Mexican Chocolate Stout - Copper Kettle Brewing Company

Mexican Chocolate StoutMexican Chocolate Stout

Copper Kettle Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

2011 Gold Medal at the Great American Beer Festival in the Spice/Herb category.

(Beer added by: ArrogantB on 06-02-2011)
Reviews by spoony:
4.05/5  rDev +6%

From a 650 ml bottle (undated) into a snifter.

A-A slightly aggressive pour produces nearly two fingers of brown head that drops steadily to a cap and then to a collar. The brew is so dark brown that it is nearly black and opaque.

S-Chocolate and loads of of spices. Cinnamon mostly, but the chiles creep in, too. There is also some molasses in there, as well.

T-The taste is chocolatey and balanced up front with cinnamon and vanilla. Soon, however, the chiles kick in and leave a wake of destruction on my palate. The spice just overwhelms everything in its pace with authentic, warm, dry, roasted/charred chile flavor. There is a nice, long finish.

M-The feel is lighter, thinner, and more carbonated that I would have liked, but the lighter feel works OK with the spicy flavor.

O-At first I wasn't sold on this brew...but I had another sip...and another...and pretty soon I was on to my second glass. The chiles are pretty in your face and leave a long, spicy finish that some may find off-putting, but I liked the spicy mix of chocolate and chile. It provides a unique flavor profile that I have not tasted in other chile beers or other stouts. I don't know if it will suit every palate, but it suited my palate just fine.

Infected. Acetone. Plastic burning. Nail polish.

1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

I'll explain because its such a low score compared to others. Our bottle gushed when opening, had the intense aroma of burning plastic, and was quite painful to drink. It actually burned the back of my throat going down. Not sure what was going on with this bottle, but I'm sure this one doesn't represent this beer well. I will try another if I happen to get the chance.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

22 oz bottle. Pours dark brown black with a medium fizzy creamy brown head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet roast chocolate with chilis and lots of cinnamon spice.

The flavor is sweet chocolate malts with a little roast, lots of cinnamon and quite a bit of heat from the chili peppers. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit watery.

Overall, an interesting beer. Lots of cinnamon and chili heat - almost over the top, but I like it. Seemed a bit milder and better balanced on tap.

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Picked up a bomber in Boulder in late October 2013 and brought back to Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Poured into a little mini-snifter so that I can savor it.

A- Pours pitch black and comes out of the bottle thick and viscous. The head is minimal but forms into a beautiful dark khaki-color that complements the dark liquid well. The liquid itself is completely opaque.

S- All types of aroma here. Cinnamon, cocoa, chocolate, spicy chile, vanilla, and malty caramel and toffee.

T- The beer starts off tasting of vanilla, cinnamon and spicy chile and the chocolate and cocoa appear and linger alongside the burn from the chile. As I drink it, I’m very much reminded of the chocolates of Oaxaca.

M- This beer is wonderfully smooth and creamy and there is no alcohol presence whatsoever. The chile and cinnamon give it a different type of burn on the finish, but for a lover of spicy foods like myself, this is a treat.

O- An unforgettable beer and one I won’t easily forget or mistake for any other. I only regret not stocking up on a bunch of bottles of this.

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%

This beer was quite interesting. The beer poured a dark opaque with ecru head that left some lace. The scent had chocolate and whiskey. The taste was earthy with subtle hints of chocolate, oak and burbon. The mouthfeel was full in body with subtle carbonation. Overall the beer was good, but in no way I can drink alot of this....a sipping beer.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%