Indica India Pale Ale - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Reviews: 563 | Hads: 1,162
4.92/5  rDev +29.1%

a nice cloudy orange color with a nice white head that fades slowly. The smell is a wonderful array of hops that lingers in the glass. With the sweetness of the malts it leads into the taste nicely. the citrus and floral notes come across really nicely on the palate and combined with the wonderful crisp mouthfeel creates one hell of a beer. (342 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured it out of a 12oz brown bottle with pry off cap into a large hour glass shaped beer glass. No freshness date or ABV on the label that I could find. $7.99 for a six pack from Chubb’s Liquor Store.

It poured into the glass with out much of a head. The head was small and white but the pour did produce plenty of carbonation.

At first glance it was a dark copper looking color but when held up to the light it looks to me more of a cloudy burned orange amber.

This has a very pleasant fruity taste with a nice balance of green hops and a hint of malt. Over all a nice mix.

The carbonation and balance of sweet and bitter hops felt very good in my mouth and is very drinkable and no strong alcohol bite. I bet this would go good with “American style Chinese food”. You could drink quite a few of these and be ready for more a short time later.

I thought it was a bit pricey but I will buy more and if I find a sale I will buy it up!

Cheers (950 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +24.1%

This beer, produced by Lost Coast in Eureka, California, was recommended to me by my beer supplier (Shangy's - look it up on here). For weeks, I would go in there and ask him for a really good, flavorful, and hoppy IPA. He says, "haven't I told you about Indica?" He did, but I talked myself out of it. Shame on me. This is, by far, the best IPA I have ever had - which was previously reserved for the Pyramid IPA, also from California. This brew pours out a beautiful dark copper-amber color. The aroma is indicative of what an IPA should be: very aromatic and hoppy on the nose. It has a head that is not lacey and not too heady, just enough from start to finish. The first sip told me I was on the steps of heaven. The hops slowly increase as you continue to savor this brew. By the bottom of the glass, the aroma is still apparent, and I had the feeling I had just participated in something of a higher-calling of something. Seriously though, this is my favorite IPA, hands down. And I still have 23 more to savor! Bottoms Up! (1,044 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Bomber into pub pint glass

L- hazy dark orange with good quick receding head, decent lacing and a white cap that stays with the beer

S- strong floral, some fruit (possibly stone fruit). I think it's a very great aroma

T- floral, some fruit, and maybe slightly herbal with a mild bitter after taste

M- average mouth feel, not thin, not thick, but average with mild carbonation

O- I think it's an awesome beer, i wish I had tried it sooner but I never heard of the brand so I held off. Today I finally took the leap and I'm glad I did. Awesome beer especially for the <$5 price of a craft brew (596 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This rating is for the on-tap version fresh from the Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe in Eureka, CA. This is my very favorite offering from this brewer. This may be partly because I am an IPA fan, but keep in mind this is also what I am most critical of.

It pours a beautiful orange color with a white head that lasts a long time and leaves rings of lacing as it settles. The nose is spicy, with citrus, hops, and carmel. Mouthfeel is very clean and smooth. It really tastes good going down and has an exceptional finish.

Flavors are as the aromas, just more intense. IPA's are tricky, and I see lots of brewers going over the top with too much hops. This one is in balance! It is really good to drink if you like this style, as I do. (737 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Color is darker amber nice and hazy with a nice off white head that leaves lots of lace down my glass. Love the color beats the hell out of pale IPA's in my book.
Aroma is great lots of hops citrus mixed with a touch of pine cones, man got to love dry hopping. All of this on a nice caramel malt background wonderful smelling beer, a touch more malt would be a 5 for sure.
Taste is wonderflu also caramel malt hardly have time to taste the malt and the hops hit full flavored grapefruit rind, orange peel with a touch of pine maybe even hints of floral. Malt is strong enough to support all the hops, not much malt flavor but hops not out of balance either, perfect amount of carbonation and balance in my book.
Mouthfeel is solid medium, carbonation is perfection for this beer.
Drinability is great one of the best regular IPA's availblein my humble opinon. Also one of those beers I have had several times pre BA that I thought was great can remember the aroma from more then two years ago. But once on BA never tried again because always something at store I had not had, always meant to buy and review but never did :( I can see buying more of this next time in Knoxville or Boone lovley beer. (1,208 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +20.2%

12/13/04- Purchased at Jackson's Wine and Spirit's in Lafayette, CA

Presentation- 12 oz bottle with no expiration date. Poured into my Englander pint glass..again!

Appearance- About the best looking IPA I have ever seen. An incredibly huge head, at least 2 inches. A nice cloudy golden honey-like color. Lacing beyond awesome. My whole glass was still caked after I finished.

Smell- Above average scent with nice hops scents of pine, and grapefruit. Also and heavy carmel malt scent.

Taste- Nice and hoppy with the above scents coming in the taste also.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly creamy and well carbonated.

Drinkability- One of the best IPA's I have had. Very very drinkable. (691 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

A butter-cream colored head rises fast and dense, aggressively asserting itself on the pour. Gauze-like lacing drapes the glass.

Color is deep, stoic amber.

Smell is of spicy hops and a muted malt pulse in the background.

Complex burst of hops shimmer from the beginning of the taste and hold on through the finish. Somewhere in the middle a spiciness -- cloves, fermented grapefruit juice -- reaches out.

Mouthfeel is dense, creamy, almost chewy, and serves as a solid canvas for the over-drive of blessed hop bitterness.

This is the most consistently pleasing west coast IPA I've tried. One of my favorites. And I'm blessed to live only a few blocks away from the brewery, where I bought a case (bottles with screwed up labels) on the cheap. (758 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - The bottle shows a Picasso-esque Ganesh with lop-sided eyes sitting on what looks to be one of the chairs that my mom has on her front porch. Amber/orange with a fat two finger head of off-white foam. Butt loads of lace sticks to the glass and drys up into a nice spiderweb of crusty arcs. This one is semi-hazy and copper when not in direct light.

S - A really sweet and biscuity (Gran's pre-rolled biscuits that come in a tube), with an earthy, almost dirty undertone. The hops aren't really at the forefront here. Its more about the thick bready malt...like the sweet-bread that some sub shops use on their sandwiches. More and more hops come out with warmth, and get fruitier as the beer approaches room temp.

T - Still really biscuity, but the hops come out more in the flavor. Sweet and firm malt backbone supports some really gritty hop flavors that remind me of that weird starfruit that you can buy at good grocery stores. There is some bitter grapefruit twinges, and the malt/hop profile is nearly perfectly balanced. Bittersweet.

M - Fine stinging carbonation mellows within a second in my mouth to become full bodied, oily, and gritty. Leaves a nice coating of hop oils on my teeth after swallowing, and the hoppy aftertaste lasts forever.

D - This is an outstandingly balanced IPA! It's got the prerequisite hops, but the balancing malts are really tasty and gritty. This is a damn fine brew. Not the hoppiest IPA ever, but very drinkable! (1,460 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%

Pours a dark amber, almost brown color with lots of yeasties and a good tane head that leaved some nice lacing. Sweet maltiness is strong in the aroma as the hops are somewhat subdued. Taste starts off creamy and sweet before taking a nice bitter turn. Hops linger on the tongue leaving a preview of what is to come in the next sip. Hops lean a bit towards the Paqcific Northwest variety and impart some floral and citrusy flavor, but they aren't overly done. Creamy, but not quite as crisp and dry as I like an IPA to be, but still very drinkable. Very nice brew right here. Great balance between the sweet maltiness and bitter hoppiness. Excellent example of the style. (679 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A darker than expected roasted chestnut color, hints of ruby along the edges. Visually impressive, reminds me of the Moylans Double IPA. For that reason it warrants a 5. Creamy dense, sticky bubbly beige head.
Full on aromas of citrus, grapefruit tartness, with cascade hop presence. Very very impressive. First taste is sticky on the lips with hop resins, and smooth smooth smooth carmel malt underneath a bitter cheek puckering hop shot in the mouth. Zesty, charged hop presence, then to finish a slight oily, almost chocolate malt taste on the finish. Just enough to intrigue. Medium bodied, perfectly balanced. A wow IPA from Lost Coast, a hidden gem among all the big west coast brewers. I really like this one. Got 2 bottles recently, then went back for more last night, and much to my surprise a certain toothman up the road has bought 2 cases. He was nice enough to leave me a six pack.
Paging the Belgianbum,paging the Belgianbum. (943 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

Muddy brown with huge puffy head, the texture and durability much like what you get from a cask conditioned ale. On first try, I absolutely loved this beer and it reminded me of 3 Floyds Alpha King in the fruitiness of the hop flavor combined with the sweetness of the big malts. On subsequent tastes, my enthusiasm has tempered a bit but this is still a very good beer. Lots of chewy, juicy hop flavors, mostly of the fruity citric kind, and great dark malts that are not too roasty but more bread and biscuity. The mouthfeel is flawless; this brewery has got their bottle conditioning down as good as or better than any other brewery you could care to name. Let this one warm up a bit from fridge temperature before you enjoy it. I'm not generally a huge fan of West Coast IPAs (many of them are just too extremely bitter) but this one is really good. (853 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

This is everything you would expect from a west coast American IPA. The IBUs are a little higher than other examples in the style. But not over the top - hop taste is citrusy and piney - earthy. Very good balance of hop and malt. The color is cloudy, amber and when poured into a pint glass, you have a nice 1/2" head that lasts a while. There is a thin lace on the glass. All in all, a very good IPA. I will go for this one again. (431 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

12oz bottle purchased as a single somewhere in VA, one of many things gathered at either Vienna Whole Foods, Norm's, or Westpark Wine & Beer.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" chunky tan head over the brown brew, which seems dark for the style, but that's ok. Head exhibits good staying power, and excellent lacing. Aroma is fruity, citrusy, piney hops, which is just as it should be. Taste is pretty sweet for an AIPA, but the hops kick it in pretty quick. A bit over the top on the hops bitterness, but that's pretty much what we expected here as well. All in all, tastes different from the norm, but they work here. Mouthfeel and drinkability both great, an excellent representative of the style. (717 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Wow what a great beer. At first I was surprised by the very dark amber color, but a gorgeous creamy full head formed on top and stayed till the "bitter" end with perfect Belgian lacing. The label says this IPA is "radically hopped" and the aroma lives up to that promise - both citrusy and pine-like with perhaps a shade of English hops thrown in. The taste is a perfect balance of the intense bitterness required for the style and a nice caramel sweetness from the malt. The tang of hop bitterness stays with you without being overpowering. This is a very drinkable beer for those who want the octane of high alpha acids without the sometimes cloying maltiness American IPAs possess. (687 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Obtained through a trade with GClarkage. The first one on my portion of the trade that I tried.

This one was a deep, hazy amber with a two finger rocky foam.

Aroma was of citrusy hops, some slightly sweet malt, and a touch of caramel.

The taste surprised me. There was a strong malt backbone that hit me first, then a wallop of citrusy bittering hops. Wow.

Excellent mouthfeel, nice and not too chewy, and I would try this again were it available in my area. (470 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Cloudy, copper color with a rocky off white head that is mountainous, rocky and laces completely. Whoa baby! what an inviting appearance.

Citrus hops dominate, they smell like high quality hops. Its like the difference between a round steak and a ribeye. They are both from a cow but one is cheap and made for the masses. These are some kick ass hops. Malts are there enough to give it a sweet side, this smells like honey is a faint factor.

Didn't come accross as a hop bomb at all which is nice. Had some balance to it. YES! the citrus hops are strong and dominate but there is a lot of earthy malts that sneak past this torrid attack on the palate. Incredibly bitter towards the end to the point of puckering. Lingering aftertaste takes down my need for immediate consumption. A bit dry and numbing mouthfeel.

Notes: This is one hell of a fine IPA and the best I've had in quite some time. The smell is absolutely glorious. It smells more balanced than it actually translates to in the taste but still a spectacle. Must try...Must try now. (1,051 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +17.1%

I am sampling a 12 oz stubby bottle poured at cellar temp into a pint glass. The beer is a clear amber color with several streams of carbonation rising to the surface. A creamy, marshmallowy, eggshell white head foams up about 1 cm and rests effortlessly on the surface. Very nice appearance!
Aroma is citrusy hops and some pine sap and general hop notes. First sip reveals an average to lite body with fizzy fine carbonation. Texture is smooth.
Flavor is caramel and general malt for a bit and rolls to hoppy citrus rind notes and fairly bitter bite. Not super astringent like aspirin, but bitey and lingering pine sap in my mouth. Fairly sticky on the finish.
No hint of ABV anywhere. A well crafted IPA that is what it should be and while hoppy isnt a total palate killer. (775 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +17.1%

I’ve drooled over the reviews of Lost Coast beers for a good time now, I was shocked to find them available all the way from isolated Eureka, CA in Knoxville, TN. I get good vibes from the stubby bottle before I even open it. BIG head on the pour, so much as I have to stop half way through and let things calm down. Before pouring I actually noticed a lot of chunks hanging out in the bottom of the bottle, when the head finally recedes enough to let me finish the pour I make no attempts to keep them there. The dimpled head exceeds the constraints of the pint glass giving it that “ice-cream float” effect, one of my favorite sights on this earth. The body is noticeably darker than other beers of the style, almost a ruddy light-brown, the chunks hang in suspension as if they were floating in a gelatinous substance, I swear if I shake it, the glass moves but the chunks remain stationary! The head retains like a true champion leaving fat globs of lace clinging lazily to the glass. The nose is a bit more subtle than I expected, a nice dense presence of sweet malt, I’m picking up orange creamsicle from the combination of sweet malt and citrus hops. This beer is also chunky in the mouth, not just the obvious things floating in it, but the mouthfeel of the malt (a very nice thing). Malt is up front and thick in it’s caramel and toffee tones, the bitterness levels are quite high (even compared to others of the style), hop flavors appear in the finish and are very sweet, apricot, sweet citrus, honeydew melon, watermelon, drizzled ever-so-lightly with pine sap. Bitterness resinated nicely in the aftertaste. This IPA is a little different than many others I have tried, it seems where the hop flavors usually are a sharp contrast to the sweetness of the malt whereas with Indica they seems to compliment them seamlessly. The mouthfeel is awesome, perfectly medium bodied and slightly velvety. An awesomely unique IPA that I am glad to have available to me! (1,974 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Although it might appear dark for the style with it's chestnut-colored body and ivory-bordering-on-tan head of froth, Lost Coast's Indica delivers enough bright, floral and piney hops to keep any hop lover satisfied. The nose is quite enticing as it's hops combine with the lightly sweet, caramel-kissed malts underneath to leave it a touch candyish as well as floral, piney, and even a touch chocolatey. Except for the cloudiness (bottle conditioned?) it's quite attractive, with great head retention and lacing. It's delicately zesty and then creamy smooth across the palate with a very fine-bubbled, natural carbonation and medium-full body. A bold bitterness backs it's rich maltiness and exhuberant hoppiness in the flavor, and it's well-balanced, leaving it to finish decidedly dry, bitter, and piney-hoppy with a note of dark caramel/fudge that lingers nicely. This is a full-throttle IPA that somehow seems restrained in comparison to many of the bigger, blow-your-socks-off versions out there now. It's got a pretty decent drinkability right off the bat, and I think it's low-key, dark maltiness lends it an extra edge of complexity that keeps you coming back for more. It's very well-done, and one of Lost Coast's better beers! (1,237 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very cloudy copper color with decent head retention.

Very floral hoppy aroma, with tons of citrus.

Hop bitterness right off the bat with nice floral flavor. The hoppiness is quickly followed up by a biscuity malt flavor.

This is a great brew, very drinkable and just plain awesome. (292 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a very cloudy and hazy orange amber with a thick frothy white head. Head lingered for a bit with some decent lace. Lots of noticeable carbonation. Smell was highly hopped as one would expect, but also had some spiceness to it. Nutmeg, maybe and some fruitiness.

The taste was very complex. Wasn't the upfront hop attack I expected but rather a more mellow and thouroghly mixed blend of spices and malts. Don't get me wrong the hops are definaltly there but not overwhlming. Grapefruit and Pineapple flavors with a hint of pine. But the real story is the balance. Very well balanced with huge flavors. This was very enjoyable, and suprised I had not had this before as I had passed it many times on the shelf. Definatly a good call!! (743 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy deep golden orange. One finger tan head,with excellent retention and laceing. It's a bute! Aroma is of grassy piney hops. Body is medium with some carbonation. Taste is fruity,and hoppy. Nicely bittered,but with a hint of bready malt in the finish. Excellent. (274 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance –Cloudy copper color with a creamy head and decent lacing.

Aroma – Floral and grassy hop smell with some subtle malty notes.

Palate – Full bodied and smooth.

Flavor –Very complex fruity flavors with an almost candied grapefruit citrus hop that hits you straight away, followed by a smooth sweet malt middle, leading to a nice citrus bite finish.

Final thoughts – Wow! It just blew me away. Well crafted brew. (430 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

A: pours out a think and creamy goldenbrown with just about a finger of off-white head. Lots of carb for an ipa, lively and very hazy

S: Heavy, piney hop aroma, lemons, with the malts giving the slightest hint of sweetness.

T: Wow. Much hoppier than the aroma will tell you. Piney and citrusy with a honey/caramely sweetness to it.

M: This is a very fullbodied ipa, foamy, thick and chewy

D: excellent balance for a beer of its size, one of my go-tos when I plan on having more than one IPA in a sitting. (508 characters)

Indica India Pale Ale from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe