Indica India Pale Ale - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Indica India Pale AleIndica India Pale Ale

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Reviews: 566 | Hads: 1,178
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

a bit disappointed in this one.
too sweet for what I look for in an IPA.
soft on the hops, and too carbonated for my liking.

candy-like sweetness, floral, that detracted from the overall flavour

clean, crisp, and a well-made beer.
just not my flavour profile

3.02/5  rDev -20.3%

Hazy dark copper with tan foamy head and good lacing. Light grapefruit aroma with maybe a little spice. Spicy grapefruit hops are subdued by caramel malts. Mouthfeel is even carbonation with a short bitter linger.

Balance tips in the hops direction but it's not enough to be very interesting. Not much in the way of hop aromatics either. It's fairly easy drinking with a decent hop character, just nothing I'll go out of my way to have again.

3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Beer pours a semi-transparent orangish color with very little head and zero lacing. Smell, like, I cant' really describe it. I was expecting hops and I did find some, but not very pronounced. It also had some odd dirt smell to it. Taste is decent, though not great. Initially, a hop wave hits and doesn't really subside. Maltiness is a tad subdued. Mouthfeel is medium and very dry. Too dry. Aftertaste is bitter and not in a good way. Drinkablity is OK, but I would reach for other selections first.

3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

22 oz. bomber, bought at Mike's Liquors in Huntington Beach, CA, on the corner of Warner and Bolsa Chica,

A: Dark amber, with a thick, white head, lots of lacing, fluff, and foam in the pint glass.

S: Malts, pale malts mostly, some piney American hops, with a lot of alcohol, a solventy, almost phenolic smell.

T: Pretty good, lots of hops, very grapefruity, with some mango, there is just too much alcohol in this one for its size at 6.5%, it just overwhelms the other flavors and the fruitiness of the hops. It almost tastes like a barleywine when it warms up, not what I was expecting.

M: Smooth, phenolic, and warming, quite crisp and biting for its heft though.

D: An OK beer, not one of the better IPAs that I have had, but not a bad beer, may buy again, but not a must try for you IPA lovers out there.

3.04/5  rDev -19.8%

A: Lots of debris floating around in the beer. I know this is unfiltered beer, but the amount of junk in the beer is IMO out of line.

S: Hoppy, strong.

T: Hops galore. This beer puts hair on ones chest. Heavily focused on bitterness

M: Heavy body

D: Drinkable for its style...

Overall: Most likely a good beer for its style, but to me its way too bitter to be enjoyable. There isn't a lot of balance of flavors...

3.07/5  rDev -19%

A - Iced tea hue with very little head.

S - It smells of piney hop and pale golden malt, although the hue doesn't show it.

T - APA at its most moderate, dull even. It tastes like piney and grapefruity hops on a minor caramel maltiness. Not exciting.

M - Not terrible, but a tad thin and undercarbonated.

D - Okay, barely. Boring mostly. I would fall asleep if i had two or more.

This beer tastes dull on draft, and perfume-y in the bottle. Not great stuff, but drinkable.

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured into a pint glass...
Deep orange with amber hues, some cloudiness. Small white head with lacing.
Smell captures some citrus, pine & hops.
Taste is slightly citrusy with very little hop action. Was really hoping for some more bite and something to set the beer of it's own. Tastes a little more bland than I would prefer.
Mouthfeel, some carbonation and a little meaty.
This is not the greatest, but it would do in a pinch. It's just too predictable and gives you nothing to set it apart from the others.

3.09/5  rDev -18.5%

I enjoy IPAs however this particular brew did not appease me. It tasted a bit better than the last time I tried it, still, did not deliver what I would have expected from an Indian pale ale. The beer pours nicely, looks nice but when I take a whiff, it smells almost like a 40oz malt liquor. The taste is much better. A decent hoppy ballet. The aftertaste is similar to that of miller highlife. overall I rate this 3.00. I would not recommend this to a friend.

3.1/5  rDev -18.2%

12 oz. bottle- color of dark honey , with a alright white head - nose of spruce , resin hopps , malty sweetness , orange , and honey – taste of balanced malt and hops , slight resin , and alcohol - body is lightly carbonated , and medium thickness – aftertaste of flowery hops , resin , malt , and acidic

3.1/5  rDev -18.2%

Look - good IPA look with soft rust color. Maybe a finger's worth of foam that dissipates fairly quickly. Good carbonation.

Smell - I don't smell anything very significant. Perhaps caramel, a little worty smelling. Good IPA smell, but perhaps a slight indication of a taste that leans toward the lighter side.

Mouthfeel - Light medium, with a hint of creaminess.

Taste - Nice tingling at the back of the tongue and soft palate. I didn't taste the wortiness that I smelled. Usual bitterness of an IPA. Lingering, although pleasant, aftertaste.

Drinkability - Good IPA, worth coming back for at the store, but maybe a little too much of an aftertaste for me to keep going back for at a party.

3.11/5  rDev -17.9%

A - Pours a clear amber color with mild carbonation and a thin, white head across the top.

S - Caramel malt, sweet citrus, and orange. Mildly fruity. The "fruit factor" reminds me of a Nugget Nectar on a smaller scale. (Dare I say?)

T - Toasted caramel, citrus hops, a mildly juicy palette. One dimensional.

M - Medium body, moderately clean finish.

D - O.K.

I'm a huge fan of IPA's and thids one did absolutely nothing for me. I will try this again at a later date because I will chalk this one up to perhaps a bad keg, unclean tap line, or something else. People seem to really like this beer so I'll give it another o[pportunity.

3.11/5  rDev -17.9%

Served in a nonic at fridge temperature. Thanks to Ego for the sample.

Appearance- Pours a cloudy, beautiful sunset red with a bone white, two finger head. Looks fat and stalwart.

Smell- A wicked attack of hops with a piney, resinous aroma. It smells sticky, like pine tar. Notes of garbage in the hot sun.

Taste- Like the aroma suggests, the pinecone-like character is front and center... with a solid malt backbone for sturdiness and balance. Burps are strong and loud. The ending bitterness is sour and not particularly pleasing.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The sharp, tiger-like carbonation is a bit strong and a bully in the mouth. It smooths out gradually throughout the tasting, but the taste overall doesn't even crack my top ten favorite IPAs.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A slightly vigorous pour got me just over a finger of beige head. Very good retention on aforementioned head. Body is a dirty copper color with some bubbles rising from bottom to top.

Smells hoppy. Orange, pine and grapefruit are noticed, and in that order. Dark fruit and sweet malt bring a little balance to the nose on the back end.

Very piney with grapefruit is the best way to describe the flavor. You get a bit of sweetness as you go deeper into the beer, but it gets rather cloying after a few mouthfulls. It ends with a medium bitter and more of that odd almost minty/sweet cloying taste.

Light bodied, dry finish. Simple.

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Burnt orange/copper in color with hints of reddish hue. Sticky, foamy off-white with a touch of tan head. Good lacing.
S: No shockers here-typical IPA related smell. Citric hops throughout-namely white grapefruit with a hint of ruby red grapefruit (a bit sweeter), grass, and herbal scent throughout. A faint hint of pine, but not much.
T: Citric hops throughout with a bitter malty end with bread flavors. The citric hops are pungent up front giving way to the bitter malt ending-good balance between the two with the citric hops being the most foward of the flavors and the back bone for this IPA. The pungency was at a nice, balanced level.
MF: A light-medium mouthfeel that is relatively smooth. Easy drinking.
Overall- A solid, but nothing special offering. Good balance, good pungency level with solid flavors throughout. An easy drinking beer that is worth a try and another purchase.

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

This brew pours golden brown in color with an enormous off white head that laces well.
The aroma is mildly citrusy and hopy as well.
Its flavor is surprisingly malty for an IPA. It starts out a bit bready then finishes with hop bitterness and hints of grapefruit.
Mouth feel is light and a bit oily, yet it goes down quit easily.

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a stubby 12oz bottle. No freshness date on the bottle.

Appeance: Pours a murky, orange, copper, the color of iced tea with a 1 finger head.

Smell: Nothing outstanding. Almost had to put my nose into the beer to get any discernable aromas. What I did find is a malt sweetness, bready with a hint of pine way in the background. Hard to pick out anything that would stand out.

Taste: Dry, right off the bat. Starts off with a kind of bready, malt sweetness that finishes with a slightly piny hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Kind of oily and slick.

Not a favorite by any means. Had a really hard time trying to describe this beer. Nothing really stands out. Had a hard time picking out aromas and putting a finger on the taste. The 6.5% abv does leave a warming glow but I really couldn't see drinking more than one or two of these during a session. Doesn't compare to better IPA's like Titan, Smuttynose, DFH 60 or Hop Devil IMO.

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

A-slightly pale orange gold with a thin cream head

S-very malty, caramel, stale grass. some citrusy hops. big strength

T-comes in creamy and malty, then some citrusy hops. slight bitterness. fresh hops after-taste.

M-water low carbonation with a dry finish

O-eh too malty for me. its simply not something I want a lot of. too harsh of an IPA for me.

3.14/5  rDev -17.2%

A- Pours a hazy reddish copper body with caramel color head.

S- Very faint nose, barely detectable.

T- Mainly dominated by piny and resinous hops fair balance but a bit light on the flavor.

M- A bit light could use more body.

D- Overall an amateurish effort. Does little to separate itself from the pack.

3.14/5  rDev -17.2%

Asked what was new, and fresh on the shelf at DiCarlo's in Mundelein IL and this was among those mentioned by the clerk for "flying off the shelf". Wonder what the hell that Sweetgrass IPA would have been like he also mentioned!

A - Bottled on 5/25/12. Pours out a copper color with a sticky head and nice lacing.

S - Smells like pelletized hops, decent amount of malts. Smells slightly musty like old hops, some faint pine, citrus.

T - Taste is is faintly sweet from the malts, some bittering from the hops and burnt rubber.

M - Mouthfeel is fine.

O - Overall a run of the mill IPA. Nothing too offensive but nothing great. The reason I buy beer is because brewers can make better beer than me but probably not in this case. Reminds me of a beer kit brew. Boring brew but at least the price was like a SNPA, which I wish I had right now instead. Disappointing.

3.14/5  rDev -17.2%

*did not mind would not buy*

Apperance: Nice looking, copper amber mix topped with an almost 2 finger, off white head. Not transparant, but not hazy.

Smell: Good, tiny whiff of some nuts up front, then hops all hops. The hop smell is mostly citrusy with an underlieing acidity, but some floral hops sneeking around.

Taste: HEY! Not bad! Tad bit acidic in the finish for my palate. I have had beers with more hops on the tongue without as much pure acidity in the finish but it balances off a bit as you drink and some... SOME of the nutty part of the Pale ale flavor within the Indian Pale ale hoppiness sneaks out. Not bad, really. Big citrus in the finish - IPA all the way.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, but not impressive.

Drinkability: Smooth out some of the acid and it would be better, considering the style not bad, but not good. Besides, how many IPAs are ultra drinkable?

Notes: Would not buy, BUT! I would take some for free. I could drink 2 in one sitting.. if I had food.

3.16/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

bottle poured into pint glass. 1/2 inch of foamy head that left nice lacing. golden color expected of an ipa. bitter aroma and taste. decent ipa, but a bit dull and ordinary flavor in my opinion. definitely drinkable, but an overall average ipa that is not mind blowing.

poured into a Unibroue tulip

A: beautiful orangie amber color with two finger head...retention is great on this beer

S: smell is not very strong, lightly floral with some traces of grass

T: starting off from front to back the first thing that I can catch is the grassy/piny bitterness from the hops. The bitterness is strong at first but after the first few sips it really begins to open up and I can begin to pick up on some ripe grapefruit finishing with some slight malt sweetness at the end bringing the hop bitteness to an end.

M: mild carbonation, slightly oily, a bit thin

D: enjoyable brew, does not hang out with the big boys however, would buy again.

3.16/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a deep, cloudy orange color with a thin, frothy, cream colored head. The smell is not what I typically think of when I think AIPA - the hops are there but they don't seem to dominate. The leading smell is a sweet, fruity, buttery biscuit malt scent. Really only a waft of hops, maybe citrusy but it's so light that it's hard to tell. Definitely not a bad smell for a beer, but I had to dock it for an IPA. The taste reflects the same thing to a lesser degree; sweet, biscuity malt start with a slightly hoppy, indistinct finish. I will say that it is well balanced and the alcohol isn't overly noticeable. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a moderate carbonation and dry finish. Overall, a drinkable beer. A good beer, but not an outstanding IPA. There is no "wow" factor for this beer - it just eeks by at eh, pretty good.

3.17/5  rDev -16.4%

Another blind review for me since I'm determined not to dislike a beer simply for it's style, or in some cases, brewer. Those that know me, know I usually recoil in horror at IPA's and go screaming back to a stout. This beer is the most tolerable IPA I've found. The girls at Lost Coast have not let me down.

Cloudy is not what I've experienced in most IPA's, but maybe it's what the others have been lacking. This was enough like a witbier that I found it almost pleasant. There was a fine, soapy head that just lingered around the edge.

The smell was a boquet of hops with just a hint of maltness that took the hoppy edge off.

A bit sweeter than others I've tried, the hops were nicely balanced with the hint of malt. I only noticed bitterness at the end of the taste which pretty much encompassed my tongue.

Pleasant and crisp, I didn't really notice any alcohol harshness until I was nearly finished with the glass. It was warming toward the end.

While I find IPA's hard to drink as a rule, this is one I will try again.

3.17/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a bright clear orange. Inch or two of off-white foam that quickly settles down to a thin crust.

Smells ... bad. Sorry, it does. Weird musty herbs, a pungent rotten pine odor. Not good.

Taste, thankfully, is much better. That same bitter herb-iness is still there, but muted, and there's some balancing malt and a more mellow pine backing. Not a lot of citrus flavoring, which is a bit surprising.

Well carbonated, but somewhat thin.

Indica India Pale Ale from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe