5 Vulture - 5 Rabbit Cerveceria

5 Vulture5 Vulture

5 Rabbit Cerveceria visit their website
Illinois, United States

Chile Beer |  6.40% ABV

5 Vulture is a deep ambered-colored ale with complex caramel aromas with toasted sugar notes and a long, elegant spicy finish. Roasted ancho chile is used to add depth and complexity, without adding heat or strong chile flavors.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 05-05-2011)

rypkr, Jun 21, 2013

Angryzen, Oct 06, 2012

harrylee773, Sep 03, 2012

bradleyjay34, Jun 15, 2012

Soma474, Sep 03, 2012
1.8/5  rDev -48.3%

Deep ruby caramel colored ale with a big khaki tan head, fine even layered lacing, I'm scared because of the diacetyle notes already detected. Again as I popped the cap the beer comes gushing out so you better pour quickly. Aroma has dark fruit and band aid notes with hints of dark chocolate roasted malt qualities. Flavor is a cluster fuck of diacetyl, dark caramel roasted malts and supposed chili additions. Either way it's a cluster fuck of a beer that I do not enjoy and will not find a place for in my DBF. Flavor hits me so hard with diacetyl off flavors that I want to retire from beer. The actual flavor is a muddled mess of bitter chemical astringency band aids and alcohol even though it's only 6.4% abv. Look I don't have all the answers but I know beer and this is not a good variation of something I love. Mouthfeel is unbearable pretty much the most horrific beer I've come across in recent times, band aid/chemical bitterness simply kills the beer and I'm not getting any heat from a supposed chili beer. Overall staty the fuck away from this brewer.

WVbeergeek, Apr 22, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -39.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a very hazy, murky brown color that's similar to iced tea. There's virtually no head, decent lacing and retention. The aromas are sweet and full of caramel malts. It kind of smells like a sugar cookie. I can also pick up some vanilla, toffee, and butterscotch. Diacetyl seems very present.The peppers aren't noticeable in the nose. The flavor is pretty bland. More caramel and butterscotch, with a touch of cocoa. There's some toffee in the mix as well. The peppers are extremely subtle and basically non-existent. I don't think I would've known this was a chile beer. It finishes with a touch of heat, but it leaves you wanting more spice. Diacetyl seems to takeover the flavors as well. It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied and has very active carbonation. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

This beer isn't too exciting for me. I wouldn't seek it out again. But if you're a brown ale fan, give it a shot. I still appreciate a brewery that tries different things.

BB1313, Oct 09, 2012
2.41/5  rDev -30.7%

A: Black. Opaque. Looks like cola. One finger head fades quickly.

S: Chile is present here. Thick malty smell.

T: Goes down smooth, light on the pallet with a smooth malty finish. Then... It hits you. The aftertaste. Yuck! It tastes like pizza goldfish crackers.

M: Decent mouth feel. Carbonation isn't an issue here but the aftertaste kills this beer.

O: This was my first chili beer and I hope to God it's my last chili beer.

Ryan_Graham, Jul 27, 2013

TikiD, Mar 08, 2012

Dactrius, Jun 21, 2014

Michael914, Jul 20, 2014
2.65/5  rDev -23.9%

Reviewed from notes; originally 6/3/11.

A-Served in a tulip with a dark burgundy with a finger of light brown head.

S-I;m getting notes of cocoa and caramel predominantly with maybe a hint of some chile.

T-Roasted and chocolate malt notes with bit of chile pepper on the finish.

M-A little thin in the mouth with moderate carbonation and a prickly, dry feel.

D-Not a bad beer by any means, but I wish the chile was a little more pronounced in this beer; nothing really stood out while drinking this one.

samie85, Jun 19, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -23.9%

12 oz. bottle into a Perfect Pint. No dates, apparently.

A: A clear, bock-like rusty brown body topped by a tan, cloud-like head with mild retention. A bit of carbonation up through the body, but not much. Not as "dark" as I expected, but I've never had a Oaxacan-style dark before.

S: Smell is mild, even dull. I don't get much chile at all, just some worn out hops and some musty malt. Meh.

T: Taste is equally meh up front. Thin malt at the beginning, with muddled hop bitterness throughout, until the ancho hits. Noticeable, but not strong, and not hot (unless you're really spice-averse). That feature is well executed. I just wish the rest of the beer was equally inspired.

M: A bit thin, but I suppose the carbonation suits the chile. Insipid.

O: For a commercial example of a chile beer, this might be worth it in a mix-six. Otherwise, I'd pass.

wschmit, Jan 31, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -23%

Appearance: Pours a deep mahogany/amber…dark and dense, not overly transparent…off white head formed and thinned to a nice layer covering the top…it’s got a bit of Belgian yeast life, mildly, but it’s there…it does take the look of a flat beer after about 15 minutes…(3/5)

Smell: Tons of dark fruit sweetness with almost a holiday ale aroma…dark cherry, fig, raisin, malts, earthiness, chocolate, caramel, spices…it’s got a nice smell though it’s not overly aromatic…(3.5/5)

Taste: Classic amber ale up front, sweet/dark/roasted malt flavor, pretty average…but what happens next is what makes this ale different…there is a rush of chili pepper that starts from the back of the throat and touches the outside of my tongue…it does add some unique flavor, but it’s really only trying to improve an average amber beer as it is…definitely warms the belly with each sip…(2.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, tons of carbonation…fluffs up bringing more chili spice to the palate, really setting things on fire…ends sweet and finishes spicy medium…(3/5)

Overall: The more I drink, the warmer my belly gets…it’s a different take on an amber ale, but nothing that I hope catches on…I definitely couldn’t drink more than one of these in a sitting as my gut would ulcer I think…I’m not even sure I’m gonna finish the one I have now…it’s interesting but not worth your precious drinking time…(2/5)

SerialHiker, Feb 10, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -21%

Niners49, Feb 22, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -21%

DuffDaddy, Oct 02, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours a clean ruby amber, with a thick, luxurious head. Nice but clumsy lace, if that makes any sense.

Nose is burnt sugars -- caramel and toffee. Unusual and curious.

Taste is toasted, burnt sugar up front, to be followed by a definite hint of heat at the back of the palate, no doubt due to the ancho chiles here. Still, 5 Vulture seems off balance, with far too much weird sweetness. I noticed my bottle was contract-brewed by Minhas Craft Brewery, and this bottle echoes that brewery's propensity for off-balanced, artificial-tasting, overly malted ales.

I'd try this one again now that the brewery itself is up and running, but trust not the Minhas contract-brewed version.

secondtooth, May 08, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish dark amber with a finger of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Mild malt, mostly bready with just a touch of sweetness.

Taste: This is a fairly bland beer overall. Some malt with a fruity note. The finish does have a touch of heat to it.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a lot of tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I was very happy to get to try a chili beer from a brewery I hadn't heard of before. While I wasn't hugely impressed, it wasn't a bad beer, just a tad boring.

oline73, Feb 10, 2012