Mexican Chocolate Stout - Copper Kettle Brewing Company

Copper Kettle Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: ArrogantB on 06-02-2011

2011 Gold Medal at the Great American Beer Festival in the Spice/Herb category.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

I opened this bottle and it literally sprayed all over my kitchen ceiling, wall and floor. I have never seen anything like this before. Spice and plastic. Infected. Drain pour... then cleaning my entire kitchen.

I was so excited for this one. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement. (292 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -60.9%

I'll explain because its such a low score compared to others. Our bottle gushed when opening, had the intense aroma of burning plastic, and was quite painful to drink. It actually burned the back of my throat going down. Not sure what was going on with this bottle, but I'm sure this one doesn't represent this beer well. I will try another if I happen to get the chance. (371 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -35.2%

I will start this out by saying i do love me a spicy stout. and i love all the new and great ones coming out. give me a mexican cake, hunah, prairie bomb, abraxas any day of the week. I wasn't thinking this would be in that same category, but i thought it would hold it's own.

It looked great, rich, dark and full. Smelled.. well HOT and cinnamon, and not the good kind of cinnamon... it was all downhill from there. did this at a tasting last night w/8 other ppl and every single one of us except for 1 guy dumped this. (he was RAVING about it btw). Just overpowering and overwhelming cinnamon and spice. it was so strong we all had to switch glasses for our next beer because we couldnt wash the smell out.

if it comes my way again, i'll pass and so should you (764 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to rudzud, well maybe not.

Nice creamy thick smooth 1/2 finger head that fades at a med pace, nice lacing, nice legs too, just about pitch black color.

Nose has a first punch of dusty dank shelf and raw yeast, then that fades quickly then yahoo choc milk, creamy fake choc nesquick style, little floral earthy thing, and wet cardboard, oxidation?, faint dried chili pepper in the background, and a bit of cinnamon.

Taste is a bit better, big hot pepper heat, tingly, cayenne or chili pepper heat. Then the fake milk choc, more Yahoo nesquick style, creamy but meh. Then back to yeast, bad yeast flavor and mild wet cardboard and dank shelf maybe oxidation. Plenty of cinnamon too, little apple cinnamon spice. Finish is more Yahoo fake choc milk and fair heat, little more cardboard and yeast.

Mouth is med bod, nice lingering heat, decent carb.

Overall horrible! (879 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Shared with JLindros...wish I could say I trolled him, but, was expecting this to be good.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a dark black hue with a mocha head that faded to leave a thin blanket.

S - Aromas of yeast, floral, awful yeast. Lilacs....where's the chocolate? Where's the chili? Oxidized maybe...cardboard, chalky chocolate.

T - Taste is similar to the nose, good chili taste and heat, nice chocolate albeit cheap, faint nutty, faint coconut, rather mediocre and light cardboard.

M - Mouthfeel is not bad, smoother, nice heat, not bad.

O - Overall this beer was an epic letdown. The nose and taste were just awful. Ugh

Serving Type: Bottle (665 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

Snappy caramel head rises as falls almost just as fast. Black brew is thin and viscous.

Tons of cinnamon, heavy pepper aroma, milky chocolate

A nearly amazing complexity of deep, dark spice. Spicy, roasty, dark chocolate on the back end, crisp light carbonation, missing much sweetness with a overwhelming amount of cinnamon. Thin, watery, hot, awkward aftertaste.

This is one bizarrely unique brew. A very slow drinker. Difficult to drink and rate. It's a great pepper brew, but a poor stout. I don't know how I feel about MCS... $12/22oz (544 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Thin, poor head, and over spiced. In the regular (non-tasting size) it is near impossible to finish. The spicing becomes stronger to the point of overpowering. Would not recommend in a large size.

This is not the recipe they opened with (in about 2011), and has lost all the original subtlety. The mouthfeel has improved since they changed the recipe. (352 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This one was just OK for me - I didn't care for the spicy-ish flavor that built up in my mouth as I drank it. Flavor was kind of interesting but it didn't hit any great heights for me. (185 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

This is a really small brewery randomly located in an office park, but they put out some good beer. They've been around for a few years now so they obviously are doing something right. Mexican Chocolate Stout is their bestseller, and they've started bottling it for sale outside of the tap room. It's a little too spicy for me, but I don't go for hot stuff in general, so make of that what you will. The chocolate got overshadowed by the spice, so if they balanced this one just a little bit better, I'd be a regular consumer. I'd go back and try other beers there though. (577 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look: Tan head dissipates quickly. Dark as all hell. barely any light gets through.

Smell: Roasty and baking spice. Maybe nutmeg, little bit of cinnamon. Hint of chocolate.

Taste: Mild Chili spice. The chocolate balances it out nicely. More baking spice. Much more cinnamon than on the nose. Chili certainly isn't overbearing.

Feel: Really great body for a Stout. Not much in the way of carbonation. The spice is slowly numbing my tongue. Not certain I will be able to enjoy a second glass.

Overall: Most interesting chili beer I've had in a while. Really well balanced but I was expecting more from the chocolate. I guess after the Chili burns the front of your tongue you stop really noticing any sweet malts this beer may offer (even starting to not notice the roasty bits as well). Probably only good for a couple sips. Don't buy the bomber unless you are sharing with a few other friends (probably a good rule with any chili beer anyway). (947 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

22 oz bottle. Pours dark brown black with a medium fizzy creamy brown head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet roast chocolate with chilis and lots of cinnamon spice.

The flavor is sweet chocolate malts with a little roast, lots of cinnamon and quite a bit of heat from the chili peppers. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit watery.

Overall, an interesting beer. Lots of cinnamon and chili heat - almost over the top, but I like it. Seemed a bit milder and better balanced on tap. (511 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured a deep, dark brown color with a thin, quickly dissipating tan head. Heady aroma of spices and cinnamon along with a minty chocolate tone. Hot chili heat builds quickly on the first sip, overshadowing a rather light, milky chocolate flavor. Smooth, medium body.

Definitely a chili beer wrapped in a smooth, milk stout body. Good for what it is but most likely will be an acquired taste for many folks. (408 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.5%

Seriously black color served in the tulip glass. Nice lacing. Really strong scent of cinnamon, and hugely fragrant in the nose. One mouthful and you're in for a surprise. Quite peppery hot with intense flavors. Definitely tastes like Mexican hot chocolate but with a level of chile heat I've never encountered in a beer. Great dried dark red chile flavor, ancho and guajillo according to the brewer.

The heat does mellow out after a while, but it's a rough ride for the throat. Still, it's by far the most flavorful chile beer I've had, and if you don't mind cinnamon it is a must-try just for the experience. (611 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer was quite interesting. The beer poured a dark opaque with ecru head that left some lace. The scent had chocolate and whiskey. The taste was earthy with subtle hints of chocolate, oak and burbon. The mouthfeel was full in body with subtle carbonation. Overall the beer was good, but in no way I can drink alot of this....a sipping beer. (345 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

7% ABV confirmed. 50 IBUs. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with intricate interesting label and unbranded silver pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local CO bottle shop and served into an Odell stem-tulip in me friend's gaff in high altitude Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the brewery.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide head of nice khaki colour. Very good creaminess. Nice thickness. Even consistency. Head retention is pretty good - about 5 minutes. Little lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a dark opaque solid black. No yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it's an appealing appearance for the style. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Well integrated subtle chili peppers, overt cinnamon, fantastic cocoa nibs, dark malts, chocolate malts, cream, and chocolate. Not too sweet.

A very appealing aroma of mild to moderate strength.

No hop character, yeast, or alcohol is detectable. I'm really looking forward to trying this.

T: Dark malts, chocolate malts, cream, really well integrated yet subtle chili peppers, heavy cinnamon, and chocolate. The chili heat doesn't emerge until the climax, and remains through the aftertaste, driving up the duration of flavour substantially. Extremely well balanced. The build is quite cohesive - almost gestalt. Above average depth of flavour. Average intensity of flavour.

No hop character or yeast character is detectable.

Constructively, some unrefined sugars (pimoncillo for example) might supplement the Mexican aspect of the premise.

Mf: I love the softness and creaminess. Smooth and wet, with a perfect amount of coarseness to coax out the full potential of the flavours. A biteen overcarbonated. Great body and thickness. It does have a bit too much weight on the palate, but overall the presence is comforting and good. It's an approachable mouthfeel.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, or rough.

Dr: A surprisingly tasty brew from the cats over at Copper Kettle, and extremely drinkable for the ABV - which is well hidden. This lives up to its reputation. Between this and Snowed In, Copper Kettle is proving to be one of the more impressive startup breweries in the state. I'm going to make a concerted effort to try more of their beers. This is a damn fine beer I intend to send to trade partners. Really an impressive beer across the board - and unique to boot. The chili heat is just right. They executed the premise incredibly well. It's not perfect, but hot damn is it tasty.

B+ (2,755 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

A-Almost black in color with a thin layer of tan head

S-chocolate, cinnamon, and pepper spice

T-similar to the taste with a milk chocolate backbone and spicy chili peppers with cinnamon

M-medium body, light to medium carbonation, spicy chili aftertaste

Overall one of the spicier chili beers I have had, but I like it! (322 characters)

On tap at Copper Kettle poured a clear dark reddish brown nearly black with a small lingering brown head. Aromas of dark chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla, light carmel and a hint of chilies. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and smooth with a warming finish. Flavors of cinnamon, dark chocolate, light vanilla and a hint of chilies with a smooth warming lingering cinnamonb finish. (371 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Half inch mocha head on a black body. Some lacing clings to the glass, cap and collar throughout.

Subdued chili on the nose. Another whiff yields the chocolate and spices, cinnamon?

Cinnamon roastiness turns to chili pepper heat over the course of each sip. Whoa, burns the throat going down. Alcohol is hard to detect with everything going on but would guess at about 8.5%abv

Mouthfeel is medium/medium-thin for the style, carbonation is spot on and compliments the overall beer very well.

This one was a trip. The chili/cinnamon heat is high on the burny scale, a welcome surprise for this guy. Thanks for this kojevergas! (628 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +6%

From a 650 ml bottle (undated) into a snifter.

A-A slightly aggressive pour produces nearly two fingers of brown head that drops steadily to a cap and then to a collar. The brew is so dark brown that it is nearly black and opaque.

S-Chocolate and loads of of spices. Cinnamon mostly, but the chiles creep in, too. There is also some molasses in there, as well.

T-The taste is chocolatey and balanced up front with cinnamon and vanilla. Soon, however, the chiles kick in and leave a wake of destruction on my palate. The spice just overwhelms everything in its pace with authentic, warm, dry, roasted/charred chile flavor. There is a nice, long finish.

M-The feel is lighter, thinner, and more carbonated that I would have liked, but the lighter feel works OK with the spicy flavor.

O-At first I wasn't sold on this brew...but I had another sip...and another...and pretty soon I was on to my second glass. The chiles are pretty in your face and leave a long, spicy finish that some may find off-putting, but I liked the spicy mix of chocolate and chile. It provides a unique flavor profile that I have not tasted in other chile beers or other stouts. I don't know if it will suit every palate, but it suited my palate just fine. (1,233 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap at the Copper Kettle, this was quite enjoyable. Dark black as a stout should be with a decent head. Smell is heavy cinnamon but not at all cloying. The flavor is cinnamon and has a nice bit of heat on the finish. Overall I liked this more than I thought I would and while I could only drink one at a time I would definitely order this again. Good stuff. (360 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +7.8%

there is really no beer like this one in the world. it pours an unassuming inky black color with a mocha colored head only a half inch high, fading quickly. that is where the average features end. the smell is insane, notes of spicy cinnamon bombard the nose, followed by notes of burnt malt, dark chocolate, smoke, and ancho chili. its almost sweet on the nose with all the cinnamon, very breakfasty, familiar somehow. the flavor is a total trip. it starts off with the cinnamon, moves into a very dark roasty coffee and dark cocoa flavor, before the 3 pepper spice sets in. it isnt hot in the traditional sense, but it is warming for sure. there is so much flavor packed into this beer. very hard to describe because there is no equal that i am aware of. it has a wild feel to it too, not totally pleasant for everyone i dont think, but it worked wonders for me. sweet and thick in texture, bitter for a short time, with a chili pepper heat that is mild but ever present, it sits in the upper back of the throat for some time, not burning, but reminding. not much carbonation going on, but it doesnt need it. overall this is one hell of a unique brew, and it should put copper kettle on the beer map. sensational stuff. (1,221 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +7.8%

Beer buddy of mine has been raving about this place. Figured it was about time to check it out! He specifically mentioned this beer so I ordered a pint. Sounded interesting, a beer with chili, cinnamon, and chocolate.

The beer arrived in a pint glass. Totally black in color even when held to the light the edges are still black. Decent 1 finger head with good retention and solid lacing throughout.
The aroma is dominated by chocolate and cinnamon, big time!
The flavor is quite complex. At first you get the chocolate, but not sweet chocolate, more bitter. The chocolate is followed by the cinnamon and malty sweetness. The heat of the chili pepper comes gushing through right after the cinnamon and really controls the palette. It's quite well crafted though really well balanced. The beer finishes with a lingering cinnamon pepper heat on the tongue. Hides the alcohol quite with with so much going on.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. I would happily order again and recommend to friends. Very unique and tasty. (1,017 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%

Been wanting to try this since they first opened. It's a chocolate stout using semisweet chocolate, cinnamon, and chili peppers.
Arrives a deep black - not much light making it through this one! The head's well sustained and it laces as you work your way through it.
The nose is big on cinnamon and chocolate.
The taste comes in 3 waves. Up front it's a mild chocolate flavor that isn't too sweet, but is tasty and well defined. In the middle there's a huge wave of sweetness and cinnamon. The finish ends with a bit more cinnamon, but then a decent amount of heat and some actual chili flavor. There's a lot going on from three different directions, but it works well!
I had 2 of these and had I not been driving I probably would've kept getting more. It's really wonderful and worth going to the CK for by itself.
A unique treat that really shows what they're capable of.

EDIT: Had this again a few days later and the cinnamon had mellowed a hair and the pepper flavor was a little enhanced. I don't think the beer is any better or worse (which is a good thing) but it's just worth noting.
I've since gone back on many, many more occasions...I can't get enough of it. The cinnamon has definitely been dialed back a tiny bit and the chocolate comes out more. My rating numbers are spot on, but I really find this is so interesting that you'll crave it...or maybe hate it The old "drinkability" rating would've been off the charts for me. (1,439 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to beatenbyjacks for this one. Poured cold from the bottle a deep, dark, thick milk chocolate black to a surly darkness 10oz goblet with a 2 and a 1/2 infer foamy tan head with nice retention, leaving a sheet of lace.

Aroma of spicy chilis, cacao and hints of cumin.

Medium bodied, big carbonation, super spicy mole poblano all over the palate, burnt cinnamon, hot chilis, the spicy doesn't fade. This beer is a closer.

Very interesting brew, my first go at copper kettle. (486 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

On tap at the brewery. Poured a darker brown, nearly black with a small lingering brown head. On the nose, I got dark chocolate, cinnamon, some vanilla, and a tough of chilies. Taste was dark chocolate, cinnamon,a touch of vanilla, with a nice warming finish from the chillies. Definitely a nice beer; will have this again next time I'm down in South Denver. (358 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast