Tangerine Wheat - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Beer added by: MLegendre on 07-28-2006

Ratings: 778 | Reviews: 223
Reviews by chickenandrice:
2.76/5  rDev -18.8%

I love the Lost Coast Great White, so this is my first adventure to another beer from Lost Coast. The packaging from Lost Coast is very attractive and really develops a strong brand appeal to myself. Considering where the beer is coming from, NorCal, I hope the extension of the product line brings more excitement.

A: Little to no head, dull is the best term. There is nothing that draws me to this beer, I see it and think flat orange pop.

S: Great tangerine smell. There is a malt smell that is not strong.

T: The taste is sharp. Subtle tangerine, with the typical fruit bitters at the end.

M: Flat. Thin. Dull.

D: I am not enjoying this beer. I will continue to try other Lost Coast brews but will let my wife drink these ones!

Cheers!

2.23/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Initially tastes like it's going to be full of flavor, but falls flat and comes across as tonic water with a squirt of orange in it.

2.83/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a pale straw, somewhat golden color with little tiny bits of white sediment floating around in the beer - is this supposed to simulate pulp?! Tiny bit of haze in the middle, but decent clarity for the most part, especially for a wheat beer. The big white head froths up fast but tames itself quickly and reduces to nothing more than a ring within a minute. The nose smells like Tang. Orange Tang. To be more precise, artificial orange drink. Not orange juice, but orange "drink". It has that kind of dry, powdery smell to it. And the taste pretty much follows right along with that. A slightly tart and tangy snap of orange and tangerine; however, it's not as natural tasting as I'd hoped - kind of artificial and chalky on the palate. It seems a bit diluted, too, like some of the flavor had gone missing somewhere. The wheat flavor is abound, but it engulfed, for the most part, by the tangerine flavors. It kind of has a weird, medicinal, chewing vitamin-like aftertaste. Thin body, high carbonation.

This seems like it would be better paired for a hot summer day by the pool or just after finishing up the yard work on a 90 degree day. It could be good, but unfortunately the tangerine flavor is a bit too artificial in character.

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pub glass.

A: A dark straw colored beer w/ slightly off-white head. Very hazy with lots of sizable yeast clumps floating around, which could turn some people off.

S: Wow. They're not kidding around with the tangerine. The tangerine citrus smell is very prominent and is quite similar to Tang, albeit not as strong. Also similar to orange Chapstick. Smells a little artificial (although the bottle says "natural flavor"). Some wheat tanginess. Yeast.

T: Fruit Loops marinated in orange soda. Seriously, it tastes exactly like orange colored Fruit Loops to me, and not just with the fruit flavor itself but also the grain. The fruit hits upfront and the grain notes rise to the surface on the midpalate to the finish, just like the cereal. I think the bottle said "a hint of tangerine" or something like that, but, nope, this is tangerine in your face. Also reminds me of Orange Crush or Sunkist soda. Bitter tanginess in the aftertaste. Some yeast. It's actually quite bitter from midpalate to the aftertaste.

M: Not bad, actually. Medium body, no doubt helped by the yeast in suspension.

D: Would be ok on a hot day. Could drink a couple, but I would probably reach for a good witbier instead.

Overall I think this beer is going to polarize. Some people would like it, and it could be approachable for the uninitiated beer drinker who also likes fruit flavors. The base beer is probably pretty good, but the tangerine flavor is too prominent and just not natural-tasting enough for me. Not bad, but also not my thing. But, I wouldn't refuse it if offered on a hot day.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Absolutely no head. The appearance is that of a mix of beer and cider. It didn't have the typical wheat beer cloudiness.

S: The smell is actually quite nice. You don't get a tangerine beer without knowing that it will be citrus-heavy. The smell isn't overpowering, and is the highlight of the beer for me.

T: The taste really fell flat for me. It's almost as if the tangerine taste was from the bitter zest, rather than the sweeter fruit. It had a fair taste, but the lack of head was kind of a turn-off for me. In the end, the bitterness left an aftertaste that hindered the beer.

M: Nothing initially stood out about the mouthfeel. After a bit of pondering, the beer feels a bit over-carbonated. This may be splitting hairs, though.

O: I'm a fan of fruit beers, when it's done right. This one was intriguing to me, but it didn't really scratch my citrus itch. I don't think I will be giving this one a round two.

3.12/5  rDev -8.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer pours a hazy orange golden color with a small soapy white head. The head fades out quickly leaving just a thin ring of slick bubbles on top of the beer. There is very little in the way of lacing.

Smell: The aroma hit me right in the nose from the pop of the cap. It has a big bold freshly zested orange/tangerine peel and pith character over pale wheat bready notes.

Taste/Palate: It has a thin base of mildly sweet wheat malt with a heavy pungent dose of orange oil and zest with pith. The tangerine seems to add to malt sweetness and at the same time add a slight bitter orange character as well. Hops are well hidden but offer a slight herbal bitterness that picks up on the orange bitterness. The mouth feel is a bit thin and the carbonation comes off fizzy.

Notes: This one was way off balance and too light on the palate. Overall I was just not impressed with this beer.

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Hey, this stuff is ok. Pours good and hazy, looks like we're entering flavor country. Taste and aroma hit you up with the obvious citrus tangerine, not overwhelming, but more than enough to make no mistake its a tangerine flavored beer.

Mouthfeel, remarkably consistent for a fruit beer, they usuall falter down the stretch. Drinkable, although not worth $7 a 6er, unless its for your old lady and she's hot.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap served in a pint glass

A - Clear goldenrod yellow with one finger white head and minimal lacing min head retention

S - Zesty Tangerine and toasted malts

T - Not too sweet, decent balance with a lot of tangerine and toasted malt backbone.

M - medium body, medium carbonation.

O - Decent fruit beer, would only get it whilst in the mood.

3.34/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the brewpub.
Pale golden worth a decent head. Some spotty lacing.

Clear and surprisingly strong tangerine aroma.

While the first sip was best, it did not get cloying and I had no trouble finishing it.

Light body with lively, medium-high carbonation.

O. A bit artificial and a tad too sweet. High grade wine cooler substitute? Still, tasty and refreshing.

1.62/5  rDev -52.4%

When I rate a beer I try to be objective. Even if I don't particularly appreciate a certain style I try to rate it according to other beers in the style that I have tried. I have been to Lost Coast Brewery and it was a great experience. However Tangerine Wheat was anything but great. I hope it was an old bottle or my glass was used to clean a toilet. It was very very orangey but after about a second I had to force a swallow and drain pour the rest. I'll try it one more time and see, but as of this review. Avoid!

2.45/5  rDev -27.9%

Appearance- Poured into a weizen glass, a spritzy white head rises no more than a fat finger, and quickly releases to the sky. The body is a nice burnt orange core surrounded by a vibrant yellow.

Smell- It took me a second to put my finger on it, but this beer smells like Fruity Pebbles, but mixed with a bit of screwdriver (the drink).

Taste- Tangerine tastes like it smells. It's like an adult version of the milk left over after a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. The wheat shows itself on the back end, but the tangerine fruity, juiciness dominates. Reminds me a lot of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat, or maybe it's there Berry Wheat. Either way, the tangerine and fruit flavors taste like they've been added from concentrate, and don't give me the authentic tangerine flavor I'm looking for. I know I've said this before, but why don't breweries use German wheat yeast strains for these beers they're adding these types of fruit to instead of leaving us with this bland, cardboard wheat flavor to back the fruit. Man, the more I drink this, the more I feel like I'm drinking Budweiser cut with juice like a junior high girl.

MF- The tangerine "flavor" clings to the sides of my tongue and it becomes pretty unpleasant. The carbonation is medium-high and the body is pretty light because of it.

Drinkability- Saying this is a beer for junior high girls would be disrespectful to junior high girls' palates. It's nauseating how fake this beer tastes. I can't even give this beer the ol' "would probably be good in the scorching sun" label often given to shitty lagers and wheat beers. I don't like to be a hater, but I feel abused paying $3 for this "beer."

3.59/5  rDev +5.6%

22oz bomber. "Tangerine, tangerine, living reflection from a dream..."

This beer pours a hazy, medium golden orange hue, with two fingers of rather loosely foamy, bubbly and soapy dirty white head, which fizzles away post haste, leaving a bit of sparse remote islet lace around the glass.

It smells of sweet, almost Starburst-like citrusy tangerine, and some fairly faint and obfuscated grainy wheat malt. The taste is more strong, somewhat zingy and sweetly fruity tangerine, in a somewhat fake fruit juice kind of way, again with a slightly honeyed, grainy, and wheaty backbone, just one not all that appreciable under the specific guest ingredient hegemony. There's also a normal weedy bitterness that seems out of whack with the pervasive fruitiness.

The carbonation is moderate, just a soft, kind of clumsy frothiness, the body a wavering medium weight, in the manner of stale fruit juice, and smooth in the very same vector. It finishes with a still prevalent tangy tangerine-inflected wheatiness, like this was a private couple sort of thing.

Not having this particular fruit (though it's not all that different from navel oranges, IMHO) as part of my diet, it was enjoyable to see it so prominent in the profile of this wheat beer, and tasty enough at that, if you're OK with such brazen simplicity in your doctored brews.

Lost Coast- Tangerine

Appearance- Dark orange with no head.
Smell- Strong Tangerine/ peach/ grapefruit.
Mouthfeel- Sweet peach flavor, mild citrus hops. Slight wheat/ hay/ grain taste.
Mouthfeel- Sweet and crisp. Like a Fresca soda.

Overall- A candy tasting beer. Not bad if you're going to drink half a pint. Novelty!!

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden orange with a white finger width head and fair retention. Leaves a thin layer of microbubbles on the surface,

Smell - Predominant tangerine aroma. Subtle touch of wheat. It's a nice smelling beer, I'll give it that.

Taste - Tangerine up front, tangerine mid-taste, and tangerine in the finish. Touches briefly on wheat. The overwhelming tangerine bittersweetness becomes cloying sip after sip, and then the strong tangerine zest/skin comes through in the finish that truly makes it nigh undrinkable. It's just too damn much tangerine!

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Fair carbonation. Crisp finish.

Overall - While it starts off well enough, the tangerine carries too much into the finish, leaving an overpowering sensation on the palate. A near headache inducing experience after one beer. I once bought a sixer several years ago when it first hit the scene. I couldn't get through two before I gave the rest of the sixer away. I swore I'd never try this beer again, but once I began to review beers I knew I'd have to give it one more round before putting it to rest forever. It's a shame, this could be a great beer if it were toned down and given considerably better balance. As it is, it's awful.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a clean orangish-yellow with carbonation bubbles coming to the top. Nose is wheat and fruit, the tangerine comes through nicely. Taste is malt and wheat with the tangerine present but not overpowering or oversweet. Mouthfeel is light bodied and very carbonated. Rather refreshing overall. I enjoyed it at the pool while on vacation in CA.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy amber, with sediment visible, although the bottle was dated over a year ago, so that's taken into consideration. Limited suds, no lace.

Nose proves to be soapy. I get dish soap, to be exact. Would make for a fetching hand-wash, but not beer.

Tastes similar to the aroma, like slightly carbonated soap, with a hint of wheat and citrus at the finish. Definitely not impressive.

4.18/5  rDev +22.9%

The Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast is very good. If your hanging with some hotties and want them to try a good fruit style beer....this is it. The appearance I thought was lacking...the color was a cloudy burnt yellow color. The was zero head present and no lacing. The smell was AMAZING....like an orange Life Savor....very good! The taste had a big orange/tangerine taste with hints of spices. This could be compared to a Blue Moon with Orange Peel. The mouthfeel was very smooth and easy to drink....great summer beer.

4.07/5  rDev +19.7%

*Now I'm not usually a fan of these Shock Top Esque American Wheat Beers but this one took me by surprise by how balanced the sweet tangerine and hop bitterness was.

A: Orange in hue with a fuzzy head.

S: Citrus, Tangerine, American Hops

T: Malty Tangerine with some hop flavor. Tastes almost like a tangerine cool-aid beer.

MF: slightly High carbonation. Thick mouthfeel due to the wheat.

D: one of the most refreshing ales I've had so far. This is perfect for spring/summer on the beach, bbq, Poolside, anywhere in the sun basically. This beer is alot more intricate in flavor and aroma than beers like shock-top or blue moon IMO.

4.52/5  rDev +32.9%

Purchased in Weaverville, CA at Tops Market.

This beer had a pretty foggy/hazzy appearance. Smelled like a pretty nice tangerine. The taste was quite surprising, I had never had a fruity beer before, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. There was medium carbonation from what I noticed. In my opinion, fruity beers have kinda been more of a 'girlie' thing, but after finally having one, I can say this would be a good beer to have on a hot day for any guy. Enjoyable when you just want to kick back.

2.67/5  rDev -21.5%

Glass looks like tangerine juice, with a nice white head.

You notice the citrus in the nose, but probably couldn't identify tangerine unless you looked at the bottle.

Citrus hints in the mouth, balanced by the wheat. Nothing stands out in the mouth, though the tangerine comes through in the finish.

There is a subtle refreshing carbonation in the mouth that would quench a thirst on a hot day, but I wouldn't want to drink more of this than I had to.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Wow, that's a lot of tangerine. Really. I mean if you're into super fruity beers and are especially fond of tangerines, this baby is up your alley. Otherwise I advise you to avoid this beer. There is a little bit of clean wheat malt flavor, but like I'm saying - tangerine, tangerine, tangerine.

2.15/5  rDev -36.8%

12oz bottle via Beermasons. Poured into a Great Divide goblet.

Pours a dull orange, reminiscent of a jaded Irn-Bru with a slightly off-white head of foam that fades too soon.

Tangerine is certainly there in the smell of this. In fact, it is pretty well the only thing there. A kind of earthy, sweet tangerine smell that reminds me of another soft drink sold in Australia, whose name currently evades me (something Spring).

Taste is also soda like, plenty of sweet tangerine there and that is about it. Any wheat beer base is totally dominated by the addition of the tangerine.

Syrupy and soft drink like, it is not overly refreshing. Feels thicker than it should, perhaps that is the syrup on the front of this.

Overall, as soft drink, it would be ok, as a beer it is less than ok. Very disappointing and difficult to finish.

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%

What a great, refreshing smell!! Clean, citrus, fresh, orange.

A dark, not bright, yellow color with a thin white foam that all but disappears in the glass.
The flavor is a strong clear orange/tangerine.

Light on the palate with a lingering aftertaste. This may have merely been psychological, but I couldn't get the thought of a cleaning solvent out of my head.

I wanted to like the beer. I love the smell. I love orange in my alcohol. I just couldn't get past it.

3.11/5  rDev -8.5%

Traded a Cable Car and a Toronado 20th to largadeer for a bottle of this and an Indian Wells sampler pack. Figured I should finally put up my earlier review for this beer after Chris brought up my name in his recent review.

A - Hazy orangish-golden color with a fizzy white head, which I don't think is a terrible look for such a beer. It's meant to be light, fruity, and refreshing, and this fits the bill.

S - Lots of tangerine and some wheat. Really not too much else to it.

T - Tangerine and wheat, what you would expect. A tiny bit tart. Not great but it does a good job of being what it's supposed to be.

M - Light, crisp palate with medium-high carbonation.

D - Pretty high. You know, I'm not a huge fan of fruity wheat beers, but this is supposed to be a fruity wheat beer, and considering that, it's not that bad.

3.02/5  rDev -11.2%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A: Cloudy and burnt orange hue with a half inch head.

S: Strong citrus notes with the sweetness of malt. I also noticed faint hints of wheat.

T: As the smell indicates a strong tangerine hit initially, gradually fades. A bitter aftertaste is left on the back of the tongue, not much sweetness.

M: Light and not as thick as expected. The carbonation can be felt over the tongue, quite tingly.

O: I would not be so quick to buy this next time, but it was not bad. It was worth a try. I will say it was not among my favorites but I have had others I liked less. In short it is worth a try if you are looking for something on a warm pleasant day.

Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe