Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) - Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

pDev: 10%
Brouwerij Girardin

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Unfiltered version.

(Beer added by: marburg on 09-28-2002)
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

orangey amber colored with a bubbly head that dies to a ring pretty quickly.
it's got a lemon and lime with a little bit of funky baryard, faint *faint* marigold, and also a little damp soil. and hay. warmth brings out the funk.
the taste is very tart, but not excessively so. it's got some sweetness to round out and balance a little. you get the lemon from the scent, but not the lime, along with white grape. you also find strawberry. very nice, it's pretty refined as the style goes. there's a a little bit of a sweet wood character towards the finish.
the body is medium with moderate carbonation.
good drinkability, it maintains a good balance of sourness to drinkability. it avoids being severely puckering, leaving an empty glass quickly.

Caged/Corked

Thanks to Bitterbill for this brew.

This is my first Gueuze. Poured into a chalice a nice clean/clear golden orange color, awesome carbonation, basically no head or sticky lacing from this one. The nose
is tangy, malty, slightly sweet, lots of lemon, slight yeast, floral, and some spices. The taste is slightly sweet, then the tangy/bitter kick in big time, getting some yeast notes, and spicyness. The finish is dry, bitter, and tangy. Medium body. Drinkable, not bad at all, much better than I thought it would be. Might just seek out other Gueuze. Recommended, thanks again Bill for a chance to try something different.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

This was defiantly an interesting brew for me. I am never sure what I am going to get when I open something like this, but there is only one way to find out. Popped the cork and it let out a nice pop and audible hiss, so this one was defiantly still alive. Poured into a tulip it was a light orange brown with a very nice three finger head of lace and a good amount of carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Nice retention only gradually let the head fade away, what was left was a very nice set of concentric side glass rings of lace. Smell was very sour, lots of grapes and other fruits. A bit light on the nose before the sour wrath kicks in. Flavor was very full and robust. Nice yeast filled flavor wrecks your taste buds but calms down considerably on the finish. A huge rush of sour fruit than kicks into overdrive and puckers your lips through the finish. This was a wonderfully unique brew that had a very good flavor and a light fruity feel that really made it shine. I could see why it is rated so high, as it is quite different then anything I had tried in the past. This was very much a great brew and something I would look forward to sipping on again. Highly recommend this one.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

got this one from DrJay as part of the BC2. thanks jay!

375ml bottle, corked and caged. cork shows 11 06.

pours crystal clear deep yellow, not quite amber, with a small white head. the head drops somewhat slowly and leaves no lace.

aroma is great. strong sour blast. lemon + malt vinegar. barnyard funk.white bread and crackers.

taste is great. slightly sharp sour lemon at first, mellowing into light malt vinegar and a nice light sweetness. cracker. hints of lime and orange. bit of barnyard funk, but mostly leaning towards a more pure sourness. as it warms a bit more funk comes out - horse blanket and barnyard funk. after a while i start to pick out just a little vanilla hiding in the background.

mouthfeel is good. medium-high carbonation initially that quickly faded to a more medium level. fairly light body with a nice dry finish. the sourness has a very clingy mouthfeel that hangs around for a minute after its gone.

drinkability is good. the sourness is strong, but not overpowering. the backing malt and light citrus sweetness balances it fairly well.

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- With a sharp pop of the cork, this beer flowed freely from the bottle. It has a crystal clear golden orange body with a spongy head that lasted a bit supported by strands of micro-bubbles.

S- The smell of tart vinegar was mellow with a finish of green raisins that were a bit sharp also.

T- This beer has a smooth tartness of aged white vinegar with some softer apple and citrus flavors. There was a dry spice note of cinnamon bark and wood in the finish.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with an astringent pucker that makes the jaws lock for a sip or two.

D- This beer has a nice depth but it is a bit overpowered by the tartness. That leads me to take another sip to try and unravel this beer. I would like to try some different ages on this beer to see how it matures.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a good head from a beer that is flowing with carbonation very quickly. The most of the head goes away, but there's a thin layer that stays behind. The color is a nice orangey-brown-tan color that's cloudy. The smell is deep farmhouse sour flavors from horse blanket ;) to lemon and grapefruit. The taste is pretty mellow for a gueuze, a good blend. Not overpowering with sourness, but not mellow enough to let you forget you're drinking a gueuze. The mouthfeel is acidic, carbonated, and dry. It's like drinking champaign lemon juice.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

I believe that I picked this bottle up at Knightly Spirits in Orlando when I was there traveling on business. This is my 500th review, so I thought I would review something special. Gueuze is one of my favorite styles, and this is one of the best in my current stash. With that in mind, here we go for #500!

Appearance: The beer pours a somewhat hazy burnt orange color with tons of bubbles rising to maintain a 1/4" head that looks like it is going to be around forever.

Aroma: I initially get lots of light citrus and barnyard aromatics with acid noticeable as a burn in the nostrils. There are some apples and other fruit, but the citrus (Oranges, Lemons, Grapefruit) are the dominant aromas in the cold beer. As the beer warms, the aroma changes a whole lot. It is getting more bubblegum-like as it warms up.

Taste: The flavor is really light and well carbonated. It is a refreshing beer with plenty of citrus and a mild earthy barnyard aftertaste. It is as refreshing as a sparkling lemonade would be with a subtle wheat-like flavor that sets it apart from the lemonade. However, the residual sweetness still leans back to the lemonade side. The finish actually has a bit of deceptive warming on the back of the throat that I am not sure is alcohol or just the acidity playing tricks on my palate.

Opinion: Boy, you just don't come across a beer like this too often, and this is the reason why I like the Gueuze styles so much. There are so many flavors in here, I barely do it justice by comparing it to lemonade, but that is where my mind goes when drinking this beer. It is light and refreshing with lots of citrus and carbonation. It goes down really smooth, but I imagine that the acidity would get the best of you if you drank a whole lot of this beer.

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Pours a glowing sunburst orange hue, topped by a bit of head that appears cloud-like and exhibits solid lace and retention.

S: Has a definite sourness in the nose that's immediately noticeable, as in right as the cork was popped, along with the underlying yeasty smell that is characteristic of Belgians. Some notes of grapefruit citrus in the bouquet as well.

T: Nothing but tart on the palate, almost unbearably so, with the grapefruit sourness dominating, and an overall sour apple taste. Still, at the same time it has the drying and bubbly quality of a champagne. I'm blown away, but just not in the usual manner.

M: Again, bubbly and dry, in the vein of champagne.

D: This one has me totally rethinking my outlook on beer. Being my first Gueuze, I really don't know what to say. I wouldn't call this incredibly "drinkable," as it's definitely a challenging beer to consume. At the same time, it's unlike anything I've had, so I can't really knock it either. The best I can do is note its characteristics and give my take. So there you have it.

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Big thanks to my man tpd975 for this. He suggested it, so I had to take his word!

375 mL bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a sunset orange hue with a fluffy one finger head that dies down to a nice layer that lasts. Stickiness is pretty good, nothing spectacular. Smell is big in acidity with a whole bunch of granny smith apples and sour cherries. Some yeasty goodness and fresh mowed grass tickle the nose as well. Taste is sour grapefruit up front with a bitter hop bite that has a grainy earth flavor. Bready yeast flavors emerge midway through and leave a similar aftertaste as well. Mouthfeel is very light bodied with a boat load of carbonation. My first beer of this style, but I find it quite drinkable. So light and fluffy and easy to put down. Definitely glad I had the opportunity to try this one. You the man Greg!

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Pours a hazy deep golden light orange with a thin bubbly white head.

S - Very tart with wet barnyard funk and faint hints of apples and lemon grass.

T - Starts tart with a puckering funkiness that stings the tastebuds. This tart bite decreases as it warms. Not sure if it is the warming or just getting use to it. Barnyard, lemon and wet straw round it out. It takes the taste buds for a ride.

M - On the light side of medium with champagne like carbonation and a dry tartness the bites on the tongue. Very nice.

D - A great geuze that starts very tart and mellows as you drink it.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured out of a 37,5 cl bottle in to a cantillon gueuze glass. It poured a really bubble head that disapated to a small thin lacy head within one min. . Murky golden orange color with lively carbonation. Smell light barnyard funk with a mild blue cheese aroma. Nice balance of dry vs tartness in the taste. Green apples acidity matched with a light lemon vingear backing. Mouth feel is dry but with a pretty light body. Its a very lovely gueuze because of its very balanced structure which helps this gueuze to be one of the more drinkable gueuze.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

375ml corked & caged bottle received via I Want That BIF 3 from ClockworkOrange. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, forming a 1/2" eggshell head over the cloudy golden amber brew. Head fades gradually but slowly, with plenty of coating, slow-falling lace. Aroma is tart, with undercurrents of smokiness and light funk. Taste is also dominantly tart, but with fruity undertones, and somehow is not as acidic as some of the more intense gueuzes get (read: Cantillon). Mouthfeel is amazingly creamy for the style, and quite drinkable. Has that thirst-quenchingness going on as well. Nice well-rounded brew.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer pours a light yellowish orange color with a nice sised white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a great lacing.

This beer smells lemony citrus like. It has a slightly sour aroma. I can also smell some earthy yeast, and Belgian funk. It also has a slightly grainy aroma.

The taste is exactly like the aroma. Sour, but only mildly so. Citrus fruit. It has an earthy yeast flavor. Also, I taste some grain.

This beer is refreshing. It leaves a sour aftertaste. It is perfectly carbonated.

This beer might make a good session beer. The sourness might become cloying after a time.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer. I like the sour flavor and aroma quite a bit.

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this beauty from tpd975 along with a bevy of other awesome beers. Comes in a 12.7oz caged and corked bottle with 1106 stamped on the cork. Nice looking bottle. Drank from my Rogue Überfest Pilsner glass while watching the Dallas vs Chicago Sunday Night Football Game.

Appearance- Pours a dark murky yellow orange with a huge fluffy white head. Lots of tiny bubbles permeate throughout the glass. The head has tremendous staying power leaving a nice cap and collar the entire duration of the beer. Zippo on the lacing.
Smell- Dingy and dirty yeastiness makes this beer smell like a wet basement (Beautiful!). Lots of sour apples and cherries with small hints of Hef like bananas. Very bold and charismatic.
Taste- Very puckering up front with a lemon like sourness. Tart green apple is very sour in the mouth and is very astringent. Small amount of yeast flavor add a bit of peppery spiciness but not as much as I expected from the nose. Definitely a Gueuze but one with an extreme sourness.
Mouthfeel- Very astringent with aggressive, seltzer like carbonation.
Drinkability- Personally I could only drink one of these little guys but I can see why this beer is loved. I'm not really one for sour beers but this does so in a very approachable way. Sour enough for the die hard yet not so extreme that a noob ass like myself can't enjoy. Very glad I tried and thanks again to tpd975!!

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Purchased at Wilbur's in Ft Collins

Pours from 37.5 CL caged and corked bottle(10709 on the cork) a cloudy yellow orange with very small bubbles, a nice thick head of foam, and very nice sticky lacing.

The smell is very strong in the sour fruit department..lemon and green apple.

The taste is just...yummy! Big sour notes invade my palate but the invasion is more than welcome. I'm getting notes of lemon, green apple, and some spicy pepper. It kind of reminds me of La Folie without the malt. Very darn tasty and wow. 5%abv?? Could I session on it? Give me some time to think on that.

Further sips in provide the answer for me. Yep. I find this one *very* drinkable...no wonder it made it to the top 100 in the best of BA. The finish is very sour with a some bitterness, the mouthfeel, well, it feels just right and the carbo is light. Did I mention that this one is very drinkable? ;^)

Bottom line: This is my first experience with a Gueuze and if I get a chance, I'll try some more of the style. It's right up my alley. You have to try this if you see it locally!!!

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

375ml bottle, caged and corked. Pours a golden orange with a large fizzy white head that recedes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sour and tart fruits (apples) with some sugary sweetness and champagne. A little yeast comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sour tart apples with a dry champagne-like finish. The mouthfeel is medium with sharp bubbly carbonation.

Overall, a good beer, but not one of the better sours I've had. I don't care for the champagne and apples. It almost seems like a cross between champagne and cider. It's not as complex as I was expecting.

To me, this is the ultimate lambic in the world. Twelve ounces of pure enjoyment for the senses that leaves you wanting more.

Beautiful hazy gold appearence with a small, tight head.

Aromas of granny smith apples, lemon, musty barnyard, leather, earth and vinegar.

Taste is an amalgam of tart apples, cider vinegar, juicy nectarines and other just underripe stone fruits with a lemon pithiness that slakes any thirst.

Mouthfeel ranges from an initial pucker to a satisfying quench to the inevitible salavation for the next luxurious sip.

Drinkability is through the roof, off the charts, etc. etc.

Black Label pairs so wonderfully with such a wide array of foods, from mussels to crab cakes to rich, unctuous soft cheeses to nuanced fresh grilled vegetables, to richly sauced cuts of meat. This is the beer that I would want on my table at all times - as an aperitif or a digestif it has no equal. Despite being so damn approachable, Black Label manages to pull off the near impossible feat of being refined and elegant at the same time. It is a drink for both the peasants and the aristocracy alike.

One of the top ten beers in the world as far as I'm concerned.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Opens with a huge champagne like pop. Unknown vintage. Purchased 8 months ago at Discount Liquors in Milwaukee for $7.99. Likely an old bottle.

Pours a light gold with lots of tiny bubbles but no head or lacing. Champagne like in that there really is a ridiculous amount of carbonation yet no head (aside from a two second blast of white while pouring).

Wonderful aroma. Very funky. Lots of barnyard aroma. Citrus, must, cider, and particularly lemon rind.

Sourness is subdued in the feel, at least by geuze standards and the flavor is a more balanced and refined funk than I’m used to. Plenty of citrus, mostly lemon and a lot of wet straw and must. Highly acidic and absolutely assertive carbonation. Very dry. Exceptionally balanced. Highly drinkable.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

My first gueuze. I've had a few Cantillon fruit lambics and some American stuff fermented with brett, but I'm excited to taste the real thing. Cork stamped with '1106'.

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Unibroue tulip a crystal clear golden amber. A one finger white head forms atop and has very good staying power. It eventually drops to a dense splotchiness of white foam.

SMELL: Smell is extremely pungent and quite a bit tart. A wet straw barnyard aroma is quite prominent. Vague fruity aromas associated with the tartness seem to be present, but are not that identifiable. Very strong, in-your-face smells.

TASTE: Begins very smooth and presents an incredible funky taste right off the bat. As it crosses the palate, it becomes a tad bit harsh and has a very strong tartness that borders on being bitter. But just as I'm wondering where this harshness is coming from, the beer smooths itself out, and then some. It finishes with a strong barnyard character and hints of sweet and sour citrus notes. Call me impressed.

MOUTHFEEL: A very smooth drinker with a fine, effervescent, champagne-like carbonation.

DRINKABILITY: Not too much gets in the way here. A low ABV and an easy drinking body make this bottle seem way too small. The slight sour and/or bitter harshness is the only detractor for drinkability, but it could very well just be to style.

Wonderful. I wish the price tag wasn't so steep or this would be a surefire repeat buy for me. As it is, I know I'll still stop and think about it every time I pass it on the shelf.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

poured into my dogfish head snifter, a cloudy yellowish color with a finger white head.

smell was of lemony grassy, sour fruit, hay, barnyard aromas.

taste was vinegary and citrusy-sour. some crab apple sourness and a dry acidic finish. i was smacking my tongue on the roof to get all the sourness left on my tongue out. if you take a sip and just let the beer sit on your tongue, it will shudder and shiver because of the tart sourness. i love it.

very refreshing beer, and good drinkability. if your looking for a sour beer with lemony-citrus flavor and some good ole funkiness, this is what you need.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Finally got this at my store.

Served cellar temp into my Tripel Karmeliet glass.

Appearance is very good. Hazy peach colored beer with a nice fluffy head that forms. Enticing for sure.

Smell is very good. Lemonhead candy, funky yeast, sour green apple and horse blanket. Fantastic.

Taste is exceptional. One of the most citrusy Gueuzes I've ever had. The flavor isn't as dry as other gueuzes i've had but the smoothness is exceptional on the palet. Finishes acidic, slightly dry, very crisp and off the charts refreshing. Amazing.

Mouthfeel is very good. Carbonation level is below-average which is where i like my gueuzes to typically be. Dry mouthfeel that eventually leaves the mouth watering, wanting more.

Drinkability is exceptional. I can seriously drink this stuff all day. Can i get a keg of this stuff, please?

Overall:
A world-class Gueuze that's a new favorite. Highly recommended.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

poured from a 375 ml bottle into a snifter

A- foggy golden yellow with thick white head that lasted forever

S- sour, idk, never smelled anything like this, kinda burns the nose a little

T- nice strong sourness, however it isnt overwhelming, it provides the bulk of the flavor, very smooth and enjoyable, pretty dry flavor

M- sharp carbonation pretty light body

D- pretty good, have to like sour beers as its still

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

12.7oz bottle purchased for $7.99 on 7-20-7 at Belmont Station.

The Cork appears to be stamped "1106" but it's kinda smeared so I'm not positive on that. So I'm guessing November of '06? Sounds about right.

Pours a glowing gold with a pretty nice sized head. Solid carbonation with this one. The aroma is funky, as expected. Very similar to Cantillon, but maybe a bit mellower. The taste is awesome. Not as sour as the 3 Fonteinen or Cantillon's I've tried, but there seems to be a bit more depth here. Nice batch. Excellent carbonation and overall mouthfeel. I could drink this all day. Highly recommended.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This had a cloudy amber orangish body with TONS of head. The aroma was very tart and had the classic gueuze smell. The flavor was even more sour than the aroma and made the glands in my neck tingle. Probably one of the best gueuzes in terms of the sourness. It reminded me slightly of La Terroir in sourness level. Light bodied with very good drinkability.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Wow this baby is good. I have nearly wiped the shelves clean at the beer store, both for consumption and for trade.

A: This baby is a cloudy peachish orange in color with a steay flow of bubbles almost like Champagne.

S: Lemon with a funk

T: Pucker up baby this one has kick. The most wonderful sourness of the best citrus your mind could imagine. Finishes dry, I will stop here because I can not describe this brew.

M: Perfectly carbonated yet dry, like a $100 bottle of Champagne.

D: Off the charts here, bartender give me another. This baby goes down so smooth I am yearning for more. I feel like royalty as I drink this baby. I'm not worthy.

Overall: Love it, Love, it, Love it. Did I mention that I am in love. This could be a session brew for me. In these hot summer months of Florida I have fallen for the Gueuze. I have found others, but none surpass the black label. Still searching out better, but for now I have my hands on the holy grail.

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) from Brouwerij Girardin