Mexican Chocolate Stout - Copper Kettle Brewing Company

Copper Kettle Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: ArrogantB on 06-02-2011

2011 Gold Medal at the Great American Beer Festival in the Spice/Herb category.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 188 | Reviews: 44
Reviews by spoony:
4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

From a 650 ml bottle (undated) into a snifter.

A-A slightly aggressive pour produces nearly two fingers of brown head that drops steadily to a cap and then to a collar. The brew is so dark brown that it is nearly black and opaque.

S-Chocolate and loads of of spices. Cinnamon mostly, but the chiles creep in, too. There is also some molasses in there, as well.

T-The taste is chocolatey and balanced up front with cinnamon and vanilla. Soon, however, the chiles kick in and leave a wake of destruction on my palate. The spice just overwhelms everything in its pace with authentic, warm, dry, roasted/charred chile flavor. There is a nice, long finish.

M-The feel is lighter, thinner, and more carbonated that I would have liked, but the lighter feel works OK with the spicy flavor.

O-At first I wasn't sold on this brew...but I had another sip...and another...and pretty soon I was on to my second glass. The chiles are pretty in your face and leave a long, spicy finish that some may find off-putting, but I liked the spicy mix of chocolate and chile. It provides a unique flavor profile that I have not tasted in other chile beers or other stouts. I don't know if it will suit every palate, but it suited my palate just fine.

Infected. Acetone. Plastic burning. Nail polish.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Picked up a bomber in Boulder in late October 2013 and brought back to Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Poured into a little mini-snifter so that I can savor it.

A- Pours pitch black and comes out of the bottle thick and viscous. The head is minimal but forms into a beautiful dark khaki-color that complements the dark liquid well. The liquid itself is completely opaque.

S- All types of aroma here. Cinnamon, cocoa, chocolate, spicy chile, vanilla, and malty caramel and toffee.

T- The beer starts off tasting of vanilla, cinnamon and spicy chile and the chocolate and cocoa appear and linger alongside the burn from the chile. As I drink it, I’m very much reminded of the chocolates of Oaxaca.

M- This beer is wonderfully smooth and creamy and there is no alcohol presence whatsoever. The chile and cinnamon give it a different type of burn on the finish, but for a lover of spicy foods like myself, this is a treat.

O- An unforgettable beer and one I won’t easily forget or mistake for any other. I only regret not stocking up on a bunch of bottles of this.

infected

1.5/5  rDev -60.8%

I'll explain because its such a low score compared to others. Our bottle gushed when opening, had the intense aroma of burning plastic, and was quite painful to drink. It actually burned the back of my throat going down. Not sure what was going on with this bottle, but I'm sure this one doesn't represent this beer well. I will try another if I happen to get the chance.

I opened this bottle and it literally sprayed all over my kitchen ceiling, wall and floor. I have never seen anything like this before. Spice and plastic. Infected. Drain pour... then cleaning my entire kitchen.

I was so excited for this one. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement.

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

22 oz bottle. Pours dark brown black with a medium fizzy creamy brown head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet roast chocolate with chilis and lots of cinnamon spice.

The flavor is sweet chocolate malts with a little roast, lots of cinnamon and quite a bit of heat from the chili peppers. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit watery.

Overall, an interesting beer. Lots of cinnamon and chili heat - almost over the top, but I like it. Seemed a bit milder and better balanced on tap.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

This beer was quite interesting. The beer poured a dark opaque with ecru head that left some lace. The scent had chocolate and whiskey. The taste was earthy with subtle hints of chocolate, oak and burbon. The mouthfeel was full in body with subtle carbonation. Overall the beer was good, but in no way I can drink alot of this....a sipping beer.

3.32/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This one was just OK for me - I didn't care for the spicy-ish flavor that built up in my mouth as I drank it. Flavor was kind of interesting but it didn't hit any great heights for me.

Do you like a bit of sugar, spice, and everything nice? Well Copper Kettle Brewing Company’s Mexican Chocolate Stout might just be the right beer for you. It pours black with the subtle aroma of chocolate and spices, and upon taking the first sip you’ll notice the chocolaty, smooth, velvety finish. Then the kick hits you, that wonderful hint of spice that isn’t too powerful, but lingers around on your taste buds for a good couple of seconds. Overall a great beer, especially with the winter season coming in. I imagine having this beer on a cold night, wrapped up in a blanket in front of a fire while roasting up some S’MORES. This beer definitely is a MUST try on my list of Stouts if you are a Stout person.

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look: Tan head dissipates quickly. Dark as all hell. barely any light gets through.

Smell: Roasty and baking spice. Maybe nutmeg, little bit of cinnamon. Hint of chocolate.

Taste: Mild Chili spice. The chocolate balances it out nicely. More baking spice. Much more cinnamon than on the nose. Chili certainly isn't overbearing.

Feel: Really great body for a Stout. Not much in the way of carbonation. The spice is slowly numbing my tongue. Not certain I will be able to enjoy a second glass.

Overall: Most interesting chili beer I've had in a while. Really well balanced but I was expecting more from the chocolate. I guess after the Chili burns the front of your tongue you stop really noticing any sweet malts this beer may offer (even starting to not notice the roasty bits as well). Probably only good for a couple sips. Don't buy the bomber unless you are sharing with a few other friends (probably a good rule with any chili beer anyway).

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Sampled this lovely number at Mountain Sun during Stout Month, haven't gotten over it yet. Perfect chocolate/stout balance, with a liveliness not usually found in chocolate stouts. Not too creamy, just dark, spicy, with bright chocolate notes and a warm, roasty bouquet.

3.09/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Thin, poor head, and over spiced. In the regular (non-tasting size) it is near impossible to finish. The spicing becomes stronger to the point of overpowering. Would not recommend in a large size.

This is not the recipe they opened with (in about 2011), and has lost all the original subtlety. The mouthfeel has improved since they changed the recipe.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours very little head but still leaves a light tan ring within the inside of the glass. The beer is a dark chocolate black that cannot be seen through. The beer has a strong smell of Mexican dark chocolate with hints of chili peppers in addition to other spices. The other spices are not as noticeable as the chili or chocolate but contain hints of cinnamon as well as a bit of cocoa that gets overshadowed by the Mexican chocolate. The taste is very similar to the smell. The Mexican dark chocolate dominates but does not overwhelm the palate. The cinnamon becomes more noticeable and the cocoa as well as a bit of hops linger in the aftertaste after the chilis are done. The beer is heavy bodied but with a much lighter feel. The beer has biting carbonation but the carbonation is not noticeable because of the chili burn. The chili burn is very good and well done. The burn is quick and satisfying. A very good beer and a must buy if you can get one.

2.13/5  rDev -44.4%

Too much cinnamon/spice for me

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a dark brown/black. Smells of cinnamon, hot chocolate and french toast. Definitive cinnamon up front, roast malt, cocoa, light chili spice. Cinnamon left on the palate with a light chili heat on the throat. Medium/light body with medium carbonation. Very creative beer, excellent flavor but would have liked a bit more body. Only one of its kind I have tried and will definitely buy more.

2.59/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to rudzud, well maybe not.

Nice creamy thick smooth 1/2 finger head that fades at a med pace, nice lacing, nice legs too, just about pitch black color.

Nose has a first punch of dusty dank shelf and raw yeast, then that fades quickly then yahoo choc milk, creamy fake choc nesquick style, little floral earthy thing, and wet cardboard, oxidation?, faint dried chili pepper in the background, and a bit of cinnamon.

Taste is a bit better, big hot pepper heat, tingly, cayenne or chili pepper heat. Then the fake milk choc, more Yahoo nesquick style, creamy but meh. Then back to yeast, bad yeast flavor and mild wet cardboard and dank shelf maybe oxidation. Plenty of cinnamon too, little apple cinnamon spice. Finish is more Yahoo fake choc milk and fair heat, little more cardboard and yeast.

Mouth is med bod, nice lingering heat, decent carb.

Overall horrible!

4.36/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a bottle from copper kettle, poured into new belgium globe.

Pours black, super black, with little head even with an aggressive pour. I'd like to have seen a creamy head on this one but oh well. 1/4 inch head retreats back to a ring for the duration. Little lacing. Smells like cinnamon and chocolate, not getting chiles on the nose, but its a wonderful aroma, very inviting. Super complex taste. First taste starts with cinnamon, followed by chocolate and sweet malts, rounded out by chile. Wow, yeah, there's the chile. I could drink this beer for dessert every night of the week. I love traditional mexican food, and this is a great blend of traditional mexican flavors and american craft beer. If you're not into spicy, the chile could easily overpower your pallate here, but I loved it. I'll be getting more of this for sure.

4.4/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a 22 oz brown bottle with no dating that I could discern on the label. That said, after opening it, I'm pretty sure it's fresh, based on the explosion of aroma and flavor that came billowing out of the bottle. Poured into a large New Belgium tulip glass.

Appearance (4.0) - Pours a dark bistre brown, reminiscent of wet tree bark and bordering on black but for a subtlety that belies the muddy hue. Even a fairly aggressive pour fails to yield much in the way of head, with a somewhat frothy half finger of camel colored head topping the body and dissipating relatively quickly into an intermittent film across the surface of the liquid. Lacing is all but nonexistent--just a couple spots here and there on the side of the glass.

Smell (4.5) - Wow. Honestly, it makes me feel like I just stuck a cinnamon stick up my nose, but in the most positive possible way that one could have a cinnamon shoved up one's nose. Just a burst of cinnamon and dried pepper and a subtle suggestion of sweeter dark chocolate in the background. I also get hints of roasted malt that balance out the spice-forward aroma. I almost don't want to drink it for fear of being letdown in comparison to the fantastic smell.

Taste (4.5) - Well, I have to say that the taste holds up quite well in comparison to the intoxicating smell. Lots of cinnamon and spice come through initially, with a velvety undercurrent of baker's chocolate bittersweetness and some subtle roasted char. On the finish, there is a nice kick from the peppers--probably the most pepper-forward spiced stout I've had to date, but the cinnamon and chocolate do a fantastic job of blending and taking the edge off. I've had pepper beers with this much heat that just weren't drinkable. It just goes to show how much complementary ingredients can play a factor in the overall impression of a beer.

Mouthfeel (4.25) - I was a bit afraid that this beer wouldn't have that decadent viscosity that I love about this substyle of beer, and it certainly doesn't have the body of an imperial stout, for obvious reasons. But for a 7% stout, this one has plenty of meat. Medium-to-full bodied, with moderate to low carbonation. By way of comparison, it certainly has more body than a similar beer in Xocoveza, which clocks in at 8.1% abv. I think the hefty spice bill does some of the heavy lifting in preventing this one from feeling too thin. And it's light enough that it's a little easier to drink than the imperial spiced stouts.

Overall (4.25), just a fantastic beer from Copper Kettle; it's quite obvious why this beer won a gold medal in 2011 in the spiced stout category. It's amazing to me that with the seemingly recent surge in interest in this type of beer, that this one doesn't get more love/mention. Perhaps because it's a Colorado-only beer? I really have no idea. All I know is that I will definitely be trying to get more of it at the earliest opportunity.

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

This is an awesome beer. Pours out dark with little head into a tulip style glass. Big hit of cinnamon up front, blending with the chocolate in the mix, along with the heady deep stout flavor. Ends smooth, and a nice little chili afterkick follows when one stops drinking it. Absolutely fantastic, though it is a bit stronger on the cinnamon than I would have liked. Am told the next batch is being adjusted with less cinnamon, more chocolate, which should allow the chili to shine through more. I plan on being back and will add an "EDIT" to the review, but for now...it is awesome and complex....definitely a "must try" if you find yourself in the Denver area.

I suppose if you love cinnamon you will like this beer. I love stouts and I had to pour this down the drain after two sips. Disgusting.

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to beatenbyjacks for this one. Poured cold from the bottle a deep, dark, thick milk chocolate black to a surly darkness 10oz goblet with a 2 and a 1/2 infer foamy tan head with nice retention, leaving a sheet of lace.

Aroma of spicy chilis, cacao and hints of cumin.

Medium bodied, big carbonation, super spicy mole poblano all over the palate, burnt cinnamon, hot chilis, the spicy doesn't fade. This beer is a closer.

Very interesting brew, my first go at copper kettle.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

7% ABV confirmed. 50 IBUs. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with intricate interesting label and unbranded silver pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local CO bottle shop and served into an Odell stem-tulip in me friend's gaff in high altitude Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of nice khaki colour. Very good creaminess. Nice thickness. Even consistency. Head retention is pretty good - about 5 minutes. Little lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a dark opaque solid black. No yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance for the style. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Well integrated subtle chili peppers, overt cinnamon, fantastic cocoa nibs, dark malts, chocolate malts, cream, and chocolate. Not too sweet.

A very appealing aroma of mild to moderate strength.

No hop character, yeast, or alcohol is detectable. I'm really looking forward to trying this.

T: Dark malts, chocolate malts, cream, really well integrated yet subtle chili peppers, heavy cinnamon, and chocolate. The chili heat doesn't emerge until the climax, and remains through the aftertaste, driving up the duration of flavour substantially. Extremely well balanced. The build is quite cohesive - almost gestalt. Above average depth of flavour. Average intensity of flavour.

No hop character or yeast character is detectable.

Constructively, some unrefined sugars (pimoncillo for example) might supplement the Mexican aspect of the premise.

Mf: I love the softness and creaminess. Smooth and wet, with a perfect amount of coarseness to coax out the full potential of the flavours. A biteen overcarbonated. Great body and thickness. It does have a bit too much weight on the palate, but overall the presence is comforting and good. It's an approachable mouthfeel.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, or rough.

Dr: A surprisingly tasty brew from the cats over at Copper Kettle, and extremely drinkable for the ABV - which is well hidden. This lives up to its reputation. Between this and Snowed In, Copper Kettle is proving to be one of the more impressive startup breweries in the state. I'm going to make a concerted effort to try more of their beers. This is a damn fine beer I intend to send to trade partners. Really an impressive beer across the board - and unique to boot. The chili heat is just right. They executed the premise incredibly well. It's not perfect, but hot damn is it tasty.

B+

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at the brewery. Poured a darker brown, nearly black with a small lingering brown head. On the nose, I got dark chocolate, cinnamon, some vanilla, and a tough of chilies. Taste was dark chocolate, cinnamon,a touch of vanilla, with a nice warming finish from the chillies. Definitely a nice beer; will have this again next time I'm down in South Denver.

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

Seriously black color served in the tulip glass. Nice lacing. Really strong scent of cinnamon, and hugely fragrant in the nose. One mouthful and you're in for a surprise. Quite peppery hot with intense flavors. Definitely tastes like Mexican hot chocolate but with a level of chile heat I've never encountered in a beer. Great dried dark red chile flavor, ancho and guajillo according to the brewer.

The heat does mellow out after a while, but it's a rough ride for the throat. Still, it's by far the most flavorful chile beer I've had, and if you don't mind cinnamon it is a must-try just for the experience.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »