Sunshine Coast Rye ESB - Sunshine Coast Brewery, The

pDev: 0%
Sunshine Coast Brewery, The visit their website
Australia

Rye Beer |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: doktorhops on 11-06-2012)
Reviews by doktorhops:
3.9/5  rDev 0%

Always hankered for a Rye beer, don't know why, perhaps it is the allure of exotic malts, or perhaps it is due to the flavour profile being something I would dig in a brew. Either way it's a bloody challenge to get one here in Australia, so when I saw one on tap at my favourite brewhouse (The Archive) it felt as if lady luck herself had bent down from heaven, which consists primarily of casinos, and kissed me pliantly on the cheek. I had to have it. And here are my notes:

Poured from a tap into a Schooner (like a pint but smaller my American brethren).

A: Slight cloudy ruby body with a thin lacing of beige head. Quite an appealing beer appearance-wise.

S: Dark fruits, sweet rye bread and a hint of sour yeast. No hops. Also detected an unwanted metallic note, but I'll let it slide for such a unique brew.

T: Intriguing mix of sweet rye and sour yeast. The hops are noticeable now and add a fruity/earthy presence, with a caramel malt base. Finishes with a long peppery taste. Good flavours here.

M: Hearty body with a light but dense carbonation.

D: Quite a decent drop. Filling like a cold beef stew but with a sweet dessert mix thrown in for good measure. Would definitely recommend and drink this again, in fact I'm glad I drank three Schooners before switching to some other beer which I don't even remember now.

Food match: Crispy skinned pork belly, bratwurst sausage and buttered rare rib fillet
served with baked potato and sauerkraut is one of the recommendations on the Sunshine Coast Brewery menu and I would say it is spot on.

doktorhops, Nov 06, 2012
Sunshine Coast Rye ESB from Sunshine Coast Brewery, The
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.