Great White - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-20-2001

Ratings: 823 | Reviews: 329

This is my favorite!!! Taste soo bomb

Great refreshing beer. Love it. Great zesty wheat taste.

This was the first white ale and it was really refreshing and easy to drink

4.88/5  rDev +42.7%

Very easy to drink one of my fav.

4.85/5  rDev +41.8%

Taste and smell is very good!

4.77/5  rDev +39.5%

A very delicious beer that is both refreshing and also has significant flavor. Citrus is the unique taste that makes this beer different from the majority of other beers.

A: Slightly cloudy from being unfiltered. No serious flaws in appearance.

S: No off smells, but not overwhelming in smell either. Citrus is the most noticable smell I can get.

T: Citrus (lemon), light malts, slight amount of bitterness. To my taste, has a perfect blend of sweet, tart, and bitter.

M: Medium bodied

D: Outstanding drinkability, maintains refreshing qualities and some body at the same time.

Overall: Outstanding taste, refreshing, while maintaining some body and lots of flavor make this my favorite "refreshing" style beer.

4.75/5  rDev +38.9%

Great Beer if you want to pound a couple after a long day.

4.7/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Anybody who rates this below a 4 is crazy. This is one of the finest beers ever crafted. The only reason I don't score it a 5 is because it's a witbeir and I'm not particularly fond of them. But this great white, I could drink all night. Serve it with an orange slice.

4.64/5  rDev +35.7%

I've got Humboldt Co roots and the beer is awesome!

4.57/5  rDev +33.6%

Appearance-A hazy orangeish yellow color. About a fingers worth of snow white head settles into a wispy layer with a nice white ring around the sides of the glass.

Aroma- great aroma of lemon, fruit loops cereal, coriander, basil, and lime. This is a great wit smell.

Taste- Reminiscent of thai food with tastes of lemongrass, and basil. Very clean and fresh tasting. There is a certain spiciness to this beer that I find very intresting. The bitterness compliments this beer perfectly. You would think this beer is sweet by its smell by that is not so. This is not your typical wit.

Mouthfeel- Very crisp and fresh. Stingy carbonation.

Drinkability- This is good stuff. The best wit I have ever had. I couldn't think of anything better to drink on a hot summer day.

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

Ok, for starters great white I believe will be in my top 3 all time favorites! I have been drinking great white for many years now. I have drank it in the cafe in eureka, bars in my home town, bottles in my garage.

Appearance is great, nice yellow with a smooth head that goes down fast.

Smells of citrus nicely but not too overwhelming.

the taste was great! i loved it from the start, the citrus is great flavor but not over whelming. went down very smooth with not too long lasting alcohol taste.

I would give this a better drinkability review do to the fact that i cant ever just have one of these. working in my garage I found myself drinking alot more of them then I should. Great white goes awesome with spicy foods! I believe great white is the pringles of beers. once you pop you cant stop! great beer!

4.48/5  rDev +31%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What can I say, I'm a summer beer guy and this one doesn't disapoint! Great label, light and easy to drink. This is a great beer to enjoy on a hot summer evening with a few 'blonde' friends! One of my summer favorites. Try both with and without an orange/lemon slice!

4.48/5  rDev +31%

Move over Jaws there is a new shark in town! Great White is the perfect summer bbq beer. The pale golden color and amazing taste made me an instant fan after my first one. It has a nice citrus smell with a hint of what i think is vanilla and it goes down smooth. Go out grab some and have a bbq with your friends,you wont regret it.

4.39/5  rDev +28.4%

Poured from bottle. Marginal head that slowly dissapates to nothing. I was surprised by the transparency of it, because it calls itself a Begium style white beer it should be opaque like apple cider. Still, it retains the richness and citrus/spiced background of a white.

S: Citrus, spices

A: Translucent; slight yeast settling on the bottom of the glass due to being unfiltered.

T: Very rich; full of citrus and spices.

M & D: As stated on the package "Seemingly a contradiction in terms, the Great White Beer has a full-bodied mouth feel, yet is suprisingly light to drink." I drank 2 full glasses in the time it took me to write this 10 minute review.

Perfect spring/summer brew.

4.35/5  rDev +27.2%

I enjoy this beer, I buy 6 pack bottles from Binnys or Woodmans. It is even better on tap.
Nice poor, very light head. This beer is unfiltered but not cloudy. It has a plesent light malt and fruity smell. Very smooth and refreshing. I taste wonderful spring water, light spices and citrus. I would personally highly recommend this beer. If you like even more fruit flavor then try the tangerine beer by lost coast. My wife likes that one.

4.32/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Full and citrusy. Crisp with light hops. Great beer.

4.3/5  rDev +25.7%

Appearance is slightly cloudy but brilliant yellow with a lively off-white head. Aroma is full of fruity esters like orange, lemon, peach, mango and then some bread dough like yeastiness and finally some fresh herbs like basil. Very complex. Taste...mmm...kind of like a summer meadow in a glass. Fruits, flowers, herbs, and yes, some maltiness, too. Just enough hop bitterness to balance any sweetness. Despite all the esters it's not a very sweet beer and actually finishes semi-dry for a very thirst quenching pint. I've had this now from the bottle and on tap at their little brewpub. It's outrageously delicious on tap and the brewpub has the best grub in town. A bit more subdued in the bottle but definately worth seeking out.

4.3/5  rDev +25.7%

Tucson summers are miserably dehydrating. This beer is refreshing and won't leave a dry feeling in your mouth that an IPA or pale ale will this time or year. The appearance is slightly cloudy showing it hasn't been filtered to death and the aroma that of any good wheat beer. I find myself enjoying a lot of this lately!

4.27/5  rDev +24.9%

A: Pours golden yellow. A bit lighter than I generally am into, but not too light. Finger and a half thick foamy white head dissipates quickly, leaving minimal lacing.

S: Florals, fruits, and spice. A little citrus hoppiness, but the malts are what really shows through here.

T: Apples, with a few flowery notes. Finish is all about the bready malts with a slight citric bite. Actually very pleasant, and I generally do not like sweet beers at all.

M: Medium body. Dry, but the sweetness sort of counteracts that. The carbonation is light, but strong enough to make its presence felt and tickle the tongue a bit.

D: I don't think I would make this a regular session beer just because it's probably a bit too sweet for that. But it's still something I will come back to every now and then.

4.27/5  rDev +24.9%

I really like this wheat beer. This light unfiltered beer poured a hazy light straw gold in color with no foam. The smell was of a malty aroma with a hint of wheat. The flavor of barley malts, wheat and spice was very well balanced. The combination of malts, wheat and spice with a hint of a spritzy citrus at the end made this wheat beer a pleasant quincher. A nice bitter/sweet/tangy finish. The aroma and taste reminded me of a Belgium Style Ale!

4.24/5  rDev +24%

Definately a nice whitbier...
Pours a pale cloudy yellow with a smallish head for a whit....nice lacing, however.
Aroma is sweet malt and corriander...a little bit of bread...but not heavy yeast or hop intrusions and no banana esters.
The tongue is hit with the sweetness at first then a lightly biting hop and then wheat spicyness.
Aftertaste is dry and sweet without being cloying
Mouthfeel is tingly with the carbonation and pepper like wheat spiciness.
An excellent summer cooler

4.22/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a cloudy yellow with more than an inch of foamy head that dissipated quickly leaving no head.

Wonderful spice and fruit aromas greet the nose, with that distinct wheat aroma also present. The flavors of orange peel and coriander are noticeable, as they should be for the style, but not over powering.

The body is slightly better than average for the style. The drinkability on this excellent. This is one of my favorite go-to summer beers and a good change of pace from the heavier beers of winter.

4.21/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nice and light! Perfect summertime beer. Bought in Seattle at the Beer Junction .

4.2/5  rDev +22.8%

Appearance: Typical witbier appearance, Golden yellow with nice white head

Smell: Coriander, citrus, spice

Taste: Belgian wit - citrus, coriander, melon, honeydew

Mouthfeel: light and thin - not water - not chewy.

Drinkability: Very drinkable - good session wit. I would love to try this on draft.

4.2/5  rDev +22.8%

12 oz bottle, served in a Pilsner glass.

A - hazy, golden color with a nice white head that thinned to a layer, leaving some bits of lace.

S - nice citrus aroma with a hint of spice.

T - good citrus/spice flavor.

M - light bodied, good carbonation.

D - highly drinkable, good tasting witbier

Great White from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe