Indica India Pale Ale - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Indica India Pale AleIndica India Pale Ale

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
rlreif

Indiana

12-11-2012 05:42:04 | More by vanillacokaine
almychristopher

4.93/5  rDev +30.8%

a nice cloudy orange color with a nice white head that fades slowly. The smell is a wonderful array of hops that lingers in the glass. With the sweetness of the malts it leads into the taste nicely. the citrus and floral notes come across really nicely on the palate and combined with the wonderful crisp mouthfeel creates one hell of a beer.

06-12-2008 19:54:59 | More by almychristopher
quad07

4.78/5  rDev +26.8%

Poured it out of a 12oz brown bottle with pry off cap into a large hour glass shaped beer glass. No freshness date or ABV on the label that I could find. $7.99 for a six pack from Chubb’s Liquor Store.

It poured into the glass with out much of a head. The head was small and white but the pour did produce plenty of carbonation.

At first glance it was a dark copper looking color but when held up to the light it looks to me more of a cloudy burned orange amber.

This has a very pleasant fruity taste with a nice balance of green hops and a hint of malt. Over all a nice mix.

The carbonation and balance of sweet and bitter hops felt very good in my mouth and is very drinkable and no strong alcohol bite. I bet this would go good with “American style Chinese food”. You could drink quite a few of these and be ready for more a short time later.

I thought it was a bit pricey but I will buy more and if I find a sale I will buy it up!

Cheers

12-24-2007 23:27:20 | More by quad07
larryarms847

08-08-2013 03:51:10 | More by larryarms847
MacStinson

06-12-2013 06:41:58 | More by MacStinson
goindownsouth

4.75/5  rDev +26%

This beer, produced by Lost Coast in Eureka, California, was recommended to me by my beer supplier (Shangy's - look it up on here). For weeks, I would go in there and ask him for a really good, flavorful, and hoppy IPA. He says, "haven't I told you about Indica?" He did, but I talked myself out of it. Shame on me. This is, by far, the best IPA I have ever had - which was previously reserved for the Pyramid IPA, also from California. This brew pours out a beautiful dark copper-amber color. The aroma is indicative of what an IPA should be: very aromatic and hoppy on the nose. It has a head that is not lacey and not too heady, just enough from start to finish. The first sip told me I was on the steps of heaven. The hops slowly increase as you continue to savor this brew. By the bottom of the glass, the aroma is still apparent, and I had the feeling I had just participated in something of a higher-calling of something. Seriously though, this is my favorite IPA, hands down. And I still have 23 more to savor! Bottoms Up!

06-23-2002 07:19:17 | More by goindownsouth
mntlover

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +22%

Color is darker amber nice and hazy with a nice off white head that leaves lots of lace down my glass. Love the color beats the hell out of pale IPA's in my book.
Aroma is great lots of hops citrus mixed with a touch of pine cones, man got to love dry hopping. All of this on a nice caramel malt background wonderful smelling beer, a touch more malt would be a 5 for sure.
Taste is wonderflu also caramel malt hardly have time to taste the malt and the hops hit full flavored grapefruit rind, orange peel with a touch of pine maybe even hints of floral. Malt is strong enough to support all the hops, not much malt flavor but hops not out of balance either, perfect amount of carbonation and balance in my book.
Mouthfeel is solid medium, carbonation is perfection for this beer.
Drinability is great one of the best regular IPA's availblein my humble opinon. Also one of those beers I have had several times pre BA that I thought was great can remember the aroma from more then two years ago. But once on BA never tried again because always something at store I had not had, always meant to buy and review but never did :( I can see buying more of this next time in Knoxville or Boone lovley beer.

12-30-2004 20:39:02 | More by mntlover
rkuhnel

4.6/5  rDev +22%

This rating is for the on-tap version fresh from the Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe in Eureka, CA. This is my very favorite offering from this brewer. This may be partly because I am an IPA fan, but keep in mind this is also what I am most critical of.

It pours a beautiful orange color with a white head that lasts a long time and leaves rings of lacing as it settles. The nose is spicy, with citrus, hops, and carmel. Mouthfeel is very clean and smooth. It really tastes good going down and has an exceptional finish.

Flavors are as the aromas, just more intense. IPA's are tricky, and I see lots of brewers going over the top with too much hops. This one is in balance! It is really good to drink if you like this style, as I do.

11-29-2006 04:56:35 | More by rkuhnel
RootedFool

4.6/5  rDev +22%

A butter-cream colored head rises fast and dense, aggressively asserting itself on the pour. Gauze-like lacing drapes the glass.

Color is deep, stoic amber.

Smell is of spicy hops and a muted malt pulse in the background.

Complex burst of hops shimmer from the beginning of the taste and hold on through the finish. Somewhere in the middle a spiciness -- cloves, fermented grapefruit juice -- reaches out.

Mouthfeel is dense, creamy, almost chewy, and serves as a solid canvas for the over-drive of blessed hop bitterness.

This is the most consistently pleasing west coast IPA I've tried. One of my favorites. And I'm blessed to live only a few blocks away from the brewery, where I bought a case (bottles with screwed up labels) on the cheap.

02-21-2004 02:59:02 | More by RootedFool
Murph

Arizona

4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours a dark amber, almost brown color with lots of yeasties and a good tane head that leaved some nice lacing. Sweet maltiness is strong in the aroma as the hops are somewhat subdued. Taste starts off creamy and sweet before taking a nice bitter turn. Hops linger on the tongue leaving a preview of what is to come in the next sip. Hops lean a bit towards the Paqcific Northwest variety and impart some floral and citrusy flavor, but they aren't overly done. Creamy, but not quite as crisp and dry as I like an IPA to be, but still very drinkable. Very nice brew right here. Great balance between the sweet maltiness and bitter hoppiness. Excellent example of the style.

07-16-2002 10:14:46 | More by Murph
GClarkage

4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

12/13/04- Purchased at Jackson's Wine and Spirit's in Lafayette, CA

Presentation- 12 oz bottle with no expiration date. Poured into my Englander pint glass..again!

Appearance- About the best looking IPA I have ever seen. An incredibly huge head, at least 2 inches. A nice cloudy golden honey-like color. Lacing beyond awesome. My whole glass was still caked after I finished.

Smell- Above average scent with nice hops scents of pine, and grapefruit. Also and heavy carmel malt scent.

Taste- Nice and hoppy with the above scents coming in the taste also.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly creamy and well carbonated.

Drinkability- One of the best IPA's I have had. Very very drinkable.

12-14-2004 02:06:31 | More by GClarkage
Thrasher

Oregon

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

Muddy brown with huge puffy head, the texture and durability much like what you get from a cask conditioned ale. On first try, I absolutely loved this beer and it reminded me of 3 Floyds Alpha King in the fruitiness of the hop flavor combined with the sweetness of the big malts. On subsequent tastes, my enthusiasm has tempered a bit but this is still a very good beer. Lots of chewy, juicy hop flavors, mostly of the fruity citric kind, and great dark malts that are not too roasty but more bread and biscuity. The mouthfeel is flawless; this brewery has got their bottle conditioning down as good as or better than any other brewery you could care to name. Let this one warm up a bit from fridge temperature before you enjoy it. I'm not generally a huge fan of West Coast IPAs (many of them are just too extremely bitter) but this one is really good.

11-18-2003 00:49:45 | More by Thrasher
pmcadamis

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

A - The bottle shows a Picasso-esque Ganesh with lop-sided eyes sitting on what looks to be one of the chairs that my mom has on her front porch. Amber/orange with a fat two finger head of off-white foam. Butt loads of lace sticks to the glass and drys up into a nice spiderweb of crusty arcs. This one is semi-hazy and copper when not in direct light.

S - A really sweet and biscuity (Gran's pre-rolled biscuits that come in a tube), with an earthy, almost dirty undertone. The hops aren't really at the forefront here. Its more about the thick bready malt...like the sweet-bread that some sub shops use on their sandwiches. More and more hops come out with warmth, and get fruitier as the beer approaches room temp.

T - Still really biscuity, but the hops come out more in the flavor. Sweet and firm malt backbone supports some really gritty hop flavors that remind me of that weird starfruit that you can buy at good grocery stores. There is some bitter grapefruit twinges, and the malt/hop profile is nearly perfectly balanced. Bittersweet.

M - Fine stinging carbonation mellows within a second in my mouth to become full bodied, oily, and gritty. Leaves a nice coating of hop oils on my teeth after swallowing, and the hoppy aftertaste lasts forever.

D - This is an outstandingly balanced IPA! It's got the prerequisite hops, but the balancing malts are really tasty and gritty. This is a damn fine brew. Not the hoppiest IPA ever, but very drinkable!

10-26-2007 05:18:24 | More by pmcadamis
StevieW

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

A darker than expected roasted chestnut color, hints of ruby along the edges. Visually impressive, reminds me of the Moylans Double IPA. For that reason it warrants a 5. Creamy dense, sticky bubbly beige head.
Full on aromas of citrus, grapefruit tartness, with cascade hop presence. Very very impressive. First taste is sticky on the lips with hop resins, and smooth smooth smooth carmel malt underneath a bitter cheek puckering hop shot in the mouth. Zesty, charged hop presence, then to finish a slight oily, almost chocolate malt taste on the finish. Just enough to intrigue. Medium bodied, perfectly balanced. A wow IPA from Lost Coast, a hidden gem among all the big west coast brewers. I really like this one. Got 2 bottles recently, then went back for more last night, and much to my surprise a certain toothman up the road has bought 2 cases. He was nice enough to leave me a six pack.
Paging the Belgianbum,paging the Belgianbum.

02-21-2004 12:29:36 | More by StevieW
cbak999

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

This is everything you would expect from a west coast American IPA. The IBUs are a little higher than other examples in the style. But not over the top - hop taste is citrusy and piney - earthy. Very good balance of hop and malt. The color is cloudy, amber and when poured into a pint glass, you have a nice 1/2" head that lasts a while. There is a thin lace on the glass. All in all, a very good IPA. I will go for this one again.

07-14-2007 19:41:54 | More by cbak999