Sunshine Coast Rye ESB - Sunshine Coast Brewery, The

No picture uploaded.

Sunshine Coast Brewery, The visit their website
Australia

Rye Beer |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: doktorhops on 11-06-2012)
Reviews by doktorhops:
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Always hankered for a Rye beer, don't know why, perhaps it is the allure of exotic malts, or perhaps it is due to the flavour profile being something I would dig in a brew. Either way it's a bloody challenge to get one here in Australia, so when I saw one on tap at my favourite brewhouse (The Archive) it felt as if lady luck herself had bent down from heaven, which consists primarily of casinos, and kissed me pliantly on the cheek. I had to have it. And here are my notes:

Poured from a tap into a Schooner (like a pint but smaller my American brethren).

A: Slight cloudy ruby body with a thin lacing of beige head. Quite an appealing beer appearance-wise.

S: Dark fruits, sweet rye bread and a hint of sour yeast. No hops. Also detected an unwanted metallic note, but I'll let it slide for such a unique brew.

T: Intriguing mix of sweet rye and sour yeast. The hops are noticeable now and add a fruity/earthy presence, with a caramel malt base. Finishes with a long peppery taste. Good flavours here.

M: Hearty body with a light but dense carbonation.

D: Quite a decent drop. Filling like a cold beef stew but with a sweet dessert mix thrown in for good measure. Would definitely recommend and drink this again, in fact I'm glad I drank three Schooners before switching to some other beer which I don't even remember now.

Food match: Crispy skinned pork belly, bratwurst sausage and buttered rare rib fillet
served with baked potato and sauerkraut is one of the recommendations on the Sunshine Coast Brewery menu and I would say it is spot on.

3.99/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Format: enjoyed a half-pint of this at The Scratch in Milton, Brisbane. Thus far I am a big fan of rye beers, so I have big hopes for this one, particularly since it is a local Queensland beer.

Appearance: a deep and vibrant golden-brown with reasonable carbonation visible. A half-finger of off-white head drops slowly to a solid ring, with solid lace. Looks good.

Aroma: I got plenty of caramel up front with some fruits and heavy rye bread. Quite sweet.

Taste: again there is plenty of that sweet caramel up front, but after allowing it to sit and warm for a short time fruit esters poke their nose through.

Aftertaste: the heavy rye bread comes back through on the finish along with that lingering sweetness from the caramel.

Mouth feel: a medium to heavy body with a moderate carbonation that suits this beer down to the ground. A fantastic feel to this beer.

Overall: quite a nice rye beer from a local Queensland brewery. The flavour profile is well-rounded - if a little sweet for my tastes - but a great beer to enjoy sitting in the corner of a craft beer bar (hypothetically speaking). A case of 16 x 330mL is AU$60, making it far better value than other ryes I have had thus far (Hop Rod Rye, Supa Fly Rye IPA, Gramarye) - I'm impressed. I'll be driving up to their brewery tomorrow to try the rest of their selection!

Sunshine Coast Rye ESB from Sunshine Coast Brewery, The
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.