Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) - Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

pDev: 10%
Brouwerij Girardin

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Unfiltered version.

(Beer added by: marburg on 09-28-2002)
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

A-straw gold. Huge eggshell head.

S-wet hay. Funk, lemon rind. no hops. Moderate old oak.

T-sour but not overwhelmingly so. more lemon rind. earthy funk. Some stomach acid.

M-bone dry. Really nice.

D-One of the more drinkable of the unsweetened gueuzes. I always forget how world class this beer is. Doesn't get the play of a Cantilon or Dries Fontaine but this should be up there as a top gueuze.

organicbrewer, Mar 11, 2010
4.3/5  rDev 0%

Shared by schen9303. Poured from a 375ml corked and caged bottle into a Portsmouth snifter.

A: Gentle pour yields a 1 finger fine, fluffy white head with great legs. Beer is a cloudy reddish-grapefruit. Lacing had great stick and forms nice patterns on the side of the glass. Judging from the pop of the cork at the outset, I expected this one to be a bit more carbonated... still though, a tasty looking beer.

S: Lemon juice, vinegar, oak, and a very very distinct burnt rubber odor that faded with time to be replaced by a foul sourness.

T: Pure bliss... sour from the very beginning to the end. Lemon, sweet vinegar at the outset which never fade. Oakiness towards the middle and a distinct hop bitterness makes a slight appearance at the end just before the finish. Probably the most amazingly balanced sour that I've ever come across. Never overwhelming but with a taste that really just keeps me going back for more.

M: Light bodied, highly carbonated but surprisingly smooth. Dry throughout except in the finish, this beer is really turning out to be unique in a number of respects. Finishes messy, leaving a lasting sour twinge and a nagging hop bitterness in its wake.

D: Really a hidden gem among all the highly hyped and sought after sours, this humble little beer has got to be one of the best of the bunch. Great balanced flavor with the feel to pull it all together, I hope I get to revisit this one again and again. Despite the nose, which could use a little work, this is simply an exceptional beer.

SpeedwayJim, Mar 11, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +4%

375ml corked & caged bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: A moderately vigorous pour yields two inches of coarse, slightly off-white foam atop a radiant orange body. There's lots of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass, and a bit of yeast sediment. The head shows good retention and leaves an extremely thick coating of lace all around the glass. This is my first gueuze, so I don't have much of a frame of reference, but I'd say that this beer is stunning by any standards. I can hardly imagine a prettier lambic.

S: Very tart, very funky, very nice. The nose is simultaneously powerful and delicate, with major sourness coexisting seamlessly with light grassy and (especially) floral notes. The tartness has some distinct sour apple to it, and the background has just a hint of barnyard Brett. Very complex and frankly delightful.

T: Tastes every bit as good as it smells, but not quite the same. There's still a bit of floral character up front, but it's largely subdued by the fruity, puckering sourness - straight up sour apples here. The wild yeast really only shows up on the aftertaste, and my one complaint would be that I'd like to see a bit more balance between the funk and the sourness. Still, this is just delicious.

M: Light-to-medium, fairly sticky body with a decent amount of very fine, very soft carbonation. A bit more on the bubble front would be welcome, as the stickiness seems to go hand in hand with the persistent sourness, and drowns out the little bit of funk on the finish. Good mouthfeel nevertheless.

D: It's certainly intense, but I also find the pucker-inducing sourness to be quite refreshing - perhaps not to the same level as Ithaca Brute, but still quite a pleasure to drink.

Notes: I've really enjoyed the few American Wild Ales I've had, so I was hugely looking forward to my first genuine lambic (I don't count Lindeman's Framboise for a second) - and, boy, was I not disappointed. This gueuze was everything I expected and then some, and I can't wait to try Cantillon's basic gueuze to compare. I have a feeling my wallet is going to be hating me in the future, as I can say with a fair amount of certainty that sours and I get along quite well.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Mar 10, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Finnally found a bottle of this in San Diego.

Pours a cloudy deep orange color with a white head that sort of dissapated and left a ring/film. Little bit of lacing.

Aroma is super Brett funkyness. Lots of horse blanket with a little sweetness. Very complex.

Tastes as it smells but actually more sour than the aroma would suggest. Nice funk, sour and slight malt flavor going on.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry. High carbonation like there should be.

Overall an excelent example of a gueuze that I was glad I could find.

PeprSprYoFace, Mar 09, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

so...excitement because this is such a well respected example of this style, to which i am new!

Pours initially with a lot of foam and head, which is well controlled in the tulip. dark straw to honey haze color. cream white head tames to light lacing with a thin lid. light carbonation.

s- barely sweet tucked under the sour, pickle sour. intimidating
some barnyard funk. some vinegar

t- boa! first sip is crazy pucking with pickle and cherry like sour.
tang and tart almost a warhead. what a crazy experience.

m- soft light carbonation on a light medium body, saps sour across the tongue.

d- tough to say, surely only one of these a night if even in a week.

i need to go back and ask for a more beginner version of this style, it is mostly fun that is sooo different and not in an extreme trendy way.
will have to revisit, cause i am too blown away

Wegbier, Mar 04, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Paid $9.99 for a 375ml bottle from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA. Poured into a Bruery Tulip to review.

Light and fizzy pour with a white head of about an inch. Cloudy and pale orange in color. A thin layer of retention. Just a bit of lace.

Lots of musky barnyard funk on the nose with wild yeast, white grape and grassy hops as well.

The taste is even more puckeringly sour than my nose predicted. Just that first sip gets the buds going, but it tapers down as you become more accustomed to it.

Dry and astringent. Lighter bodied. Lively carbonation. Crisp finish.

This is the first beer of this style that I can honestly say I have enjoyed. Perhaps it is my tastes developing, but this beer needs to get some credit for it.

ibbjamin, Mar 03, 2010
3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

33cl bottle at 't Brugs Beertje, served in a gueuze tumbler, Girardin Gueuze 1882 Black is murky dull gold with a creamy white head that leaves almost no lace.

Smell is light, a bit musty, with a dry sweetness.

Taste is very nicely balanced, a nice sour tartness, a bit soapy though.

Mouthfeel is dry and acidic, medium bodied, with rounded carbonation.

Drinkability is good, a well made gueuze with great tartness, but not my favorite.

ccrida, Feb 24, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet.

I will start off saying this is the first time I have had this style so this will be a slightly difficult review but starting off with the highest rated Gueuze on BA isn't a bad way to get things going.

A- Color is a copper golden color. No real head to speak of but there is a nice ring of bubbles around the top of the liquid and some small bubbles working their way up from the bottom.

S- First thing I smell is more associated as a taste in my mind. From it I can certainly expect sourness to come. Definitely Belgian yeast. Some citric smells are in there. Lemon comes to mind.

T/M- Yeah, definitely a new one for my poor virgin palate. Its likes a sour patch kids minus the sugar. I actually am enjoying the flavor more then I was expecting I would. It is very sour and tart but it's fun to sip. It wakes up my taste buds and makes my mouth salivate due to the tartness. It is a nice change from the usual American IPA and stout. A few moments after each sip I want another even though it feels like it is demolishing my taste buds.

D- Well definitely enjoyed having one 375ML bottle but I don't think I would want more then that. Definitely a sipper for me. This is a good beer when I want a change from any of the mainstream, heavily consumed beers.

boogyman, Feb 23, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a bottle into a stunted goblet. Beer is yellow and mostly clear, there are a few floaties in there but it looks fine. Forms a thin head and there is no lacing. Head falls away, carbonation is mild and not very steady.

Aroma is lemony and funky. Lots of citric sour in there. The funk comes up a little later, smells like a sour bomb.

I gave a sip of this beer to a friend who has never had a guezue and she described it as piss flavored candy. Its a great beer though. Bright, sour, finishes tart, slightly dry but doesn't dry the mouth out. A slight funk on the backend, medium to low bodied. An overall really good gueuze and a good beer.

drabmuh, Feb 23, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a hazy honey yellow color with white head that fades to a nice lace on top of the brew. OK lacing too. Smell is largely tart lemon peel, some wood, crisp green apple, maybe a hint of funk. Taste follows suit, though adding in some vingegar notes. Sour apple and lemon zest dominate. Some yeastiness too. Lots of flavor, dry on the finish, but definitely causes the salivary glands to do some work. Very drinkable, a real treat for sure.

LordAdmNelson, Feb 18, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

375 ml caged and corked bottle. Served in a tulip, the beer pours a slightly hazy gold/orange color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is tart/sour apples, vinegar, lemon peel and some funk. The taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like tart green apples, lemon, funk, and a bit of yeast and peaches. Nice lingering tart finish, too. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it has good carbonation and finishes dry. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and enjoyable to drink. Overall I think this is a very good gueuze, I'll definitely pick this up again the next time I find a bottle.

bluejacket74, Feb 15, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Decided to open this one to finish off Super Bowl weekend. Poured from a 375 ml bottle into my Dogfish snifter. Pours a murky pale gold color with a thin white covering on top. There wasn't much head to it but what was there left good lacing.

Aroma is sour and tart as expected. It has a mild sweetness and citrus smell to it to go along with the tartness. The taste is sour and tart as well. It has a sweet tartness to it that isn't unlike the sweet tart candy. Sour apple with an acidic kick is what I'm getting most out of the taste.

The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with above average carbonation. Overall, I don't have much experience with sours yet, but from what I have had of the style this is a very good one. It has almost a candy like sweet tartness to it that makes it very tasty and drinkable.

billab914, Feb 08, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +4%

I drank this from 375 ml bottle into a tall chalice.

The beer pours a murky gold with a light white head that doesn't rises very much. What does come has good retention and lacing.

The aroma is medium in strength light, light horse blanket skunk mostly. Its nice, gives you the funk you're looking for but not overpowering in doing so.

The taste is exactly as you would expect after the aroma. If gives you what you're looking for but doesn't knock you on your ass. The taste is horse blanket but it is so smooth I can't believe I can just crush this.

The feel is very nice, lasting flavor leaves a dry feeling.

This is very drinkable.

Overall, this is great. Easily the best and most drinkable gueze out there.

jrallen34, Feb 04, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle into Lost Abbey Rastal Teku.

A - Pours a hazy golden/orangish with a white frothy head. There's a good amount of retention and a nice cap left behind after the initial pour. Some lacing is evident along the sides of the glass as the head disipiates.

S - Smells, well, funky. Sour/tart funk, barnyard notes, and citrus/floral hints. Without getting overly fancy, it's a funk bomb of Gueuze goodness.

T - A nice amount of floral and sour/tart notes. Lots of funk, which is what I was really expecting. There a nice touch of floral that I wasn't expecting and gives this beer some finesse as opposed to just a huge sour bomb.

M - Light, crisp, and clean. Good carbonation that leads to a semi-dry finish.

D - One of the best this style has to offer, IMO. This is only my first experience with this beer but I'm sure this will become a staple in my cellar since I can now purchase locally.

I drank this after drinking DDG earlier, and I must say, they're pretty darn close. $$$-wise, this is a bargain compared to DDG.

Sean9689, Jan 28, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12.7 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a firm 1.5 finger head, good retention.

S: Notes of Brett/wet sock and citrus, nothing too crazy.

T: Serious lemon-lime juice attacks immediately. Big acidity. Complex, with horse blanket Brett funk flavours finishing out the back end. Like an imaginary blend of Boon and Cantillon Gueuze.

M: Vibrant acidity, smooth, definitely palate cleansing with a nice long aftertaste.

D: This is a delicious complex beverage that needs to be experienced. Once of the best lambics I've ever had.

Halcyondays, Jan 27, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

G – Flute. I couldn’t imagine using another glass, not even my beloved Duvel tulip.

A – Surprisingly brassy hue of gold, slightly cloudy, bubbly, no real head or lacing. Champagne-like appearance, excepting the hue.

S – Sour apple, lemon rind, and funky hay / leather.

T – It starts with bitter lemon zest, segues into tart flavors of sour apple and an impression of charred wood, and finishes with a mouth-puckering astringent finish that makes your salivary glands go wild. It tastes very good, if somewhat exotic.

M – The sharp carbonation expands the palate of flavors into harmonized gustatory-olfactory sensations.

D – This is very nice, though it is more of a rare treat than it is a regular option.

ktrillionaire, Jan 24, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12.7 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Somewhat hazy orange/brown color. Dull and coppery. Half inch or less of white head forms, falling quickly to a thick collar. Collar persists throughout with moderate lacing.

S - Most noticable is an aroma of lemon juice and sour apples, with a slant towards the lemon juice. "Funk" and earth are present as well, but not as promenient as some gueuzes I've had. Leather and hay spring to mind also.

T - Sour apple (or at least the best way I can describe it) appears first but moves on quickly to a powerful acidic sourness; this really is like drinking lemon juice. Not even fresh squeezed stuff, but the from concentrate stuff. Chemical-like with an almost medicinal overtone. Somewhere during the peak of the sourness mid to late palate, the "funk" appears, albeit faintly in comparison to the "uber lemon juice" experience. The standard leather/hay/manure flavors come into play, with the emphasis on fresh earth. As the sourness tapers off slightly near the finish, a sharp bitterness takes its place. The combination is scathing. Hints of wood linger in the aftertaste.

M - Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. At first, the carbonation seemed to intensify the sourness, but as the beer has warmed it seems a bit too flat. Minor complaints, as the mouthfeel seemed to suit what was going on in the flavor department.

D - Well, for a gueuze I suppose this is more drinkable than the few others I've sampled. I think I'll actually finish this bottle, but I still don't think I'd consider this a "pleasant" experience. Gueuzes aren't my thing, but I do like to try one ever so often. Maybe the style is *slightly* growing on me, or maybe 1882 is a milder, more drinkable brew in an already challenging style.

PatrickJR, Jan 16, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Pours a dark, clear gold with a perpetually refreshed white head that lasts throughout

S - The funk is there, but deceptively so...almost as an aftersmell. Green apples, very clean alcohol (not expected at 5%) and dare I say urine!

T - Great! Sour green apples, lemon zest, and a bit of an acidic twist. Rather dry.

M - Thin and light, very well carbonated.

D - this is the best 10 gueze I think I've ever had. Being relatively easily available, I look forward to returning to it regularly

NYCWheatFanSC, Jan 16, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Inflatablechair brought over this gem a while back... reviewed from paper notes... Thanks Sam!!

Big white head drops fast... hazy pale golden brew...

Very funky... more than my nose is used to. barnyard... funked hay ... so that is what "horse blanket" means. Beyond all the funk a tart sorta lemony sour aroma.

way more sour than the nose... sucks the saliva from my head .. tannic woodiness and balanced funk.. lemon ... green apple skin...

lite body and big carbonation...

Thanks Sam.... Glad I found this notebook.

4/4/4.5/4.5/4.5

JohnGalt1, Jan 14, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Heavy green 375 mL bottle poured into an oversized tulip. After a slight twist of the cork, the beer practically opens itself. I like the picture on the label warning pregnant women not to drink.

A- Pours a hazy pale-gold to gold with a white, large-bubbled head. The head recedes quickly and the remaining bubbles arrange themselves around the outside of the glass, giving a coral-like collar. When consumed, those bubbles toss splatters of lacing on the walls of the glass. No signs of carbonation, but who knows with all that haze.

S- The tulip permeates the immediate area with the smell of a funky farmhouse. Getting closer to the beer reveals much more lactic acidity. As the beer warms, hay and wood become more prevalent. A sour patch-kid's cologne.

T- There is more than just a beginning, middle, and end to this story. Before you have time to react, the glands in your mouth swell and wriggle. After a second, the carbonation gives off an oak-like perfume followed by a crisp and clean hay or farmhouse funkiness. A small amount of sweetness is left behind. As the beer warms, my mouth's reactions rearrange themselves in various orders. A complex gueuze that doesn't over-do it on the acidity (not that you can really over do it, in my opinion).

M- Dry and light with a refreshing, spritzy carbonation.

D- Highly drinkable gueuze. Most are this low in alcohol, but some have such high acidity that they can't be handled in large quantities. I wouldn't mind trying a large quantity of this.

Pecorasc, Jan 13, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

This one has a nice pour, a clear copper color with a two finger head that dissolves down to a fine film that leaves a touch of lacing. Surprisingly clear for an unfiltered brew. Nose is drying funky sourness up front, then some champagne, lots of fruitiness (apricots?). Cracker-y breadiness (if that makes sense) shows up just a bit. Huge flavor to this one. Flavor is likewise - obviously stronger on the funky sourness, and a little milder on the fruits. A touch of cheese and white wine. Tasty brew, if you're feeling like a sour one. Body is busy with strong carbonation that highlights the tartness well. Overall, a very nice brew, although I'm not sure if I could drink more than one.

soupyman10, Jan 02, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Pours with a small, white head that settles quickly and leaves little lace. The body is gold colored, with good clarity.

S - Subtle funk with wheat and strong, lactic sourness. The wild character is slightly peppery and has floral, perfume-like notes.

T - A sweet, bready malt note up front that is quickly washed away by mouth-coating, lactic sourness. Musty funk with pineapple and peach notes in the middle. Finishes with some peppery notes as well as musty wild yeast and refreshing sourness.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Very drinkable with a good level of acidity and nice complexity. I particularly enjoy the peach character of the flavor, it is a somewhat unusual flavor to find in a lambic and quite pleasant.

nickfl, Dec 28, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Started with a fantome saison, now savoring this one. I think following the fantome with this was a nice progression.

Note: it looks like the beer was stored upside-down for some period of time as there is sediment on the cork and there is sediment around the neck of the bottle. I'm not sure that's making it drink much different, however.

Appearance is lightly cloudy, certainly not as dense as other unfiltered beers. Ambery orange in color. A one-finger frothy head upon pouring right onto the bottom of the glass. It slowly dissipates. The many tiny bubbles line the glass almost as much as they line the surface of the beer. After quite a while they rejoin the beer but that seems appropriate.

Smell is juicy funk with a noticeable dust-burning-on-a-lightbulb "quality."

Taste is dirty funk [notes of the burnt dust here as well], definite grapefruit rind [versus citrus juice], super rindy at that, cranberries too. The funk has a certain tree-bark taste that is detracting for me.

Mouthfeel is great. Tiny bubbles, moderate to above-average carbonation, slightly puckering, but really only on the first or first two sips.

Drinkability is not bad for sure, but one is definitely plenty for a sitting in my opinion. I'd much prefer drinking a lambic that isn't one of the best I've had over drinking just an okay beer of most other styles. So I can't [/shouldn't] complain too much...

Crittervision, Dec 25, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -45.8%

Upon buying this, I didn't know that this was a sour beer. As for sour beers...I still don't like them. Pours a very clear gold with relatively no haze. All the sediment settled in the bottom. Very tart, sort of dry, with a hint of cheese. On the palate, dry, tart and a little bit of currant. I wish that I had some food that you eat with wines to go along with this. This was not a good brewday beer. Not a good beer for me, but for people that enjoy lambic sours.

xcrunner78, Dec 22, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

This is an excellent, complex gueuze with a nicely assertive funky lambic wild yeast character. I pretty much think of this as a paradigmatic example of the style.

Hazy dark gold, it has a huge off-white head steadily shrinking to rich foamy ring, some foamy wisps and some nice, foamy lace.

Aroma is strong funky yeast "lambic" character, wet hay, hint of cheese, sweet, musty white wine (Riesling), faint fermented light fruit.

Taste is tart, citric, with dry apricot, light tangy funky yeast character, light fruity sweetness and faint sweet white wine underneath, and a bit more hard to pin down. It has aftertaste of funky yeasty dough and dry apricot.

Offa, Dec 18, 2009