Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Great White - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Great WhiteGreat White

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-20-2001

4.89/5  rDev +45.1%

Had this beer in one of the pubs here in Hong Kong and really love the its taste and smell. I remember having 4 glasses of this beer while my friends switch to another brand. Unfortunately the pub where I had this beer no longer sells this as they need to import the brand directly to the US.

4.77/5  rDev +41.5%

A very delicious beer that is both refreshing and also has significant flavor. Citrus is the unique taste that makes this beer different from the majority of other beers.

A: Slightly cloudy from being unfiltered. No serious flaws in appearance.

S: No off smells, but not overwhelming in smell either. Citrus is the most noticable smell I can get.

T: Citrus (lemon), light malts, slight amount of bitterness. To my taste, has a perfect blend of sweet, tart, and bitter.

M: Medium bodied

D: Outstanding drinkability, maintains refreshing qualities and some body at the same time.

Overall: Outstanding taste, refreshing, while maintaining some body and lots of flavor make this my favorite "refreshing" style beer.

4.7/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Anybody who rates this below a 4 is crazy. This is one of the finest beers ever crafted. The only reason I don't score it a 5 is because it's a witbeir and I'm not particularly fond of them. But this great white, I could drink all night. Serve it with an orange slice.

4.57/5  rDev +35.6%

Appearance-A hazy orangeish yellow color. About a fingers worth of snow white head settles into a wispy layer with a nice white ring around the sides of the glass.

Aroma- great aroma of lemon, fruit loops cereal, coriander, basil, and lime. This is a great wit smell.

Taste- Reminiscent of thai food with tastes of lemongrass, and basil. Very clean and fresh tasting. There is a certain spiciness to this beer that I find very intresting. The bitterness compliments this beer perfectly. You would think this beer is sweet by its smell by that is not so. This is not your typical wit.

Mouthfeel- Very crisp and fresh. Stingy carbonation.

Drinkability- This is good stuff. The best wit I have ever had. I couldn't think of anything better to drink on a hot summer day.

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Ok, for starters great white I believe will be in my top 3 all time favorites! I have been drinking great white for many years now. I have drank it in the cafe in eureka, bars in my home town, bottles in my garage.

Appearance is great, nice yellow with a smooth head that goes down fast.

Smells of citrus nicely but not too overwhelming.

the taste was great! i loved it from the start, the citrus is great flavor but not over whelming. went down very smooth with not too long lasting alcohol taste.

I would give this a better drinkability review do to the fact that i cant ever just have one of these. working in my garage I found myself drinking alot more of them then I should. Great white goes awesome with spicy foods! I believe great white is the pringles of beers. once you pop you cant stop! great beer!

4.48/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What can I say, I'm a summer beer guy and this one doesn't disapoint! Great label, light and easy to drink. This is a great beer to enjoy on a hot summer evening with a few 'blonde' friends! One of my summer favorites. Try both with and without an orange/lemon slice!

4.48/5  rDev +32.9%

Move over Jaws there is a new shark in town! Great White is the perfect summer bbq beer. The pale golden color and amazing taste made me an instant fan after my first one. It has a nice citrus smell with a hint of what i think is vanilla and it goes down smooth. Go out grab some and have a bbq with your friends,you wont regret it.

4.39/5  rDev +30.3%

Poured from bottle. Marginal head that slowly dissapates to nothing. I was surprised by the transparency of it, because it calls itself a Begium style white beer it should be opaque like apple cider. Still, it retains the richness and citrus/spiced background of a white.

S: Citrus, spices

A: Translucent; slight yeast settling on the bottom of the glass due to being unfiltered.

T: Very rich; full of citrus and spices.

M & D: As stated on the package "Seemingly a contradiction in terms, the Great White Beer has a full-bodied mouth feel, yet is suprisingly light to drink." I drank 2 full glasses in the time it took me to write this 10 minute review.

Perfect spring/summer brew.

4.35/5  rDev +29.1%

I enjoy this beer, I buy 6 pack bottles from Binnys or Woodmans. It is even better on tap.
Nice poor, very light head. This beer is unfiltered but not cloudy. It has a plesent light malt and fruity smell. Very smooth and refreshing. I taste wonderful spring water, light spices and citrus. I would personally highly recommend this beer. If you like even more fruit flavor then try the tangerine beer by lost coast. My wife likes that one.

4.3/5  rDev +27.6%

Appearance is slightly cloudy but brilliant yellow with a lively off-white head. Aroma is full of fruity esters like orange, lemon, peach, mango and then some bread dough like yeastiness and finally some fresh herbs like basil. Very complex. Taste...mmm...kind of like a summer meadow in a glass. Fruits, flowers, herbs, and yes, some maltiness, too. Just enough hop bitterness to balance any sweetness. Despite all the esters it's not a very sweet beer and actually finishes semi-dry for a very thirst quenching pint. I've had this now from the bottle and on tap at their little brewpub. It's outrageously delicious on tap and the brewpub has the best grub in town. A bit more subdued in the bottle but definately worth seeking out.

4.3/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Unsure why this gets so low of ratings.

The feel, namely the carbonation is a bit off (low), but the taste and smell of the beer are a great example of the style. While its no award winner, its a solid Wit that should be given a shot, and great for a hot day.

4.3/5  rDev +27.6%

Tucson summers are miserably dehydrating. This beer is refreshing and won't leave a dry feeling in your mouth that an IPA or pale ale will this time or year. The appearance is slightly cloudy showing it hasn't been filtered to death and the aroma that of any good wheat beer. I find myself enjoying a lot of this lately!

4.27/5  rDev +26.7%

A: Pours golden yellow. A bit lighter than I generally am into, but not too light. Finger and a half thick foamy white head dissipates quickly, leaving minimal lacing.

S: Florals, fruits, and spice. A little citrus hoppiness, but the malts are what really shows through here.

T: Apples, with a few flowery notes. Finish is all about the bready malts with a slight citric bite. Actually very pleasant, and I generally do not like sweet beers at all.

M: Medium body. Dry, but the sweetness sort of counteracts that. The carbonation is light, but strong enough to make its presence felt and tickle the tongue a bit.

D: I don't think I would make this a regular session beer just because it's probably a bit too sweet for that. But it's still something I will come back to every now and then.

4.27/5  rDev +26.7%

I really like this wheat beer. This light unfiltered beer poured a hazy light straw gold in color with no foam. The smell was of a malty aroma with a hint of wheat. The flavor of barley malts, wheat and spice was very well balanced. The combination of malts, wheat and spice with a hint of a spritzy citrus at the end made this wheat beer a pleasant quincher. A nice bitter/sweet/tangy finish. The aroma and taste reminded me of a Belgium Style Ale!

4.24/5  rDev +25.8%

Definately a nice whitbier...
Pours a pale cloudy yellow with a smallish head for a whit....nice lacing, however.
Aroma is sweet malt and corriander...a little bit of bread...but not heavy yeast or hop intrusions and no banana esters.
The tongue is hit with the sweetness at first then a lightly biting hop and then wheat spicyness.
Aftertaste is dry and sweet without being cloying
Mouthfeel is tingly with the carbonation and pepper like wheat spiciness.
An excellent summer cooler

4.22/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a cloudy yellow with more than an inch of foamy head that dissipated quickly leaving no head.

Wonderful spice and fruit aromas greet the nose, with that distinct wheat aroma also present. The flavors of orange peel and coriander are noticeable, as they should be for the style, but not over powering.

The body is slightly better than average for the style. The drinkability on this excellent. This is one of my favorite go-to summer beers and a good change of pace from the heavier beers of winter.

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance: Typical witbier appearance, Golden yellow with nice white head

Smell: Coriander, citrus, spice

Taste: Belgian wit - citrus, coriander, melon, honeydew

Mouthfeel: light and thin - not water - not chewy.

Drinkability: Very drinkable - good session wit. I would love to try this on draft.

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

12 oz bottle, served in a Pilsner glass.

A - hazy, golden color with a nice white head that thinned to a layer, leaving some bits of lace.

S - nice citrus aroma with a hint of spice.

T - good citrus/spice flavor.

M - light bodied, good carbonation.

D - highly drinkable, good tasting witbier

4.18/5  rDev +24%

poured a very smooth peachy white into a weizen glass, obviously unfiltered. moderate carbonation. not much more than half a fingers worth of a head on this one. Very attractive in the glass.

Smell is pleasant and wheaty, there is a bit of sweetness to it.

Great refreshing taste with obvious wheat notes, very earthy with a nice hoppiness that I enjoy in witbier. I noticed that as it warmed a bit towards the end it had some of the sweetness that is detectable in the nose. highly flavorful body.

I was pretty impressed overall, and found it quite tasty and fairly drinkable, which i'm learning is routinely the case for Lost Coast offerings.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to one of the customers in the Sherbrooke beer cooler for giving me a bottle of this from the 6 pack that he bought. Hey, beer folk are great generous people!

Cloudy apricot hue in appearance, one finger of white head that settles quickly.

Quite malty for a wit in the aroma, some green apple, mild phenols, then the wheat tends to appear followed by light fruit.

The flavour is where the real party begins, wheat quickly joined by floral and light fruit notes, a curious sweet herbal blend, crisp dry finish. No real aftertaste. Totally reminds me of Edelweiss Snowfresh.

Mouthfeel is light, rounded at first, with pinprick carbonation on the finish.

A great, unassuming wit, nice twist in the flavour profile from the norm, a decent quencher that would make an excellent sessional. I'm grateful for the one I was given and will have to pick up some more.

4.1/5  rDev +21.7%

The beer pours a hazy pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a very pleasant wheat scent with a fruity yeast aroma. It seems quite citrusy. The taste is good. It has a refreshing dry wheat flavor with a fruity yeast finish. It goes down very easy and finishes a bit tart on the tongue. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a damn fine wit. It has wonderful aroma and flavor; a great summer brew.

4.07/5  rDev +20.8%

an old classic that i've drank on and off for years.

appearance: i've always poured this beer into a pint glass, which now that i think about it wrong for style, but seems right for this beer. a hazy but not too cloudy yellow-orange color. the head fades very fast and is soon gone. no lacing.

smell: nice smooth smelling malts, and some spice. none of the normal belgian yeasts are here, but the sweet coriander is quite nice.

taste: tasty. the smooth malts dominate with a nice coriander finish. it's on the sweeter side of things but not cloying. very nice american verison of the style

drinkability: a very good summertime quaffer. super easy to drink, this makes great bbq or poolside beer. enough flavor to keep things interesting.

4.05/5  rDev +20.2%

This is a very unique beer, unlike other witbiers.
A: Nice cloudy gold color with a decent head with some lace
S: Very fruity and wheaty, with some spices
T: I have never tasted a beer like this before, completely unique, but very fruity and extremely spicey
MF: Nice medium body, very clean finish, good aftertaste
D: I could drink alot of these puppies before getting sick of it
I highly recommend a trial of this beer, it is too unique to pass up

4.04/5  rDev +19.9%

This is a new beer for me so I'm giving you my first impression.

The pour resulted in a nice white head of fine foam that generated about two fingers worth of depth. The color of the ale was pale yellow, almost straw-like in color and there was only a slight amount of haze for this style of beer.

The aroma was of cereal grain, fresh citrus which was predominantly lemon.

The flavor had a nice up-front citrus bite with a wheat backbone. There was some bready yeast flavor and a pleasant twang on the tongue to finish.

The mouthfeel was light and crisp which is what one would expect from a witbier. This would make a fine session beer at only 4.8%abv.

The drinkability was excellent. A pleasant refreshing flavor that was mild but unmistakably "fresh." Definitely a beer that won't weight you down with too much flavor.

I'd definitely do this one again!

4.02/5  rDev +19.3%

I remember drinking this beer early in my craft experimental days probably around 2006. Before I knew about styles I remember enjoying this. Nearly 10yrs later and a total beer geek I can say this is a great representation of the style. This beer is way too low rated for what it is and I bet with the new fad of session beers being the buzz this beer will only start moving the needle higher on reviews.

Great White from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe