Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label) - Brouwerij Girardin

Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)Girardin Gueuze 1882 (Black Label)

pDev: 10%
Brouwerij Girardin

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Unfiltered version.

(Beer added by: marburg on 09-28-2002)
3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Pours a nice golden color with lots of bubbles. Thick head subsides into maybe 1/8".

S: Light citrus/fruit smell, hint of hay smell...

T: Light citrus, strong wheat/hay, hint of a spice I can't put my finger on. Bit of a sour kick.

M: Heavy carbonation on the tongue, light feel on the palate.

D: Don't know that I'd be able to drink more than a glass seeing as how the sourness is pretty strong and kinda upsets my stomach. Otherwise not a bad beer.

stof0048, Dec 17, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The beer poured into the tulip slightly hazy light amber, almost copper with a very low and white head that disappeared in an instant.

The aroma was fruity, from a mile away. The aroma when brought to the nose was very fruity with a cherry impression and acidic sour aromatic that quickly would have let one know in a blind taste taste that this was going to be a lambic.

The flavor was light and fruity with a mild acidic tartness that while bordering on sour was nice and well balanced. The fruit flavor contained the familar grapeskin/seed character of many lambics, but in a more restrained and refined fashion.

The finish was dry with a lasting tart character into the aftertaste and a fruity flavor carried along for the ride. The body was medium and the carbonation was fairly low. This one missed the mark only on appearance. Otherwise a nice beer to have.

37.5 cl green, corked and bailed bottle. Purchased at Whole Foods in Vienna, VA.

GCBrewingCo, Nov 09, 2005
4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

now that I'm done changing my shirt....

This was UPSed to me and 2 days later the unchilled bottle exploded when opened and I just got a facial from one of the best beers ever and I'm not sure I even mind. Not the makers fault..just a warning to others that may decide to mail order this as well. I guess some people pay alot more for a similiar experience...nuff said. I drank $5 worth of the 375 ml bottle, I took the other $5 all over my willing body.

This is one of the best beers I've ever had in 15+ years of drinking lambic. The almost greenish/gold color is the only thing remotely off-putting about this beer. I wouldn't care if it was bright purple...it's one of the best, if not the best lambic I've had. Poured into a goblet and the whole room smells like band-aid, baby skin, sandlewood, girl-parts, faint clove-honey and not a single trace of hop. The mouthfeel is wine like and low carbonation almost like the unblended Cantillon. You don't need to be paying attention to get bowled over by a rush of floral sour but a attentive drinker will thrill to the most complex aftertaste I know that develops on your tongue for well over a minute. Pears strained through suede, green grapes, sweet rice, tallegio cheese are the main tastes I can verbalize. This is a lambic poseur-disposer as the high funk and tart factors will repel the uninitiated. I ate dates wrapped in bacon with this and it balances with the salty sweetness so well I almost wept. Those that find most fruit lambics cloying and crave the most complex - this is it. This is an elite beer for an experienced lambic drinker and once you've had this...only the top flight geuze will scratch your lambic itches. Track it down...share it only with those in the know and don't feel too freaky if you also don't mind it spraying all over your face. One of the top 5 beers I know and essential if you like geuze.

ChampionJaguar, Oct 22, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

37.5cL bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium orange color with one finger of head. A little bit of lacing left on the glass. The smell is funk funk funk. Lots of that classic barnyard funk. A little bit of white grape aroma as well. The taste is more and more funky. The flavors are fantastic, tart, yet a little sweet. No offensive flavors whatsoever. Lots of great horse flavors! Yummy. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and strong. The drinkability is great for a Gueuze. Thanks a lot to Kev for this beer!

SheepNutz, Sep 16, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a brilliant golden color with a very modest coating of head. Very clear. The nose is sour and tart. Nice Brett character. Smells like a gueuze should. Very crisp and inticing. Flavor is so good. Intense funky sour hits first, but fades just as quick as the punch. The finish is very mellow wheaty. Very little sticky spit hangs on with the finish. Divine. The feel is moderate with a very fine carbonation. Drinkability is outstanding. The sourness is not offensive, as I found the Cuvee Rene. It doesn't cling to my mouth or hang on. Very crisp and refreshing. Not offensive. I truely enjoy this brew. Sour beers are quickly becoming like crack to me, so this is a true treat.

kmpitz2, Sep 16, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a cloudy yellow color with a small head that falls fast and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma is very sour and acidic with some fruity hints. The flavor is very sour, but very tasty. Very sour. Extremely tasty, but the sour isn't really my thing - but I can respect it. The body is moderate and the drinkability is good, if you can respect the style.

clvand0, Sep 16, 2005
4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Surprisingly dark golden yellow pour, moderately hazy, almost orangey. Amazingly balanced aroma. Huge sweet malt kiss complements the character loaded brettanomyces that come out horsey, cheesy and sweaty. Funky and clean at the same time, but above all elegant and farmy. Apparently sweet which have me anticipating a dessert gueuze. Notes of vanilla, cask wood, sand, earth. Indeed very sweet for a gueuze, this is not really what I was anticipating, but I can appreciate greatness when I taste it and this is just as good as Cuvée René with incredible nostalgic character. Pie crust and bread. Not very acid at all, just a balancing tartness. Honeyed maltiness gets overwhelmed by wood juice, powdery glue-like flavors. I don’t really feels the taste was as good as the incredible aroma, but it does grow on me as it warms. It just has this terrific sandy dry-out effect that asks to be let on the table taking some air and breathing like fine wines. Gentle astringency, fitting low carbonation. Medium-full bodied and smooth on the tongue. One of the best in its kind and worthy of every bit of praise it gathers. Complex beyond imagination all while being insanely drinkable. Thanks again Per. <br> A further sampling confirms to me that the real girardin gueuze outclasses cuvée rené by a fair margin as my favorite gueuze. Highly drinkable yet very assertive. It just does everything as I want it and for now stands as the best I’ve had, though some of those rare drie fonteinen look like they could stand up to its level.

Rastacouere, Sep 12, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

37.5 cl bottle, no freshness date, rings of bacteria around the top of the bottle

Pours a clear, light yellow/tan. I was warned of bottle bombs, but this was not one. Light carbonation when poured. Bubbles were constant and ever refreshing. A thin head stayed throughout, but not retained at a high level.

Smell is cidery. Apple. First taste yields a prickly sensation in the mouth. Sour apple, maybe a hint of rhubarb? Dry finish. Light body.
Not as interesting as I had hoped. I enjoyed it, but it doesn’t stand out as special to me in this category. Worth a try to find out for yourself.

sacfly, Sep 11, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to GClarkage for the trade. Poured into a St. Bernardus chalice.

This was a hazy, golden orange beer with a one finger head that dissipated quickly to a layer of foam, which lasted throughout the glass.

Aroma was like hard cider with a little other fruitiness thrown in. Quite wild and funky. A little floral, with some sweet & sour thrown in.

Taste... TART and SOUR. Slightly fruity, and I suppose if you reached you could find some sweetness in there. Very different from an American Wild Ale, that's for sure.

Mouthfeel... carbonated, dry, and mouth-puckering. VERY good for the flavor.

Drinkability... pretty damn good. Although I would not want two in a row, I could go for two in a session, broken up by perhaps a wheat beer or something light and not too hoppy.

connecticutpoet, Aug 25, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Cork Marking: 0103: Poured a bubbly pinkish, yellow, orange color with a small cream tan head and a little lacing on the glass. Tart acidic, sour, horseblanket aroma. Tart citrus (lemon peel and apples), oaky, and woody, with a crisp, dry finish. My bottle did not explode.

egajdzis, Aug 09, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

gives off a reddish hue, more orange upon inspection. minimally hazy. can't resist the urge to sniff, it's bacteria and floral goodness nicely balanced. serious bubbling on the surface, foamy. not super carbed. hits my lips with the immediate tart and tingly quality of live beer.. affects all taste buds and pucker-sensitive spots in my mouth, despite the overall tameness of its barnyard qualities. hay-like dryness and lots of botanicals here. clean tart finish like a green raspberry. sublime and delicious. for the first time, i drink a gueuze without interference and/or any crippling taste elements. masterful control over a 'wild' beer here. best of the style so far in my book (maybe my 10th gueuze?)

side note: i am glad i had the opportunity to try this AFTER many standard-to-above average gueuzes, otherwise my appreciation would be limited. if you can get it, fine.. fridge it and get some others to try first. the results will be amazing.

goodbyeohio, Jul 17, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

07/08/05- Had a BA member Spinlock's house at a beer/dinner party.

Presentation- 375ml bottle, undated. Poured into a champagne flute.

Appearance- Spritzy yellow colored pour. Large carbonation head and minor lacing.

Smell- I'm beginning to figure out the barnyard scent. Musty and rather stinky, but I guess this is a good thing.

Taste- Was expecting this to be a bit more sweet as I have read that typically a gueuze is sweeter than straight lambics. Well, it was a bit more sweet, but not much. Lots of lemon zest and some other mingling fruit tastes as well. Tart, but not cry baby tears tart. Think of a flanders ale but just a tad more sour.

Mouthfeel- Will make you pucker, many a times. Well, carbonated, but still and easy one to drink.

Drinkability- My first gueuze, and certainly not my last. This one was a good one to start with.

GClarkage, Jul 10, 2005
4.9/5  rDev +14%

Lightly hazy, the liquid looks like sunshine in the morning; there is a coppery-golden vibe with a very slight suggestion of amber. The liquid is beautiful. The head was basically white in color; at the apex the foam was almost a half finger in height. Head retention was fair; it quickly faded to a soapy cap and then a soapy collar that was naked in the middle. This collar lasted for the whole consumption. There was no subsequent lacing. On the whole, this is a terrific looking beer.

The nose is some George Clinton/P-Funk thing. The nose smells rural. I must be standing in an apple orchard with an old wooden fence surrounding it. The light breeze occasionally floats aromas of mold, grape leaves, mulch, and a nearby barn that seems to have livestock in it. I’m guessing horse because I can smell their blanket and saddle leather. There is unmistakable lemony tartness, tart cherries, and fruity vinegar doused on wheat bread that was sprinkled with Italian herbs; this must be from my picnic basket. The bouquet is very complex; most of the aromas are soft but very deep. I smelled this beer for along time and I still couldn’t figure out everything it was saying. It is beautiful. The potency is close to loud enough for me; still I hear everything it is saying. My mouth is watering in anticipation. It is perfect. It is Gueuze.

I bet there would have been a time when this beer would have shocked the shit out of me. The tartness hits like Mike Tyson circa 1988. A couple of years ago I would have been KO’ed. Now, I relish the massive tartness, I let it glide over my tongue. I feel the endorphin rush. This beer is tart, it is dry, it is sour, it is juicy… it is Gueuze. I love the complexity; there is so much going on here. Most of the flavors are secondary and they bend at the will of the other flavors. The tartness manifests itself in a combination of flavors like cherry and lemon zest. Vinegar. It is a grassy knoll with barnyard. Horse blanket. Horsehair. I taste moldy apples… and a few fresh ones as well. Hell, there is even a hint of rhubarb-apple pie with a wheaty, lightly baked crust. It is herbal at times. Hot on occasion. Raw yeast. Leathery. Juicy and dry… this beer is a complete work of art. This might not be the most acidic I’ve tasted but it is very refined and well thought out. I could write more about the taste but you get the gist. There is an encyclopedia of flavor.

Around medium in body, maybe a tickler fuller, the carbonation is low but lively enough. The mouthfeel is exciting yet relaxing. It inspired me to take a sip but it encourages me to hold it in and not to swallow. I can’t imagine how wonderful this beer would be with stinky, pungent cheese.

This beer is damn drinkable. My 12.7oz bottle is not enough. I purchased my bottle in Iowa City, IA. I was surprised to see it and I hope there is more when I return. I really loved every aspect of it. Not only is it incredibly flavorsome and extremely complex it is exceedingly refreshing! What a great “summery” beer. It is low in alcohol as well. But don’t misunderstand me; this beer would be great anytime, anywhere. If you want a great Guezue I suggest Girardin. Damn near total perfection. Highly Recommended.

bditty187, Jun 09, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

49F
Color of aged, newly waxed yellow pine floor boards. Large froth slowly collapses to overwhipped egg whites, then lays down on my gooze; leaves a thick lace.
It smells like I slipped and fell on some fermented apple cider mash on the floor of a stone milk house with old spilled milk in the corners, and my nose comes to rest against a pair of work boots with fresh manure on the bottom, and I bump my head on the bottom of a wet butcher block used for washing socks in buttermilk and lemon juice.
As I gather myself to sample -- soooo souour. My tongue is chasing creme fraiche over fresh cut apple wood, across boards in a roquefort aging room, over buttermilk spills, and across river rock, and then I let it rest in a squeezed out lime half. This must be what a dog feels when licking his privates after a day of chasing livestock. This is a bewitching fermented food.

gbontrag, Jun 06, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +9.3%

Frosted tangerine with a close-cropped, milky yellowed rise.
Aromatic of vinegar-steeped limes, rusted iron, bretty saddle bags, and apple skin.
Begins with a sturdy wheatiness, carrying lemon and dough, that quickly broadens and lengthens into a deluge of concentrated lime juice tartness; one spiked with balsamic vinegar, apple peel, and fresh cilantro. Stonier as it sits, full of granite dust and limestone, as a quelling quinine bitter dryness arises, mingled with a lightly astringent salinity. Funk come late here, right at the swallow, as it exits with a middle finger of rusted farm equipment, mushrooms, hay, brett, and sweaty horsehair.
It never becomes quite as shockingly and acidicly tart as some gueuze, but the finish is mouth-rippingly dry. Truly cotton mouth inducing.
A generally light body carries a steadfast carbonation, and a well-hewn sense of malt-funk balance. It is as drinkable as any, as each sip is parching and seemingly makes a person insatiably thirstier.
Right up there with some of Cantillon's jewels for best-in-class.

cokes, May 21, 2005
4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Hazy apricot. Large white head. Sour lemon aroma with the funk in the background. The taste is sour. Very sour. Fruity, but unlike any single fruit I've had. I guess grapes is the closest. A little spicy too. I've heard War Heads candy used to describe the taste of a gueuze before, but it never seemed quite right until I tried this gueuze. This definitely makes the cheeks pucker a bit. But as others have described, it's quite drinkable. I find it very difficult to put my glass down. I would have liked the mouthfeel to be a little fuller. This beer doesn't coat the mouth and leave behind a barnyard flavor the way some other gueuzes. On the other hand, unlike some gueuzes, I wish I could drink this every day. This is a great beer.

beveragecaptain, May 07, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a big bubbly head at first, but it disappears to nothing in no time. Carbonation? Can you say none?

Aroma is wonderful- apple cider, sharp tang of sourness. None of the really off harshness of other gueuzes.

But in the flavor- it is there in spades. Sour, sour, sour. There is the dry winey apple-grape flavor, and definite organics that gueuze lovers love. Very acidic finish. It's really good, but it doesn't balance as nicely as a few of the others I've had.

Mouthfeel is moderate. I can definitely drink this one. But to be honest, not my most favorite.

Dukeofearl, Apr 26, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

I got this on a total whim at a bar, and now reading other reviews I guess it is one of the best of its kind...

Pours a dark hazy yellow. Very pungent smell almost like grapefruit juice and champagne. The taste is overwhelming. At first I thought something was wrong because it was so sour, but the bartender explained to me that its how it should be. Definitely not a beer you can drink fast, only sip slow. I can see the craft in it, but as for something that I would have on a regular basis I don't know... I guess that any fan of beer who wants to try something totally new would be into this.

Toddv29424, Apr 21, 2005
4.13/5  rDev -4%

33 ml. bottle. Extremely cloudy yellow-orange, with retaining thin head around the rim, and noticeable lace. Aroma of cider and bleach. Initial taste of rounded softened apple juice sourness. Cannot be drunk quickly, only sipped. Sour vinegar and acid leads to tongue freezing, mouth puckering, and jaw fatigue that was tolerable and long lasting. Aftertaste was a medicinal drying,unresolved for hours by water. Medium in texture on the mouth. Thanks Clarkevv. This is not my preferred style, and I am striving to rate it within its style.

Sammy, Apr 12, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Pours a somewhat hazy deep orange color with amber hues and a beautiful light white head that just leaves a tickle of a lace. Aromas are a mix of spiced tart apples along with some black pepper and some fun loving barnyard and earthy grass tones. Initially this brew starts off with tart apple and pear notes with a zinging carbonation that dances all around on my pallate. Following there are hints of spices, specifically pepper, with some strong acidic and citric notes. The finish is nicely sour and tart, with firm catty tones are a slightly dry end. Overall this is definetly one of the kings of gueuzes and I will definetly be seeking out more of this whenever I can.

bigbeerdrinka, Mar 07, 2005
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Presentation: 12.7 oz bottle.

Appearance: Poured a light amber color, the head formed small and remained there throughout.

Aroma: Musty, it smelled like an old basement.

Taste: Reminded me of sour apples. Very tart, and somewhat lemony on the finish. Despite all that this beer is very smooth.

Overall: This is my first gueuze, and I'm rather impressed. I couldn't drink this every day, but rather I'd save it for special occasions.

FenwaySquid, Feb 23, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Easily the best gueuze I’ve had. The beer pours a beautiful pinkish amber verging on copper with a moderate, but dense, white head. The aroma is very fruity -- underripe peaches and apricots, horse blanket musty. The flavor is definitely sour, it comes across as salty by somehow activating those sensors on the tongue, but the saltiness turns into a puckering tartness on the back of the tongue. The tartness doesn’t overwhelm the rest of the beer, though as gree peach/apricot fruit mingles with a slight bit of sweetened toast malt. All of these flavors meld wonderfully into a complex and tasty lambic. Easier to drink than I expected, actually.

aracauna, Feb 22, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

11/26/2004, Bottle, Eulogy Bar, Philadelphia
Poured into a Lindemans flute glass

I've only had one other gueuze, which was Lindemans, and this bottle of Girardin 1882 Black Label was more complex, and damn good, in a funky kind of way.

Not much of a head, hazy golden color, and I could just sniff this stuff all day.

It was difficult for me to characterize the flavors and aromas, but I eventually picked up on some grassy/hay qualities. Definitely tart and sour at the same time. I can't quite pick up on the "barnyardy" stuff... unless that is the grassy/hay characteristics?

This is a refreshing, smooth-drinking beer that cleanses the palate. Off to try other gueuze beers. :)

JasonStrauss, Nov 27, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

12 oz corked and caged
Poured into a Strohs flute (don't ask where I got it, I can't even remember)

Pours a very nice golden color with just a small head. Carbonation is just wonderful with streams all along the sides of the glass. There is very little lacing but man this is a good looking beer.

Smell is...well, funky. It smells like old socks, hay, vinegar, and loads of other things that I should know better than to drink. Nevertheless, I push on.

Oh WOW...this is amazing. Lemony, acidic, funky, and just down right enjoyable. By far one of the more interesting flavors that I've experianced in my life. I'm having a hard time describing all of the flavors of this one.

Despite being very tart, this is remarkably smooth (at least the aftertaste). After the initial shock of tartness, this just smooths out ever so nicely over the tongue and just coats the taste buds.

Overall: WOW, just wow. I had been putting off trying a geuze for a long time because I've read the reviews and was kind of put off by the supposed "funkiness" of the style. I'm kind of kicking myself now for not trying more of them sooner. This is a style that I could see myself drinking much more than I probably should. I never believed in love at first sight, until now...

LuckySevens82, Nov 14, 2004
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

37.5 cL corked and caged bottle served chilled in a Deus flute.

Appearance: Clear peach twinged with pink liquid with visible streamers of carbonation. Small white cap of foam eventually faded a thick ring and small island of foam. Small specks of foam were left on the glass.

Smell: Rather pungent sour and tart aromas that made my nose hairs curl back, somewhat in horror. Lemony, musty, vinegary, and woody. Bretty funk is very apparent.

"You're actually gonna drink this?" the poison fearing lizard portion of my brain asks. "Hell yes" sez the part that knows better.

Taste: Brackish and tart. Heavy dosed with woody tannins. Lemony, vinegary, and acidic as all git out. Occasional note of metallic tang.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, rather effervescent. Lingering aftertastes of tannin and funk.

Drinkability: This stuff can't be good for my digestive system, but I guess that's why we have Tums. If you're looking for an authentic gueuze, this is probably one of the best ones to seek out.

ManekiNeko, Nov 11, 2004