Microbrew Invitational

Added by Bricelyn on 10-31-2013

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 17
Reviews by Bricelyn:
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Went down to Brewhaven in Nampa, ID today with my growler looking for something I hadn't had. Well I got what I wanted and I am glad cuz this stuff is pretty good!

This beer has the most beautiful color of ruby red that I have come across and to top it off the head is a gorgeous creme color that laces the whole way down the glass! Why do I love lacing so much!? It makes my glass look like a sexy lady thats why!

First thing you smell are the epic hops Amarillo, Crystal, and Chinook to be exact! second you smell a wonderful roasted barley followed by that awesome alcohol infused Co2.

At first it has a mouth filling hopieness that mellows into those wonderful roasted malts making the awesome red brew which mellows out into a sticky bitterness that never quite leaves your palette

Mouth feel is crisp and not to overly carbonated even at cold temps it doesn't explode with carbination in your mouth. As it warms up and smooths out its just as crisp and when its gone your back to the fridge for another pull off of your growler...

3.59/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

rb

12oz can picked up at Brewer's Haven today... Poured into my standard tulip... Pretty fantastic light tan head... foamy with good retention and lacing... the brew is lightly hazed amber.

Bigger than expected nose.. smells of pithy citrus with dark toast.. all around pretty darn good.

Flavor begins with a proper bitterness... dry toasty malt ... a bit of snappy biscuits or something like that... fermented out caramel .. hoppiness is pithy citrus and a lesser piney note.

Medium/light body... decent carbonation..

Very well done brew... I did not go into this thinking I would enjoy it as much as I did.. Payette hit this one pretty much out of the park.

3.25/3.5/2.75/3.5/3.5

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been trying the whole line from Payette and enjoyed this one the most so far. I was very impressed.

The look was incredible. It has an amazingly thick, sudsy head that won't quit, and that is cream colored. The beer itself is a beautiful reddish -brown It is opaque through the middle, with just a bit of translucence on the sides.

The smell is pretty mild. The first aspect you encounter is the sudsy, malty head. The brew itself offers a bit more. It has a slight fruity accent. There is hint of toast and it is a bit tangy. I wish the aroma were a bit stronger, but it was pleasant.

The taste is that of toasted malt and a hint of fruit. The beer has the right amount of bitterness. You can taste the alcohol a little, but it is not offensive. The aftertaste is that of burnt toast, and I loved it.

The feel is smooth and almost creamy. There is minimal hops burn on the throat, but the bitterness remains on the tongue for a while.

After doing my rating on this beer, I paired it with an egg roll. It would be an excellent accompaniment for Chinese food in general. It was good by itself, but would round out a meal very nicely. I would definitely buy it again. The only knock I have about this beer is that it is seasonal according to the label on the variety pack I bought.

3.88/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz can from a 6 pack bought from Winco superstore in S. Salem $7.49 Pours a nice dark amber with a good sized light tan head, that fades but leaves good lace. Good balanced aroma with toffee malts and niceresiny and citrus hopping. Smooth and balanced taste..with the malts winning at the end. Nice thick smooth low to medium carbonation. Nice beer

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

3.11/5  rDev -23%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

3.32/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

Very "thick" mouth feel. Not my preference.Tastes decent. Carmel flavor aftertaste.

3.71/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.24/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

3.6/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pleasantly surprised. Strong yet smooth. Dark amber with small beige head. Mainly malt with some stinging hops on the back end. Tasty stuff. This has become one of my go-to beers (when in season).

4.9/5  rDev +21.3%

My favorite winter beer in Idaho thus far.
Pours into a a lake of red velvet with cream on top, out of a can sir.
I want to give it to a cold kid in Russia.
Boozy for the breed but it pulls it off.
Smiling, laughing, fun, red-faced (it's heavy) buzz.
Ben Franklin would like this beer.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Slaughterhouse Red India Ale from Payette Brewing
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.