Great White - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Great WhiteGreat White

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-20-2001)

1.5/5  rDev -55.9%

1.5/5  rDev -55.9%

Live review. Poured from the 10th Anniversary Willoughby Brewing Company growler that I bought for $9.99 at World Wines & Liquor in Mentor this afternoon into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A Fluffy white meringue like head that is too brief over a translucent yellow boring looking body although there are nice streams of bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass. Really the look is underwhelming. 2.0

S Distant light malt and wheat grains. The smell is thin and distant. 2.0

T An off-putting soapy like grain presence predominates. Missing would be the nice Belgian yeast with wheat goodness of an average Witbier. I guess the off-putting taste is from the wheat grains and yeast but it is not good. I am not impressed. 2.0

M Thin but too thin for the style. 2.0

D/O Not very good drinkability due to the less than inspiring taste even though the ABV would allow for repeated pints. 2.0

Notes: Dissapointed with this one after my positive experience with Lost Coast Indica on tap at the store earlier. I guess you win some and you lose some. This beer is not good.

2.08/5  rDev -38.8%

2.15/5  rDev -36.8%

This beer smells like bartenders piss and it tastes like what I would imagine budwieser does if you accidentally drop vanilla in it.

There is nothing at all good or pleasant about this
libation. Do yourself a favor and skip this pour for something you won't regret!

2.15/5  rDev -36.8%

Before becoming more familiar with beer and developing a pallet, this beer was enjoyable and refreshing. However, that has all changed. There is too much tangerine and spices added the beer, giving it a poor aftertaste. Color is a bit cloudy. All these aspects make this beer sub par. Overall an alright beer but not one I would actively choose.

2.17/5  rDev -36.2%

Serving Glass: Poured from bottle into white wine glass.

Appearance: Cloudy pale yellow with thin white head.

Smell: Sweet wheat, some citrus and grassiness.

Taste: Tastes like overly sweet wheat. Citrus is light and the spiciness is close to nonexistent. Claims there is coriander; not sure I believe it. Horribly unbalanced.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, light body, not at all dry.

Overall: Simply not a good Witbier

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

I originally sampled this beer on 26 January 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
I was very disappointed in this beer. It completely lacked the crispness I like in a wheat. In fact it was a bit watery, in my opinion. I can't recommend this beer to anyone.

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

I was very pleased to find a local liqour store with a few craft brews. A few different styles from Lost Coast Brewery and a few others. Being a fan of their Downtown Brown I picked up a 22 oz bomber of Great White...

The beer poured a clear pale straw color with a decent head, but left no lacing. It seemed to be well carbonated.
The smell was very faint, but sweet and cidery.
I know the label claimed to be citrussy adn contain corriander, but all I could taste was a peachy-pear flavor. The label boasted Beer with Natural Flavors," but it seemed almost like the flavor was mixed in after the brew was made, much like making Koolaid. I was eager for a little corriander spice, but found none. The label also recomended swirling the last bit of beer in the bottle and pouring to get a flavorful yeast in your glass... This may have helped tone down the sweetness, but still didn't do much for me.
The mouthfeel was okay. Maybe a bit syruppy, but with a decent amount of carbonation.
To me this beer is not a very drinkable brew. The taste just doesn't do it for me, and it reminds me of something that would give you a killer hangover in the morning. Some may like that fruity taste, but I wanted a beer not a fruit punch. I will however, not shy away from trying other brews by Lost Coast.

Great White from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe