Mexican Chocolate Stout - Copper Kettle Brewing Company

Copper Kettle Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: ArrogantB on 06-02-2011

2011 Gold Medal at the Great American Beer Festival in the Spice/Herb category.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mexican Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a 22 oz brown bottle with no dating that I could discern on the label. That said, after opening it, I'm pretty sure it's fresh, based on the explosion of aroma and flavor that came billowing out of the bottle. Poured into a large New Belgium tulip glass.

Appearance (4.0) - Pours a dark bistre brown, reminiscent of wet tree bark and bordering on black but for a subtlety that belies the muddy hue. Even a fairly aggressive pour fails to yield much in the way of head, with a somewhat frothy half finger of camel colored head topping the body and dissipating relatively quickly into an intermittent film across the surface of the liquid. Lacing is all but nonexistent--just a couple spots here and there on the side of the glass.

Smell (4.5) - Wow. Honestly, it makes me feel like I just stuck a cinnamon stick up my nose, but in the most positive possible way that one could have a cinnamon shoved up one's nose. Just a burst of cinnamon and dried pepper and a subtle suggestion of sweeter dark chocolate in the background. I also get hints of roasted malt that balance out the spice-forward aroma. I almost don't want to drink it for fear of being letdown in comparison to the fantastic smell.

Taste (4.5) - Well, I have to say that the taste holds up quite well in comparison to the intoxicating smell. Lots of cinnamon and spice come through initially, with a velvety undercurrent of baker's chocolate bittersweetness and some subtle roasted char. On the finish, there is a nice kick from the peppers--probably the most pepper-forward spiced stout I've had to date, but the cinnamon and chocolate do a fantastic job of blending and taking the edge off. I've had pepper beers with this much heat that just weren't drinkable. It just goes to show how much complementary ingredients can play a factor in the overall impression of a beer.

Mouthfeel (4.25) - I was a bit afraid that this beer wouldn't have that decadent viscosity that I love about this substyle of beer, and it certainly doesn't have the body of an imperial stout, for obvious reasons. But for a 7% stout, this one has plenty of meat. Medium-to-full bodied, with moderate to low carbonation. By way of comparison, it certainly has more body than a similar beer in Xocoveza, which clocks in at 8.1% abv. I think the hefty spice bill does some of the heavy lifting in preventing this one from feeling too thin. And it's light enough that it's a little easier to drink than the imperial spiced stouts.

Overall (4.25), just a fantastic beer from Copper Kettle; it's quite obvious why this beer won a gold medal in 2011 in the spiced stout category. It's amazing to me that with the seemingly recent surge in interest in this type of beer, that this one doesn't get more love/mention. Perhaps because it's a Colorado-only beer? I really have no idea. All I know is that I will definitely be trying to get more of it at the earliest opportunity.

3.66/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.24/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a dark brown/black. Smells of cinnamon, hot chocolate and french toast. Definitive cinnamon up front, roast malt, cocoa, light chili spice. Cinnamon left on the palate with a light chili heat on the throat. Medium/light body with medium carbonation. Very creative beer, excellent flavor but would have liked a bit more body. Only one of its kind I have tried and will definitely buy more.

3.4/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

I opened this bottle and it literally sprayed all over my kitchen ceiling, wall and floor. I have never seen anything like this before. Spice and plastic. Infected. Drain pour... then cleaning my entire kitchen.

I was so excited for this one. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement.

Do you like a bit of sugar, spice, and everything nice? Well Copper Kettle Brewing Company’s Mexican Chocolate Stout might just be the right beer for you. It pours black with the subtle aroma of chocolate and spices, and upon taking the first sip you’ll notice the chocolaty, smooth, velvety finish. Then the kick hits you, that wonderful hint of spice that isn’t too powerful, but lingers around on your taste buds for a good couple of seconds. Overall a great beer, especially with the winter season coming in. I imagine having this beer on a cold night, wrapped up in a blanket in front of a fire while roasting up some S’MORES. This beer definitely is a MUST try on my list of Stouts if you are a Stout person.

Infected. Acetone. Plastic burning. Nail polish.

I suppose if you love cinnamon you will like this beer. I love stouts and I had to pour this down the drain after two sips. Disgusting.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Cinnamon, cacoa nibs and chili pepper. You notice the spice much more after a couple sips. Smoky chocolate, subtle cinnamon and building spice.

2.6/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Shared with JLindros...wish I could say I trolled him, but, was expecting this to be good.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a dark black hue with a mocha head that faded to leave a thin blanket.

S - Aromas of yeast, floral, awful yeast. Lilacs....where's the chocolate? Where's the chili? Oxidized maybe...cardboard, chalky chocolate.

T - Taste is similar to the nose, good chili taste and heat, nice chocolate albeit cheap, faint nutty, faint coconut, rather mediocre and light cardboard.

M - Mouthfeel is not bad, smoother, nice heat, not bad.

O - Overall this beer was an epic letdown. The nose and taste were just awful. Ugh

Serving Type: Bottle