Indica India Pale Ale - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Indica India Pale AleIndica India Pale Ale

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Ryandey

08-30-2012 08:02:17 | More by Ryandey
tfsimpkins

02-09-2012 20:06:59 | More by tfsimpkins
gafferjohn

01-17-2012 02:46:43 | More by gafferjohn
KyleVick4

12 oz bottle, sad that is was a twist off bc I currently need bottles for my homebrew ... but thats another story.

A: Pours a very cloudy orange color. Nasty cloudy for a non homebrew. Has stuff floating all thoroughout it. Seen live beers before, but this is new. Looks like more like unfiltered trub than dead yeasties, its all throughout the beer. Glass was clean, had just washed it. Whatever it is came from the bottle. Needless to say cloudy beer with floating crap inside doent quite help the score. Only saving grace is that it poured with nice head and great lace!

S: Smells pretty good. Catch piney hops and malt aromas. Not as strong smelling as i think an IPA should be though. Smells almost watery...

T: Not impressed. Was hoping for a strong hop flavor. Found water with a touch of hops. Maltiness is rather weak, but the subtle hop taste allows you to find the malt. Overall needs more of everything but water.

M: A little to carbonated for my tastes. But not terrible. Does feel a little syrupy on the ole palate.

D: Meh if it didint suck I think I might like it. That being said I prob wont finish this beer. Seems light enough to be a minor session beer. But the poor taste and disgusting appearance do little for the drinkability.

Not very happy with this one. Wouldnt consider it an IPA. More of a hoppy ale that looks funny. Well if you are looking for a good IPA dont try this. Because you wont find one.

05-08-2006 03:05:19 | More by KyleVick4
hopsaplenty

2.08/5  rDev -44.8%

12oz. brown bottle, no date information.

Murky iced tea with chunky bits strewn throughout. Minimal head of small off white bubbles deposits a few splotches of lace. No visible carbonation streams. Aromas of grapefruit rind and pasteurized pink grapefruit juice as well as a bit of malt underneath it all. Raw grapefruit juice, slightly harsh, is the main flavor contributor. Short lingering rind note as well as a touch of malt sugar that limps forward. There is a stale quality to the grapefruit though, and it is not crisp and fresh. One dimensional in its flavor. Medium-light body and a low to non-existent level of carbonation adds to a mushy mouthfeel. Singular in its grapefruit-centric stale bitterness, the low carbonation did this one in. Drain pour.

White elephant BIF strikes again.

10-26-2006 11:50:58 | More by hopsaplenty
brewdlyhooked13

2.2/5  rDev -41.6%

After sweetening the palate with Pyramid apricot and a Tropicale, I need some hops to snap me back into balance. Here's hoping Indica 'does the needful'...

Appearance - Hmm. An orangey pour, a finger+ of medium and large bubbles. Good lacing, sticky residue all over the glass. Lots, I mean lots of flaky sediment, reminds me of Charles Wells IPA from a can I had way back. I don't mind some of that stuff but at some point the liquid just looks polluted. I hope that isn't an overly ignorant observation on my part but most IPAs are not rife with sediment. Anyway...

Aroma - this had an initial burst of mild citrus but after settling, I'm struggling to pick up much of anything. As the beer warms I get an occasional sweatsock odor.

Taste - a solid and robust grain start. A light maltiness coats the tongue, setting up for the hop wash. They hit with a piny note, not very resiny though. Some classic hop body and profile but I find it lacking towards the end. It becomes medicinal with a shallow bitterness that loses its flavor. There are times when I catch hints of sweeter citrus, but it's seldom. The lack of follow-up to the malt side undoes most of the good this beer had going for it.

Mouthfeel - a good mouthfeel. Smooth and slightly oily, crisp carbonation, one of the better areas of the beer.

Drinkability - doesn't really impress me; not something I'd go for again.

01-30-2008 02:33:12 | More by brewdlyhooked13
jcalabre

2.23/5  rDev -40.8%

I originally sampled this beer on 26 January 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
For me, this was a bit of an extreme India Pale Ale. Not in the sense of an Imperial India Pale Ale, but by the fact that it was so bitter in a bad way.

As far as appeance, it was quite a brown, which is darker than I'm used to.
I think that there are many better IPA's out ther.

08-23-2003 03:39:21 | More by jcalabre
Thehopluver

Oklahoma

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

06-22-2012 18:45:32 | More by Thehopluver
ms11781

2.38/5  rDev -36.9%

Reviewed on 05/30/2011. Thanks to tedwarhc. 22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy, deep orange color with a half finger of off, white foam rising and quickly falling to a thin cap. Very little lacing.

The nose isn't all that strong. Light citrus and maybe a touch of flowery hops. Bready malts stick out more than the hops and brings some sweetness.

The taste is surprisingly even more subdued than the nose. Bready malts are the most dominant and provide a substantial sweetness. Light citrusy hops provide a slight lemon-like character. None of the grapefruit that was in the nose was detected. Slightly bitter finish.

Medium body with medium carbonation. Slightly bitter at the end with a somewhat smooth finish.

Overall this one was unimpressive. Little hop character in the nose and less in the taste. Though the malt stands out more than the hops there isn't really a huge presence of either. With no freshness info on the the bottle or label it's hard to tell how old this beer is, though I suspect it's a bit long in the tooth.

10-27-2011 02:08:37 | More by ms11781
drinkiusmaximus

2.4/5  rDev -36.3%

Uh-oh me thinks this is not a fresh batch...For an IPA this is very malty in the nose and the taste. I pick up almost no hop prescence at all. mothfeel is medium bodied but drinkability is low for me( i love my hops ) with no brewed date or enjoy by date how can i be assured the next one i grab is not fresh either? probably will not get this again...

Prost!!!

02-19-2011 03:22:56 | More by drinkiusmaximus
winpig3

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%

A: Cloudy orange color topped with a thin lacey head.

S: Faint hop aroma and certainly nothing to indicate a beer "radically hopped..." with "intense spiritual aroma," as written on the side of the label.

T: A mix of esters and hop bitterness

M: thin and oily

D: I'm a big fan of most Lost Coast offerings but this IPA is not one of them. Maybe having Indica fresh from the tap would be a better experience.

06-03-2007 01:48:01 | More by winpig3
dbalsock

Vermont

2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

App: Served in a pint glass, with a natural 1 inch head. Looked a little hazy with a light orange/amber body and white head.

Smell: Fruity hop aroma, like some light cascades and goldings were used... just a guess with a medium malty backbone that reminds me of malt extract. Still smells pretty good though.

Taste: The taste and aftertaste remind me of stale malt extract and old hops, but the beer itself doesn't seem old. At times it tasted similar to dirt. It's mostly standard for an ipa, but the off flavors that stand out really hurt the taste.

Mouthfeel: Bitterness without the crisp finish I'm used to. The bitterness is like bad lettuce.

Drinkability: Not undrinkable, I finished my glass, but poor example of the style. And I won't have it again.

10-25-2007 01:15:17 | More by dbalsock
kosmoraios

Washington

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a crystal-clear orange color, with a small white head that dissipates quickly.

Piney hops share dominance with grapefruit citrus in the nose, bit of an herbal undertone.

Taste is of hops, piney and floral. Pine tree sap. There's an unpleasant pine-needle-tea bitterness that is unusual for an IPA. Caramel-sweet malts peek out as the ale warms, but the unnatural bitter note remains throughout the ale. I love hops, the more IBUs the better, but this flavor kills it for me. Alcohol becomes somewhat evident near the middle of the ale.

Insubstantial and watery in the mouth, finishes with a metallic aftertaste.

12-04-2008 02:50:59 | More by kosmoraios
pmatz2

2.68/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured an Amber color that was difficult to see through even when held up to the light.
A sweet malty smell that caught me by surprise. There was very little if any hop aroma. Another deep smell just to double check.

Taste: Where are the hops there is a malty sweetness and very little hop taste. There is a slight bitterness that increases until it becomes very pronounced in the finish.

Mouth feel was okay neither great nor bad.

Overall found this to be disappointing as an India Pale Ale. If there was a less bitter finish it would be a decent pale ale.

India Pale Ale?

11-22-2006 23:03:02 | More by pmatz2
SupaCelt

2.73/5  rDev -27.6%

Appearance: orange amber with a soapy off white head. head is not long lived. low effervescence. a good amount of spitty lace.
Smell: crystalized maltiness with a citrus grapefruit and somewhat piney hop character. the bouquet is pretty relaxed. a burnt sugar aroma pervades the hop cloud and gives this a sickening smell.
Taste: caramel and sugar with a clean bitterness. hops are low in flavour, but the dryness and bitterness are still intact. the sugary sweetness is somewhat sickening after about half a glass. it reminds me of gritty burnt sugar. blaghh. reminds me of another brand.
Mouthfeel: medium. seems well malted.
Drinkability: the cloying sugar aspect is really making me nauseous. this is drain fodder. crummy beer.

01-26-2006 02:07:00 | More by SupaCelt
PhxHorn

Arizona

2.73/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured a dark, hazy brown with lots and lots of floaters in it. So much that it was downright icky looking. Some of them were the size of a fingernail. Anyway, it smelled of hops and citrus, but wasn't all that intense. Taste was very average. Compared with other west coast IPAs, there wasn't a whole lot going on. In fact, I didn't finish this one.

04-17-2008 18:40:12 | More by PhxHorn
Nage37

02-20-2012 22:44:00 | More by Nage37
queenboadicea

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

Ok, I'll admit that I'm not the worlds biggest IPA fan. And I love beer. But there are limits to how bitter I like my hops, and the Indica blows right past those limits and into the outfield. It pours a nice rich amber brown with a darker color and larger head than I'm used to on most IPAs. But the first thing that hits your palate is the bitterness of the hops, to the point where I can't discern any other flavors in the beer. Nothin' but uber-bitter hops. After it warmed up a bit I was able to pick out some toast and caramel. But still overriding it all was that darned bitterness. Ahh well. A good beer, but definitely not my cup of tea. I like my IPAs better balanced.

08-31-2003 20:42:25 | More by queenboadicea

cp45

09-01-2013 00:04:14 | More by cp45
Nanners

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

I First had this IPA at the local German festival. It was the only IPA available. It had a nice color and a mild grapefruit thing going on so I decided to buy it when I saw it at my local beer store. Nice color and not a lot of head, but basically a sweet, syrupy, sticky, malty ipa. I even get that slight skunky taste. It might have been sitting on the shelf for a while, but I definitely taste a lot of malt.

Serving type: growler

03-26-2012 00:20:27 | More by Stevie_Janowski
woemad

Washington

2.78/5  rDev -26.3%

Consumed on tap at The Elk in Spokane for $4.25. I've had this in bottle form, but not recently.

Served in a pint glass, this had a look to it that was somewhere between iced tea and amber. A big, creamy white head was perched atop the glass. Moderate lace.

This had a scent of leafy, medicinal hops. There was a modest citrus scent as well, but it was dominated by the bitter medicinal hop scent.

Taste was pretty much like the smell. I wasn't too impressed with the flavor of this beer. Bitter, but not bitter to the point of scalding a hophead's tastebuds - just bitter due to a lack of balance.

Mouthfeel was adequate. I feel that this beer's flavor shortcomings made the mnouthfeel academic.

Not a particularly inspiring IPA experience. I don't think I'll try this again.

06-09-2007 01:36:19 | More by woemad