueuze, highly traditional, and it is by far the very best of the two.

Black Label, is dominated by strong grapefuity-lemony citrus flavors, very sour with an incredible mouth-puckering dry spritzy mouthfeel. The aromas from this beer when poured are simply outstanding - very earthy, horsey, funky farmyard smells, but with some oak-wood dryness in the background and finish.

An extremely astringent Gueuze that just begs to be drunk. A superb example of just how good an Oude Gueuze can be. It does not get much get better than this - one of the very best traditional Gueuzes available and it simply has to be tried before you can even talk comfortably about traditional Gueuze to anyone in the know. A Five Star Gueuze, not the most acidic – but one of the most refined.

I want people to drink this at my funeral.

09-30-2002 00:25:01 | More by TheLongBeachBum
drewbage

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Sampled 5/5/2004 courtesty of Larry James, beer distributor in LA.

Larry had much enthusiasm for this beer and brought it around to those in the know ( or the ones who can sense a good beer in the area).

Poured into a .4L Bitburger flute which actually served well for pulling the aromas up.

The aroma is softer than the gueuzes of Cantillion, but a sight better than most. This brew has soft earthy andd musty tones, but the barnyard has a closed door and lends a barely there aroma. Some very low and muted pineapple tones lend a fruitiness with a touch of caramel.

The flavor matches the aroma with having all the complexities of a harder gueuze with a softer, more approachable behavior.

Really.. top notch stuff. This is well balanced, tasty, and yet amazingly approachable. (In other words while this brew has a lot of the same characteristics of other great gueuzes, the acidity and enteric bacteria qualities are restrained for a more drinkable brew.)

05-07-2004 02:10:39 | More by drewbage
RoyalT

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance – This one poured a light, clear orange with one of the best looking heads that I have ever seen. It was big, pillowy, and reminded me of fine goose down. It was just gorgeous.

Smell – Man, did this thing smell. The animal and horse blanket were mixed with a yeasty sourness that actually made my mouth water. I’ve caught glimpses of this with other examples of the style, but this one was the full monty.

Taste – The tart and sour flavors came straight from the nose. They laid perfectly on the yeasty base. Everything came together in an amazing way at the tongue.

Mouthfeel – This Gueze was medium-bodied and impeccably balanced. This guy was dry, dry, dry.

Drinkability – I’m no pro when it comes to the style, but this has got to be one of the best Guezes ever made. It’s exactly how I’ve always thought the others should be.

Comments – I can’t begin to express my appreciation to TheBum for popping this at the 2004 AleOha First Annual Derby Party Celebration. He brought this out after a rather long day of drinking, but damed if this didn’t revive the taste buds. What a treat!

05-08-2004 00:49:06 | More by RoyalT
sjverla

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Nose: Serious funk. Plenty of mildew and wet wood. Very basementy - or like a damp barn. Hints of fermented apples. A lingering vinegar burn in the nose.

Appearance: Hazy honey. Poured with a frothy white head that dissipated quickly, but laced modestly.

Taste: Tart straight off the bat, but very well balanced by distinct burnt-wood flavor. Super-earthy and fungal, it tastes almost like licking wet charcoal. Finish is long with a somewhat vinegary aftertaste. The feel is semi-dry and pleasant.

Overall: Supremely confusing. Very dynamic flavor that is largely foreign. Hints of un-popped popcorn kernels and mold. Very alive (or very dead) tasting.

01-09-2012 02:55:19 | More by sjverla
bditty187

Nebraska

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Lightly hazy, the liquid looks like sunshine in the morning; there is a coppery-golden vibe with a very slight suggestion of amber. The liquid is beautiful. The head was basically white in color; at the apex the foam was almost a half finger in height. Head retention was fair; it quickly faded to a soapy cap and then a soapy collar that was naked in the middle. This collar lasted for the whole consumption. There was no subsequent lacing. On the whole, this is a terrific looking beer.

The nose is some George Clinton/P-Funk thing. The nose smells rural. I must be standing in an apple orchard with an old wooden fence surrounding it. The light breeze occasionally floats aromas of mold, grape leaves, mulch, and a nearby barn that seems to have livestock in it. I’m guessing horse because I can smell their blanket and saddle leather. There is unmistakable lemony tartness, tart cherries, and fruity vinegar doused on wheat bread that was sprinkled with Italian herbs; this must be from my picnic basket. The bouquet is very complex; most of the aromas are soft but very deep. I smelled this beer for along time and I still couldn’t figure out everything it was saying. It is beautiful. The potency is close to loud enough for me; still I hear everything it is saying. My mouth is watering in anticipation. It is perfect. It is Gueuze.

I bet there would have been a time when this beer would have shocked the shit out of me. The tartness hits like Mike Tyson circa 1988. A couple of years ago I would have been KO’ed. Now, I relish the massive tartness, I let it glide over my tongue. I feel the endorphin rush. This beer is tart, it is dry, it is sour, it is juicy… it is Gueuze. I love the complexity; there is so much going on here. Most of the flavors are secondary and they bend at the will of the other flavors. The tartness manifests itself in a combination of flavors like cherry and lemon zest. Vinegar. It is a grassy knoll with barnyard. Horse blanket. Horsehair. I taste moldy apples… and a few fresh ones as well. Hell, there is even a hint of rhubarb-apple pie with a wheaty, lightly baked crust. It is herbal at times. Hot on occasion. Raw yeast. Leathery. Juicy and dry… this beer is a complete work of art. This might not be the most acidic I’ve tasted but it is very refined and well thought out. I could write more about the taste but you get the gist. There is an encyclopedia of flavor.

Around medium in body, maybe a tickler fuller, the carbonation is low but lively enough. The mouthfeel is exciting yet relaxing. It inspired me to take a sip but it encourages me to hold it in and not to swallow. I can’t imagine how wonderful this beer would be with stinky, pungent cheese.

This beer is damn drinkable. My 12.7oz bottle is not enough. I purchased my bottle in Iowa City, IA. I was surprised to see it and I hope there is more when I return. I really loved every aspect of it. Not only is it incredibly flavorsome and extremely complex it is exceedingly refreshing! What a great “summery” beer. It is low in alcohol as well. But don’t misunderstand me; this beer would be great anytime, anywhere. If you want a great Guezue I suggest Girardin. Damn near total perfection. Highly Recommended.

06-09-2005 14:09:16 | More by bditty187
rye726

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Pours a hazy cedar brown and hazy a creamy light tan head with nice lacing.

The nose has oaky vanilla, manure, musky funk and some tart citrus. Quite lovely, just a bit light.

Absolutely delicious. A sour yet complex funk with a salad of tart tropical fruits. Some nice earthy oak and sweet bready malts balance together perfectly.

The body is full yet crisp and delicate. An outstanding beer that I strive to be able to replicate some day.

05-19-2008 02:57:45 | More by rye726
vrazionale

Vermont

4.9/5  rDev +14%

A - Very cloudy golden brown. Pours a thick head that remains constant across the top throughout drinking.

S - Wow! Lemon, yeast, musk, leather, pepper, orange, thyme. The old "horse blanket" muskiness is attractive and exciting.

T - Just as on the nose, there is a wide range of tastes here - the farminess of the spontaneously-fermenting yeasts really shines through. The beauty of this style of beer is that every sip is different from the last. Tart and refreshing.

M - Fizzy, with a lip-smacking pop from the tartness. This brew definitely has a palate-cleansing effect - a big reason why each sip is different and exciting.

D - This is my favorite spring/summer beer. It's refreshing without getting boring. Most definitely a session beer - I could drink this all night long. I love to pair this beer with food - the flavors mesh very well with all different types of food. Try it with seafood, cheese, or a hearty burger.

04-17-2009 02:42:56 | More by vrazionale
cpetrone84

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Got to have the 99 at Akkurat in the 75cl bottle, pure heaven and beats out all but the 50th Anniversary from the big geueze contenders. Slightly pale golden orange with very little white head. Nose is rich and sweet. Light dusty funk, touch of cheese rind and dry cobwebbs, nice sweet peach and light tangerine. Light funk, cheese is faint, some cellary musk, cobwebs, and dry paper. The fruits are integrated in very well, sweet fruits, peach, tangerine with a nice sharp sourness. Light body, hints of oiliness, coats the mouth, strong carbonation on a dry finish. Most sour out of the millennium and 3F 50th. Less funky than the 50th, amazing stuff and deep complexity.
***
Big thanks to Kevin for sharing this one! Second time trying this out in a few months and seemingly different.

A-golden yellow, hazy, pure white head.

S-nose has a good earthy funk to it, light musk and barnyard, soft lemon with light acidity in the nose.

T-sweeter than most gueuze, earthy musk, notes of dry cellar, the sweetness balances, light peaches with notes of lemon. the sour is moderate and the acidity is there but low. Tasty stuff!

M-smooth soft feel, a little grainy but mostly smooth. lightly syrupy with a medium body and good crisp semi dry finish.

D-this has a great balance, lighter funk and moderate to strong sweetness with a strong complexity and decent thick body.

***

A-dark golden color, very hazy, tight creamy white head with a nice lace left on the glass

S-earth and bready malts are right up front. There is a barnyard musky funk that follows with notes of tart cherries in the back

T-this is quite tart and sour but not astringent at all. It has a fair bit of funk and musk, lots of earthy notes. Tart cherries at the finish

M-this has a medium body that is very smooth and creamy on the palate. Lots of carbonation giving it a prickly finish on the back of the throat.

D-this is very tasty but it is so tart and sour. The flavors are very good and blend together very nicely. Nothing is too strong to keep a nice complex balance.

05-01-2010 21:57:36 | More by cpetrone84
EdKing

United Kingdom (England)

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle on New Year’s Eve 2012, Bottle drunk after a couple of top Champagnes and I have to say this beat them both. Pours cloudy golden orange amber, white head. Nose is green appley, cooking apples, strong sour yeasty, toasted French bread, farmyard, grain husk, burnt caramel, urine . Taste is very green appley, Bramley apples, sour yeast , very light and citrous acidic, vinegary, grassy, toasted white bread. Outstanding beer.

07-01-2013 15:05:21 | More by EdKing
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

My favourie gueuze without a doubt. This exhibits the most complex and juicy flavours of any gueuze i've tried. Some very smelly barnyard characters, couple with a lemony, grassy acidity towards the end. Very round palate. A very juicy mouthfeel. And the aroma is simply mouthwatering. Its so refreshing that beers like this exist, something rare, completely different and simply a pleasure to drink. In comparison to the filtered White Label version, this shows a bit more complexity, a bit more juicy sourness, simply amazing..........

09-28-2002 18:03:09 | More by rastaman
LuckySevens82

12 oz corked and caged
Poured into a Strohs flute (don't ask where I got it, I can't even remember)

Pours a very nice golden color with just a small head. Carbonation is just wonderful with streams all along the sides of the glass. There is very little lacing but man this is a good looking beer.

Smell is...well, funky. It smells like old socks, hay, vinegar, and loads of other things that I should know better than to drink. Nevertheless, I push on.

Oh WOW...this is amazing. Lemony, acidic, funky, and just down right enjoyable. By far one of the more interesting flavors that I've experianced in my life. I'm having a hard time describing all of the flavors of this one.

Despite being very tart, this is remarkably smooth (at least the aftertaste). After the initial shock of tartness, this just smooths out ever so nicely over the tongue and just coats the taste buds.

Overall: WOW, just wow. I had been putting off trying a geuze for a long time because I've read the reviews and was kind of put off by the supposed "funkiness" of the style. I'm kind of kicking myself now for not trying more of them sooner. This is a style that I could see myself drinking much more than I probably should. I never believed in love at first sight, until now...

11-14-2004 04:29:52 | More by LuckySevens82
gbontrag

49F
Color of aged, newly waxed yellow pine floor boards. Large froth slowly collapses to overwhipped egg whites, then lays down on my gooze; leaves a thick lace.
It smells like I slipped and fell on some fermented apple cider mash on the floor of a stone milk house with old spilled milk in the corners, and my nose comes to rest against a pair of work boots with fresh manure on the bottom, and I bump my head on the bottom of a wet butcher block used for washing socks in buttermilk and lemon juice.
As I gather myself to sample -- soooo souour. My tongue is chasing creme fraiche over fresh cut apple wood, across boards in a roquefort aging room, over buttermilk spills, and across river rock, and then I let it rest in a squeezed out lime half. This must be what a dog feels when licking his privates after a day of chasing livestock. This is a bewitching fermented food.

06-06-2005 02:30:21 | More by gbontrag
downes51

Cyprus

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I love this stuff, I can (and have) drink it all day. It's got that authentic farmyard smell, the mouth-puckering astringency, the lovely orange hue, the sheer complexity of the taste and after-taste the makes it a top-class gueuze. I really must try drinking real cider again, now I'm used to the Gueuze experience I am probably ready for it.

06-06-2006 15:34:01 | More by downes51