Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) - Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

Brouwerij Girardin

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 09-28-2002

Unfiltered version.
Ratings: 1,031 | Reviews: 533
1.96/5  rDev -54.3%

Lined up nine different gueuze the other night. Besides the abomination that was the Girardin white, I enjoyed this one the least.

From a 37,5cl corked and caged bottle into a mini snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium-thin looking, white head with good retention. Hazy gamboge orange with higher levels of carbonation. Head fades to a good foam cap and remains for the ride.

SMELL: Lots of mould and fungus on this one. Barnyard notes with hay and some skunky wet cardboard. Quite off putting. No real fruit esters or acidity; very musty and mouldy.

TASTE: Skunky wet cardboard, barnyard funk flavors, with lots of mouldy fungus in this one. Light vinegar after the swallow with sewage and more fungus. A light lemon sourness tries to punch through the sewer and mouldy basement, but fails. This is pretty disgusting.

PALATE: Medium body and lower levels of carbonation. Goes down a little watery and finishes dry on the palate. Slightly puckering finish.

OVERALL: This one was pretty rough going. Far too much sewage and mouldy, musty, dank dewllings on this one. Not my style of gueuze what-so-ever. Choked down three ounces and dumped the rest.

2.23/5  rDev -48%

Poured into a Tulip.

A - Looks like apple juice with ample carbonation and a half inch of white head.

S - Very Sour and lots of yeast funkiness.

T - EXTREMELY FN SOUR, make me pucker right away, the sourness is overwhelming and really don't get much else.

M - Light bodied, super carbonated and a bit slick.

D - This is all just one note, SOUR. Just overwhelming and not pleasant to drink for me. Maybe I am not a gueuze fan.

2.27/5  rDev -47.1%

A: Cloudy murky tannish brown. Absolutely no head, and barely a sound when I popped the cork. Slightly worried about that.

S: Very tart smell, hints of vinegar and strawberries.

T: Muted sourness, followed by more intense sourness and a bit of funk. Sour and slightly musty.

M: Completely Flat. Thinnish mouthfeel, and watery.

D: I think this bottle is not as the brewer intended to be seeing as how there is no carbonation, and previous reviews ( and the style) would suggest there should be much more.

2.35/5  rDev -45.2%

Either I got a bad bottle of this., or I am really swimming against the tide. I've enjoyed other lambics I've had, but this was terrible (maybe it's just the gueze style I don't like). This poured a champagne color with little head and some carbonation. Unfortunately, both the nose and taste were a rancid mixture of very sour apples and vinegar. Early on, I kept thinking maybe the sour would be followed by a sweet sensation, a la Flemish Sours, but instead, it just kept getting more sour and acidic. Ended up cleaning the drain.

2.39/5  rDev -44.3%

Upon buying this, I didn't know that this was a sour beer. As for sour beers...I still don't like them. Pours a very clear gold with relatively no haze. All the sediment settled in the bottom. Very tart, sort of dry, with a hint of cheese. On the palate, dry, tart and a little bit of currant. I wish that I had some food that you eat with wines to go along with this. This was not a good brewday beer. Not a good beer for me, but for people that enjoy lambic sours.

2.43/5  rDev -43.4%

Green cork and caged 37.5 cl bottle, poured very carefully into my huge 'Judas' stemmed tulip glass.

Only a very small amount of sediment left the bottle, so the beer wasn't too cloudy or misty, a dirty old gold is the best colour discription I can come up with. An off-white head sat uneasily on top, looking like it wanted to be somewhere else. Masses of bubbles travelled upwards to join the unhappy foaming head.

Rotten cooking apples and pickling vinegar with a sour-puss smell. A cows farmyard that hasn't been hosed down for three weeks, even though the cows have used it twice daily to deliver calves.

Vingarous to a fault, this is one sour beer. Uncooked cooking apples mixed with cow dung came to mind. I've tried to embrace this style and have even enjoyed a couple over the years, but I really struggled with this one. I can truely see why this type of beer isn't drank in Belgium very often and the style is slowly dying.

I had to have olives, various cheeses and crackers to help me finish off this bottle. God knows what my arse will smell like tomorrow, my intestines were complaining after the second sip.

This reminded me of an old rough scrumpy style cider that a farmhand with a few loose marbles might try and drink to help his teeth rot and scramble his brain even more.

I have tried to score for the style, not my personnal view, otherwise it would have got a few minus numbers!

2.43/5  rDev -43.4%

My first and probably last of this style. Cute little bottle with a cork for $9.29 at Lone Hill Liqour.

Looks good enough. Golden orange. Sturdy head. Slow moving bubbles gives it a thick appearance.

Smells like lemon pledge, bleu cheese, and sweat socks. After they've been sweat in. I'm concerned. I do not like this smell at all.

Tastes like a chewable vitamin-c tablet. Strong obnoxious flavor. Acidic sting. This is flat out nasty. Chalky, dry.

I try to give every beer a fair chance by drinking a whole bottle but I am seriously challenged here. At 5% it wouldn't even give me a head change so there is little reason to suffer through this.

I guess it's an aquired taste (that I haven't aquired). I let it warm a bit and slowly sipped on it. The flavor becomes a little better but I can't forgive the smell. I can see how one would be drawn to this extremely tart flavor. I actually am going to finish the bottle, but damn, man, it smells like friggin feet!

Overall: only if it's your thing

2.46/5  rDev -42.7%

This brew pours a very envigorated large head of small bubbles that was mostly diminishing. Its body was a hazy light orange brown color. The aroma was very bubbly and fruity. It had a dry complex flavor and it was not much of a flavor I cared for. It fruity citrusy flavor was dry from start to finish.

2.61/5  rDev -39.2%

A- Looked like gueuze. Head stayed for a few seconds. Looked good.
S- Smelled like it would have been more sour than it was. Weird metallic flavor.
T- Disappointed by how sour it was. Tasted watered down.
M- Felt decent. Few bubbles.
D- I sampled this at the wine shop today and was disappointed. Doesn't compare to Drie Fonteinen, Hannsens, or Cantillon. If I had paid to drink this I would have regretted it.

2.7/5  rDev -37.1%

Last sunday we had a beer tasting session at my house with three other BA's and a bunch of friends. This was the first bottle we opened.

To be quit honest, this was not my cup of thee or should i say gueuze. I am not very fond on gueuze.

Poured in a tasting glass this beer looks likes piss (sorry!)

There is a strange smell that goes with this beer. I can't define it. Pretty sour taste, or better said much too sour. I am cured for a while!

2.85/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From Blind BIF #6, Bottle #6, a cork & caged 500ml just like bottle #5, Cork comes out with ease and a nice little pop. Poured into my Half acre Tulip

A pours a hazy golden, dirty straw color with a hint of orange when held up to the light. a finger of bright white head sticks to the side of the glass as it tapers down in the middle. 4

S Again, the moment the bottle opened I knew I was in for something tart and sour the smells of lemons, grass, zest, tangerines, charred oak and musk. 4

T lemons, green apples, black pepper and malt vinegar are all over my palate with the initial sip. This seems very one dimensional. Something is wrong here. The charred oak character is transferring over and is an undesirable characteristic. Getting rotten tomatoes and musk. The flavor is starting to remind of something I once smelled in a garbage can... yet I cant stop drinking it.. 3

M low carbonation but a nice astringency and dryness to this one. The mouthfeel is a little thin but not to bad 3

O I am mixed about this sour. I dont know if it is an unblended lambic gone wrong, a Gueuze from a brewery with an off year or just an attempt at an american wild ale gone awry. I feel like ive had this before and was not impressed. I want to pour out the last third but cant stop drinking.. 3.5

The Reveal: Gueuze Girardin 1882 Black Label. This is about spot on from the last time I had this beer. Thanks Alewatcher! I am glad to have tried this beer blind and it is neat that my assessment is about the same. This seems like one Micah helped provide intel on.

2.95/5  rDev -31.2%

From bottle into my C&B Bruges snifter.

A - Pours a nice hazy golden orange with a rather small, foamy, sticky white head that recedes really quickly. Rather large bubbles resulted from the pour. Decent retention formed a thick, sticky layer of lace.

S - Funky, earthy and tart barnyard aromas at the initial smell. I'm also picking up some apples and lemon and some orange. A touch of yeast and hay aroma also present.

T - Wow, thats sour! I mean really sour. Im mostly tasting sour green apple and lemon. Some sour barnyard funk present, as well as some hay, giving it a slight woodiness. This is a bit puckering to me.

M - Light body with little carbonation. Fairly drying finish.

D - This is a bit too sour for me. I enjoy sours, but this one is a bit too one-sided. Not very balanced in my opinion. The low ABV makes it drinkable, but i think i will finish this one and not need to buy another for a while.

3.11/5  rDev -27.5%

Too much vinegar in this for my liking.

3.33/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. A simple good small pop off the cork. REF D X 2011 on the cork for the record.

Not much of a head recorded even when pouring. What is a simple white the falls normally and disappears. Body is an interesting color mix of orange, yellow, even some brown and cloudy opaque. Depending on which way you look at it in the light it changes. It's almost peach. A very thin collar sticks around. Really dig this color.

Smell is a dense granny smith green apple, mixed with tartness and a hint of bret. Classic gueze it seems but more subdued.

A sense of wetness seems to be dominant, with an extremely big tartness that's hard to get use to. Has some aridness but also a lemon juice wetness that takes away from the dryness.

Overall it's fine, but is probably not one of my favorites for this style. Doesn't seem as big a fruit profile, and missing some of the real arid dry character I like. Drinkable for what it is I'll give it that for sure, it would be neat to do a side by side comparison with some others, but I just am not feeling this one as much, and that's being totally honest with myself. Not feeling it.

3.4/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a cloudy dark honey color, no head. Astringent smell of oak, sweet tarts, and the dying remnants of malt sweetness. After a few sips to acclimatize my palate to the bracing sour pucker I detect a flavor profile that while not the best, does the trick. Oaky tannins, souir grape, lactic, citric acid with a slight tannic pucker at the very back of the tongue after the liquid passes through. This is quite dry, yet leaves the mouth watering for another sip. The tannic back bite reminds me of when you eat the strongly bitter pith of a citrus fruit, minus the bittersweet reward of the sweet fruit. I wish there was more opening up in this glass, but almost sadly not. "Almost" because this is a satisfying drink while still remaining on the periphery of what I am seeking out in it.

3.43/5  rDev -20%

Shipped back from Denver during my trip - many thanks ;-)
Poured from a 375ml (date on cork of 0608 but not sure if bottled or best by date) corked and caged green glass bottle into my DT snifter. It was an opaque golden honey color. Slight carb and no lacing. It had a small fizzy white head that never even completely covered the surface. It dissipated as soon as I stopped pouring.

The aroma was very sour and vinegary. It was a bit too much on the vinegar side for me. Not bad but I prefer the sour side better. The taste also was mix of sour and acidic vinegar and was again too far on the vinegar side. It starts out sweet then hits sour and then ends with a bitter vinegar slap. Really liked it up till the end part. Only my second gueze and the other one didn't have this vinegar slap to it. Being in a green bottle, I wonder if it has started to turn.

Overall, a good but not great beer. Glad I tried it as I can knock it off my top 100 quest but I was really disappointed with it. After ready the reviews and having a lot of sour beers lately, I was expecting more. Gonna have to try another bottle sometime to make sure I get a good sample or valid my review. Do recommend as it is a unique style but don't rush to get it. As is, it's not top 100 for me. One and done (except for re-reviewing).

3.48/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Well after a solid third of this bottle ended up on my friend's rug, we got down to business.

It poured a gorgeous orange honey color into a champagne flute, with surprisingly little head after the geyser we'd seen while opening.

Smells of vinegar, apple cider, apples, and horses.

Tastes of vinegar and horses (but in a good way). I was thrilled when about halfway through the glass, I finally started to pick up on some of the apples I'd detected in the bouquet. Even after finding the apples, they were not quite as pronounced as I would've liked. But the primary thing going on on this beer is the sourness, which just dominates the palate and beats it into submission.

The mouthfeel is very thin and quite still. More carbonation, or a little thickness would've gone a long way.

In terms of drinkability, let's just say that I'm sort of glad some of it ended up on the rug.

A solid gueuze, but one to be enjoyed one flute at a time.

3.49/5  rDev -18.6%

Apricot colored with a teensy bit of white head. Nice soured scent. Artificial lemon juice from a bottle with a light bit of mustiness... (not a bad thing though) Makes you think of walking into a good wine cellar...
Hits you with the burst of sourness that you were searching for! Bit of lemon rindy taste that hits the sides of your tongue. The limey-lemon juice and sour hits everything else in your mouth. But like with the aroma, it does remind me of an artificial citrus juice flavoring. Very good Gueze offering!
Nice surprise to have this one pop up at the tasting party at the General Lafayatte!

3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured into a flute

Pours a beautiful clear amber color with a half inch of white head. Head stays the whole way and leaves nice lacing.

Smells like apples, oak, funk, lemons, and slight vinegar.

Taste is funk and apples up front, lemons peak through in the middle, and finishes very dry with oak. Its not particularly good but not offensive. Much better than the Boon, but not anywhere near the 3F or Cantillon.

Mouthfeel is light and very prickly, very nice.

Overall its good, but the taste is nothing special.

3.55/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Pours a glowing sunburst orange hue, topped by a bit of head that appears cloud-like and exhibits solid lace and retention.

S: Has a definite sourness in the nose that's immediately noticeable, as in right as the cork was popped, along with the underlying yeasty smell that is characteristic of Belgians. Some notes of grapefruit citrus in the bouquet as well.

T: Nothing but tart on the palate, almost unbearably so, with the grapefruit sourness dominating, and an overall sour apple taste. Still, at the same time it has the drying and bubbly quality of a champagne. I'm blown away, but just not in the usual manner.

M: Again, bubbly and dry, in the vein of champagne.

D: This one has me totally rethinking my outlook on beer. Being my first Gueuze, I really don't know what to say. I wouldn't call this incredibly "drinkable," as it's definitely a challenging beer to consume. At the same time, it's unlike anything I've had, so I can't really knock it either. The best I can do is note its characteristics and give my take. So there you have it.

3.57/5  rDev -16.8%

375ml bottle, caged and corked. Pours a golden orange with a large fizzy white head that recedes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sour and tart fruits (apples) with some sugary sweetness and champagne. A little yeast comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sour tart apples with a dry champagne-like finish. The mouthfeel is medium with sharp bubbly carbonation.

Overall, a good beer, but not one of the better sours I've had. I don't care for the champagne and apples. It almost seems like a cross between champagne and cider. It's not as complex as I was expecting.

3.58/5  rDev -16.6%

I popped the cork and it took off like a rocket. I was ready for it, but still nothing I could do. I sucked some of the spillage up off the counter, and it stung the hell out of my chapped lips. OUCH!
When I finally managed to get it in the glass, it produces mostly a huge white head. It eventually turned in to a yellow-orange beer with a lot of bubbles. I suppose the aroma is pretty much the same for all gueuze. Cob webs, dusty, oak barrel, 'horse blanket'. Not really sure what else to say about it. Over the top tart. Very much like orange juice concentrate. Not a bad flavor, be very aggressive. Medium body. Highly effervescent. Dry, but not as dry as expected. I wish I would have shared this with somebody. I like it, but its a bit much for me.

3.58/5  rDev -16.6%

Bottle shared at tasting courtesy of Dewbrewer, I believe. Thank you!
Pours orangish colored with a wispy white head. Smell is lighty funky sour barnyard. Taste is balanced sweet and sourness. Begins very lightly sweet and then finishes tart and dry. Bubbly, fizzy active carbonation and a nice moutfeel that I haven't gotten in some guezes. This was really nice and easily one of my favorites of the style

3.62/5  rDev -15.6%

2009 bottling, another good find of Jeff's. We had a 2010 sitting as well but decided to save it for another day. 4 oz. poured into a FFF Teku on June 9th, 2012.

A - Clear, light golden coloring, with no head, retention, or lacing. Very much like Champagne.

S - A bit of funk here. Light manure, earthy notes, and wet hay. More herbal and citrus/acidic tones.

T - Fairly sour, a bit puckering, big lemon-lime note with a touch of oak barrel.

M - Light body, high carbonation, semi-dry finish.

D - Sort of a dark horse that I really knew nothing of beforehand. I like the lightness of the funk with the cleanliness of the drink. Makes for something easily drinkable for just one person.

3.63/5  rDev -15.4%

so...excitement because this is such a well respected example of this style, to which i am new!

Pours initially with a lot of foam and head, which is well controlled in the tulip. dark straw to honey haze color. cream white head tames to light lacing with a thin lid. light carbonation.

s- barely sweet tucked under the sour, pickle sour. intimidating
some barnyard funk. some vinegar

t- boa! first sip is crazy pucking with pickle and cherry like sour.
tang and tart almost a warhead. what a crazy experience.

m- soft light carbonation on a light medium body, saps sour across the tongue.

d- tough to say, surely only one of these a night if even in a week.

i need to go back and ask for a more beginner version of this style, it is mostly fun that is sooo different and not in an extreme trendy way.
will have to revisit, cause i am too blown away

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) from Brouwerij Girardin