5 Vulture - 5 Rabbit Cerveceria

5 Rabbit Cerveceria visit their website
Illinois, United States

Chile Beer |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: emerge077 on 05-05-2011

5 Vulture is a deep ambered-colored ale with complex caramel aromas with toasted sugar notes and a long, elegant spicy finish. Roasted ancho chile is used to add depth and complexity, without adding heat or strong chile flavors.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 247 | Reviews: 49
3.21/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Not really spicy at all. It tasted like a very normal porter to me. I was a little disappointed.

4.04/5  rDev +16.8%

Pretty enjoyable with moderate amount of heat at the back of the palate.

3.56/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle purchased at 5 rabbit brewery. I've had this at the brewery but didn't review.
A: pours a deep cherry red brown, 2 finger off white brown foam head
S: malt, brown sugar, vanilla, slight chili
M: medium creamy body, slight resin that coats the tongue
T: light roasted malt, tobacco, caramel, toasted sugar like the label says, slight chile at the finish gives a little spicy heat
O: good brew worth trying, you drink a few of these in a row, not over powering chili flavor

3.94/5  rDev +13.9%

L: just like diet coke 1/2 cream head leaves with no trace
S: rich chocolate with toasted sugar with a kick
T: like a dark chocolate chili pepper
F: good that leaves a spice on back of tongue
O: surprised so chocolatey the chili sticks to your tongue I will drink occasionally for a change up

4.16/5  rDev +20.2%

asdlkfj a;slkdf ;aslkd ;als ;a;skd ;la ;a;f iueo ;flkdl jah djh kdj hlahs ad lask l l a; ;lksdj ;ahs ;has lkf la fh ldkjs lhak dhh fjh jjdh jfhlka kjf hg fhf hfjf fhhf kajshdk fkhd kfg skjdh fkjahs kjhf kjdh fkh

3.62/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a clear, brown color. 1/3 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells of sweet malt, roasted malt, hint of hop, hint of alcohol, and yeast. Does not fit the style of a Chile Beer. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of roasted malt, sweet malt, hint of hop, caramel malt, yeast, hint of alcohol, and a hint of biscuit. Overall, average appearance, aroma, and body, the chili is non-existent.

3.65/5  rDev +5.5%

In a word: complex. In greater detail: brown ale, but not brown ale; ancho-ie and roasted. Try it and judge for yourself.

3.84/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours very dark brown.

This beer tastes like a Flemish ale. Which I am a-okay with! However, juxtaposed against the last beer I just tried of theirs that was supposed to be a witbier and tasted like a Berliner Weisse, I'd say something is amiss here. I get minimal chile tones that give a mild touch of smoked heat on the backend. Mild fruity aspects.

An interesting beer. But probably only because it happens, by chance, to taste like a Flemish ale.

4.23/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The cool, damp night was a welcome relief. The scorching sun had roasted everything within reach. The buzzards that flew overhead all afternoon had nested with their bellies empty. If it was a tavern, it was long abandoned. The barkeep had a dressing wrapped around his head at least three times, covering one eye and creating enough padding to keep his Stetson firmly in place. With his one eye and one nod, he welcomed the company. Two towns west he used to be a farmhand; one town west he was a road merchant; here, he sat in the dark. It was warmer inside but dryer than the night air because the doors and window shutters were always closed. When asked if it was to keep others out or keep him in, he grew angry and thundered incomprehensibly. Rather than face isolation, he deliberately calmed and feigned interest sparged with dry humor. Every wrinkle on his filthy visage was an evaporating river threatening to finally reveal the countless skeletons of every drowning. He was perhaps gregarious as an expectation, but never a preference. It’s as if we place ourselves amidst anguish and tease a fury ready to manifest as an assault on what is expected of us rather than what we want. Facing the shelves of empty bottles, he rubbed the back of his neck hoping to wipe away perspiration but only shook off flaking skin he had been shedding for years. Proprietors and squatters know the tales but money only tells one story. The buzzards tell the rest.

3.6/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is ruby color with a thin head.

Smell is some sweet-spicy malts.

Taste is light roasted malts, caramel, mild hops and some chili powder at the end to make a nice spice.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin but smooth.

Overall, this is only the second 5 rabbit beer I've had and I was hesitant if trying this after the disappointing golden ale I had. I was more pleased with this brew, although I don't think this is great but it's decent. I would probably drink it again.

3.54/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bottle of this for $2.19 at Vintage Estate. Into a goblet

A - Deep porter brown almost black with a 1/2 inch of mocha head.
S - Smells ok roasted chilies is quite different smells like vegital roasted bell peppers. Quite strange with some sweet caramel malts and nutty malts.
T - Quite good it taste sort of like a brown ale with some chocolate and nutty notes but it comes off very vegital with the roasted chilies. Not that it's terrible its just strange.
M - Pretty drinkable I found it light to medium bodied. ABV is pretty balanced.

Overall nothing I would buy again. Quite a strange beer I was kind of turned off by the fact I bought a chili beer but roasted chilies is quite different. No heat.

3.7/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours cola colored with the translucence to match, topped by a head of coarse khaki bubbles. Aroma is sweet but controlled, smelling of caramel, honey, nuts, and milk chocolate. Flavor is marvelously rich and balanced, featuring many of the flavors noted in the nose. Toffee, nuts, caramel, and brown sugar coat the palate in a rich wash of flavor. There's also a pleasant kiss of milk chocolate as well. Whatever bitterness exists is only for balance, which it accomplishes sufficiently. One of its minor defects, the sweetness can become slightly cloying if imbibed too vigorously. The label touts ancho chiles, and while there are suggestions of that chile spice in the finish, it's hardly a featured flavor. The warming effect of the alcohol lingers palpably beneath the surface. Carbonation is perky and vigorous, offsetting some of the sweetness, while the body is medium and slightly sticky. Both complement the beer's flavor profile well.

Overall, this is a unique and complex brew that is both flavorful and easy to drink. As it is widely available locally, it's a beer I'm more than comfortable falling back on when more stellar offerings aren't available.

2.55/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A: Black. Opaque. Looks like cola. One finger head fades quickly.

S: Chile is present here. Thick malty smell.

T: Goes down smooth, light on the pallet with a smooth malty finish. Then... It hits you. The aftertaste. Yuck! It tastes like pizza goldfish crackers.

M: Decent mouth feel. Carbonation isn't an issue here but the aftertaste kills this beer.

O: This was my first chili beer and I hope to God it's my last chili beer.

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

this is brutally underrated on here. a very fine chili beer, one of the more drinkable ones out there, and with a remarkable depth and complexity in front of the pepper, not behind it. its got a dark amber color, closer to brown but still glowing red, and about an inch of tan head that becomes a thin film in a few warm minutes. the nose on this is way out, honey sweetness from the red malt, fire roasted long chilies, and semisweet chocolate, as well as a slight overdose of ale yeast which is abundant on the front of the tongue at the first sip. hard to tell if its chili hotness or burn from the alcohol, the pepper gives that kind of taste and mouthfeel, and ends up both in the back of the throat and on the tip of my tongue. I love the depth here, vanilla and spice, maybe cinnamon, like something from the age of exploration, this goes seemingly beyond the ales of mexico to a much more global, albeit it primitive, time period. it takes me there, and I like that. quite a bit of body, but plenty drinkable. chili feel and taste, but not too much heat, well refined and far better than its scores indicate. my brother was right about this one, and I now am in search of other beers from 5 rabbit. this is a clever and well executed concoction.

3.3/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Saw this on the list in a Chicago restaurant and decided to give it a try as I've never tried a chili beer and I've been curious for a while now.

Things started off great. It looked luscious in the glass -- a deep reddish brown with a sturdy, sizable head and good lacing. The aroma was maltier than I expected -- bread, yeast and caramel galore. The flavor followed suit. A touch sweeter than I typically like my beers, but this was nicely balanced with trailing hops and it was working well with my meal, so no harm.

My only complaint was that the whole characteristic that makes this unique -- the ancho chili -- was so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable. If I didn't know ahead of time it was in there, I could have easily overlooked it. I see that other reviewers talk about a notable warming in the belly and whatnot, but I really didn't get any of that. Perhaps it was because I was pairing it with a selection of bold tapas, but it was a little disappointing in that regard.

That said, this was an interesting, malt-forward dark ale that would work well as a night-cap or as an accompaniment to dessert.

2.82/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clean ruby amber, with a thick, luxurious head. Nice but clumsy lace, if that makes any sense.

Nose is burnt sugars -- caramel and toffee. Unusual and curious.

Taste is toasted, burnt sugar up front, to be followed by a definite hint of heat at the back of the palate, no doubt due to the ancho chiles here. Still, 5 Vulture seems off balance, with far too much weird sweetness. I noticed my bottle was contract-brewed by Minhas Craft Brewery, and this bottle echoes that brewery's propensity for off-balanced, artificial-tasting, overly malted ales.

I'd try this one again now that the brewery itself is up and running, but trust not the Minhas contract-brewed version.

3.74/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a very dark brown color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of malts, a bit of peppers. Taste is spicy, malty, good pepper flavor without to much heat. Well done. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a different beer I wouldn't want a steady diet of, but worth a shot.

3.3/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I bought a single bottle of this chile beer at th Trader Joe's store in Glen Ellyn, IL for $1.50. Didn't want to get the whole 6 pack until I tried it. 12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

The beer poured a dark brown color but looked more mahogany when held to the light. The 1½-finger beige head lasted a few minutes and the lacing was decent.

The beer smells really sweet - mostly caramel and sugar.

This is a very sweet tasting beer consisting mostly of toasted malts and brown sugar.
Not much hop presence which means almost no bitterness. The ancho chile pepper doesn't hit right away, but just wait a few seconds and then it really hits you in the throat and lingers way into the aftertaste.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, medium bodied, and surprisingly low carbonation.

Not something I'd seek out again, but something I'm glad I tried. A very interesting beer.

2.72/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: Pours a deep mahogany/amber…dark and dense, not overly transparent…off white head formed and thinned to a nice layer covering the top…it’s got a bit of Belgian yeast life, mildly, but it’s there…it does take the look of a flat beer after about 15 minutes…(3/5)

Smell: Tons of dark fruit sweetness with almost a holiday ale aroma…dark cherry, fig, raisin, malts, earthiness, chocolate, caramel, spices…it’s got a nice smell though it’s not overly aromatic…(3.5/5)

Taste: Classic amber ale up front, sweet/dark/roasted malt flavor, pretty average…but what happens next is what makes this ale different…there is a rush of chili pepper that starts from the back of the throat and touches the outside of my tongue…it does add some unique flavor, but it’s really only trying to improve an average amber beer as it is…definitely warms the belly with each sip…(2.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, tons of carbonation…fluffs up bringing more chili spice to the palate, really setting things on fire…ends sweet and finishes spicy medium…(3/5)

Overall: The more I drink, the warmer my belly gets…it’s a different take on an amber ale, but nothing that I hope catches on…I definitely couldn’t drink more than one of these in a sitting as my gut would ulcer I think…I’m not even sure I’m gonna finish the one I have now…it’s interesting but not worth your precious drinking time…(2/5)

3.15/5  rDev -9%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present, but brewed in my home state of Illinois so I'm going to assume it's fairly on the fresh side. Uncapped and poured to a Boulevard tulip.

A - Pours a rich dark mahogany reddish color with about a finger and a half of head.

S - Spicy. Malty. Dark cherry. Other dark fruit sweetness in there. I would dare to say some kind of chocolatey spice creeps out as it warms.

T - Very distinct malty taste melded together with the dark fruity sweetness which must be coming from the ancho chiles. As you continue to sip on this one, the spiciness begins to creep out a bit more, but it is nowhere near overwhelming.

M - Nice mouth feel, not too heavy nor too weak. The body of the beer is well-balanced and not overly carbonated. The chiles do begin to present a bit of spiciness in the finish.

Overall, not a favorite of mine, but definitely drinkable. I remember not being able to detect any chili spice last time I drank this, but maybe I'm just more aware now. Give it a try, especially if you're a fan of the style. I would try a different spiced chile beer, although I can't say I'm a big fan of the style.

5 Rabbit Cerveceria 5 Vulture ---3/5.

3.06/5  rDev -11.6%

I poured this beer into a pint glass. It has a dark, rich reddish almost brown color body with a nice thick foamy head that hangs out for a bit then lays down to a nice thin lace, leaving some nice stickyness on the side of the glass. The smell has a hint of ancho chili but has a balsamic vinegar taste to it. The taste is the same as the smell, vinegar and the chili flavor comes through also. The mouth feel is ok and overall thsi is a ok beer, ihave had better. Just let this one warm up a bit then drink it, the flavors are much better.

3.92/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: Solid brown when poured. Looks ruby red under the light. Very little lacing and foam.

Smell: Spicy pungency in the smell, but it's not overpowering. Orange zest and balsamic vinegar. Very pleasant.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mostly orange zest. Nice malt/hop balance. The chile doesn't come out until the finish, but it does provide a nice heat. Definitely more red pepper than black pepper. Mouthfeel is clean, and even a bit oily from the chiles I think. I think this might be the first time "oily" is a good trait in a beer, because I think it fits perfectly with the chile and permeates the flavors. Nice peppery bite in the mouthfeel, but I wish it were a bit thicker to highlight the spices.

Overall Drinkability: This beer gets better as you drink it and as it warms a bit.

2.4/5  rDev -30.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a very hazy, murky brown color that's similar to iced tea. There's virtually no head, decent lacing and retention. The aromas are sweet and full of caramel malts. It kind of smells like a sugar cookie. I can also pick up some vanilla, toffee, and butterscotch. Diacetyl seems very present.The peppers aren't noticeable in the nose. The flavor is pretty bland. More caramel and butterscotch, with a touch of cocoa. There's some toffee in the mix as well. The peppers are extremely subtle and basically non-existent. I don't think I would've known this was a chile beer. It finishes with a touch of heat, but it leaves you wanting more spice. Diacetyl seems to takeover the flavors as well. It's on the lighter side of medium-bodied and has very active carbonation. Alcohol goes unnoticed.

This beer isn't too exciting for me. I wouldn't seek it out again. But if you're a brown ale fan, give it a shot. I still appreciate a brewery that tries different things.

3.65/5  rDev +5.5%

Amber colored with a thin white head and pretty respectable lacing. Smell is a sort of cocoa/caramel and very light chile. The taste is caramel, a strong sugar, some peppery clove, and a wonderful slow-simmer chile which never overwhelms but never really goes away. This is probably the best chile beer I've ever had.

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

A- Half finch beige head, translucent dark mahogany body. Cap and collar head stayed throughout, decent lacing.

S- Caramel malts, bread. Has just the faintest whiff of chile. Probably only notice it because I know this is a chile beer, hah.

T- Starts off on the sweet end and only towards the tail end of each sip does the heat come out, very subdued at that. Would not guess this is a 6.4%abv beer.

M- Carbonation compliments the ancho nicely. Medium to medium-thin mouthfeel.

D/O- Well implemented chile heat. Not overpowering in the least as it is with most beers label "chile". Pleasantly surprised with this one from 5 Rabbit.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »