Jack-Ale-Lantern - Jackalope Brewing Company

Freshness: Unknown
Packaging: Draft
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: On tap at the Flying Saucer, Nashville

Was pretty excited to try a pint from the new Nashville brewery. The only previous tasting I had from them was at a beer fest. The Jackalope blog describes this as a pumpkin pecan ale.

Appearance is hard to describe since I was in a darkened bar, although the most noticeable feature was this was a very cloudy beer, that stayed hazy the whole session. Head was maybe a finger high.

Aromas consisted of pumpkin fruit, pumpkin pie spices and hops. To me, the hop presence was too pronounced for a pumpkin ale -- they seemed to overwhelm the pumpkin notes.

The taste, as the aroma, was hop forward with few malt characteristics. The bitterness fights back the more delicate spices and pumpkin flavors, which are hard to pick out. I really didn't taste any pecan or nut flavors either. The body was medium and the finish was dry.

Overall, I was disappointed in this beer. I like pumpkin ales and was eager to try the new local effort, but in the end both me and my friend thought this tasted like a pale ale with a few spices thrown in.

Jack-Ale-Lantern from Jackalope Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.