Great White - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Great WhiteGreat White

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-20-2001

Live review. Poured from the 10th Anniversary Willoughby Brewing Company growler that I bought for $9.99 at World Wines & Liquor in Mentor this afternoon into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A Fluffy white meringue like head that is too brief over a translucent yellow boring looking body although there are nice streams of bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass. Really the look is underwhelming. 2.0

S Distant light malt and wheat grains. The smell is thin and distant. 2.0

T An off-putting soapy like grain presence predominates. Missing would be the nice Belgian yeast with wheat goodness of an average Witbier. I guess the off-putting taste is from the wheat grains and yeast but it is not good. I am not impressed. 2.0

M Thin but too thin for the style. 2.0

D/O Not very good drinkability due to the less than inspiring taste even though the ABV would allow for repeated pints. 2.0

Notes: Dissapointed with this one after my positive experience with Lost Coast Indica on tap at the store earlier. I guess you win some and you lose some. This beer is not good. (1,089 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -35.7%

This beer smells like bartenders piss and it tastes like what I would imagine budwieser does if you accidentally drop vanilla in it.

There is nothing at all good or pleasant about this
libation. Do yourself a favor and skip this pour for something you won't regret! (268 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -35.7%

Before becoming more familiar with beer and developing a pallet, this beer was enjoyable and refreshing. However, that has all changed. There is too much tangerine and spices added the beer, giving it a poor aftertaste. Color is a bit cloudy. All these aspects make this beer sub par. Overall an alright beer but not one I would actively choose. (345 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -34.2%

Serving Glass: Poured from bottle into white wine glass.

Appearance: Cloudy pale yellow with thin white head.

Smell: Sweet wheat, some citrus and grassiness.

Taste: Tastes like overly sweet wheat. Citrus is light and the spiciness is close to nonexistent. Claims there is coriander; not sure I believe it. Horribly unbalanced.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, light body, not at all dry.

Overall: Simply not a good Witbier (422 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -32.1%

I was very pleased to find a local liqour store with a few craft brews. A few different styles from Lost Coast Brewery and a few others. Being a fan of their Downtown Brown I picked up a 22 oz bomber of Great White...

The beer poured a clear pale straw color with a decent head, but left no lacing. It seemed to be well carbonated.
The smell was very faint, but sweet and cidery.
I know the label claimed to be citrussy adn contain corriander, but all I could taste was a peachy-pear flavor. The label boasted Beer with Natural Flavors," but it seemed almost like the flavor was mixed in after the brew was made, much like making Koolaid. I was eager for a little corriander spice, but found none. The label also recomended swirling the last bit of beer in the bottle and pouring to get a flavorful yeast in your glass... This may have helped tone down the sweetness, but still didn't do much for me.
The mouthfeel was okay. Maybe a bit syruppy, but with a decent amount of carbonation.
To me this beer is not a very drinkable brew. The taste just doesn't do it for me, and it reminds me of something that would give you a killer hangover in the morning. Some may like that fruity taste, but I wanted a beer not a fruit punch. I will however, not shy away from trying other brews by Lost Coast. (1,301 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -31.5%

I originally sampled this beer on 26 January 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
I was very disappointed in this beer. It completely lacked the crispness I like in a wheat. In fact it was a bit watery, in my opinion. I can't recommend this beer to anyone. (266 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Hardly any head when poured, but I wasn't really expecting much. Slightly yellow in color, almost looks like some cheap adjuct style lager or something, but just barely more interesting then that.

S- Faint citrus, lemony smell. Smell is very faint and not much going on there.

T- Tastes like a mild hefeweizen almost. A very mild taste. It's very bland overall. Not much going on taste wise.

M- It's mildly refreshing, and not dry. Carbonation works for the it, but is fairly faint. Very light tasting otherwise.

O- Definitely won't buy this again. Price wise, there is no reason why this beer should cost what it does. Feel like the quality is just not there. (670 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -31.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pale, mildly hazy yellow. One finger of head quickly dissipates, leaving minimal lacing.

S: faint grassy and wheat aromas.

T: Not as charismatic as I had hoped. Wheat and apple flavors up front and almost nothing follows.

For almost $9.00/six-pack, I'll spend my money elsewhere. (333 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I'm going to forgo the usual format for reviewing beers, because this is going to be brief and to-the-point. This beer is just plain underwhelming. As I poured it into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass, the nice faint orange haze and lively carbonation was a promising start. Little did I know just how quickly things would turn. Very thin, watery. Malts barely surface. Coriander and some "secret blend" of herbs? Not detectable on the nose or palate. Lost Coast categorizes this to be a wheat beer, but it goes down like a summer ale gone horribly wrong. The 1.5 mark for drinkability isn't an exaggeration. I can't remember the last time that I refused to finish off a sixer of anything that I purchased... until Great White. (726 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -30.7%

A- Golden sunlight with dust particles, it poured slightly cloudy. ½ inch head which left little lacing, with large bubble carbonation.

S- Very light, slight and pale. Smells like a fresh summer breeze with lightly earthy and lemon grass.

T- Not as well built as I would have hoped. A little tart with some lemon zest or orange rind hints. Not the Witbier I would have expected.

M- Very light, watery with a very American taste. It was smooth but not overly crisp or clean.

D- An "OK" beer that is most likely better suited for warm summer days. I would defiantly drink one if offered however this is overshadowed by many similar beers, and due to this I would not buy another. (684 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -30.7%

This has most of what I don't like in witbiers and none of what I do like.

Light, faintly hazy starw yellow, it has a medium white head steadily shrinking to a lasting thin foamy top. It leaves a little decent lace.

The aroma is mostly like a nice basic pale lager with grain and herbal hops, but with the orange and spice and a little fruit later.

The taste is mostly just orange zest and orange cleaning chemicals. It has a hint of spices and herbs, a hint of lemon, and a very faint hint of grain. It's sweet up front followed by a mild, lingering chemically perfumy orange-cleaner bitterness that's sticky and lingering. It's reasonably easy to drink, at least at first, but the orange element is very tiresome. (720 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours a strangely transparant, headless pale yellow color into my pilsner glass. The only thing obscuring my vision is the steady traffic of carbonation bubbles on their way to not reinforce the invisible head. Nose is also a bit off; it has wheat, it has spice, but it also has a vague noxious graininess that takes a bit away from the appeal.

Wow. something's not right here in the taste either. Broad, sweeping citrus and wheat flavors but something unidentified is making me wince as I sip it and I'm considering not finishing it. It's some kind of artificial tasting late breaking yeast note that just stops me in my tracks. Mouthfeel is fine but this one definitely does not agree with me and I won't be trying it again. (730 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured into a stemmed pils glass it forms a frothy white head that leaves some sliding ring lace. Hazed up unfiltered body has large sized carbonation. Gold body.

This seems more like an American Wheat beer than a wit but it still fits in somewhat because of the spices. The drying wheat presence is countered by a slightly spiced backend, mainly coriander but there is some lemon rind as well. Husky at times and the grain portion is just bland. This has an adjucnt feel to it and the carbonation looks and feels forced.

Notes: Not a big fan of this one. Not a big fan of the brewery in general. 8 ball stout is decent but thats where it ends in my opinion. Looks decent but I'll pass on this. (701 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -27.7%

This beer pours a pale yellow with a thick white head. Smell is citrus, and I guess coriander based upon the other reviews (don't really know what coriander smells like though). The taste is okay, the citrus although muted is fairly dominant. Wheat beers really aren't my favorite style. This beer is okay, I'm not likely to buy it again, but it's probably worth a try. (369 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -27.4%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Clear bright yellow in color with a little bit of white head that leaves little lacing.

Smell: Citrus (lemon) smell, but more of a medicinal type smell then from an actual lemon. Almost reminds me a little of lemon smelling cleaners but not quite as powerful.

Taste: When you first take a sip it is a very powerful amount of lemon (artificial). Then that fades away to the slightly sweet and a little bit yeasty flavors from some light beers.

Note: Not at all what I was expecting from a white beer and I have to say I was a little disappointed. (609 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -26.5%

Golden yellow color, head quickly disappears, leaving a thin film and lacing, not too exciting.

The aroma that first tickles my olfactory nerve is not entirely pleasant. There is an obvious orange peel smell coupled with spice and something that resembles dirty socks. Perhaps even a hint of rotten eggs, but it is probably from the combination of malts, hops and spices.

The body is somewhat thin and dry, lacking in richness and the taste is pretty much the same as the smell. Orange peel, some spice and not much more. It is far from inspiring and I will probably stay away from this one unless I have to, or someone hands me a bottle. Turning down a beer is always alcohol abuse in my book. (697 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- Pours a sort of dark, clear straw color with practically no head or lacing. Not real impressive.

Aroma- Light and fruity with a bit of corriander. I think I am getting a little canned corn in there to.

Tastes-Some nice flroal hops in there. Bit of the old canned corn in the after-taste tho.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is actually pretty good. A nice acidic bite on the tip of the tounge and lips, low-medium body.

Drinkability-Not real impressed. Can't get past the canned corn. (503 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

Golden body, hazy, topped by a level finger of white micro foam, which dissipates quickly. The gold seems to lose one luster as the beer settles, which seems counter intuitive.

Picked up some spice in the aroma as soon as the cap was popped. Aroma features wheat, citrus, coriander, yeast.

There's a splash of wheat and lemon on the tongue, then a bizarre dead spot. Then a nip of spiciness, that limps into the aftertaste. Wits should be light, but there is just not enough flavor here for any kind of interest.

Light mouthfeel that could use a bit more carbonation.

Barely more flavor than Coors Light. Give it a pass. (624 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -25.3%

Pours a cloudy orange/yellow with a small white head that quickly disappears.

Aroma is quite sour & stinky. Not very appealing at all.

Flavor borders on the skunkiness found in the aroma and a slightly boring, corn-like beer.

Mouthful is light and slightly foamy.

Drinkability is passable due to lightness of flavors, but a bit skunky. Not very enjoyable. (367 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -24.4%

22 oz bottle, bottled Jan 05.

Secret blend of Humbolt herbs? The only herbs they grow in humbolt that I know of will cause you to fail a piss test, so I hope it’s not that. lol
Pours out hazy cloudy orangy yellow, with a big fluffy white head.
Head dies rather quickly and leaves spotty lacing.

Aroma is very light, lemony sweet and a little yeast.

Flavor is light as well. Tiny bit of citrus and a hint of dustiness and wheat.

Finish is short and clean.
O.K beer, I would drink this if you gave me one but I wouldn’t hunt it down. (552 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from the bottle into a shaker pint.

Cloudy and pale straw yellow in color. A merengue-like, one-finger head is fluffy, sticky and retentive. It lingers forever atop the liquid, making it look good.

The nose: orange and lemon peel, coriander and lots of crackers. There’s not a ton of fruitiness, and there’s a solvent character to it that gives the impression of wood cleaner.

I pinpointed it: Lemon Pledge. The flavor is awash in it, along with lighter notes of coriander and crackers. The finish is clean and slightly dry finish.

Light-bodied and moderately fizzy, with a crisp and slightly drying finish.

There are very few beers I won’t finish, but this is one. I couldn’t get away from the feeling I was drinking air freshener. Blech. (762 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured into a wheat beer glass. Head is typical for an American wheat beer, which means it is about a half inch. A far cry from the masterful Germans. Color is a pilsner-like transparent gold. No real lacing to speak of.

Aroma - very bland. No esters, no wheat.

Taste - follows the smell...not much. Not offensive and easy drinking, just not a lot going on.

Mouthfeel is nice and light, with adequate carbonation for the style. Less carbonation than a Hoegaarden (what I consider the benchmark for a Belgian Wit) and certainly less than a German Hefeweizen.

Overall this is OK. Better than macro swill, but friends are telling me my home-brewed wheat beer is more complex and enjoyable. (694 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured into a stemless wine glass from a 12 oz amber bottle.

Poured a crystal clear pale straw color with little head of coarse bubbles.

Smell was earthy, faint citrus, not fresh or crisp.

Flavor was earthy, bland. Mouthfeel was alright, typical for the style.

Drinkability was OK, but would not bother to try it again. (331 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a short pilsner glass. No freshness date.

A: Hazy golden color with short but steady white head with minimal lacing.

S: Barely any aroma -- faint spices like coriander and clove and none of the pleasant wheat tanginess.

T: Mainly crisp and clean and reminds me more of a decent American wheat beer. Light wheat flavor of the vapory, ethereal quality with more assertive bitterness to leave it dry in the finish. Not sure if this is due to hops or "Humboldt herbs" used during brewing.

M: Clean, crisp and dry with grainy aftertaste.

D: Nothing objectionable but not really worth much of a look. Easy drinking but not much else going on. Not really a witbier in my opinion. (712 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -22.6%

Tap@ Lost Coast. Smelt OK, lots of aroma. unfortunately it was a bit sweet. Heaps of lemon icing sugar (thanks pogo), too sweet and tart, with nothing to back it up, finishes short. yeah, too sweet, has a nice full body, but it is sweet, so it makes it a little cloying, and the flavour comes across as a touch artificial (even though it most probably isn't) (358 characters)

Great White from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe