Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) - Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

pDev: 10%
Brouwerij Girardin

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Unfiltered version.

(Beer added by: marburg on 09-28-2002)
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Corked & caged, green glass, 37,5CL bottle. Poured to a 25CL 'La Chouffe' tulip glass.

A: Lovely and warm, a glowing apricot orange. Lots of tiny carbonation, rising rapidly throughout. Good head, a tightly-bubbled creamy fingers-worth that never quite fades. Lace clings in wide, lop-sided bands.

S: Mmm...very tart. Nose-tickling lemon and musty pith with a touch of candied sweetness.

T: A tangy sour lemon/tart cherry/green apple mix with oaky wood creeping up in the finish. A yeast roll's bread & buttery-ness sneaks in between pucker-inducing sips. As balanced a gueuze as one could ask for.

M: Plenty of carbonation, creating a subdued tingliness. Nothing heavy about this: it's crisp and it's light bodied. Some lingering yeast prevents this from being entirely clean, but does lend an un-blended 'naturalness' to it.

D: Gueuzes are NOT everyday drinkers for most of us. But if I had to have one every day, this might be it: just tart enough, vaguely sweet and with a good finish of grain. This one I'll highly recommend and plan to have again.

2.5/5  rDev -41.9%

My first and probably last of this style. Cute little bottle with a cork for $9.29 at Lone Hill Liqour.

Looks good enough. Golden orange. Sturdy head. Slow moving bubbles gives it a thick appearance.

Smells like lemon pledge, bleu cheese, and sweat socks. After they've been sweat in. I'm concerned. I do not like this smell at all.

Tastes like a chewable vitamin-c tablet. Strong obnoxious flavor. Acidic sting. This is flat out nasty. Chalky, dry.

I try to give every beer a fair chance by drinking a whole bottle but I am seriously challenged here. At 5% it wouldn't even give me a head change so there is little reason to suffer through this.

I guess it's an aquired taste (that I haven't aquired). I let it warm a bit and slowly sipped on it. The flavor becomes a little better but I can't forgive the smell. I can see how one would be drawn to this extremely tart flavor. I actually am going to finish the bottle, but damn, man, it smells like friggin feet!

Overall: only if it's your thing

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Just came back from Southbay Drugs and picked this one for my 300th review.

Pours an amber color with some red highlights. About an inch of foam forms and trickles down to a ring. A quick little stir livens the beer and brings a decent amount of head back and releases more aromas.

Oh the aroma is mouthwatering! Sour green apples, pear, fruit roll-ups, funk, yeast, oak, honey, flowers...I just can't seem to be able to describe everything that I smell, too many things come to mind. Cheese, apricots, salt water, and some orange. Stinky feet.

Taste is very similar, starts off with sour apples, lemons in the middle and finish. Fruity and tart...there is a nectarine and apricot flavor, a little subtle, but works really well.

Thin on the palate but very refreshing, I could easily drink more than one or two of these.

Really glad I had this one for my #300; I've had this before but had not been able to sit down and review it.

Small corked bottle, poured into a snifter.

Beautiful glowing orange, hazy, with a good white head that lasts forever, with a lot of lacing down the glass.
The aroma just flies out the glass, hitting you as you pour; it is musty, leathery, quite funky as it is to be expected. Guarana seeds, oak and a fruitiness round up the amazing nose.
This is a superb combination of a beer that is light enough to be had in a hot day; low enough alcohol to be a session beer, and enough flavor packed to even be a sipper. Funk all the way, sour, with asweet oakiness somewhere in the middle; bone dry finish. Lots of fruits somewhere in the middle.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

It pours a cloudy, floatie, lemony iced tea gold. A finger of loose wuite head slinks and sinks to almost nothing. With markedly minimal head, the lacing follows suit as expected.

In the aroma, a light, grainy note is soon distant second to a damp earth headiness joined by a poignant acetic sourness. Esters float melon, peach, banana, and an overall distinctly crisp air.

Upon tasting, the grain portrays a brief sweetness before sourness seems to spring from a blend of sources lactic, acetic, and vinous. Esters abound still with melon, banana, and very ripe grapes. Underneath lies an intriguing, earthy baked bitterness with a flutter of dew-laden hay. An edgy, assertive crispness drives a lingering dusty-dry finish. It's a splendid, stylish splash of great flavor.

Between light and medium bodied, it flows coyly and the puckering dryness is a notable memory.

It's like biting into a lemon sliced on top of a horse-blanket, and despite that imagery, it's a grand delivery on an audacious promise. Once my cheeks re-inflated, I realized just how refreshing and spirited this beer really is. If you like the style, it goes down smooth, easy, and happily. So not only do I like the style, I love the way this once represents the best of what it strives to be.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

A - Into a big snifter... this brew pours a beautiful hazy golden orange with ample bubbles. The head dissapates rather quickly into a foamy crown. No lacing.

S - Fantastic. Sour yeast, sour fruits, unripe fruit. The fruit aisle of a super-market... complete with the slightly rotten, overripe affects. Metallic, mineral undertones. Not as funky as I may have been led to believe.

T - Rather tart throughout, but not overly so like some other offerings. Bathes the tongue in sour apple/lemon, all together, but none in particular. Very acidic and dry. Oak BARELY comes through... much different than JP or Rodenbach oakiness.

M - Slightly thicker body, sparkly carbonation but not a ton of it. Expected it to be lighter from the looks but definitely has character to it. For 5% abv, it's no slouch in the mouthfeel department.

D - Tartness the only limiter here. I could put down a few of these and not really notice anything except the mouth-puckering sourness.

Notes: It's exactly what I had anticipated and hoped, and for the price, it's a really solid gueuze. One I'd definitely pick up if I wanted to introduce someone to the style.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to Dim for this one
Bottle poured into my tulip glass produced the required two fingers of white billowy head that lasted a while. The head then trailed of to a nice covering of lace. The body on this was a hazy orange

The aromas from the glass were nice and funky. Sour apples come to mind as I whiff it again the acidity on this is very present in the nose do I dare taste it?

WOW I'm glad I like sours this one is quite intense. I let my teens have a sip and they thought it was some sour head candy drink LOL. It reminds me of a crab apple or a transparent apple pie I am a sucker for a good sour apple pie. Some grapefruit citrus as well in here flavor wise. The mouthfeel is crisp and dry good carbonation very refreshing

Drinkability is a strange question for a sour I finished the bottle, but Do you want to do more than one sour at a sitting? I enjoyed the brew and would gladly drink it again. Truly a great brew and deserves to be tried by every sour fan

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: pale golden color with nice frothy white head. not too much head retention but good lacing. Not much uniformity to the bubbles that stick to the side of the glass while tipping it.

S: Tart apples and lemons coupled with belgian yeast and an underlying funk

T: Much more sour than a lambic but smoother and drier than an oud bruin. Lots of tart citrus flavors with some underlying berry funkiness.

M: Clean finish but leaves your mouth dry and begging for more. Not as carbonated as I expected but a good amount of carbonation.

D: This is my first Gueze and I believe I spoiled myself with a very nice selection. Its exactly what I was expecting. An overly sour lambic style taste sans any fruit. Very nice!

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Good looking orange/gold with a full white head and medium lacing.

Smelled of sour apples and other tart fruits.

Tasted lemony and of sour apples, very crisp and clean. A bit of oak in there too it seems.

Prickly mouthfeel with a medium to light body. Rather smooth.

I'd rate this higher in drinkability if it were cheaper. It's a wonderful beer however, especially for this time year.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle...

Poured a hazy orange color with a nice sized white foamy head. Head hung around for a few minutes.

Smell was intense...vinegar, grass, lemons, oak, yeast and sour apples.

Taste was mouth puckering, i loved it...tasted lemon tartness with some apple and the oak coming through...super dry...

mouthfeel was very nice, good carbonation, very crisp and refreshing...

I could drink these all day...

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle purchased at Utobeer. Corked and caged 5.00% abv, 37.5cl.

Rich, bubbly orange under a thin fizzy offwhite cap that disappears quickly. A bit of haze from the suspended sediment. True to style. Strangely enough agitation of the glass causes an exciting fizz to form.

Aroma is very intense. Ultra acetic sourness. Light, grainy sweetness, very funky. Grass, straw. Belgian yeast. Difficult to describe! Sort of dairyish sourness - cheesy. Wood & leaves. Barnyardy.

Palate is amazing to experience. Medium feel, moderate carbonation, but the real star of the palate are the flavours. Sour astringency is very present, even before the swallow. Mouth-coating, like ultra-sour candy. You can feel it on your teeth. Very dry. Unripe apple (crabapple?). Citrus rind, or concentrated lemon juice. Perfect champagne mouthfeel, even with a few white wine notes (oak?). Finish has some nice bitterness, smoke, vinegar... wow. A bit of sour cherry. Superb balance that keeps this sour guezebomb one of the most refined beers I've ever had.

Very refreshing. Truly the champagne of beer. A new favourite. How I wish I could get this back in Canada.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a golden amber with a head that starts out thick but quickly fades to just a thin layer that lasts for a few minutes. Oaky with grapefruit and funky aromas. The flavors are all perfectly balanced which I think makes this gueuze more complex than any others I've had.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

cork seems to have a marking "< 02 08" ...or is that "K 02 08"?

i certainly appreciate this much more now, after having tasted many more sour and funky beers. notes are about the same. can pick out some hay-like tones now, esp. in the nose. feel also ends with smooth finish after the initial acidic texture, and i don't perceive it as watery anymore.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
OLD REVIEW 2-7-08

golden straw, honey-like color. slight haze from yeast. decent head fades to a few wisps and a ring around the glass. leaves a nice lacing.

a slight yeasty funk pops out even during the pour. crabapple, with champagne notes. some faint woodiness.

be prepared for some tartness. some apple and champagne again, but with a lean towards cider vinegar with the acidity. touch of bitterness follwed by earthy and woody notes and hint of malt.

feel is acidic, almost astringent, a bit watery. carbonation is pretty gentle, but keeps it lively.

interesting and good start for delving into gueuze, i think

A: 4
S: 4
T: 4
M: 3.5
D: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Nice golden-orange color, looks similar to the other gueuzes I've had. It smells citrusy and maybe some slight musty aromas. Tastes like pears and apples, and more citrus with a big sourness that is great. This is a very good beer but it lacks the funk I found in the cuvee rene which probably makes it a lot more approachable for those who are new to gueuze.

Update 11/2012 2011 batch ref x2012 on the cork

fantastic gueuze, smells great, mildy sour, fantastic flavors, world class.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

375 ml bottle, corked and caged. Opened very carefully, and poured slowly into a tulip. Small white head over an apple-juice colored body. Lots of sediment. Lots of lacing.

Smell is rich warm sour fruit (the dominant fruit is not-quite-ripe plums), a little cracker malt, and lots and lots and lots of funk. Sour funk. Sweaty funk. Horse-blanket and wet leather. Mmmm.

Taste is acidic and horsey, fruity and pungent all at once. Sour plum is definitely there, Granny Smith apple is a back note. Reminiscent of a good champagne. Long dry-sour finish.

Mouthfeel is rich and round, full and soft with ample carbonation.

Good drinkability, although this is too sour for me to want more than one. This would be great with a rich cheesy dish -- I'm thinking French onion soup with lots of goopy melted cheese on top!

Notably tarter than 3 Fonteinen or Oud Beersel, Girardin has a sharp acidity that inspires the appetite. After an exuberant uncorking the beer pours out virtually uncarbonated in hazed honey gold. A sharp and irascible ale that's not overly sour but has a honed acidic punch. Quite enjoyable.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of tart fruit, Belgian yeast and light malts

T: The taste is very sour with flavors of tart citrus and berries up front. There are flavors of Belgian yeast and a thin malt character in the background. The after-taste is likewise sour.

M: Very crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Flavorful, goes down easily, not filling at all, mild kick, good representation of style, it's a taste that takes some getting used to but you tell it's very well-made.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

A - Bottled 06/06. Uncorked with a powerful pop and rising foam in bottleneck necessitated a quick initial pour. Clear amber body with a couple of inches of frothy head. This drops to a thin covering, but is easily refreshed to a fingers-worth of height. A small amount of slowly rising carbonation is present. Very pleasing.

S - Solvent, funky sour citrus, farmyard, cherry, leather/tobacco in the background.

T - Sourness of the lemons bite in instantly, before the cherries move forward and bring some (not much compared to the sourness) sweetness to the middle. Citrus reappears towards the end before sour funk and a little leafyness. Dry finish/aftertaste with woody sourness lingering for a long time. Wonderful.

M - Medium, very smooth body, yet retains a refreshing edge due to the cleaning, medium carbonation as well as the tart flavour. Exceptionally well crafted.

D - Every base covered here. Looks/smells/tastes great and very easy to sip. The real deal.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a: This was a mostly clear apple juice colored dark yellow. As I rolled the glass from side to side the one inch white fluffy head stayed perfectly intact. Nothing stuck to the side of the glass and the shape of it never changed. Strange.

s: Pungent aromas of apple cider vinegar (more apple cider than vinegar) leap out of the bottle as soon a I unleash the cork. Adjectives such as acidic, peppery, funky, floral, and musty come to mind. Frankly I lack the vocabulary to describe a gueuze. Off-putting and enticing at the same time.

t: My gueuze experience is quite limited, (this is my third) but this is the best one yet. I think I taste a bit of wheat here; yep definitely, semi-rotten, wet wheat. Dry, floral, apple cider flavors, very sharp. This is acidic, but only mildly vinegary. Granny Smith apple concentrate maybe? This lacks the sour sugariness of the other gueuzes I've tried.

m: This is quite viscous with a medium level of aggression from the carbonation. The dry finish lingers for quite a long time, as does the heartburn.

d: Gueuzes are expensive, but I'll certainly revisit this one. This will probably be the one I buy several of for aging purposes. I'm loving my foray into the world of sour beers so far.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I purchased this beer on my honeymoon in Belgium 13 months ago. I have been craving a sour beer for a while now, and finally decided to open this one. I am having an aged sharp cheddar along with the brew.

This beer explodes with champagne like carbonation. A massive head that is popping with the effervescence of bursting bubbles. After a minute, the four inch head settles down completely. Sitting atop a medium gold body.

A nice amount of funk and sour notes waft from the duvel tulip. A medium amount of tartness is evident; not nearly as funky as Cantillon products.

Wow. Immensely sour and hugely puckering taste. I was not expecting this much funk after the aroma. It has a good bit of acidity. More lemony and sour than barnyard funk.

This beer had more carbonation than any other geuze or lambic I have had. I liked the change.

Drinkable? I certainly want more, but the flavor of this beer is intense. I love it, but 375 ml is enough in one sitting.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Drank from a 37,5 CL/12.7 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA

Poured a crystal clear, deep golden yellow with streaming threads of carbonation. The bright white, two-finger head of frothy mousse faded to a lasting ring.

The aroma was super musty and ultra funky. Very barnyardy. A touch of malty sweetness came through as well.

The taste was similar to the aroma, yet not as intense initially. Sour, tart and acidic. Somewhat cider-like. Crisp and appetite whetting. As the beer warmed, the flavor intensified significantly. A tart smack of wheat appeared in the center, along with a touch of hay. The sourness crescendoed in the ultra dry, tannic and oaky finish, and carried far into the long-lasting, semi-fruity (sour apple) aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was light and crisp with an intense effervescence similar to that of champagne. As the beer settled on my palate, the liquid turned creamy and smooth.

Drinkability was quite good for such an intensely sour beer. It was well balanced, light and quite refreshing. I simply cannot think of a beer that would make for a better aperitif. This is truly a world-class gueuze.

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

I popped the cork and it took off like a rocket. I was ready for it, but still nothing I could do. I sucked some of the spillage up off the counter, and it stung the hell out of my chapped lips. OUCH!
When I finally managed to get it in the glass, it produces mostly a huge white head. It eventually turned in to a yellow-orange beer with a lot of bubbles. I suppose the aroma is pretty much the same for all gueuze. Cob webs, dusty, oak barrel, 'horse blanket'. Not really sure what else to say about it. Over the top tart. Very much like orange juice concentrate. Not a bad flavor, be very aggressive. Medium body. Highly effervescent. Dry, but not as dry as expected. I wish I would have shared this with somebody. I like it, but its a bit much for me.

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Pours a hazy cedar brown and hazy a creamy light tan head with nice lacing.

The nose has oaky vanilla, manure, musky funk and some tart citrus. Quite lovely, just a bit light.

Absolutely delicious. A sour yet complex funk with a salad of tart tropical fruits. Some nice earthy oak and sweet bready malts balance together perfectly.

The body is full yet crisp and delicate. An outstanding beer that I strive to be able to replicate some day.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance: It's a hazy, soft golden color that features a nice orange tint. Very nice looking. I was expecting a little more haze and perhaps some sediment since it's unfiltered. But, it's solid nonetheless. Head is foamy white and about a finger and a half deep. Retention is top notch. I'm not sure the head would leave if I paid it. A light coat of lace remains.

Smell: It doesn't have a really strong scent, but it's a nice smell. There's some initial fruity aromas, but it's not citrus. It's more of a sweet apple and pear blend. It's smells a little sour and acidic. Perhaps vinegar-esque. There's an interesting oaked or wood chip aroma that's very subtle, but effective.

Taste: Whoa! This is a very pleasant and (a little) surprising. It is indeed fruity and sweet. Apple and pear flavors are very apparent and flavorful. It has a strong sour flavor, but it's extremely well done. It is a bit vinegary and acidic. But, it's not overwhelming or offensive by any means. It's very complex and flavorful. It has a nice caramel base. Again, it tastes oaked, but it's a nice complement to the other flavors. Slightly yeasty, but it doesn't linger into the aftertaste. Finishes bitter and sour.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This has a much thicker feel than I anticipated. It's extremely smooth and just a little chewy. Carbonation is very vibrant and damn near perfect. Drinkability is above average. But, it's far from a session beer. It has an excellent flavor, but it's just a little too sour for me to drink more than one. I think I'm enjoying this one most in small doses.

This is my first Gueuze and it's been an experience. This is a very good beer. I'll admit that this is not ever going to be one of my favorite styles. It's just a little sour for my taste. But, this is definitely a beer to check out.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Hazy amber with a dense white head. Great head retention and plenty of visible carbonation.

Smell: Nice footy funk, stinky cheese and barnyard. Not overly funky; it's just right. Citrus undertones and a hint of white vinegar.

Taste & mouthfeel: Pleasant sourness and acidity, nothing too extreme here; it's very well balanced and refreshing. Flavors of green apple and musty oak blend with lemon rind bitterness and a touch of oak. Wild honey-like sweetness appears for a brief moment in the middle before being swept away by dry, puckering sourness in the finish.

Notes: Really enjoyed this, one of my favorite gueuzes to date.

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) from Brouwerij Girardin