Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) - Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

Brouwerij Girardin

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 09-28-2002

Unfiltered version.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 998 | Reviews: 528
4.55/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into a tulip glass. The head is big and foamy white. The color is a dull golden, very hazy and lots of carbonation rising to the top. Lacing is strong. The aroma is fruity, grassy, and old back of the closet dust. The taste is tart throughout. Hits the back of the tongue and makes you tweek a bit. Fresh yogurt comes to mind. Not as tart as some Cantillons I have had but strong. The body is light, but with heavy carbonation it made me feel fuller. A great example to enjoy a bottle at a time.

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

2010 vintage. 375ml. bottle gently poured into a Rodenbach flute.

A - Pours a hazy golden-orange with a 1-inch white head that dissipates to a thin ring and slight haze. Visibly effervescent carbonation. Very pretty Gueuze.
S - Aromas of sour green apples, lemon zest, unripe pears, Brett, and dusty "funk". There's a slight whiff of oak present as well.
T - When I was a kid, my grandfather would pick apples for us from this gnarly old apple tree that must have been on the farm for ages. That's what this flavor reminds me of : tart apples, freshly picked from an ancient tree. Notes of lemon juice, oak, white grapes, hay, and Brett are present as well. Nicely balanced level of sourness, right where I like it to be.
M - Clean and crisp, with a medium-low body and sharp, snappy carbonation. Wonderfully vinous finish, really puckers and drys out the palate.
D - Excellent drinkablity, this is right in my comfort zone. An exceptional Gueuze, I'll continue to seek this out whenever I can.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

BX2011 on the cork, I'm assuming this is a relatively young bottle.

Pours an almost clear golden, with a small persistent head. Bubbles continuously flowing up from the bottom of the tulip glass, nice looking beer. Smell is full of dusty funk, brett, and tartness. Taste is very bright and citrusy. Lemons and sour apples. A good amount of lactic sour, without a lot of acetic character. Excellent lambic. Mouthfeel is lively, slightly puckering, and finishes dry. Taking style into account on drinkability, this one goes down pretty easy. It's sour, but not ripping my mouth apart, so I could drink it easily. But a lambic of this quality should be enjoyed over a good amount of time. Overall, an excellent gueuze that is easy to get a hold of.

4.12/5  rDev -4%

A: clear, amber colored beer, thin but nice head, dissipated towards middle with tiny bubbles on side of glass
S: traditional, sour, brett
T: strong sour, slight metallic bite in middle, grapefruit, noticeable malt, well done
M: rounded
D: highly drinkable

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

This Gueuze poured into a Tulip glass a bright semi cloudy yellow. It had a nice fluffy two inch head that floated lovely atop.

Nice nose of sour apples and a bit of lemon.
Musty barn comes through right past the sourness.

WOW!!! I had this beer once before and considered it my favorite out of all the others I've tried so far. But the flavors in this are unbelievable. Just the right amount of sourness along with a really funky almost cheese like(reminiscent of salt and all) complexity. Notes of really old barrel come through in mid sip and offer a bit more of a tanny flavor.

This beer is really creamy. Great amount of carbonation. I think I need to go buy some mussels and fries.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

a: clear golden body with large brett fluff on pour that dissipated but good head retention.

s: sour and sweet lemon funk; belgian yeast.

t:great tartness and sourness resembling lemon and grannysmith apples and a slight hint of oak.

m:nice smooth medium body mouthfeel. finishes dry.

d:a sipper for me. actually took me quite a while (though it never became a chore).

certainly one of the best gueze still being produced.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into a Swiss wine snifter.

Pours the golden color of mature wheat fields. Head is minimal and white, and tiny bubbles rise through the body. The body is nearly perfectly clear, but a small haze keeps this looking traditional. I let the bottle stand upright for two weeks before pouring it.

As soon as the cork was free of the bottle I could smell this beer. All words are failing me to describe this aroma... it has elements of yeast, very slight funk, a wonderful tart/sour smell, something like sourdough and cracked wheat. So wonderful, I can't wait to take a sip of this. It smells 'golden'.

This is an example of true complexity in a beverage. Such a melding of flavors, so integrated that I hardly know how to dissect it with descriptions. Palate-liftingly dry, yet with a touch of sweetness at just the right moments. Sour, yet not puckeringly so. A bit acidic, but not biting. From the Brett I taste tangy fruit and a little barnyard. From the wheat I am comforted with a grainy toasty maltiness. From the yeast I get additional complexity and some nice spicy bite. I am assuming that some or all of this beer was in contact with wood for periods of time, and I feel some tannins and taste some wood, and maybe even a touch of vanilla. I can't give this section a '5' because I don't understand the style fully enough to say whether or not this flavor could be improved in any way, but I suspect that it could somehow.

The mouthfeel is dry and complimented by clean sour tang. Carbonation is on the higher side and is just soul lifting. Drinkability is off the charts, I would drink this every day if I could. Heck, most any time I am drinking most anything else I would trade it for an equal amount of this beer...

Conclusion: I think this is one of the best beers I have tasted. Truly exceptional in almost every way. What an interesting style of beer this is, I feel you could drink it for years and still not fully comprehend the flavors and aromas- something that cannot be said for most American styles of beer. It is one of my goals as a home brewer to brew something that is akin to this style.

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%

cork says 2011, not sure what that means.

pours hazy golden with a hint of dull brown. next to zero head. not much pop from the cork.

lots of deep funk and sour lemon with a subtle skunky scent to it. a hint of dry oak. im really digging the smell.

bit of sweet light lemon up front. quite smooth. sourness kicks in, although that too is a bit smooth. dry oak and funk through out the finish with a slightly more sour flavor.

very smooth and mellow, almost non blended lambic like. very tame carbonation.

this was good, great flavor. i cannot wait to see what my other bottle does with some time on it.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Reviewed from notes 1/31/02011

A: very sour, slight hint of apples or pears

Ap: yellow-orange with a 1 finger white head that dissipated very quickly, leaving a thin white frothy layer, no lacing

B/T: very mild carbonation, smooth, dry, crisp

Af: sour, but sweet at the same time, pears

O: a slow sipper primarily due to the sourness, but very well-balanced.

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

I managed to crack 3 of these over the weekend including a bottle from 05. So I decided I needed to drink one more to give this a proper review.

2010 Vintage.

A: Golden orange/yellow, tiny bit of white head forms and fades quick. Some soapy lace. Pretty much right where every guezue comes in.

S: Wonderful bouquet of tart lemons, wet straw, grass, dusty attic wood, damp basement, horse blanket, old library books. This is the new standard from which all guezues will be judge by my nose.

T: The tart lemon bite is the first thing I get. Yet it's not an overpowering sour. The lactic sour drys your mouth and makes you teeth gritty but doesn't overwhelm you. There are so many different things I pick out. Sour grapes, wet straw, dusty attic wood, band aid, fresh grass clippings, green apples, mildew. The flavor is amazing.

M: Light yet satisfying body. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

D: Well this is as drinkable as it gets for my money. Wonderful in every category. If I had ready access to this beer I would swear off all other beers and drink this exclusively.

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Reviewed from notes...
375 ml cork and caged bottle, pretty sure from 2010, into a Lindeman's Lambic glass...

A - Pours an almost completely clear golden orange color. Even with a pretty rough pour, no real head forms. A nice eggshell white collar and top form with some nice yeasty spots noticeable.

S - Nice dry, musty, funky, barnyard smell. Some lemon zest and orange zest as well. Apple and pear seem to come out as well. Some nice slightloy vinous notes as well.

T - Sour apples, pears and peaches. Really nicely balanced between the sweetness and the sourness. Funky, musty dryness to the profile really brings this one together. Nice acidic sourness.

M - Very nicely carbonated. Crisp, dry and very smooth. Not overly sour or funky, but balanced quite nicely.

D - Really great example of what a gueuze should be. Seems like it would be a great introduction to the style fr anyone just getting into sour ales. Will seek this one out again to see what some age does to it.

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

2010 rate. I'm not even entering my initial rate from 2007. In fact this particular rating is crap also, it's always from memory. It's a fine, fine beer, suffice to say.

375ml bottles, 2009 batch I believe. Pours mostly clear hay gold with a snowy head. (Raising my rating for this thanks to a couple bottles at our lambic tasting over the weekend. No notes on this, but each bottle was exceedingly better than my virgin bottle). Nice lemon, funk, sour, and dry flavors. Very expressive and balanced. Good stuff, one of the best standard geuzes from what we enjoyed.

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

my first gueuze...

A-cloudy honey colored with a thick off white colored head.

S-smells a bit funky and a bit malty. possibly some lemon or lime in there. smells almost stale but good at the same time. very sweet. the smell has a good strength.

T-wow, the second this beer hits the tongue the tartness is really detected. it hits with a great mouth puckering sourness. the leading taste is very citrusy, mainly lemon and lime. the after-taste is a very unique and appreciated mix lemon and some sort of spice...possibly thyme or sage...it's unique and i love it. I can already tell i'm gonna wish this came in a bigger bottle.

M-soft, medium to heavy carbonation with a tart finish thats only slightly dry

D- Simply put: there need to be more 5% beers that taste like this. the tastes seem to slowly become less and less special as the beer goes on but they still taste wonderful. i think i'll always be able to buy this beer and enjoy it at any time. i really hope i get this beer again, as well as explore more in to the style.

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a hazy golden yellow color with a big white head that diminishes quickly. Very loud bubbling as well. Scent EXTREMELY funky and sour. I definitely get a farmhouse/horse blanket aroma from this particular beer. I also pick up cheese aromas and lemon. Very interesting and delightful smelling beer. Taste is SUPER SOUR! I love it! Initially I get funky yeast flavors followed by lemon and cheese notes. The mouth-puckering sourness doesn't stop the amazing flavors from coming through this beer. Some grassy notes as well. Mouthfeel is very dry and very crisp. Full-bodied and puckering. Drinkability is high for me on this one. I've realized that I'm really becoming a huge fan of lambics, wild ales, and gueuzes. This is an outstanding beer!

4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

375 mL bottle poured into a chalice. Appearance is champagne-like: a cloudy gold color, ultra-fizzy with a solid inch or so of head.

Smell is a funky mix of lemon, rotten barnyard, and bleu cheese.

Taste is extremely sour: pure unsweetened lemon.. very acidic. Finishes with some other funky flavors, but lemon dominates.

Mouthfeel is extremely carbonated and fizzy.

Drinkability is excellent, without really alcohol presence. You just have to enjoy the sourness..

This is probably the most sour beer I've tried. Excellent gueuze.

2.95/5  rDev -31.2%

From bottle into my C&B Bruges snifter.

A - Pours a nice hazy golden orange with a rather small, foamy, sticky white head that recedes really quickly. Rather large bubbles resulted from the pour. Decent retention formed a thick, sticky layer of lace.

S - Funky, earthy and tart barnyard aromas at the initial smell. I'm also picking up some apples and lemon and some orange. A touch of yeast and hay aroma also present.

T - Wow, thats sour! I mean really sour. Im mostly tasting sour green apple and lemon. Some sour barnyard funk present, as well as some hay, giving it a slight woodiness. This is a bit puckering to me.

M - Light body with little carbonation. Fairly drying finish.

D - This is a bit too sour for me. I enjoy sours, but this one is a bit too one-sided. Not very balanced in my opinion. The low ABV makes it drinkable, but i think i will finish this one and not need to buy another for a while.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked up a bottle at TND, poured into a lambic glass. Took a lot of care to keep the yeast nice and settled.

In the glass, it is a hazy dirty straw color, full of effervescence as bubbles stream upward for the entire time it takes me to drink the whole glass. The head is coarse and thin, as a geuze generally is.

The aroma is complex. Woody notes, barnyard funk, sourness, and fruity esters of pears/apples and peaches. The taste is similar, full of great balance. The sour is phenomenal, and it is really made pleasant by the light overripe esters of peaches and pears. The fruits blend with funky barnyard flavors that meld nicely with the balanced lactic and acetic sour notes. The fruits are again evident in the finish.

The finish is bone dry, as it should be. Accompanied by a lively spritzy body, the feel is phenomenal. The sourness is intense and shocks the palate a bit. Extremely easy to drink...refreshing and satisfying. This is a really good beer that I will definitely be revisiting.

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

37.5 cL bottle poured into a snifter

A- A crisp straw color with a small white head

S- Wow. Sour lemons and other tart fruits balanced with some spices and barnyard funk.

T- Sour but not too sour, and funky but not too funky. Very well balanced. Getting sour lemons, granny smith apples, with a funky finish. Very close to the smell.

M- Crisp, dry, smooth.

D- Very easy to drink, I wish it was cheaper so I could buy more. This really stands out as the best Gueuze I have had. What I really love about this beer is the perfect balance between sour and funk in my opinion.

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

appearance: champagne fizzy look, had to pour slow.... pale ale color

smell: smelled liked tart, citrus fruity, and maybe a little midew musty aroma.

taste: huge sour beer. Lots of citrus, lemon flavor

mouthfeel: high carbonation and light bodied

drinkability: a fantastic sour ale. Will drink again...

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

375mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. My local store just got this in, so it is rather fresh.

(A)- Pours a hazy/cloudy golden orange hue that produced a minimal off-white head that dispersed to a low layer of froth on the surface after a bit.

(S)- Dry, but with a lovely earthy funk to it; hay, straw, clay, some yeasty-like cheese. Plenty of barnyard elements up front with some bits of acidic lemon and lime citrus in the far background.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. Some more of the fruits come through with a relatively mild acidic sourness for the style.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. Not overly sour or funky, but a happy medium between the two. Smooth as can be.

(D)- A standard for the style for sure. My bottle is extremely fresh, so I can only see this getting better over time. A smooth example without being a palate melting sour bomb. Ridiculously drinkable.

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance - Pours into a generic tulip with a copper color. About a half finger of small bubbled head is achieved with a moderate pour, that dissipates quickly, leaving slight lacing.

Smell - Heavy barnyard funk, slight skunk smell (dissipates as the beer opens up/warms up), acidic overtone, and some citrus. My mouth is salivating just smelling this.

Taste - An immediate puckering of the mouth. The sourness/tartness hits heavy up front which eventually backs down giving way to tart granny smith apple flavor. The barnyard funk becomes a bit more prevalent at the end and even more so as the beer warms up (bready, wet hay, dust, leather, etc.). [edit] I am beginning to taste a bit more citrus such as lemon as I further pick the flavor apart.

Mouthfeel -Lighter bodied, prickly carbonation, finishes dry.

Drinkability - One and done, but very enjoyable to have with some gouda cheese. Will definitely pick up another one or two to cellar.

2.61/5  rDev -39.2%

A- Looked like gueuze. Head stayed for a few seconds. Looked good.
S- Smelled like it would have been more sour than it was. Weird metallic flavor.
T- Disappointed by how sour it was. Tasted watered down.
M- Felt decent. Few bubbles.
D- I sampled this at the wine shop today and was disappointed. Doesn't compare to Drie Fonteinen, Hannsens, or Cantillon. If I had paid to drink this I would have regretted it.

2.7/5  rDev -37.1%

Last sunday we had a beer tasting session at my house with three other BA's and a bunch of friends. This was the first bottle we opened.

To be quit honest, this was not my cup of thee or should i say gueuze. I am not very fond on gueuze.

Poured in a tasting glass this beer looks likes piss (sorry!)

There is a strange smell that goes with this beer. I can't define it. Pretty sour taste, or better said much too sour. I am cured for a while!

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

A- Totally hazed deep yellow with a short lived white head. A really nice wispy layer is left.

S- Wow this stuff smells interesting. Lots of sour apple, grapefruit, under ripe pear and horse blanket funk. There is also lots of damp basement funk with wet cardboard and elmers glue.

T- This is brutally sour, especially at first. It knocks you're breath out as you're pallet adjusts. Its loaded with under ripe fruits, the white part of an orange rind, grapefruit, pear and lemon. Plenty of funky flavors as it warms. A glue like flavor comes right before pure white grapefruit.

M- Quite puckering. Very dry. I love how the sourness lingers on the lips.

D- Low alcohol but this is a sipper.

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%

A golden hazy pour with a bit of head. Tart and funky smell that has both sour and funk characteristics. Tastes like a nice balance between the two. Definitely sour, but complex and funky. Well carbonated. A smooth sippable beer that I would definitely drink again

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) from Brouwerij Girardin