5 Vulture - 5 Rabbit Cerveceria

5 Rabbit Cerveceria visit their website
Illinois, United States

Chile Beer |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 05-05-2011

5 Vulture is a deep ambered-colored ale with complex caramel aromas with toasted sugar notes and a long, elegant spicy finish. Roasted ancho chile is used to add depth and complexity, without adding heat or strong chile flavors.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.91/5  rDev -45.7%

Deep ruby caramel colored ale with a big khaki tan head, fine even layered lacing, I'm scared because of the diacetyle notes already detected. Again as I popped the cap the beer comes gushing out so you better pour quickly. Aroma has dark fruit and band aid notes with hints of dark chocolate roasted malt qualities. Flavor is a cluster fuck of diacetyl, dark caramel roasted malts and supposed chili additions. Either way it's a cluster fuck of a beer that I do not enjoy and will not find a place for in my DBF. Flavor hits me so hard with diacetyl off flavors that I want to retire from beer. The actual flavor is a muddled mess of bitter chemical astringency band aids and alcohol even though it's only 6.4% abv. Look I don't have all the answers but I know beer and this is not a good variation of something I love. Mouthfeel is unbearable pretty much the most horrific beer I've come across in recent times, band aid/chemical bitterness simply kills the beer and I'm not getting any heat from a supposed chili beer. Overall staty the fuck away from this brewer. (1,067 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -31.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a very hazy, murky brown color that's similar to iced tea. There's virtually no head, decent lacing and retention. The aromas are sweet and full of caramel malts. It kind of smells like a sugar cookie. I can also pick up some vanilla, toffee, and butterscotch. Diacetyl seems very present.The peppers aren't noticeable in the nose. The flavor is pretty bland. More caramel and butterscotch, with a touch of cocoa. There's some toffee in the mix as well. The peppers are extremely subtle and basically non-existent. I don't think I would've known this was a chile beer. It finishes with a touch of heat, but it leaves you wanting more spice. Diacetyl seems to takeover the flavors as well. It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied and has very active carbonation. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

This beer isn't too exciting for me. I wouldn't seek it out again. But if you're a brown ale fan, give it a shot. I still appreciate a brewery that tries different things. (1,005 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A: Black. Opaque. Looks like cola. One finger head fades quickly.

S: Chile is present here. Thick malty smell.

T: Goes down smooth, light on the pallet with a smooth malty finish. Then... It hits you. The aftertaste. Yuck! It tastes like pizza goldfish crackers.

M: Decent mouth feel. Carbonation isn't an issue here but the aftertaste kills this beer.

O: This was my first chili beer and I hope to God it's my last chili beer. (434 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -25.9%

12 oz. bottle into a Perfect Pint. No dates, apparently.

A: A clear, bock-like rusty brown body topped by a tan, cloud-like head with mild retention. A bit of carbonation up through the body, but not much. Not as "dark" as I expected, but I've never had a Oaxacan-style dark before.

S: Smell is mild, even dull. I don't get much chile at all, just some worn out hops and some musty malt. Meh.

T: Taste is equally meh up front. Thin malt at the beginning, with muddled hop bitterness throughout, until the ancho hits. Noticeable, but not strong, and not hot (unless you're really spice-averse). That feature is well executed. I just wish the rest of the beer was equally inspired.

M: A bit thin, but I suppose the carbonation suits the chile. Insipid.

O: For a commercial example of a chile beer, this might be worth it in a mix-six. Otherwise, I'd pass. (863 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes; originally 6/3/11.

A-Served in a tulip with a dark burgundy with a finger of light brown head.

S-I;m getting notes of cocoa and caramel predominantly with maybe a hint of some chile.

T-Roasted and chocolate malt notes with bit of chile pepper on the finish.

M-A little thin in the mouth with moderate carbonation and a prickly, dry feel.

D-Not a bad beer by any means, but I wish the chile was a little more pronounced in this beer; nothing really stood out while drinking this one. (508 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance: Pours a deep mahogany/amber…dark and dense, not overly transparent…off white head formed and thinned to a nice layer covering the top…it’s got a bit of Belgian yeast life, mildly, but it’s there…it does take the look of a flat beer after about 15 minutes…(3/5)

Smell: Tons of dark fruit sweetness with almost a holiday ale aroma…dark cherry, fig, raisin, malts, earthiness, chocolate, caramel, spices…it’s got a nice smell though it’s not overly aromatic…(3.5/5)

Taste: Classic amber ale up front, sweet/dark/roasted malt flavor, pretty average…but what happens next is what makes this ale different…there is a rush of chili pepper that starts from the back of the throat and touches the outside of my tongue…it does add some unique flavor, but it’s really only trying to improve an average amber beer as it is…definitely warms the belly with each sip…(2.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, tons of carbonation…fluffs up bringing more chili spice to the palate, really setting things on fire…ends sweet and finishes spicy medium…(3/5)

Overall: The more I drink, the warmer my belly gets…it’s a different take on an amber ale, but nothing that I hope catches on…I definitely couldn’t drink more than one of these in a sitting as my gut would ulcer I think…I’m not even sure I’m gonna finish the one I have now…it’s interesting but not worth your precious drinking time…(2/5) (1,453 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clean ruby amber, with a thick, luxurious head. Nice but clumsy lace, if that makes any sense.

Nose is burnt sugars -- caramel and toffee. Unusual and curious.

Taste is toasted, burnt sugar up front, to be followed by a definite hint of heat at the back of the palate, no doubt due to the ancho chiles here. Still, 5 Vulture seems off balance, with far too much weird sweetness. I noticed my bottle was contract-brewed by Minhas Craft Brewery, and this bottle echoes that brewery's propensity for off-balanced, artificial-tasting, overly malted ales.

I'd try this one again now that the brewery itself is up and running, but trust not the Minhas contract-brewed version. (682 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish dark amber with a finger of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Mild malt, mostly bready with just a touch of sweetness.

Taste: This is a fairly bland beer overall. Some malt with a fruity note. The finish does have a touch of heat to it.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a lot of tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I was very happy to get to try a chili beer from a brewery I hadn't heard of before. While I wasn't hugely impressed, it wasn't a bad beer, just a tad boring. (606 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -13.1%

I poured this beer into a pint glass. It has a dark, rich reddish almost brown color body with a nice thick foamy head that hangs out for a bit then lays down to a nice thin lace, leaving some nice stickyness on the side of the glass. The smell has a hint of ancho chili but has a balsamic vinegar taste to it. The taste is the same as the smell, vinegar and the chili flavor comes through also. The mouth feel is ok and overall thsi is a ok beer, ihave had better. Just let this one warm up a bit then drink it, the flavors are much better. (541 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -10.5%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present, but brewed in my home state of Illinois so I'm going to assume it's fairly on the fresh side. Uncapped and poured to a Boulevard tulip.

A - Pours a rich dark mahogany reddish color with about a finger and a half of head.

S - Spicy. Malty. Dark cherry. Other dark fruit sweetness in there. I would dare to say some kind of chocolatey spice creeps out as it warms.

T - Very distinct malty taste melded together with the dark fruity sweetness which must be coming from the ancho chiles. As you continue to sip on this one, the spiciness begins to creep out a bit more, but it is nowhere near overwhelming.

M - Nice mouth feel, not too heavy nor too weak. The body of the beer is well-balanced and not overly carbonated. The chiles do begin to present a bit of spiciness in the finish.

Overall, not a favorite of mine, but definitely drinkable. I remember not being able to detect any chili spice last time I drank this, but maybe I'm just more aware now. Give it a try, especially if you're a fan of the style. I would try a different spiced chile beer, although I can't say I'm a big fan of the style.

5 Rabbit Cerveceria 5 Vulture ---3/5. (1,186 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I bought a single bottle of this chile beer at th Trader Joe's store in Glen Ellyn, IL for $1.50. Didn't want to get the whole 6 pack until I tried it. 12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

The beer poured a dark brown color but looked more mahogany when held to the light. The 1½-finger beige head lasted a few minutes and the lacing was decent.

The beer smells really sweet - mostly caramel and sugar.

This is a very sweet tasting beer consisting mostly of toasted malts and brown sugar.
Not much hop presence which means almost no bitterness. The ancho chile pepper doesn't hit right away, but just wait a few seconds and then it really hits you in the throat and lingers way into the aftertaste.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, medium bodied, and surprisingly low carbonation.

Not something I'd seek out again, but something I'm glad I tried. A very interesting beer. (878 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Saw this on the list in a Chicago restaurant and decided to give it a try as I've never tried a chili beer and I've been curious for a while now.

Things started off great. It looked luscious in the glass -- a deep reddish brown with a sturdy, sizable head and good lacing. The aroma was maltier than I expected -- bread, yeast and caramel galore. The flavor followed suit. A touch sweeter than I typically like my beers, but this was nicely balanced with trailing hops and it was working well with my meal, so no harm.

My only complaint was that the whole characteristic that makes this unique -- the ancho chili -- was so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable. If I didn't know ahead of time it was in there, I could have easily overlooked it. I see that other reviewers talk about a notable warming in the belly and whatnot, but I really didn't get any of that. Perhaps it was because I was pairing it with a selection of bold tapas, but it was a little disappointing in that regard.

That said, this was an interesting, malt-forward dark ale that would work well as a night-cap or as an accompaniment to dessert. (1,116 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

Been waiting a long time to try this. Hope it was worth it. It pours a clear sunset garnet-topaz-amber topped by maybe a half-finger of dirty off-white foam. The nose comprises sweet caramel, chile flesh, dank dark greens, and a half-pinch of cinnamon. The taste brings in much of the same, though the caramel comes off much more dull, and the chiles are greener and express a decent (though still pretty small) amount of of heat. Things don't mesh entirely well, unfortunately. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fairly syrupy feel. Overall, not my choice when it comes to chile beers, but it's not all bad and does go down easily enough. (716 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

On-tap at Delilah's - always looking to try new chile beers. Served in a tulip.

A - A finger of tan foam settles to a thin ring, leaving behind no lace at all. Transparent dark cider-brown color.

S - Smells like a fairly typical brown ale - toffee, malted milk chocolate, toffee, and a bit of buttery sweetness (like a Crunchie bar) - perhaps that's the piloncillo sugar. Not much ancho pepper in the nose.

T - The taste is fairly similar to the aroma - milk chocolate and caramel, along with some fruity ale yeast. There's not much overt pepper flavor - the anchos make their presence known elsewhere.

M - Initially there is a nice mild tingle, but after 6oz the heat becomes moderately intense, compelling one to take another sip of the beer thus making things even hotter. Medium bodied, slightly gritty texture, with moderate carbonation.

D - I think I gave up on the last few ounces as the heat became unpleasant and the beer didn't taste good enough to warrant consuming more under those conditions. There's too much heat and not enough chili flavor - you could probably trick someone with this beer actually. Definitely interesting, but not something I'll be rushing to try again any time soon. (1,206 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The color is a clear very dark red edging into brown. A big head develops and lasts, remaining as a thick pillow even after it's dropped. Thick patches of chunky lacing are left in plenty before dropping off to webbing.
The nose is somewhat indistinct; this seems like a standard brown to me. Malty backbone doesn't have a whole lot going on, as none of the peppery flavor or heat really come through. There is something like dark fruits tanginess and a light sugary sort of sweetness.
Heat does pull through in the flavor, as well as a little pepper flavor along with it. That tangy fruits thing comes out here also. Sweetness is at good levels. If anything, I'd say this beer is one that's pretty good but would be better if it was stronger. A little thinness comes through in the taste.
I'm a little surprised there's not more body considering the substance of the head. This beer is too light for what it is; in fact, it's downright thin. There needs to be more to support what should be happening. There's a crisp nip and no liveliness otherwise. It should be smooth but isn't, and is a little slick if anything. (1,117 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, pours mahogany in color with a thin tan head that leaves some lacing on the glass. Aromas are sweet with caramel, toffee, and some spice. Tastes are sweet also, brown sugar, molasses, caramel, toffee, spicy, and finishes with a bit of a kick that builds as you drink more. Mouth-feel is lighter bodied and smooth. Overall, well spiced, well balanced, not too much heat, but enough to enjoy it. Well done for the style. (431 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Dark tea/cola color, with a nice two-inch head of light tan foam.
Aroma-Toasted malt
Taste-Toasted malt, caramel, mildly spicy, faintly warming finish. Flavors a bit muddled and unbalanced, but interesting and subtle. A better match with food than on its own. Maybe a plate of tacos or a burrito. (351 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -0.3%

Dark brown with thin off white head

Thin clean smell. No hop or grain smell

Very mild brown ale that lacks character. The description says mild spice, but nothing even comes close. Good for a session brown ale, horrible when compared with description

light to medium body and crisp finish. Carbonation is great

If the beer matched the description it would have been a great beer, but I felt I was left out to dry. All in all not bad, but nothing I would go out of my way for again. (492 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bottle of this for $2.19 at Vintage Estate. Into a goblet

A - Deep porter brown almost black with a 1/2 inch of mocha head.
S - Smells ok roasted chilies is quite different smells like vegital roasted bell peppers. Quite strange with some sweet caramel malts and nutty malts.
T - Quite good it taste sort of like a brown ale with some chocolate and nutty notes but it comes off very vegital with the roasted chilies. Not that it's terrible its just strange.
M - Pretty drinkable I found it light to medium bodied. ABV is pretty balanced.

Overall nothing I would buy again. Quite a strange beer I was kind of turned off by the fact I bought a chili beer but roasted chilies is quite different. No heat. (715 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle purchased at 5 rabbit brewery. I've had this at the brewery but didn't review.
A: pours a deep cherry red brown, 2 finger off white brown foam head
S: malt, brown sugar, vanilla, slight chili
M: medium creamy body, slight resin that coats the tongue
T: light roasted malt, tobacco, caramel, toasted sugar like the label says, slight chile at the finish gives a little spicy heat
O: good brew worth trying, you drink a few of these in a row, not over powering chili flavor (485 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is ruby color with a thin head.

Smell is some sweet-spicy malts.

Taste is light roasted malts, caramel, mild hops and some chili powder at the end to make a nice spice.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin but smooth.

Overall, this is only the second 5 rabbit beer I've had and I was hesitant if trying this after the disappointing golden ale I had. I was more pleased with this brew, although I don't think this is great but it's decent. I would probably drink it again. (476 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour is light brown with red hue - almost chestnut. Very light colored head - rises up nicely.

Nose of carmel malts, candy sugar and spicey backing - I'm picking up the peppers, but don't know if I would have identified as such without knowing they are there.

Entry is quite soft, a bit on the watery side for this color - sweet malts with a black pepper feel midmouth. Hops provide some palate cleansing and a touch of bittering. The chili doesn't come in until the finish. As I consumed, the cumulative effect led it to being there throughout.

Some very nice flavors here - chocolate, black pepper and chilis - but seems to lack a bit of depth in mouthfeel that would help the flavors to shine. The rather thin feel makes the flavor a bit clunky.

A nice effort - interesting flavor profile, going in it's own direction. This has the makings of being a good signature beer for this brewery. Flavorful and drinkable, but complex and unusual. Just wish it had a bit more depth. (980 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a clear, brown color. 1/3 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet malt, roasted malt, hint of hop, hint of alcohol, and yeast. Does not fit the style of a Chile Beer. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of roasted malt, sweet malt, hint of hop, caramel malt, yeast, hint of alcohol, and a hint of biscuit. Overall, average appearance, aroma, and body, the chili is non-existent. (473 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ruby and bronze in color. Quick head and foam, but good bubbling.

Roasty, toasty, and a little smokey, malt aroma. A little smokey fruit aromas as well.

Heavy toasted malts with some added, smokey hints here and there. The middle gets a little musty, and the finish holdsto the toasted and faintly smokey malts and chilis.

Palateis smooth and a little oily. This is a chili beer I could drink one after the other. (417 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

A gift from my friend Mike, Thanks man!

A- Pours a traslucent brown with a 1 finger head. Nothing special but nothing bad by any means

S- Very faint. Picking up some malts and some dark fruits. A bit of pepper but as I said, very very insanely faint

T- Much stronger than the scent. Malt is the big player here but there are some nice fruit tastes and some chili taste but little to no burn in the back of the throat. Enjoyable

M- Tries to be smooth but the chili flavor fights it

O- Really glad I got to try this. I really like trying chili beers and this is another chili tick (583 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast