5 Vulture - 5 Rabbit Cerveceria

5 Vulture5 Vulture

5 Rabbit Cerveceria visit their website
Illinois, United States

Chile Beer |  6.40% ABV

5 Vulture is a deep ambered-colored ale with complex caramel aromas with toasted sugar notes and a long, elegant spicy finish. Roasted ancho chile is used to add depth and complexity, without adding heat or strong chile flavors.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 05-05-2011)

2.41/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A: Black. Opaque. Looks like cola. One finger head fades quickly.

S: Chile is present here. Thick malty smell.

T: Goes down smooth, light on the pallet with a smooth malty finish. Then... It hits you. The aftertaste. Yuck! It tastes like pizza goldfish crackers.

M: Decent mouth feel. Carbonation isn't an issue here but the aftertaste kills this beer.

O: This was my first chili beer and I hope to God it's my last chili beer.

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

this is brutally underrated on here. a very fine chili beer, one of the more drinkable ones out there, and with a remarkable depth and complexity in front of the pepper, not behind it. its got a dark amber color, closer to brown but still glowing red, and about an inch of tan head that becomes a thin film in a few warm minutes. the nose on this is way out, honey sweetness from the red malt, fire roasted long chilies, and semisweet chocolate, as well as a slight overdose of ale yeast which is abundant on the front of the tongue at the first sip. hard to tell if its chili hotness or burn from the alcohol, the pepper gives that kind of taste and mouthfeel, and ends up both in the back of the throat and on the tip of my tongue. I love the depth here, vanilla and spice, maybe cinnamon, like something from the age of exploration, this goes seemingly beyond the ales of mexico to a much more global, albeit it primitive, time period. it takes me there, and I like that. quite a bit of body, but plenty drinkable. chili feel and taste, but not too much heat, well refined and far better than its scores indicate. my brother was right about this one, and I now am in search of other beers from 5 rabbit. this is a clever and well executed concoction.

3.29/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Saw this on the list in a Chicago restaurant and decided to give it a try as I've never tried a chili beer and I've been curious for a while now.

Things started off great. It looked luscious in the glass -- a deep reddish brown with a sturdy, sizable head and good lacing. The aroma was maltier than I expected -- bread, yeast and caramel galore. The flavor followed suit. A touch sweeter than I typically like my beers, but this was nicely balanced with trailing hops and it was working well with my meal, so no harm.

My only complaint was that the whole characteristic that makes this unique -- the ancho chili -- was so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable. If I didn't know ahead of time it was in there, I could have easily overlooked it. I see that other reviewers talk about a notable warming in the belly and whatnot, but I really didn't get any of that. Perhaps it was because I was pairing it with a selection of bold tapas, but it was a little disappointing in that regard.

That said, this was an interesting, malt-forward dark ale that would work well as a night-cap or as an accompaniment to dessert.

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

2.8/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clean ruby amber, with a thick, luxurious head. Nice but clumsy lace, if that makes any sense.

Nose is burnt sugars -- caramel and toffee. Unusual and curious.

Taste is toasted, burnt sugar up front, to be followed by a definite hint of heat at the back of the palate, no doubt due to the ancho chiles here. Still, 5 Vulture seems off balance, with far too much weird sweetness. I noticed my bottle was contract-brewed by Minhas Craft Brewery, and this bottle echoes that brewery's propensity for off-balanced, artificial-tasting, overly malted ales.

I'd try this one again now that the brewery itself is up and running, but trust not the Minhas contract-brewed version.

3.74/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a very dark brown color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of malts, a bit of peppers. Taste is spicy, malty, good pepper flavor without to much heat. Well done. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a different beer I wouldn't want a steady diet of, but worth a shot.

5 Vulture from 5 Rabbit Cerveceria