Tangerine Wheat - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Beer added by: MLegendre on 07-28-2006

to view more.
Ratings: 752 | Reviews: 219
2.23/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Initially tastes like it's going to be full of flavor, but falls flat and comes across as tonic water with a squirt of orange in it.

4.61/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great taste. Citrus blended with wheat, crisp, refreshing.

2.83/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had this beer twice. The first was on tap at a local taproom. The second was when I purchased a 22 some weeks later. My first experience was unexpectedly pleasant. It smelled like tangerines, tasted bright and refreshing, and was perfect for the sunny afternoon. My second experience was not so good. I don't know if it was just the bottle, but it tasted like detergent. I couldn't finish it, and ended up dumping the entire thing.

4.24/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Strong tangerine flavor complimenting the wheat.

3.66/5  rDev +7.6%

BOD 11/6/14. Pours a slightly cloudy light amber gold. Below normal head volume and retention, normal lacing.

Outstanding nose of sweet tangerine that has a nice crisp airiness to it over a rich biscuit base.

Light medium body with a smooth texture. Slightly above normal carbonation with a bit of effervescence in the middle and a nice burst in the finish.

The flavor profile is good, but lacks intensity and comes across as a bit weak. Complexity is slight - it is a weak tangerine over a weak biscuit sweetness. Balance is very good. It begins with weak tangerine over a slight biscuit sweetness that flows into a slightly bitter middle. The finish is a bit crisp and a slight tangerine rind bitterness lingers. Up the flavor intensity and this one becomes outstanding. It's got all the right components in balance, just not enough of them.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Fun wheat from northern Cali which is everywhere for me to buy

3.81/5  rDev +12.1%

Great lite taste...smells amazing, not heavy on the citrius, nice finish!

4.38/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pretty good summer beer, just the right amount of tangerine

Much better than most fruit beers. I'd take this over blue moon any day!

Purchased at BevMo Manhattan Beach.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Tried this on draft this past weekend. Looks very nice, very orange-y. Tangerines definitely appear in the flavor profile, but this beer seems a bit thinner than I was expecting, almost watery. It was good and enjoyable, yet not a world-class beer by any means.

Worth a try... as most beers are.

4.54/5  rDev +33.5%

I'm a sucker for citrusy beers.

3.49/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice summertime beer, not filling, nice tangerine finish, and I like citrus.

4.49/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is my wife's favorite beer - and she hates beer. I have to keep it in the fridge. So, for those who are not looking for a hoppy, sour, palate destroying taste, this is the beer for you. As soon as you pop the cap, a burst of tangerine smell hits you and then when you are finished, the taste lingers like a wheat biscuit on the back of your tongue.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good summer beer. Good summer beer.

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

Like a Belgian White, but tastier.

Beer and a mimosa??? I am sold!

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%

Too much tangerine, but enough beer.

1.62/5  rDev -52.4%

When I rate a beer I try to be objective. Even if I don't particularly appreciate a certain style I try to rate it according to other beers in the style that I have tried. I have been to Lost Coast Brewery and it was a great experience. However Tangerine Wheat was anything but great. I hope it was an old bottle or my glass was used to clean a toilet. It was very very orangey but after about a second I had to force a swallow and drain pour the rest. I'll try it one more time and see, but as of this review. Avoid!

1.15/5  rDev -66.2%

Smells like orange soda.
Palate: cheap orangeade with some detergent on the arrival. Midpalate to finish full of wheat and baking soda.
Disgusting

- tangerine smell and initial taste, sweet, bitter aftertaste
- too sweet at the start, bitterness a little bit unpleasant

4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

Loved this beer. Nice tangerine flavor without being too strong. Very refreshing.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

Tangerine Wheat - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this has got a one finer thick finely porous white head,thin lateral lacing, and a hazy light golden body.

I can certainly smell the tangerine, it shines through among all the other very pleasant and refreshing scents I'm picking up with this brew. This smells like summer in a glass to me.

I taste crisp wheat brew elements with the perfect addition of true tangerine flavor. Nothing ade-y or fructose syrupy is present in this brew, just natural and delicious!

Mouthfeel is clean and smooth. I can't hardly tell I just took a hearty swig of beer.

Overall a solid 4.5 for Tangerine Wheat - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe. I was pleasantly surprised by the non-artificiality of the tangerine flavor.

2.7/5  rDev -20.6%

Really not impressed. Too big on the fruit character, loses the hops and malt in the sweetness. A little metallic as well.

4.24/5  rDev +24.7%

West coast, west coast, west coast boyeeee.

Appearance (3.75) : Fluffy vanilla-colored three finger head atop a hazy golden glow of wonder. Opacity about 60%. Head retention is good.

Smell (4.75) : Fresh tangerines, straight from the orchard. (okay, I've never been in an orchard, but I have seen fresh produce...) Yeah, mega tangerine... I mean, it just smells like a tangerine. It should win an award for that. It actually smells like I'm opening a tangerine at the breakfast table. I doubt I'd be able to discern a difference blindfolded between this and the real deal. I'll give it a 4.75 if just for the wow factor. There is a little sugary sweetness behind it, but I'll chalk it up to a really sweet tangerine.

Taste (4.5) : To me this is like drinking a witbier and sucking on a Tic-Tac. Dude, it's that good. It finishes with style and leaves me wanting more. I just want to keep drinking it. Oh, I guess I should be objective here : some wheat and grains, citrus rind, and finishes gloriously with tangerine and/or orange tic-tac. Gotta love beer.

Mouthfeel (4) : Creamy, medium-bodied, lightly carbonated. Ends effervescently dry.

Overall (4.24) : Would I drink this again? Dude, sign me up to buy cases. This is a pleasant beer all around. The smell blew me away, and the taste did little to sway that opinion. Mouthfeel is spot on for the style, and what else is left? The design of the bottle is catchy, too. Tangerine Wheat is fab.

to view more.