Apricot Wheat - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Apricot Wheat
No picture uploaded.

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-20-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Clear, light gold colour with a small short lasted off-white head. Nice lacing.

Big, pungeant apricot aroma. Very light tartness.

Smooth light malt sweetness with a hint of grain. Good apricot flavour which is a touch over the top but still good.

Medium body with moderately low carbonation. Good.

A solid effort with a good if slightly over the top apricot flavour. I’d like a little more wheat character to shine through.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Apricot hue, hazy, with a wispy head and spotty lace.

S - The nose is very fruity (apricots mostly), and is almost potpourri like, but is fairly nice.

T - The taste is quite fruity and yet it is also rather dry, offering a simple pale grain and mineral water base with lots of apricot lingering on the finish.

M - The feel is watery and lightly carbonated which happens to serve this beer quite well.

O - A (better-than) decent fruit beer, and very refreshing.

4.33/5  rDev +30.4%

A: poured an orange brown with yellow highlights with a half finger of head and left decent lacing on the glass.

S: the apricots really do run the show on the aroma with faint wheat and malt notes; fruity aroma for sure.

T: the taste is of candy apricots with a pretty decent malt backbone but doesn't have a whole lot of wheat charater goin on which is not a bad thing for me.

M: the brew was medium body with a good amount of carbonation that had a sweet malty and creamy finish.

D: drank surprisingly very good and wasn't overwhelming on the sweetness. I honestly really enjoy this beer, so all you fruit beer haters can suck it pimp.

2.25/5  rDev -32.2%

Had this on tap at the yardhouse. I remember it being a lot better.

Pours a light orange. Tastes fainly of apricot, but not much. There's little to no wheat content either. In fact, it just tastes pretty bad. Overly carbonated and unappealing in every respect.

Avoid.

1.1/5  rDev -66.9%

Good lord.... this beer tasted and smelled like a urinal cake.... Light to no mouthfeel, good color and retentive head, but my god.... I just could not get past the fact that the apricot was so artificial... It smelled and tasted horrible, I could barely get through the sample I was given.

I am doing this from my notes which were from a few months ago when this was still on tap. I am not a huge fan of either wheat beers and fruit beers and here we have them together. It a light amber and cloudy as you would expect. Not much head, and not much lacing. Nose of hops and apricot. Very mild and a bit sweet, with apricots dominating the flavor. A little bit sweet. I think fruit beers are hard to do well, and this one is in my opinion, just average. I wonder if Lost Coast will try this again, and if so get it better. I will keep an eye out for it.

1.78/5  rDev -46.4%

Had as a taster on tap in Tanks Tap Room Tampa. Appearance slightly cloudy as you would expect of a wheat beer, though the aroma hints more at dryish apricot flavours, with no hint of the 'banana' flavours you get in a Hefe Weiss beer. The taste was just simply unpleasant, dryish but with an almost artificial apricot weak thin aftertaste that left a dry feeling in the mouth rather like the worst artificial sweetners can give. Cannot really imagine anyone enjoying this, and did not finish the taster, just unpleasant and good argument against adding any fruit to a beer! I would hope the Brewer has some better beers than this, regret it would discourage me from trying any others from them. Sorry, but just simply awful.

JohnW
B'ham UK (written while in Tampa FL Oct 2006)

1.98/5  rDev -40.4%

I can easily find Lost Coast’s mainline beers in Seattle, so when visiting their brewpub in Eureka, CA, I was looking for beers on tap that aren’t distributed in my corner of the country. Unfortunately, they were out of both their Winterbraun ale, which would have been the only non-novelty beer (Fruit / Vegetable) beer they had on tap. So I had to venture into territory that I’m admittedly not particularly fond of. I like beer and I enjoy apricots. I’m not convinced after drinking Lost Coast’s Apricot Wheat that they should be united into a single experience. The beer is a cloudy, wheaty, hazy copper orange. The smell is not of fresh apricots so much as a somewhat acrid artificial ester. The taste is washed out, light, and dominated by the artificial fruit taste. If it had, perhaps, a quarter of the fruit flavoring, it might be an acceptable marriage, but it’s too imbalanced towards the fruit. It’s barely beer. The mouthfeel is light and slightly astringent. The drinkability is low.

I realize my ratings on this beer are low. I'm reviewing them even in consideration of the style itself. I think if this beer had less fruit taste in general and more of a natural fruit taste, it could be much improved. As is, it falls short for its style.

3.08/5  rDev -7.2%

On-tap at Library Alehouse in Santa Monica.

The pour is a slightly cloudy apricot/dark orange. Unlike Pyramid’s Apricot Weizen, the apricot that dominates this brew's aroma and flavor is sugary and artificial- like a cough syrup. It doesn't do anything to change the negative stigma that's attached to fruit beers.

3.15/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: Hazy, apricot colored with a tinge of brown. White head with limited retention.

Smell: Smells very artificial, like Metamucil or Emergen-C; overly acidic. Lemon, wheat bread, apricot, and raspberry aromas are also present.

Taste: Pleasant black tea-like taste with a solid, wheaty foundation. Lemon and apricot feature prominently. Kind of weak in all departments, but rather well-balanced.

Mouthfeel: Alka-Seltzery at first, but this transforms into a clean, tingly, and chewy froth as you swish it about your palate. Not bad.

Drinkability: Unfortunately, the refreshing mouthfeel does not make up for the Pixy Stix-like aroma and blasé taste. This is an okay beer that is worth a try, but not quite world-class.

1.95/5  rDev -41.3%

Tap@Lost Coast, May 2004. i know my friend i had this with liked this one, but i couldn’t force myself to. Lightly sweet apricots, wheaty, bit funny for some reason, not a fan. I guess i'm not sure whether i like Apricot or not, this just didn't work for me, but it was relatively refreshing.

3.85/5  rDev +16%

Pours a beautiful apricot color, hazy with a nice, creamy head and good lacing.
Smell is sweet, apricot and malt. A well-balanced nose.
Taste is malt, apricot and light hops.
Mouthfeel is smooth with a light effervescence. Medium bodied.
Drinkability is quite high, would gladly quaff this offering again. Again, balance is good but I would have liked more complexity. Apricot, along with blueberry and peach, are such subtle flavors that they rarely get thru to the final product. This is happily not the case here.

3.43/5  rDev +3.3%

Now Quaffing: Lost Coast Apricot Wheat

I was surprised to find this on tap when I went to work tonight--always nice to see new lost coast brews. Pours a nice hazy, straw color with a nice full white head. The apricot is noticeable in the aroma, but very subtle. The taste was a nice balance of the apricot (not too sour or acidic like some apricot lambics), and a sweet, grassy, wheat (also not sour at all which was nice). The apricot lingers slightly on the palate, but the beer itself is very smooth and drinkable (especially when its 80+ degrees outside), and finishes fairly clean for an unfiltered wheat. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but this is a good example of what a "Fruit-wheat" should be.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »