Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Indica India Pale Ale - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Indica India Pale AleIndica India Pale Ale

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-17-2001

Reviews: 564 | Hads: 1,168
3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a hazy, fizzy reddish amber with a one-finger off-white head. The aroma isn't too strong, but is of sweet malt and floral hops. Taste is a caramel malt backbone with citrus rind bitterness that lingers. Grassy, oily hops in the finish. A hint of alcohol. Medium bodied and highly carbonated. This is a pretty good IPA with a nice hop profile. Would have again.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

A staple in my home - finally getting around to reviewing it. Poured into my Ruination pub glass.

A - Coppery orange color, and thick looking due to lots of yeast in suspension (the recent bottles I've had have fewer floaties - it used to have lots of chunky sediment). 2-finger head, and some foam sticks around until the glass is finished. Plenty of lacing as the glass drains.

S - Big citrus hop character. Grapefruit zest. Hops dominate the nose, with a hint of malt sweetness in there.

T - Great malt backbone with a nice assertive hop bitterness that's strong but not over the top. Give this brew a few minutes out of the fridge to come up to temperature and the malt flavors balance the hops very well. Lightly sweet with grapefruit and orange flavors. Alcohols are present but the hops bite harder.

MF - Comes off to me as a bit thicker than the average IPA, which I appreciate. Good body and well carbonated.

D - I routinely knock a couple of these back in quick succession, so no complaints here. Above average for the style.

Overall I find this brew to be very well balanced with a good level of malt to stand up to the hops.

3.04/5  rDev -19.8%

A: Lots of debris floating around in the beer. I know this is unfiltered beer, but the amount of junk in the beer is IMO out of line.

S: Hoppy, strong.

T: Hops galore. This beer puts hair on ones chest. Heavily focused on bitterness

M: Heavy body

D: Drinkable for its style...

Overall: Most likely a good beer for its style, but to me its way too bitter to be enjoyable. There isn't a lot of balance of flavors...

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a stella half pint glass

A-pours a light translucent gold with a thick frothy head. Beautiful lacing

S-hoppy, good bitter-sweet nose

T-good balance of roasted barley and caramel to counteract the hoppy bitterness. it opens smooth, the caramel and roast come through the middle and it finishes hoppy

M-has a very big mouthfeel almost like a porter. very chewy and full

D-another nice offering from Lost Coast. i enjoyed it

2.82/5  rDev -25.6%

Ok, I'll admit that I'm not the worlds biggest IPA fan. And I love beer. But there are limits to how bitter I like my hops, and the Indica blows right past those limits and into the outfield. It pours a nice rich amber brown with a darker color and larger head than I'm used to on most IPAs. But the first thing that hits your palate is the bitterness of the hops, to the point where I can't discern any other flavors in the beer. Nothin' but uber-bitter hops. After it warmed up a bit I was able to pick out some toast and caramel. But still overriding it all was that darned bitterness. Ahh well. A good beer, but definitely not my cup of tea. I like my IPAs better balanced.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Overall a pretty good beer thought that it wasn't so strong as other IPA's I have tried. A lot smoother feel than most as well.
T: below average for an IPA but overall great beer

M: not very hoppy hence the smoother feel

D: I am drinking them as I speak. Definitely a good choice for a night at the house

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bought at whole foods for 9 bucks a sixxer. Pours a golden copper color, very appealing. Foam is not thick, but finely bubbled and dense. Fades quickly.
Pine and citrus hit the nose immediately, there is an underlying sweet malt smell.
Tastes fantastic for a no name mod. price beer. Grapefruit, pine, and possibly oats. Nice bite, fairly bitter but not overwhelming.
Full bodied, bites the tongue.
Very drinkable for an IPA.
This is a fantastic example of an American Pale Ale.

4.19/5  rDev +10.6%

Bottled on 11/25/09

A: Slightly hazy medium amber, with a moderately sticky offwhite head. Lots of tiny bubbles allow for a good retention, even though I didn't pour as aggressively as usual.

S: Sweet caramel and pine from the hops, as well as raisin bread. Moderate citrus. The bready, biscuity malts balance things out nicely. Very pleasant smell.

T: Smooth, slightly berry-like sweetness upfront. Finishes with an above average hop flavor, but hops are pretty mellow compared with most IPAs.

M: Subtle oiliness and good carbonation. Finishes crisp and refreshing.

D: Quite sessionable for an IPA. Flavorful enough to entice the taste buds, with a sweet malt balance to really smooth things out. I could find myself returning to this pretty often. Well worth the $8 for the 6 pack.

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

Although less hop aroma, Orange aroma very strong, vey refreshing beer. I kind of confuse, is this really IPA or beer with Orange juice. But after drinking many beer, this refreshing beer give me a shock.. I still confuse

4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

My favorite IPA so far.
When comparing it to the snake bite ipa from Flying dog it has...
Better Aftertaste because of a smoother finish
The head retention isn't as good but the color is a bit darker and more appealing.
It is an overall great drinking experience with all kinds of interesting notes.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from bottle in to a 16 oz pint glass. Deep brown/copper color. Medium lacing. Medium tan head. Smell not real distinctive. Has excellent flavor. Would be a good session beer. Compares very favorably to Goose Island IPA. Feels very good in the mouth. I could definitely drink several of these in one sitting. I was very happy with this beer and is a good bargain.

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

Bought a 6 pack of this stuff for $8.

A- a semi hazy copper dark orange look with great lacing! (I love good sticky beer!)

S- very typical NW ipa smell here. It's got that great sticky piney citrusy smell with somewhat rusty(yeasty?) malty backbone.

T- back and forth with hops and malt, so very well balanced! Hops first but then the tug of war starts instantly. Little bit more piney in taste than what the smell suggests but then finishes with a fruity bitterness. Very good.

M- medium creamy body with a bit of a kick from the carbonation.

O- To me, a very very enjoyable ipa that isn't too intense so it acts as a great ipa anytime anywhere. Wont leave you wanting to stop after only one so a bit of a "outdoor" ipa I feel. I highly recommend! Prost!

3.32/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - a dark orange color with a 2 inch head

S - smell is not all that great. I detect a faint grapefruit hop presence.

T - taste is okay, nothing special. Not very hoppy, more like a an APA. Faint hop taste here.

M - mouthfeel is okay, medium bodied

O - I wouldn't drink this again, and its really fresh. But for an introductory craft brew, it might be good

4.65/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Bomber into pub pint glass

L- hazy dark orange with good quick receding head, decent lacing and a white cap that stays with the beer

S- strong floral, some fruit (possibly stone fruit). I think it's a very great aroma

T- floral, some fruit, and maybe slightly herbal with a mild bitter after taste

M- average mouth feel, not thin, not thick, but average with mild carbonation

O- I think it's an awesome beer, i wish I had tried it sooner but I never heard of the brand so I held off. Today I finally took the leap and I'm glad I did. Awesome beer especially for the <$5 price of a craft brew

3.66/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: unfiltered hazy amber with thin off white head and some excellent lacing

S: not a very powerful aroma, citrusy hops and some faint malt

T: big hop flavour upfront with a nice citrus finish. not particularly bitter or malty.

M: medium light in body, a little fizzy in terms of carbonation, not enough malty body for my taste.

D: Certainly drinkable, but not the greatest IPA

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

orange/lemon undertone, sweet taste, slightly hoppy, medium body, refreshing, floral profile- a bit too much floral notes, overall interesting combination, it was good but not great.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Poured it out of a 12oz brown bottle with pry off cap into a large hour glass shaped beer glass. No freshness date or ABV on the label that I could find. $7.99 for a six pack from Chubb’s Liquor Store.

It poured into the glass with out much of a head. The head was small and white but the pour did produce plenty of carbonation.

At first glance it was a dark copper looking color but when held up to the light it looks to me more of a cloudy burned orange amber.

This has a very pleasant fruity taste with a nice balance of green hops and a hint of malt. Over all a nice mix.

The carbonation and balance of sweet and bitter hops felt very good in my mouth and is very drinkable and no strong alcohol bite. I bet this would go good with “American style Chinese food”. You could drink quite a few of these and be ready for more a short time later.

I thought it was a bit pricey but I will buy more and if I find a sale I will buy it up!

3.54/5  rDev -6.6%

Indica actually reminds me of Nag Champa incense. Maybe it's the bottle. Maybe it's the booze. Pours a coppery-orange, with a bubbly fleeting head. Tastes of burnt sugar, malt, and dulled hops. The bitterness isn't overpowering, and/or cloying. Best paired with a curry dish or spicy seafood. Expect a slightly above average IPA; less on the hops, more on the session.

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Yields a foamy head and a coppery to amber color. The right amount of hops for an IPA, though maybe a bit lacking on the complexity. Medium to slightly heavy body. A decently crafted IPA, but nothing I would go back to until I've tried everything else. Good but nothing exceptional.

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

A: pours out a think and creamy goldenbrown with just about a finger of off-white head. Lots of carb for an ipa, lively and very hazy

S: Heavy, piney hop aroma, lemons, with the malts giving the slightest hint of sweetness.

T: Wow. Much hoppier than the aroma will tell you. Piney and citrusy with a honey/caramely sweetness to it.

M: This is a very fullbodied ipa, foamy, thick and chewy

D: excellent balance for a beer of its size, one of my go-tos when I plan on having more than one IPA in a sitting.

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: Orangish body with creamy white head; cloudy--not clear

Smell: Big citrus and floral hops, similar to Bear Republic Racer 5 and the Bell's HopSlam, except that there is a subtle spicy undercurrent in this brew that I didn't pick up in the other two.

Taste: Starts with a big, sweet citrus burst--all hops upfront! I pick up hints of bourbon and vanilla, and the caramel malts complement the hops. Finishes with a lingering spicy hoppy note.

Mouthfeel: huge and full-bodied, with carbonation that, with the hops, pricks the tongue.

Drinkability: Another great big, delicious West Coast IPA. I have a hard time deciding whether I prefer this or the Racer 5 better. I like the caramel malts and lingering spiciness in this brew, but I think the opening salvo of the Racer 5 might be slightly more assertive. I paired this with spicy Indian food--Aloo Choley.

3.86/5  rDev +1.8%

Light malt with a nice floral nose. The malt was not too overpowering which allowed for much of the hop flavor to come out. Finish was long an smooth. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp which lends itself to be an easy drinking brew. Overall a decent beer worth trying one or two.

2.54/5  rDev -33%

A: Cloudy orange color topped with a thin lacey head.

S: Faint hop aroma and certainly nothing to indicate a beer "radically hopped..." with "intense spiritual aroma," as written on the side of the label.

T: A mix of esters and hop bitterness

M: thin and oily

D: I'm a big fan of most Lost Coast offerings but this IPA is not one of them. Maybe having Indica fresh from the tap would be a better experience.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

Had higher hopes for this one. No pun intended. It starts a bit buttery actually but it does find a way to adjust itself after about 2 pints. It is not overly strong in a hoppy way so it is certainly drinkable. Matched it up with a darker beer on tap so it was a good option. Just not quite finished to where you would think it would be.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

I was turned on to this one by a great friend while visiting an outstanding beer bar in Richmond, Va. Thanks Rebecca! I hunted this one down at the Beer Yard in Wayne, PA.

It pours a two finger head that is very "active". It has a deep copper colour. IT"S ALIVE! It is very fluffy and looks like soap suds. This quickly disipates to a one finger head. Throughout it leaves a significant amount of lacing on my The Smokey Pig (Ashland, VA) pint glass.

Smell: It smells good. LOL It doesn't smell like most Left Coast micros. What I mean is, citrus hops do not jump out and smack you around. It smells like baked bread. Definitely a malty aroma with little alcohol in the nose. Off the top of my head it resembled Hop Devil (sans the aggresive pine cone hop smell).

Taste: It is well-balanced. That is what I really enjoy here. It fakes you out at first with the bittersweet malt presence. At first sip I thought I had an English Mild but then the hops make themselves known in the finish. I found the hopiness uncharacterstic of American IPAs. This one is closer to the English version but it still easy to tell the hops used are not of the British variety.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: I think most may feel this is thin but I really think it lends to the excellent drinkability. I think this would be a session ale if it was under 5% ABV.

Overall this one seems to buck the trend of most Cali IPAs. It is a solid buy and recommended. I just wish it was more widely available so I didn't have to pay $40 at the Beer Yard...oh well I guess I need to suck it up. Final, note, I served this one at 45 - 50 degrees so that may have had an impact since BA suggests serving it at 40-45 degrees.

Indica India Pale Ale from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe