5 Grass - 5 Rabbit Cerveceria

5 Rabbit Cerveceria visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 05-15-2012

5 Grass is a refreshing yet substantial beer that is pale in color and nicely hoppy. With this beer, we wanted to invoke the brisk, clean aroma of the desert. The recipe makes use of three unique hop varieties as well as some carefully chosen herbs and spices - juniper, sage, and Tasmanian pepperberry, among others - to give a beautiful outdoorsy scent. With it’s smooth clean malt flavors and a unique, complex nose, 5 Grass is like a refreshing walk in the wide open spaces.

2.5/5  rDev -26.7%

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

1.75/5  rDev -48.7%

3.36/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Apparently this is the 800th brewery I have tried. I was thinking of a more grandiose approach to this, but oh well, this is how it's going to be.

What the hell? What spices did they put in this? Did they just order a massive wad of herbs wholesale and throw them in?

This seems very much a gimmick to me. Pretty much everything from this brewery does, from what I have read. I am in no way looking forward to trying the other beers I have picked up from them.

3.59/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - A very weird shade of brown with tons of mini floaties throughout. Head was short lived just a 1/4 inch that fades to a mildly sticky lace ring.
S - Well it is quite grassy and I can smell some peppercorn along with some flowers? It's an interesting smell I didn't expect for a beer kind of smells like potpourri.
T - Very herbal and spices with an almost oaky finish. I really can't taste the hops over the flood of sage and peppercorns but it is mild enough and balanced to drink. Second sip it taste more like tea leaves and berries. This beer is all over the place!
M - Kind of watery, not very hoppy but overall light to medium on the palate.

Overall a very balanced herbal beer but with a name like "5 grass hoppy ale" I really expected more hops. Still it is quite good.

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

3.75/5  rDev +10%

3.43/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle shared by HopasaurusRex, thanks for the opportunity Todd!
Hazy golden color with a decent sized off white head. Huge coriander and other spice aroma. Sweet malty with a spice edge to the flavor. Interesting beer, but a bit high on the spice scale for my tastes.

3.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is the second 5 rabbit I've tried and I think I see a trend that I like. They are both unique brews.

This one opens and pours into a slightly darker than usual color with a smallish head. The aroma is uniquely hoppyand grassy. The taste follows suit. It is slightly sweet, definitely hoppy and uniquely so. The aftertaste is a dark bitter, kind of busy affair. Although I'm not sure this really works it sue is different.

4.13/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dark orange color with lots of floating yeast flakes. Weak head on the pour leaves a ring around the glass with a few lace spots.

Aroma is very biscuity, buttery and spicy with hints of fruit.

At first the flavor was a little strange and I did not know what to think of it. As I drink it more, I am really starting to enjoy this. The spices hit you right away. Ginger, sage and jasmine come to mind. Hops are well pronounced with a mildly bitter pine and herbal character. Malt lies underneath with a sturdy biscuit and corn bread foundation. Very well balanced.

Solid medium body. Well carbonated. Yeast texture. Crisp, clean finish. Highly refreshing.

I'm surprised at the scores on this. I think the brewery accomplished what it set out to do and made a tasty, refreshing ale that tastes hoppy and spicy. Maybe people were just expecting a pale ale and they should have called it "spiced ale" instead of "hoppy ale." Either way, I really like this beer.

5 Grass from 5 Rabbit Cerveceria