Mexican Chocolate Stout - Copper Kettle Brewing Company

Mexican Chocolate StoutMexican Chocolate Stout

Copper Kettle Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

2011 Gold Medal at the Great American Beer Festival in the Spice/Herb category.

(Beer added by: ArrogantB on 06-02-2011)
Reviews by BgThang:
4.75/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had hunahpu many times, and Mexican cake last year and this years. Ive also had abraxes too. this beer tops all of them except hunahpu. Huny still edges this out because huny has more body. This beer is no slouch. It's among the best chilie beers I have had. This I had at epic beer fest couple night ago in Denver. I took the trip down to the brewery today to pick a case of bottles up. The beer is rich, chocolaty, cinnamon, and peppery. All rolled up and delivered to your palate. Real complex and nothing short of amazin. It's hotter than all the beers I have listed, but not as hot as ghost face killah or ghost scorpion beer. Im from Texas were we love our peppers and spicy thing. This was right up my alley. WELL DONE COPPER KETTLE

Infected. Acetone. Plastic burning. Nail polish.

1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

I'll explain because its such a low score compared to others. Our bottle gushed when opening, had the intense aroma of burning plastic, and was quite painful to drink. It actually burned the back of my throat going down. Not sure what was going on with this bottle, but I'm sure this one doesn't represent this beer well. I will try another if I happen to get the chance.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

22 oz bottle. Pours dark brown black with a medium fizzy creamy brown head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet roast chocolate with chilis and lots of cinnamon spice.

The flavor is sweet chocolate malts with a little roast, lots of cinnamon and quite a bit of heat from the chili peppers. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit watery.

Overall, an interesting beer. Lots of cinnamon and chili heat - almost over the top, but I like it. Seemed a bit milder and better balanced on tap.

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Picked up a bomber in Boulder in late October 2013 and brought back to Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Poured into a little mini-snifter so that I can savor it.

A- Pours pitch black and comes out of the bottle thick and viscous. The head is minimal but forms into a beautiful dark khaki-color that complements the dark liquid well. The liquid itself is completely opaque.

S- All types of aroma here. Cinnamon, cocoa, chocolate, spicy chile, vanilla, and malty caramel and toffee.

T- The beer starts off tasting of vanilla, cinnamon and spicy chile and the chocolate and cocoa appear and linger alongside the burn from the chile. As I drink it, I’m very much reminded of the chocolates of Oaxaca.

M- This beer is wonderfully smooth and creamy and there is no alcohol presence whatsoever. The chile and cinnamon give it a different type of burn on the finish, but for a lover of spicy foods like myself, this is a treat.

O- An unforgettable beer and one I won’t easily forget or mistake for any other. I only regret not stocking up on a bunch of bottles of this.

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%

This beer was quite interesting. The beer poured a dark opaque with ecru head that left some lace. The scent had chocolate and whiskey. The taste was earthy with subtle hints of chocolate, oak and burbon. The mouthfeel was full in body with subtle carbonation. Overall the beer was good, but in no way I can drink alot of this....a sipping beer.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%