Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) - Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

pDev: 10%
Brouwerij Girardin

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Unfiltered version.

(Beer added by: marburg on 09-28-2002)
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

To me, this is the ultimate lambic in the world. Twelve ounces of pure enjoyment for the senses that leaves you wanting more.

Beautiful hazy gold appearence with a small, tight head.

Aromas of granny smith apples, lemon, musty barnyard, leather, earth and vinegar.

Taste is an amalgam of tart apples, cider vinegar, juicy nectarines and other just underripe stone fruits with a lemon pithiness that slakes any thirst.

Mouthfeel ranges from an initial pucker to a satisfying quench to the inevitible salavation for the next luxurious sip.

Drinkability is through the roof, off the charts, etc. etc.

Black Label pairs so wonderfully with such a wide array of foods, from mussels to crab cakes to rich, unctuous soft cheeses to nuanced fresh grilled vegetables, to richly sauced cuts of meat. This is the beer that I would want on my table at all times - as an aperitif or a digestif it has no equal. Despite being so damn approachable, Black Label manages to pull off the near impossible feat of being refined and elegant at the same time. It is a drink for both the peasants and the aristocracy alike.

One of the top ten beers in the world as far as I'm concerned.

08-27-2007 21:00:07 | More by Rochefort10nh
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Opens with a huge champagne like pop. Unknown vintage. Purchased 8 months ago at Discount Liquors in Milwaukee for $7.99. Likely an old bottle.

Pours a light gold with lots of tiny bubbles but no head or lacing. Champagne like in that there really is a ridiculous amount of carbonation yet no head (aside from a two second blast of white while pouring).

Wonderful aroma. Very funky. Lots of barnyard aroma. Citrus, must, cider, and particularly lemon rind.

Sourness is subdued in the feel, at least by geuze standards and the flavor is a more balanced and refined funk than I’m used to. Plenty of citrus, mostly lemon and a lot of wet straw and must. Highly acidic and absolutely assertive carbonation. Very dry. Exceptionally balanced. Highly drinkable.

08-19-2007 22:04:37 | More by DaPeculierDane
jmalex

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

My first gueuze. I've had a few Cantillon fruit lambics and some American stuff fermented with brett, but I'm excited to taste the real thing. Cork stamped with '1106'.

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Unibroue tulip a crystal clear golden amber. A one finger white head forms atop and has very good staying power. It eventually drops to a dense splotchiness of white foam.

SMELL: Smell is extremely pungent and quite a bit tart. A wet straw barnyard aroma is quite prominent. Vague fruity aromas associated with the tartness seem to be present, but are not that identifiable. Very strong, in-your-face smells.

TASTE: Begins very smooth and presents an incredible funky taste right off the bat. As it crosses the palate, it becomes a tad bit harsh and has a very strong tartness that borders on being bitter. But just as I'm wondering where this harshness is coming from, the beer smooths itself out, and then some. It finishes with a strong barnyard character and hints of sweet and sour citrus notes. Call me impressed.

MOUTHFEEL: A very smooth drinker with a fine, effervescent, champagne-like carbonation.

DRINKABILITY: Not too much gets in the way here. A low ABV and an easy drinking body make this bottle seem way too small. The slight sour and/or bitter harshness is the only detractor for drinkability, but it could very well just be to style.

Wonderful. I wish the price tag wasn't so steep or this would be a surefire repeat buy for me. As it is, I know I'll still stop and think about it every time I pass it on the shelf.

08-09-2007 02:07:21 | More by jmalex
OutlawJoseyWales

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

poured into my dogfish head snifter, a cloudy yellowish color with a finger white head.

smell was of lemony grassy, sour fruit, hay, barnyard aromas.

taste was vinegary and citrusy-sour. some crab apple sourness and a dry acidic finish. i was smacking my tongue on the roof to get all the sourness left on my tongue out. if you take a sip and just let the beer sit on your tongue, it will shudder and shiver because of the tart sourness. i love it.

very refreshing beer, and good drinkability. if your looking for a sour beer with lemony-citrus flavor and some good ole funkiness, this is what you need.

08-07-2007 05:28:14 | More by OutlawJoseyWales
KingG

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Finally got this at my store.

Served cellar temp into my Tripel Karmeliet glass.

Appearance is very good. Hazy peach colored beer with a nice fluffy head that forms. Enticing for sure.

Smell is very good. Lemonhead candy, funky yeast, sour green apple and horse blanket. Fantastic.

Taste is exceptional. One of the most citrusy Gueuzes I've ever had. The flavor isn't as dry as other gueuzes i've had but the smoothness is exceptional on the palet. Finishes acidic, slightly dry, very crisp and off the charts refreshing. Amazing.

Mouthfeel is very good. Carbonation level is below-average which is where i like my gueuzes to typically be. Dry mouthfeel that eventually leaves the mouth watering, wanting more.

Drinkability is exceptional. I can seriously drink this stuff all day. Can i get a keg of this stuff, please?

Overall:
A world-class Gueuze that's a new favorite. Highly recommended.

08-04-2007 06:12:44 | More by KingG
Atron67

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +3%

poured from a 375 ml bottle into a snifter

A- foggy golden yellow with thick white head that lasted forever

S- sour, idk, never smelled anything like this, kinda burns the nose a little

T- nice strong sourness, however it isnt overwhelming, it provides the bulk of the flavor, very smooth and enjoyable, pretty dry flavor

M- sharp carbonation pretty light body

D- pretty good, have to like sour beers as its still

07-28-2007 01:27:40 | More by Atron67
jakon

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

12.7oz bottle purchased for $7.99 on 7-20-7 at Belmont Station.

The Cork appears to be stamped "1106" but it's kinda smeared so I'm not positive on that. So I'm guessing November of '06? Sounds about right.

Pours a glowing gold with a pretty nice sized head. Solid carbonation with this one. The aroma is funky, as expected. Very similar to Cantillon, but maybe a bit mellower. The taste is awesome. Not as sour as the 3 Fonteinen or Cantillon's I've tried, but there seems to be a bit more depth here. Nice batch. Excellent carbonation and overall mouthfeel. I could drink this all day. Highly recommended.

07-25-2007 05:16:50 | More by jakon
drseamus

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

This had a cloudy amber orangish body with TONS of head. The aroma was very tart and had the classic gueuze smell. The flavor was even more sour than the aroma and made the glands in my neck tingle. Probably one of the best gueuzes in terms of the sourness. It reminded me slightly of La Terroir in sourness level. Light bodied with very good drinkability.

07-12-2007 15:55:10 | More by drseamus
tpd975

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Wow this baby is good. I have nearly wiped the shelves clean at the beer store, both for consumption and for trade.

A: This baby is a cloudy peachish orange in color with a steay flow of bubbles almost like Champagne.

S: Lemon with a funk

T: Pucker up baby this one has kick. The most wonderful sourness of the best citrus your mind could imagine. Finishes dry, I will stop here because I can not describe this brew.

M: Perfectly carbonated yet dry, like a $100 bottle of Champagne.

D: Off the charts here, bartender give me another. This baby goes down so smooth I am yearning for more. I feel like royalty as I drink this baby. I'm not worthy.

Overall: Love it, Love, it, Love it. Did I mention that I am in love. This could be a session brew for me. In these hot summer months of Florida I have fallen for the Gueuze. I have found others, but none surpass the black label. Still searching out better, but for now I have my hands on the holy grail.

06-16-2007 18:57:12 | More by tpd975
peabody

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours out a cloudy orange/yellow straw with black sediment in the bottom of the snifter.
Smell is school glue in the spring. Very fruity and overwhelming aroma-wise.
Oh wow, the taste is here man! Jeeze. Sour grape/apple with a metallic aftertaste. A sweet mellow sugary flavor is in the middle of all this sour. Can't pick it out but it is very nice indeed.
Mouthfeel is very clean and refreshing. The sour flavor leaves as quickly as it appears and makes you have to have another drink.
If I could find this easily, I would session this one. Good stuff.

06-13-2007 02:26:45 | More by peabody
roblowther

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Thanks to goochpunch for the warning about opening this baby. I didn't have an explosion but the bottle would have foamed over the neck had I not had a glass handy. Very effervescent, big frothy head and a golden, cloudy color that seems to be lit from within. The fruit in the nose is pronounced, with that trademark gueuze sourness foremost. The taste puckers your mouth. Sharp & acidic up front, a hint of fruit that darts past the tastebuds faster than you can identify it, then a sour that hits hard and stays late. Wow. Gueuze squared. I really like it but the sourness is so overpowering its hard to get past. The mouthfeel is sour. No wait, that's taste. Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated with a softness to it that is really nice. The drinkability? Sorry, the sourness just puts the brakes on more than one of these. I love gueze, and this is a great one. I just have to leave it at one. Hurts so good.

06-04-2007 23:42:29 | More by roblowther
goochpunch

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Cork says 2006.

Half of my little corked and caged bottle exploded all over my kitchen. Fantastic.

Pours out looking like hazy, unpasteurized apple cider you get in the jugs. Head remains a thin sheet over the body. This is definitely one of the funkier geuzes I've had in terms of aromas. The citric acidity is most prevalent, while Spanish moss, straw, and faint sharp cheese serve as more underlying themes. The acidity comes up front in the flavor as well, shooting up to the nostrils and reminding me of sour Pop Rocks. I'm pretty surprised by the amount of mellow vanilla from the wood despite the funk. Finishes rather astringent, with a tangerine flavor that lingers on. I would prefer this to be a little more active on the tongue. The body is just fine: not too light bodied. This one strikes me as very traditional, and I love it.

05-25-2007 04:34:16 | More by goochpunch
DarkerTheBetter

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer pours a peach color with some dark brown highlights. It’s just a touch murky with a smattering of white film for a head.

Smells big and funky, but not overpowering with a touch of rose and cantaloupe.

The flavor starts with a big sour and funky bite but fades to a dry woody sourness, lemon rind and under-ripe strawberries. Finishes with a pleasant ambiguous fruiter sourness that sits on my tongue feeling quite dry.

Feels light but a little dense with a tolerably dry finish.

Very nice. The smell is what does it for me the most. Extremely sipable for the style.

05-15-2007 00:45:44 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Westsidethreat

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Semi vibrant tangerine copper with some haze and sediment to it. Various streams of bubbles pick odd spots in the glass to spawn from. Head is minimal but present, a whipped butter color.

S: Acetic acid, lemon juice, oak and grapefruit.

T: Begins absolutely mouth puckery tart. First sip of this beer is a real experience…not sure I’ve ever had anything this sour in my life. Very dry with only an elusive green apple sweetness to it. Its almost salty. There is a low lying bitterness which seems to work incredibly well with the carbonation in some way or another, almost like they are intertwined. Finishes mineralistic, with ever present vitamin C and bit of peach yogurt.

M: Medium body with a hard water mouthfeel and pickly carbonation.

D: Probably one of the most balanced gueze’s on the market. Incredibly sour but the other flavors are so harmonious that it doesn’t hinder the drinkability.

05-13-2007 20:17:25 | More by Westsidethreat
BillyB

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a hazy peach color with lots of bubbling and a full two fingered white head with good retention but not much lace.

Very complex and unique aromas. Grassy, barnyard, hay, sour raspberries and horseblanket notes.

Tastes of sour berries, with some sugary, fruity sweetness. Tart, lemony zest. Some woody, oak and hay, earthy funkiness going on here as well. A very "busy" taste profile.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with effervescent (almost explosive) carbonation.

Overall a tart, fruity, refreshing, yet complex beer. Excellent during the hot summer months.

05-10-2007 23:37:44 | More by BillyB
JayTheFinn

A - Golden body with some oranginess to it. Nice full off-white head at first that settles down to a consistent foam covering. Good lacing.
S - Vague vinegar, an apparition of apple, hint of mint and just a little gin.
T - Sour, yes, but not overwhelmingly so. It's a concentrated sourness that feels like it's sticking mainly to the middle of the mouth before sliding down the throat. The vinegar flavor and slight sweetness brings to mind a combination of a white wine mix with an apple cider. Later the sweet & sour mix covers the entire tongue.
M - It hits just about every part of the mouth in the end. Tart, but not tongue-curlingly tart. Fuzzy carbonation tingles the nose a bit.
D - The style makes for an acquired taste. It's not really for me, but I can sip this one as well as any of the other top-notch tongue twisting styles.

04-15-2007 01:42:18 | More by JayTheFinn
tatterdash

Ontario (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange, with a huge fuzzy white head that retains and laces very well, off to a good start. Aroma was a musty green apple and almost foresty earthiness. Taste was sour lime, grapes, more green apple, sour but more balance and favour variety than any other Gueuze I have tried. Juicy yet dry and astrigent, makes one's mouth water. This a wonderfully drinkable Gueuze, and a great finish to a night of drinking.

04-06-2007 19:09:20 | More by tatterdash
Boppar

New Hampshire

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

Well after a solid third of this bottle ended up on my friend's rug, we got down to business.

It poured a gorgeous orange honey color into a champagne flute, with surprisingly little head after the geyser we'd seen while opening.

Smells of vinegar, apple cider, apples, and horses.

Tastes of vinegar and horses (but in a good way). I was thrilled when about halfway through the glass, I finally started to pick up on some of the apples I'd detected in the bouquet. Even after finding the apples, they were not quite as pronounced as I would've liked. But the primary thing going on on this beer is the sourness, which just dominates the palate and beats it into submission.

The mouthfeel is very thin and quite still. More carbonation, or a little thickness would've gone a long way.

In terms of drinkability, let's just say that I'm sort of glad some of it ended up on the rug.

A solid gueuze, but one to be enjoyed one flute at a time.

03-31-2007 01:59:41 | More by Boppar
kajerm

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Green bottle (can lambics get lightstruck?), very dignified-looking label.

Holy shit, my beer is exploding. Do not open this beer around pets or small children. Half the bottle is distributed between the rug and my friend's sleeve.

Pours super-cloudy golden peach with a few little chunks of sediment. Thin head of fine bubbles that fades over time.

The nose is acetic acid, apple cider, and just a bit of barnyardy Brett; simple farmhouse style, but all in excellent balance. Very nice.

The taste is less cidery, but also less Bretty. The sourness is strong but not overwhelming. The cider note gets stronger on the finish. Tastes good, smells better.

Mouthfeel is largely determined by the sourness. It's about as thin as it should be, but I'd like the carbonation to be a bit stronger, especially considering the beer was bubbly enough to drench my rug.

Drinkable for what it is, but not drinkable.

03-31-2007 01:39:34 | More by kajerm
jettjon

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

From a caged-cork 37.5 cl bottle into a wine goblet, a careful pour still puts a few flakes of yeast into the glass, in no way detrimental but a reminder to store and decant this one carefully. Attractive dusky honey color with heavy Champaign-like carbonation. One-finger rock solid head of fine ivory bubbles and scattered lacing. Damn good looking beer. Nose of sour raspberry and scuppernong hints at the character of this beer. Taste is quite sour for sure, kind of a wild grapes flavor with no discernable hops presence. There’s a bit of syrupy sweetness to balance things a bit, but sour is the name of the game. Definitely good flavor intensity, like it or no. On a positive note, a religiously Corona drinker said that it tasted very good, and so I steered him toward a couple of local stores where he could pick one up along with some lambics. Mouth is heavily carbonated and smooth. Drinkability may be good in style, but I can’t imagine drinking more than one small bottle of the stuff. 5% ABV makes this one sessionable in theory, but with this level of flavor intensity, forget it. It’s also fairly pricey at 7.99 for a small bottle. 2 of these equals one 750ml bottle, so yeah, it’s a lot of buck for the bang.

Overall: This one’s a good example of style vs. personal taste. If I were judging purely on style, this beer would rate a whole lot higher. But then if I were judging on personal taste, it would rate much lower. I’m just not a fan of sour Flemish ales/guezes/lambics. That said, I’ve still tried them, and this is one of the best. Hopefully that will provide some guidance to my fellow beer advocates.

03-29-2007 01:02:39 | More by jettjon
Phatz

4.6/5  rDev +7%

Thanks a million to yinzer for hooking me up with this beer. I had the opportunity to share it with phnphilly, Slatetank, Risser09, and gottajiboo2.

This beer may have actually been the majority favorite from the evening

Appearance: Poured a brilliant orange color. Luminescent, almost shiny with a bit of haze through the gold. Fluffy white head.

Smell: Lemon grass, wood, barnyard-ish Brett funk, vinegar and yeast with a touch of sweetness.

Taste: Spectacular. I have said before how challenging these flavors are to describe. This beer was intensely sour and yet not off the wall funky. It had some barnyard attributes but the flavor seemed to flow smooth and easy across the yeasty, sour, citric musty woody flavors of a Gueuze. Divine.

Mouthfeel: Tight carbonation, medium body and very dry.

Drinkability: This is one I might need to seek out a case of. Stow away in the cellar and break one out when I need that sour itch filled. Very nice. Very drinkable.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

03-24-2007 03:40:55 | More by Phatz
CharlesDarwin

Rhode Island

Ah, heavenly gueuze, return sweetly to my lips. A shallow pour, elicits furtive and bright carbonation, gassing the most piquant and lively tones of musky grape skins, cob-webbed attic planks, long grassy warm days and a sweeping sharp bite of acidic splendor. Faint washed-rind cheese lactic blend with lightly soured apple juice and a passionfruit. Nice. In the glass, a lightly hazed orange-tinted gold, with a soft, soapy head of white. On the tongue, it’s alive with bold, bowling acidity, bright, clear and clean. Quiet tones of wheat sugars whisper through the veil of bold soured candies. Musty pig barns and scattered straw elicit a note of farms and apples. Out among the earthy glow is a vibrant bowl of fresh wet cranberries, puckering the corners of my mouth. So, fresh and delicate. A wisp of flowery perfume fills the humors, percolating the dying hop dryness. Beautiful all around.

03-08-2007 04:30:55 | More by CharlesDarwin
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

375 cl bottle pours (into my chimnay goblet) a chill hazed effervescent peach with 1 finger of white head that drops to about 1/3". A healthy film with lacing & bubbles chasing it all the way down the glass, but no real lacing to really speak of.

S: Sourness, raspberries & a little bit of horse blanket/barn smell

T: Sourness, dryness with berry sweetness up front. Tartness, lemons & leather follow. Finishes sour, super (woody) dry & tart. I am not a huge fan of this style, but this a nice change of pace & fairly representative, style-wise

MF: Light bodied, with near perfect/lively carbonation.

Drank really easy, just enough tartness to draw you in. I'd be happy with 1 of these & then time to move on. Especially at $8 a bottle. When ever I was in Belgium I tried not to drink the same beer twice in one sitting, too many others to enjoy!

02-25-2007 01:35:11 | More by russpowell
Hampton73

Georgia

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

The cork flew out of the bottle, but there was no beer spewage, as some others have reported.

This beer pours with a nice creamy off white head. The aroma is great for the style. Nice funky tart smell.

The hand pulls the glass form the mouth as the first drops hit the tongue. The acidity and tartness, while expected by the brain, still surprise the tongue. But once the tongue gets used to the tartness, it processes the flavors that were predicted by the first smell. Very complex, funky flavor. And very good.

Mouthfeel is nice and light, with a lot of carbonation.

Overrall, a great Gueuze.

02-17-2007 22:57:03 | More by Hampton73
Absumaster

Netherlands

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

A golden, yellow clear beer with a small, bubbly head. When opening the bottle, beer came gushing out of the bottle.

Smell of straw and oxidized, with grapefruit and horseblanket and barnyard funkiness.

Taste is mouth puckering, acidic, my tongue is numbed out at first, but slowly gets used to the sourness. There is this barnyard funkiness again, which reminds me of straw, grapefruit, oxidation, lemon, Turkish tea and some malt.
Aftertaste is dry and lingering sour and activates my saliva glands from start to finish.

This isn't really my favorite beerstyle, but I reviewed the beer the way I think it meets the Gueuze specifications.

02-09-2007 17:44:09 | More by Absumaster