Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) - Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

pDev: 10%
Brouwerij Girardin

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Unfiltered version.

(Beer added by: marburg on 09-28-2002)
stakem

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Green bottle with a cork ref cx2010. Opens with a loud pop and fizz. Pours a light orange color with a white head that receeds to a thin lace on top of the beer with spotty lacing left on the glass. Nose is both funky and tart with musty yeasty notes and some citrus zip in the back of the aroma. Taste includes some puckering tartness upfront that blends through a very lemon-like citrusy body that finishes sour. As it warms, there are more notes of mustiness and funk. Faint lingerting taste of subtle fruit almost like apricots blended in with the funk and tartness. Light body with moderate carbonation. Very drinkable as my mouth salivates to take the next sip. The tartness of this gueze is potent enough to burn the back of the nose and throat yet strangely smooth for a gueze. Very subtle earthiness about this that suggests oak without coming straight forward or bold with the oak characteristics. Very good.

04-16-2010 11:58:31 | More by stakem
punkrkr27

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Orange-gold pour with a big, rocky, white head. Loads of sour funk in the aroma with some hints of chardonnay, oak, green apple, lemon zest, grass, grain, leather, and a little sweetness that i can't quite describe. The acidity and sourness immediately hits the tongue first but then cherry, strawberry, and lemon hints start to develop. The malt flavors are grassy, dry grains. Again the flavor has a little sweetness to it that I'm not sure how to describe. Medium body with lots of carbonation that finishes very dry and clean. This is definitely a well crafted gueuze and the complexity and quality reflect that.

04-13-2010 19:12:11 | More by punkrkr27
vacax

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Girardin Gueuze 1882 is basically the mac daddy of gueuze. Pours with a huge and thick white head, this one is cloudy yellow-gold and as the tide of foam recedes there is a thick carpet of delicate lace left in its wake. The aroma is lemony, floral and sweet but funky and sour at the same time. Tastes lemony, funky, floral, and rosey even. Light to medium bodied with a full but not quite bubbly feel. One of the best. There are so many sours one can trade their proverbial left nut for, but this one is still going to be better than 99% of them.

04-10-2010 02:52:48 | More by vacax
hawks10

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

375ml bottle poured into my Ithaca Beer Co. tulip...

Pours a densely hazy pale orange with a bunch of fluffy, slightly off white head which takes forever to dissipate, actually, it never completely goes away...

Lemony, tart citrus and acidic in the nose. I think I overused my nose here, been sniffing for about 10 minutes to try and figure out the other complex scents and I can't smell anything anymore...there is some barnyard funk, but not much and an overall sense of mustiness, but overall my nose always travels back to the acidic lemon...

One of the more tart and puckering Gueuzes I have tried, this one was fun! This is pretty astringent, dries out the tip of your tongue and the back of your throat. Very citrusy, puckering but more bitter than expected, somewhat woody which I think contributes to the bitter and dry sensations...pretty complex and quite tasty...

Very well carbonated and quite prickly on the tongue. Crisp and refreshing while at the same time being quite astringent, kind of an oxymoron and kind of confusing, but enjoyable...

04-06-2010 05:14:06 | More by hawks10
itsromy

mmm... sour beer...

Very good Lambic. Nice pour; appearance is a nice golden color. The taste isn't too strong as to where it hits the back side of your jaw... Just right... Also, it doesn't hit too hard so it is possible to drink a couple if you wanted to.

All in all... I've concluded that it is one of my favorite lambics to date.

04-04-2010 08:21:26 | More by itsromy
Mora2000

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to exiled for sharing this beer.

The beer pours a hazy brownish-orange color with a white head. The aroma is tartness with some sugar and not much funk. The flavor is tart lemon, oak, vanilla with some citrus and little to no funk. The beer is very, very dry and very juicy tasting. It finishes very tart. Low-medium carbonation and a thin mouthfeel.

03-17-2010 03:48:18 | More by Mora2000
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

This is my first Gueuze and I have been waiting to enjoy it as a treat to myself.

A- This is a crystal clear deep golden yellow. There was a thin creamy head with decent lacing.

S - It has a strong scent of green apple with the strong tart/sweet scent that goes along with it. There is also a hint of citrus, vinegar, and other undefinable characteristics.

T - At first sip I don't like the taste because it is very very dry and I wasn't expecting it. Upon second, third, fourth, etc... sips more and more layers of flavor are exposed. It has a definite tartness, and for being someone who has never been a fan of tart foods and candies, I really find this flavorful and delicious. I get the tart flavor as a lingering finish.

M - There is nothing special or out of the ordinary for mouthfeel. I think this is a good thing because it allows you to focus on all the craziness the flavor brings.

D - I wouldn't call this an easy drinker, but my guess is that this style isn't something you would or should pound down a few. It is a great sipper.

Highly recommended.

03-15-2010 03:05:57 | More by VWBuggirl
Bubba83

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

Lots of yeasty sludge around the neck of the bottle, that seemed weird. Looking down inside the bottle, it looks kind of foggy down there, weird and eerie. Poured into a tulip at 50 degrees and admired its color immediately. A perfect apricot hue, but very murky indeed, can't see through it too well. The amount of bright white head was perfect, about two finger widths, and has a nice froth to it with good lacing.

Smells funky, some barnyard and a bunch of sweet tarts. Apricot and other stone fruits are in the aroma too. I'm struggling with the rest, complex but I'm not qualified to describe it.

The first flavor I get is the stone fruits, chiefly apricot, with some peach, and green apple too. There's a nice sweetness here that is quite fruity indeed. Then as it explores the rest of my palate my mouth puckers up and I get that sweet tart flavor, yummy contrast of sweet and sour. Finish is a bit funky with some barnyard flare.

Feels about right for a geuze, a nice level of carbonation, nothing too extreme.

Drinks really well, it's not too mouth puckeringly sour. Well, maybe at first it is a bit, but I adjusted pretty quickly. This is a style I need to get into a bit more, I'm digging it.

03-12-2010 09:12:15 | More by Bubba83
organicbrewer

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

A-straw gold. Huge eggshell head.

S-wet hay. Funk, lemon rind. no hops. Moderate old oak.

T-sour but not overwhelmingly so. more lemon rind. earthy funk. Some stomach acid.

M-bone dry. Really nice.

D-One of the more drinkable of the unsweetened gueuzes. I always forget how world class this beer is. Doesn't get the play of a Cantilon or Dries Fontaine but this should be up there as a top gueuze.

03-11-2010 23:24:10 | More by organicbrewer
SpeedwayJim

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Shared by schen9303. Poured from a 375ml corked and caged bottle into a Portsmouth snifter.

A: Gentle pour yields a 1 finger fine, fluffy white head with great legs. Beer is a cloudy reddish-grapefruit. Lacing had great stick and forms nice patterns on the side of the glass. Judging from the pop of the cork at the outset, I expected this one to be a bit more carbonated... still though, a tasty looking beer.

S: Lemon juice, vinegar, oak, and a very very distinct burnt rubber odor that faded with time to be replaced by a foul sourness.

T: Pure bliss... sour from the very beginning to the end. Lemon, sweet vinegar at the outset which never fade. Oakiness towards the middle and a distinct hop bitterness makes a slight appearance at the end just before the finish. Probably the most amazingly balanced sour that I've ever come across. Never overwhelming but with a taste that really just keeps me going back for more.

M: Light bodied, highly carbonated but surprisingly smooth. Dry throughout except in the finish, this beer is really turning out to be unique in a number of respects. Finishes messy, leaving a lasting sour twinge and a nagging hop bitterness in its wake.

D: Really a hidden gem among all the highly hyped and sought after sours, this humble little beer has got to be one of the best of the bunch. Great balanced flavor with the feel to pull it all together, I hope I get to revisit this one again and again. Despite the nose, which could use a little work, this is simply an exceptional beer.

03-11-2010 04:57:36 | More by SpeedwayJim
woosterbill

Kentucky

4.47/5  rDev +4%

375ml corked & caged bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: A moderately vigorous pour yields two inches of coarse, slightly off-white foam atop a radiant orange body. There's lots of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass, and a bit of yeast sediment. The head shows good retention and leaves an extremely thick coating of lace all around the glass. This is my first gueuze, so I don't have much of a frame of reference, but I'd say that this beer is stunning by any standards. I can hardly imagine a prettier lambic.

S: Very tart, very funky, very nice. The nose is simultaneously powerful and delicate, with major sourness coexisting seamlessly with light grassy and (especially) floral notes. The tartness has some distinct sour apple to it, and the background has just a hint of barnyard Brett. Very complex and frankly delightful.

T: Tastes every bit as good as it smells, but not quite the same. There's still a bit of floral character up front, but it's largely subdued by the fruity, puckering sourness - straight up sour apples here. The wild yeast really only shows up on the aftertaste, and my one complaint would be that I'd like to see a bit more balance between the funk and the sourness. Still, this is just delicious.

M: Light-to-medium, fairly sticky body with a decent amount of very fine, very soft carbonation. A bit more on the bubble front would be welcome, as the stickiness seems to go hand in hand with the persistent sourness, and drowns out the little bit of funk on the finish. Good mouthfeel nevertheless.

D: It's certainly intense, but I also find the pucker-inducing sourness to be quite refreshing - perhaps not to the same level as Ithaca Brute, but still quite a pleasure to drink.

Notes: I've really enjoyed the few American Wild Ales I've had, so I was hugely looking forward to my first genuine lambic (I don't count Lindeman's Framboise for a second) - and, boy, was I not disappointed. This gueuze was everything I expected and then some, and I can't wait to try Cantillon's basic gueuze to compare. I have a feeling my wallet is going to be hating me in the future, as I can say with a fair amount of certainty that sours and I get along quite well.

Cheers!

03-10-2010 04:12:07 | More by woosterbill
PeprSprYoFace

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Finnally found a bottle of this in San Diego.

Pours a cloudy deep orange color with a white head that sort of dissapated and left a ring/film. Little bit of lacing.

Aroma is super Brett funkyness. Lots of horse blanket with a little sweetness. Very complex.

Tastes as it smells but actually more sour than the aroma would suggest. Nice funk, sour and slight malt flavor going on.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry. High carbonation like there should be.

Overall an excelent example of a gueuze that I was glad I could find.

03-09-2010 03:01:14 | More by PeprSprYoFace
Wegbier

Colorado

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

so...excitement because this is such a well respected example of this style, to which i am new!

Pours initially with a lot of foam and head, which is well controlled in the tulip. dark straw to honey haze color. cream white head tames to light lacing with a thin lid. light carbonation.

s- barely sweet tucked under the sour, pickle sour. intimidating
some barnyard funk. some vinegar

t- boa! first sip is crazy pucking with pickle and cherry like sour.
tang and tart almost a warhead. what a crazy experience.

m- soft light carbonation on a light medium body, saps sour across the tongue.

d- tough to say, surely only one of these a night if even in a week.

i need to go back and ask for a more beginner version of this style, it is mostly fun that is sooo different and not in an extreme trendy way.
will have to revisit, cause i am too blown away

03-04-2010 05:04:08 | More by Wegbier
ibbjamin

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Paid $9.99 for a 375ml bottle from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA. Poured into a Bruery Tulip to review.

Light and fizzy pour with a white head of about an inch. Cloudy and pale orange in color. A thin layer of retention. Just a bit of lace.

Lots of musky barnyard funk on the nose with wild yeast, white grape and grassy hops as well.

The taste is even more puckeringly sour than my nose predicted. Just that first sip gets the buds going, but it tapers down as you become more accustomed to it.

Dry and astringent. Lighter bodied. Lively carbonation. Crisp finish.

This is the first beer of this style that I can honestly say I have enjoyed. Perhaps it is my tastes developing, but this beer needs to get some credit for it.

03-03-2010 04:50:22 | More by ibbjamin
ccrida

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

33cl bottle at 't Brugs Beertje, served in a gueuze tumbler, Girardin Gueuze 1882 Black is murky dull gold with a creamy white head that leaves almost no lace.

Smell is light, a bit musty, with a dry sweetness.

Taste is very nicely balanced, a nice sour tartness, a bit soapy though.

Mouthfeel is dry and acidic, medium bodied, with rounded carbonation.

Drinkability is good, a well made gueuze with great tartness, but not my favorite.

02-24-2010 22:54:24 | More by ccrida
boogyman

Washington

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet.

I will start off saying this is the first time I have had this style so this will be a slightly difficult review but starting off with the highest rated Gueuze on BA isn't a bad way to get things going.

A- Color is a copper golden color. No real head to speak of but there is a nice ring of bubbles around the top of the liquid and some small bubbles working their way up from the bottom.

S- First thing I smell is more associated as a taste in my mind. From it I can certainly expect sourness to come. Definitely Belgian yeast. Some citric smells are in there. Lemon comes to mind.

T/M- Yeah, definitely a new one for my poor virgin palate. Its likes a sour patch kids minus the sugar. I actually am enjoying the flavor more then I was expecting I would. It is very sour and tart but it's fun to sip. It wakes up my taste buds and makes my mouth salivate due to the tartness. It is a nice change from the usual American IPA and stout. A few moments after each sip I want another even though it feels like it is demolishing my taste buds.

D- Well definitely enjoyed having one 375ML bottle but I don't think I would want more then that. Definitely a sipper for me. This is a good beer when I want a change from any of the mainstream, heavily consumed beers.

02-23-2010 06:27:35 | More by boogyman
drabmuh

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a bottle into a stunted goblet. Beer is yellow and mostly clear, there are a few floaties in there but it looks fine. Forms a thin head and there is no lacing. Head falls away, carbonation is mild and not very steady.

Aroma is lemony and funky. Lots of citric sour in there. The funk comes up a little later, smells like a sour bomb.

I gave a sip of this beer to a friend who has never had a guezue and she described it as piss flavored candy. Its a great beer though. Bright, sour, finishes tart, slightly dry but doesn't dry the mouth out. A slight funk on the backend, medium to low bodied. An overall really good gueuze and a good beer.

02-23-2010 03:57:50 | More by drabmuh
LordAdmNelson

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a hazy honey yellow color with white head that fades to a nice lace on top of the brew. OK lacing too. Smell is largely tart lemon peel, some wood, crisp green apple, maybe a hint of funk. Taste follows suit, though adding in some vingegar notes. Sour apple and lemon zest dominate. Some yeastiness too. Lots of flavor, dry on the finish, but definitely causes the salivary glands to do some work. Very drinkable, a real treat for sure.

02-18-2010 05:22:08 | More by LordAdmNelson
bluejacket74

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

375 ml caged and corked bottle. Served in a tulip, the beer pours a slightly hazy gold/orange color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is tart/sour apples, vinegar, lemon peel and some funk. The taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like tart green apples, lemon, funk, and a bit of yeast and peaches. Nice lingering tart finish, too. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it has good carbonation and finishes dry. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and enjoyable to drink. Overall I think this is a very good gueuze, I'll definitely pick this up again the next time I find a bottle.

02-15-2010 23:32:12 | More by bluejacket74
billab914

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Decided to open this one to finish off Super Bowl weekend. Poured from a 375 ml bottle into my Dogfish snifter. Pours a murky pale gold color with a thin white covering on top. There wasn't much head to it but what was there left good lacing.

Aroma is sour and tart as expected. It has a mild sweetness and citrus smell to it to go along with the tartness. The taste is sour and tart as well. It has a sweet tartness to it that isn't unlike the sweet tart candy. Sour apple with an acidic kick is what I'm getting most out of the taste.

The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with above average carbonation. Overall, I don't have much experience with sours yet, but from what I have had of the style this is a very good one. It has almost a candy like sweet tartness to it that makes it very tasty and drinkable.

02-08-2010 02:31:19 | More by billab914
jrallen34

4.47/5  rDev +4%

I drank this from 375 ml bottle into a tall chalice.

The beer pours a murky gold with a light white head that doesn't rises very much. What does come has good retention and lacing.

The aroma is medium in strength light, light horse blanket skunk mostly. Its nice, gives you the funk you're looking for but not overpowering in doing so.

The taste is exactly as you would expect after the aroma. If gives you what you're looking for but doesn't knock you on your ass. The taste is horse blanket but it is so smooth I can't believe I can just crush this.

The feel is very nice, lasting flavor leaves a dry feeling.

This is very drinkable.

Overall, this is great. Easily the best and most drinkable gueze out there.

02-04-2010 22:52:18 | More by jrallen34
Sean9689

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

375ml bottle into Lost Abbey Rastal Teku.

A - Pours a hazy golden/orangish with a white frothy head. There's a good amount of retention and a nice cap left behind after the initial pour. Some lacing is evident along the sides of the glass as the head disipiates.

S - Smells, well, funky. Sour/tart funk, barnyard notes, and citrus/floral hints. Without getting overly fancy, it's a funk bomb of Gueuze goodness.

T - A nice amount of floral and sour/tart notes. Lots of funk, which is what I was really expecting. There a nice touch of floral that I wasn't expecting and gives this beer some finesse as opposed to just a huge sour bomb.

M - Light, crisp, and clean. Good carbonation that leads to a semi-dry finish.

D - One of the best this style has to offer, IMO. This is only my first experience with this beer but I'm sure this will become a staple in my cellar since I can now purchase locally.

I drank this after drinking DDG earlier, and I must say, they're pretty darn close. $$$-wise, this is a bargain compared to DDG.

01-28-2010 03:17:03 | More by Sean9689
Halcyondays

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

12.7 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a firm 1.5 finger head, good retention.

S: Notes of Brett/wet sock and citrus, nothing too crazy.

T: Serious lemon-lime juice attacks immediately. Big acidity. Complex, with horse blanket Brett funk flavours finishing out the back end. Like an imaginary blend of Boon and Cantillon Gueuze.

M: Vibrant acidity, smooth, definitely palate cleansing with a nice long aftertaste.

D: This is a delicious complex beverage that needs to be experienced. Once of the best lambics I've ever had.

01-27-2010 23:29:31 | More by Halcyondays
ktrillionaire

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

G – Flute. I couldn’t imagine using another glass, not even my beloved Duvel tulip.

A – Surprisingly brassy hue of gold, slightly cloudy, bubbly, no real head or lacing. Champagne-like appearance, excepting the hue.

S – Sour apple, lemon rind, and funky hay / leather.

T – It starts with bitter lemon zest, segues into tart flavors of sour apple and an impression of charred wood, and finishes with a mouth-puckering astringent finish that makes your salivary glands go wild. It tastes very good, if somewhat exotic.

M – The sharp carbonation expands the palate of flavors into harmonized gustatory-olfactory sensations.

D – This is very nice, though it is more of a rare treat than it is a regular option.

01-24-2010 06:19:18 | More by ktrillionaire
PatrickJR

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12.7 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Somewhat hazy orange/brown color. Dull and coppery. Half inch or less of white head forms, falling quickly to a thick collar. Collar persists throughout with moderate lacing.

S - Most noticable is an aroma of lemon juice and sour apples, with a slant towards the lemon juice. "Funk" and earth are present as well, but not as promenient as some gueuzes I've had. Leather and hay spring to mind also.

T - Sour apple (or at least the best way I can describe it) appears first but moves on quickly to a powerful acidic sourness; this really is like drinking lemon juice. Not even fresh squeezed stuff, but the from concentrate stuff. Chemical-like with an almost medicinal overtone. Somewhere during the peak of the sourness mid to late palate, the "funk" appears, albeit faintly in comparison to the "uber lemon juice" experience. The standard leather/hay/manure flavors come into play, with the emphasis on fresh earth. As the sourness tapers off slightly near the finish, a sharp bitterness takes its place. The combination is scathing. Hints of wood linger in the aftertaste.

M - Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. At first, the carbonation seemed to intensify the sourness, but as the beer has warmed it seems a bit too flat. Minor complaints, as the mouthfeel seemed to suit what was going on in the flavor department.

D - Well, for a gueuze I suppose this is more drinkable than the few others I've sampled. I think I'll actually finish this bottle, but I still don't think I'd consider this a "pleasant" experience. Gueuzes aren't my thing, but I do like to try one ever so often. Maybe the style is *slightly* growing on me, or maybe 1882 is a milder, more drinkable brew in an already challenging style.

01-16-2010 06:12:05 | More by PatrickJR