Winterbraun - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

WinterbraunWinterbraun

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Winter Warmer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2003)

jmathis, Dec 27, 2012

SurlyHotdog, Dec 19, 2012
2.19/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

I don't know if the recipe has changed, but my bottle indicates an abv of only 6.8%. Pours a murky, typical brown ale color of purple and brown mixed together in a rusty sort of way. Topped with a very nice sized, brown eggshell colored head. The head isnt very dense or foamy, but there is enough substance to get it to two fingers and keep it there for a while. Some sporadic lacing.

Aroma is a bit lacking. Nothing really pops out at me. I guess caramel, grainy bread, and sweet figs present themselves: otherwise, rather lackluster.

Not a fan of the flavor. Dammit! I bought a six pack of this stuff on sale hoping for a flyer. Drats! Bitter yet sweet, alcoholic, salty, astringent, sour. It is as if someone put fresh lime rind in my mouth before I took a sip. Very astringent and sour. Is something wrong with this?

This one went down the tubes really fast. Thin and watery, sour, astringent (like sucking on Aspirin), not refreshing at all. This will be a chore to finish the whole sixer. Maybe the recipe DOES need to change. Avoid this one...

SaCkErZ9, Mar 28, 2013

tfsimpkins, Feb 09, 2012

adamguillette, Dec 21, 2013

AndrewMichael, Nov 22, 2013

beernads, Aug 23, 2013

RobertColianni, Dec 23, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -30.8%

Appearance - A very heavily carbonated cola-like brown color. A thin milky line of head at the top that stays clumped in certain areas.

Smell - Not much going on in the scent. Very faint sweetness and malt.

Taste - Not a bad brown ale, though I'm not sure what's Winter-like about it. Light notes of toffee and a bit of caramel. No spice or any other characteristics that stand out. A bit of light fruit.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - I seem to be at a loss for words with this review. I can't exactly pinpoint what I'm tasting. It's a fairly plain brown ale that I don't mind drinking.

Jesse13713, Nov 05, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -28.2%

A: Pours dark cola color, small white head, small amount of lacing down the glass
S: I'm not getting hardly anything here, a hint of sweetness, slight coffee scent
T: Pretty weak, slight dark chocolate taste with some sweetness. A little bit of hop dryness at the end
M: Full bodied, smooth, creamy mouthfeel
D: This beer was not easy to finish, however I did. It didn't really smell or taste like much of anything, however left me feeling a little buzzy. I would not buy this beer again.

loren01, Jun 17, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -26.8%

Appearance- Pours a dark brown/burgandy color with a idecent tan head. The head has NO staying power at all, and leaves just a hint of lace.

Aroma- The aroma is barely there. Just a hint of malt sweetness with some toffee thrown in.

Taste- Taste is fairly simple/ Mostly some malt sweetenss, some coffee overtones, .

Mouthfeel- Medium body, CO2 level good. Mouthfeel is about what you would expect from a brown ales..

Drinkability- It's okay. Nothing great, but not to aweful either.

theopholis, Mar 04, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

abmhighrise, Mar 09, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

jasperska, Dec 02, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured a deep, dark brown with a thin, light tan head that dissipated quickly. A well carbonated beverage. Smell was malt, pure and simple, with mostly caramel aromas with some toastiness coming through. Not much else going on. Taste was similar to smell with some faint spice trying to come through. A little more hops or some other spice would probably do the trick for me. Felt clean on the mouth with lots of body. Personally, I could only have one of these as a change of pace and move on to something else. The caramel malt flavor is a little too much for me.

jhu1995, Dec 30, 2005
2.9/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a rich mahogany that doesn't let a lot of light pass through. There is a half inch of off white foam that shrinks quickly, but leaves a little lacing behind.

The smell i strong, and gives off roasted malts, some chocolate, molasses, some dark fruits, and a little coffee.

There is not too much flavors up front despite the full bodied brown brew. There is active carbonation that helps some piney hop flavors and roasted malts hit the taste buds, but the subdued flavors don't totally mask the boozy nature of this 8% ale. There is a little tinge of alcohol at the end of each sip. The light syrup after feel makes this thick brew leave a lasting presence. I personally don't like that, but it that helps the minimal flavors stick around to balance the booze flavor that otherwise prevails.

All in all it is a decent winter warmer like brown ale for the price. It is a relatively inexpensive, and drinkable, strong brown beer.

BenjaminBlondbeard, Dec 11, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -20.1%

12/25/04- Purchased at Tower Market in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- 12 oz bottle with a freaky picasso-esque drawing on the label. No expiration date, poured into my Shipyard pint glass.

Appearance- Dark brown colored, very small head and decent lacing.

Smell- A sour and bitter scent. Not appeasing my nose. I think it's the kind of yeast that I don't like. The same kind they use in Pyramid maybe.

Taste- Mixed between a IPA and a ESB. Very bitter hops that hit the upper back of my throat. Not liking this. ESB's aren't my thing. There are, however, some decent roasted malt flavors in the background.

Mouthfeel- Medium to high carbonation. Goes down decent considering.

Drinkability- I'll pass on this one. Finished it, but it wasn't easy for me.

GClarkage, Dec 26, 2004

Mrose78, Nov 02, 2014

johnhenryconway, Nov 19, 2011

Served in straight pint glass. I hate when this happens. This is a beer I like a lot, from a brewery that I like a lot. And sitting down for critical review all I can do is rate every thing as average. I still like this beer and will continue to enjoy it, I just thought the actual rating would be higher. A beer worth trying and having several is not a bad idea, just don't expect to be blown away.

beertunes, Sep 27, 2009

A: Pours a dark, ruby red to almost black. Head is pretty nonexistent, but clings to the side of the glass.

S: Smells spicy and piney like a typical winter warmer. Reminds me of Anchor Steam's annual offering, but it actually smells alot better!

T: This might be too subjective, but I gave this an overall below average rating in the taste category. It starts off promising, but finishes way too sweet and malty. I taste the spices, but there's no bitterness to wash it all down with. It leaves a taste like fig newtons on the palette that's not too enjoyable...

M: The mouthfeel is actually right on. If the taste were to back it up, it would be a killer ale.

D: Only a couple would do me for this one. It's just way too sweet, way too thick, and way to spiced to be enjoyable as a session ale. I know that the purists out there are going to chastise me for calling any winter warmer a 'session ale', but some do follow that craving (ie. SN's Celebration Ale). I'm not regretting the purchase, but I'm not going to buy this again this year. Too many other choices out there.

cerveza5150, Nov 11, 2008

Skunkdrool, Dec 10, 2011

swungomonkey, Nov 17, 2012

BMart, Mar 07, 2012

Trevormcraig, Nov 08, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -18.8%

it poured ok, brown amber in appearance with a two finger head that dissipated to ok lacing. this beer smells like smoked meat, kinda sour, hoppy, and malty with nutty undertones.

taste is weak, maltiness, some sweetness, hints of chocolate and nuts with a bitterness that follows.i also tasted the alcohol. the flavors are lacking in complexity and the carbonation leaves quickly,

Graham21, Apr 06, 2006