Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) - Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

Brouwerij Girardin

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 09-28-2002

Unfiltered version.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 998 | Reviews: 528
4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a 12.7 oz bottle into red wine glass.

A - Somewhat hazy orange/brown color. Dull and coppery. Half inch or less of white head forms, falling quickly to a thick collar. Collar persists throughout with moderate lacing.

S - Most noticable is an aroma of lemon juice and sour apples, with a slant towards the lemon juice. "Funk" and earth are present as well, but not as promenient as some gueuzes I've had. Leather and hay spring to mind also.

T - Sour apple (or at least the best way I can describe it) appears first but moves on quickly to a powerful acidic sourness; this really is like drinking lemon juice. Not even fresh squeezed stuff, but the from concentrate stuff. Chemical-like with an almost medicinal overtone. Somewhere during the peak of the sourness mid to late palate, the "funk" appears, albeit faintly in comparison to the "uber lemon juice" experience. The standard leather/hay/manure flavors come into play, with the emphasis on fresh earth. As the sourness tapers off slightly near the finish, a sharp bitterness takes its place. The combination is scathing. Hints of wood linger in the aftertaste.

M - Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. At first, the carbonation seemed to intensify the sourness, but as the beer has warmed it seems a bit too flat. Minor complaints, as the mouthfeel seemed to suit what was going on in the flavor department.

D - Well, for a gueuze I suppose this is more drinkable than the few others I've sampled. I think I'll actually finish this bottle, but I still don't think I'd consider this a "pleasant" experience. Gueuzes aren't my thing, but I do like to try one ever so often. Maybe the style is *slightly* growing on me, or maybe 1882 is a milder, more drinkable brew in an already challenging style.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Pours a dark, clear gold with a perpetually refreshed white head that lasts throughout

S - The funk is there, but deceptively so...almost as an aftersmell. Green apples, very clean alcohol (not expected at 5%) and dare I say urine!

T - Great! Sour green apples, lemon zest, and a bit of an acidic twist. Rather dry.

M - Thin and light, very well carbonated.

D - this is the best 10 gueze I think I've ever had. Being relatively easily available, I look forward to returning to it regularly

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Inflatablechair brought over this gem a while back... reviewed from paper notes... Thanks Sam!!

Big white head drops fast... hazy pale golden brew...

Very funky... more than my nose is used to. barnyard... funked hay ... so that is what "horse blanket" means. Beyond all the funk a tart sorta lemony sour aroma.

way more sour than the nose... sucks the saliva from my head .. tannic woodiness and balanced funk.. lemon ... green apple skin...

lite body and big carbonation...

Thanks Sam.... Glad I found this notebook.

4/4/4.5/4.5/4.5

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Heavy green 375 mL bottle poured into an oversized tulip. After a slight twist of the cork, the beer practically opens itself. I like the picture on the label warning pregnant women not to drink.

A- Pours a hazy pale-gold to gold with a white, large-bubbled head. The head recedes quickly and the remaining bubbles arrange themselves around the outside of the glass, giving a coral-like collar. When consumed, those bubbles toss splatters of lacing on the walls of the glass. No signs of carbonation, but who knows with all that haze.

S- The tulip permeates the immediate area with the smell of a funky farmhouse. Getting closer to the beer reveals much more lactic acidity. As the beer warms, hay and wood become more prevalent. A sour patch-kid's cologne.

T- There is more than just a beginning, middle, and end to this story. Before you have time to react, the glands in your mouth swell and wriggle. After a second, the carbonation gives off an oak-like perfume followed by a crisp and clean hay or farmhouse funkiness. A small amount of sweetness is left behind. As the beer warms, my mouth's reactions rearrange themselves in various orders. A complex gueuze that doesn't over-do it on the acidity (not that you can really over do it, in my opinion).

M- Dry and light with a refreshing, spritzy carbonation.

D- Highly drinkable gueuze. Most are this low in alcohol, but some have such high acidity that they can't be handled in large quantities. I wouldn't mind trying a large quantity of this.

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

This one has a nice pour, a clear copper color with a two finger head that dissolves down to a fine film that leaves a touch of lacing. Surprisingly clear for an unfiltered brew. Nose is drying funky sourness up front, then some champagne, lots of fruitiness (apricots?). Cracker-y breadiness (if that makes sense) shows up just a bit. Huge flavor to this one. Flavor is likewise - obviously stronger on the funky sourness, and a little milder on the fruits. A touch of cheese and white wine. Tasty brew, if you're feeling like a sour one. Body is busy with strong carbonation that highlights the tartness well. Overall, a very nice brew, although I'm not sure if I could drink more than one.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Pours with a small, white head that settles quickly and leaves little lace. The body is gold colored, with good clarity.

S - Subtle funk with wheat and strong, lactic sourness. The wild character is slightly peppery and has floral, perfume-like notes.

T - A sweet, bready malt note up front that is quickly washed away by mouth-coating, lactic sourness. Musty funk with pineapple and peach notes in the middle. Finishes with some peppery notes as well as musty wild yeast and refreshing sourness.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Very drinkable with a good level of acidity and nice complexity. I particularly enjoy the peach character of the flavor, it is a somewhat unusual flavor to find in a lambic and quite pleasant.

3.85/5  rDev -10.3%

Started with a fantome saison, now savoring this one. I think following the fantome with this was a nice progression.

Note: it looks like the beer was stored upside-down for some period of time as there is sediment on the cork and there is sediment around the neck of the bottle. I'm not sure that's making it drink much different, however.

Appearance is lightly cloudy, certainly not as dense as other unfiltered beers. Ambery orange in color. A one-finger frothy head upon pouring right onto the bottom of the glass. It slowly dissipates. The many tiny bubbles line the glass almost as much as they line the surface of the beer. After quite a while they rejoin the beer but that seems appropriate.

Smell is juicy funk with a noticeable dust-burning-on-a-lightbulb "quality."

Taste is dirty funk [notes of the burnt dust here as well], definite grapefruit rind [versus citrus juice], super rindy at that, cranberries too. The funk has a certain tree-bark taste that is detracting for me.

Mouthfeel is great. Tiny bubbles, moderate to above-average carbonation, slightly puckering, but really only on the first or first two sips.

Drinkability is not bad for sure, but one is definitely plenty for a sitting in my opinion. I'd much prefer drinking a lambic that isn't one of the best I've had over drinking just an okay beer of most other styles. So I can't [/shouldn't] complain too much...

2.39/5  rDev -44.3%

Upon buying this, I didn't know that this was a sour beer. As for sour beers...I still don't like them. Pours a very clear gold with relatively no haze. All the sediment settled in the bottom. Very tart, sort of dry, with a hint of cheese. On the palate, dry, tart and a little bit of currant. I wish that I had some food that you eat with wines to go along with this. This was not a good brewday beer. Not a good beer for me, but for people that enjoy lambic sours.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

This is an excellent, complex gueuze with a nicely assertive funky lambic wild yeast character. I pretty much think of this as a paradigmatic example of the style.

Hazy dark gold, it has a huge off-white head steadily shrinking to rich foamy ring, some foamy wisps and some nice, foamy lace.

Aroma is strong funky yeast "lambic" character, wet hay, hint of cheese, sweet, musty white wine (Riesling), faint fermented light fruit.

Taste is tart, citric, with dry apricot, light tangy funky yeast character, light fruity sweetness and faint sweet white wine underneath, and a bit more hard to pin down. It has aftertaste of funky yeasty dough and dry apricot.

2.43/5  rDev -43.4%

Green cork and caged 37.5 cl bottle, poured very carefully into my huge 'Judas' stemmed tulip glass.

Only a very small amount of sediment left the bottle, so the beer wasn't too cloudy or misty, a dirty old gold is the best colour discription I can come up with. An off-white head sat uneasily on top, looking like it wanted to be somewhere else. Masses of bubbles travelled upwards to join the unhappy foaming head.

Rotten cooking apples and pickling vinegar with a sour-puss smell. A cows farmyard that hasn't been hosed down for three weeks, even though the cows have used it twice daily to deliver calves.

Vingarous to a fault, this is one sour beer. Uncooked cooking apples mixed with cow dung came to mind. I've tried to embrace this style and have even enjoyed a couple over the years, but I really struggled with this one. I can truely see why this type of beer isn't drank in Belgium very often and the style is slowly dying.

I had to have olives, various cheeses and crackers to help me finish off this bottle. God knows what my arse will smell like tomorrow, my intestines were complaining after the second sip.

This reminded me of an old rough scrumpy style cider that a farmhand with a few loose marbles might try and drink to help his teeth rot and scramble his brain even more.

I have tried to score for the style, not my personnal view, otherwise it would have got a few minus numbers!

4.56/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle purchased at Whole Foods Coral Gables.

Poured into an Ommegang goblet. Creamy-looking, persistent foam for a gueuze. Body the color of sparkling cider. Excellent presentation.

In the nose, a little sweaty armpit, but more leather and wet hay. Apples and stone fruit round out the fruitier aspect of the aroma.

This shows on the palate as hard cider with moderate to high sourness, though not as sour as some Cantillon lambics. Indeed, the sour presents itself briefly, giving way to a leafy bitterness mid-palate, only to return for a long finish in the form of unripened apples and peaches, and on some swigs, a little sour cheesiness. Very little residual sweetness.

Feel is outstanding, some of the creaminess I noted in the head carries over with nice soft carbonation.

I think this is one of the better examples of gueuze I've had; this is very, very good. The complexity, feel, and quenching nature of this beer add up to outstanding drinkability. And while it is certainly sour, it isn't so sour that it makes my stomach churn.

2.35/5  rDev -45.2%

Either I got a bad bottle of this., or I am really swimming against the tide. I've enjoyed other lambics I've had, but this was terrible (maybe it's just the gueze style I don't like). This poured a champagne color with little head and some carbonation. Unfortunately, both the nose and taste were a rancid mixture of very sour apples and vinegar. Early on, I kept thinking maybe the sour would be followed by a sweet sensation, a la Flemish Sours, but instead, it just kept getting more sour and acidic. Ended up cleaning the drain.

Pours a slightly hazy, slightly reddish gold, with a nice bubbly head. Nose is lemony citrus with a nice balanced funk, and the tartness almost puckers the mouth before even tasting it. Flavor is lemon curd or marmalade with strong acidity creating a sublime tart finish. The heavy carbonation contributes a welcome champagne character. At 5% I could drink this all night. Most certainly not a drink for everyone; but if lambic is your thing, you will truly love this. It is one of my favorite beers.

4.48/5  rDev +4.4%

375 ml, corked and caged, no bottling date. Bottle has some weird sediment stuck to the inside top.

Pours a crystal clear effervescent white grape juice color with a couple fingers of bubble head that slowly die down and leave some light lacing down the glass.

Smells quite tart, lemons, hint of mineral-ness, light barnyard funk behind it, quite restrained.

This is an incredibly drinkable geuze. Initial blast of sourness that quickly makes way for a wider range of flavor notes: light oak, white wine like dryness, lemons, musty attics (if you could taste them...), light funk behind that. It has a bone dry finish, sparkly carb that gurgles like a fountain in your mouth - ridiculously quenching. Drinks like a slightly sour, slightly funk white wine, balanced all around.

Drinkability off the charts for a sour, would gladly visit this one again!

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Ritzkiss and I both coveted this beer and a few others when we last down in Buffalo, so we agreed we'd each buy a few different ones and split. This beauty is the first, so thanks for cracking it open, Eric!

Pours a sparkling gold with a large effervescent white head, that drops to a small cap, but has excellent retention due to an evident carbonation. Some lace is left behind. The aroma is a touch metallic at first, but then cuts through to a white wine dryiness, barnyard funkiness, and lemon tartness.

Home run in the flavour. A touch of blood drops off almost immediately revealing a lightly puckering lemon sourness, mixing in with a super-dry white, and with that horseblanket discretely lurking at the back. The body manages to be quenching and bone dry at the same time.

This is a excellent gueuze, and extremely drinkable for the style. The sourness is prominent, but never so powerful that it hinders the drinkability. I found myself liking it more as time went by, and its with some sadness that I finished my glass. Oh well, kriek de ranke up next...

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

I've been holding on to this one for awhile waiting for the urge to strike. Tonight was apparently the night.

A: A vigorous pour reveals a hazy orange beer with a fluffy white head.

S: The smell is absolutely great. Green apples, acidic and acetic, a lot of funk, and some vinous character.

T: A lot of tartness, as one would expect. The fruit components are sour, green apples and white grapes. Some funk, but not quite as much as I would have expected.

M: The beer has a medium body, lively carbonation and a crisp, dry, finish.

D: I love wild beers, and this one certainly lived up to my expectations. It's unfortunate we have to pay so much for these great beers here in the US, because I would love to drink them more often.

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a nice, surprisingly clear orange color, very nice looking, with a massive head, 2 inches, fluffy, cloudy and white. Really a great looking beer. The smell is sweet-tarts and garbage, apple and grape skins, sour tart, old moldy bread. A little bit of spice, some lemon peel, really nice. Though I doubt if I could distinguish it from some others in smell alone. The taste is much richer and more delicious than just sweet tarts, the sour candy like sweetness comes in first, but there's a big powerful bottom af bready, dry malt. There's a note of flowers, some lemon, spice, pepper, nice and yeasty too. I think the taste of the malt is the most distinctive factor, but I also taste strawberries (old ones), tart apple skins, and the dry sting of carbonation is very pleasant. The body is very light, as you would expect, and quite good. The drinkability is much better than you would expect from a wild ale. It keeps me going back forf mlore because its not all tart, dry, sour taste, low on the vinegary acidic tastes, there's something to be said for a malt presence and a nice fruitiness.

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375ml corked and caged bottle drank out of my duvel tulip.

A- this one pours out a glowing golden orange colored body with a large fizzy off white head. the head fades quickly leaving behind spots of lacing.

S- very tart and acidic. somewhat sweet as well. lots of summer fruits. cherries, apples, pears, and lemon.

T- starts out with sweet light summer fruits. lemon, cherries, apples, and pears. theres a nice semi puckering tart blast at the end. a little bit of "funk" as well. pretty complex. very nice.

M- very highly carbonated and pretty thin. feels harsh on my tongue.

D- easy to finish this bottle and its at a strength that makes it sessionable. however, the acid in this one would rip my stomach apart. a 375 is about perfect for a person.

375 mL in Girardin glass in Brussels. Reviewed 7/10/2009

Ar: Sour cherry, strawberry, leather and light sweatiness, fruity, lightly oxidized, nice acidic fruit, berries

Ap: Lightly hazy straw, medium very smooth white head, good retention, ligh lace

F: very complex, initial tart fruit, very acidic, leather, hay, sour, acetic acid, lightly winey, crisp malt, very dry, nice cutting acidity, smooth without too much sweaty, sour raspberry, lightly lemony

M: acidic, dry, light body, high carbonation, smooth dry cutting acidity, peppery carbonation

O: Unique and complex, refreshing, smooth, very good

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a straw colored golden yellow with a thick bubbly white head. Funky/barnyard/blanket aroma instantly fill the room.

This is one sour beer. Lip puckering lemony sourness. Flavor is of grapes, pepper, and citrus. Bubbly on the tongue with a medium body. Very clean finish.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

My original review of this beer, preserved below for posterity was laughably bad, so I had to re-review this.

I'm having to work this weekend, and since i don't get OT, I'm going to need a beer to get through the pain.

Clear amber with a dense white head with excellent retention and some patchy lacework, this beer is pretty darned gorgeous.
The nose is outstanding, everything I'd want from a gueuze. Sour lemons, wet leather, wet earth, and a prominent woody character, I get some mild oak and some vanilla. The lemon character is most dominant, but behind it there's some great funk with musty attic and some grassy hay. No appreciable vinegar character, there's just a touch of solvent character that (normally unwelcome for me) that adds a pleasing dynamic to the beer. Excellent stuff
I see where Hanssens gets their magic from, this is an excellent gueuze. Opens sour with a lot of lemony character but there's a certain juicy character that I haven't noticed in the Hanssens OG. The fresh citrus juice character is fantastic, and there's a pleasant funk as well, though not as complex as the nose. Green apple, wet hay, dry cider are all present. Tannic character is low, but present and noticeable on the finish. The finish is fantastic, with sour lemons present up front before a long, dry, mildly oaky character with a little vanilla takes over. I was supposed to savor this, but this has lasted all of 15 minutes, a superlative beer!

**Original review dated 3rd May 2008
Split this last night with a couple of friends. Poured into a champagne flute. This is me first gueuze review!

A: Amber with a white head. Steady, long lasting carbonation. 4.5/5

S: Sour - vinegar with a sweet backbone. There's some spice to the backbone too - pepper and a hint of coriander? Smells delicious 4.5/5

T: Very sour wup front with some sweetness coming through in the dry, sour finish. Pepper dances on the tongue 4/5

M: Puckering sour with great carbonation 4/5

D: I'd most definitely drink this again!4.5/5

**Edit 09 March 2012**
Cork labeled REF FX2012, picked up from CCWS last night.

Nose is still clearly Girardin but arguably younger, with a predominantly citric profile, insanely juicy with lemons and grapefruit. Still a touch sweet, though, with an almost cotton candy-like. Mellow funk. Utterly remarkable. Palate is so juicy, so fresh, so vibrant, with such a wonderful lemonade and grapefruit juice character, along with as of yet mild funk. A fantastic gueuze. I can't quite fault it, apart from saying it lacks the complexity of the CX 2010 bottling. 4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5/5

**Edit 17 May 2013**

The CX2010 bottling.Drinking this immediately after a Beatification, and a week after a Doesjel, I'm reminded how special this beer is. It is everything a gueuze should be. Soft, delicate, citrusy and bright, with a delicate funk, earthy, mushroomy, less tannic than a 3Font, cleaner and more balanced in sourness with a better blend of citric and lactic acids, softer with a wheaty, dextrinous fullness that tempers the sourness and lends a sweetness. Soft tannins. Juicy. Yum. 4.5/4.75/4.75

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

37.5cL bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours out a clear peachy gold with with a quickly dissipating head that sticks close and tight on the sides of the glass.

S: Wonderfully tart, lemony, pepper, unripe white grapes, or whatever aromas match up with the tannins and woodiness I'm picking up in here.

T/MF: Tart feel that puckers the tip of the tongue and quickly works its way to the back of the throat, grapey with a strong barrel aged character, peppery, lemony, with touches of apricot. On the back end (near the end of each sip and in the long, gripping aftertaste) the beer takes on a slightly sharp and cheesy character that really melds together wonderfully with the tart fruity and woody flavors in the beginning and middle. Each sip brings something new to the table, volume turned up on a particular flavor here that moves back on the next to allow another flavor to take some of the spotlight.

D: This beer is something special and I'm glad that I had a chance to try this after wanting to try it for so long. The depth, texture and general awesomeness of this beer makes it nearly impossible to put down.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

37.5 cl bottle poured into a snifter.

A = Dark golden amber, good clarity, small but firm off white head.

S = White pepper, claro cigar smoke, horse sweat, nice and funky. Making my mouth water just smelling it.

T = Quite sour like fresh lemon juice, some earthy flavors of fresh turned dirt,

M = Medium-light to light body, frothy, acidic, decent mouthcoating.

D = This is a very good gueuze, not sure I can really call it highly drinkable it has such funkiness, but on the other hand, it has a nice dryness that whets the tastebuds and makes me want more.

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%

Had this out of a bottle, poured into a wine glass (usually would opt for some better glassware, but you take what's available).

Appearance: Yellow and bubbly head, looks a lot like champagne, but a bit thicker, on the pour. Little lacing and little head, nothing too intense or impressive, but nice enough.

Smell: Gueuzy. Thick, heavy funk with some green apple peel, oak, citrus, and a distinctly sour note. Just smells sour and funky, really gets the palate puckering in anticipation.

Taste: Whew, sour is there. Big green apple and lemon-like sourness, with a vinegar draw as well. The oaky, funky, acidic nature really comes after the swallow and breath in, it just opens up to heavy gueuze qualities that are just delicious and refreshing. One of the more interesting notes here was of how dry it became, even after only a few ounces. Between mouth-wateringly sour and mouth-depleting dryness, my mouth was getting its money's worth.

Mouthfeel: Very dry and pretty sour to boot. Carbonation is light, but efficiently. Really complex finish is oaky and vinegar dryness, and the funk lingers on the palate. Just interesting all around, that's for sure.

Drinkability: I guess this is almost a wash. Definitely a mood beer, that's for sure. Oaky, funky, dry, and sour all at once, and can definitely hit the spot on the right night. Would certainly have again in the future, and a perfect example of what a gueuze should be.

4.48/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle from K&L in Redwood City.

A - Pours a slightly hazy brilliant golden color with a large white head and good lacing.

S - Aroma is what you'd want from a great gueuze: citrus/lemon tartness and funk, maybe a touch of sweet malt as well.

T - Flavor is funky tartness and lemon with some sweet pale malt poking through. Maybe even some blue cheese. Extremely well-balanced and good.

M - Palate is sharp and acidic with soft carbonation and medium body.

D - Very drinkable, not at all overly sour. This may be the best gueuze I've ever had.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) from Brouwerij Girardin