Tangerine Wheat - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: MLegendre on 07-28-2006

1.31/5  rDev -60.3%

12oz poured into pint glass

A- Pours a light orange color with absolutely zero head or lacing. pretty bad if i should say so

S-ugh, unbelievably strong tangerine, it smells like tangerine scented cleaning solution. very metallic too. not sure if it was ok to drink

T/M-exactly how it tasted. tasted no wheat considering i drank tangerine scented cleaning solution. the body was fine though, a little too bubbly though, felt like soda

O-not a good fruit beer whatsoever, very poor beer. could not even finish it (514 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -50.9%

When I rate a beer I try to be objective. Even if I don't particularly appreciate a certain style I try to rate it according to other beers in the style that I have tried. I have been to Lost Coast Brewery and it was a great experience. However Tangerine Wheat was anything but great. I hope it was an old bottle or my glass was used to clean a toilet. It was very very orangey but after about a second I had to force a swallow and drain pour the rest. I'll try it one more time and see, but as of this review. Avoid! (517 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I normally enjoy fruit beers but this beer was a huge disappointment.

Pours an orange-gold with a white head that very quickly disappears. Lots and lots of sediment in the glass. Normally I like bottle-conditioned beers with the yeast poured into the glass but that was a mistake with this beer.

Lots of orange aroma when i opened the bottle but after it is in the glass it smells like Tang powder.

And it pretty much tastes like tang. I'm not kidding. It starts off sweet but then ends with an odd chemical powdery taste to it. I'm sure there are some hops and malt in there somewhere but it is hard to pick it up. Frankly, this beer tastes like my first attempt at homebrewing when I went crazy and tried to make an peach IPA, which was a horrible, horrible idea.

Thin mouthfeel.

Don't buy this beer. I really can't help but wonder if this beer really has tang in it? This is the worst beer I've had in a long time. (923 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -49.7%

A - Orangish/Amber color, small white head, minimal lacing.

S - Strong tangerine smell. Very sweet, definately living up to the name. Citrusy wheat beer smell comes through, but overpowering tangerine type aroma.

T - Truly terrible. I can't tell this is a beer, tastes like some bad flavored fruit soda. Horrible artificial tangerine taste, reminds me of tang.

M - Little heavier than light, but is this soda? Has about the same carbonation level. Yuck.

D - This is probably a great beer for people who are not really into beer and like soda or fruit drinks. It tastes absolutely disgusting and has horrible mouthfeel, would never do it again. (647 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -48.5%

Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat Beer...on tap

Appearance-light orange color with a white head that doesn't linger too long. Disappears quickly.

Smell-obvious aroma of sweet fruit, lemon peel, sugar, alcohol mix.

Taste/Mouthfeel-overwhelming sweetness, fruit flavor is lost as the sugar and sweetness mixed with alcohol makes for an orange soda like taste, not at all appealing, very light watery mouthfeel. On the end is an aspirin like aftertaste.

Drinkability-too sweet, too muddled, too syrupy

Overall-I normally hate to trash a beer but for me this one honestly crashed and burned, not at all a good mix of flavors. (619 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -44.2%

Appearance: flat orangey gold, orange crush colour. No head to speak of. Cloudy.

Smell: Orange creamsicle. Bleh.

Taste: see above. One-dimensional, sickly sweet chemical orangeyness like you'd get out of a bottle of supermarket soda. This is barely beer.

Mouthfeel: actually refreshing and tart with good carbonation, the only decent thing to be had here. Wheaty dryness at the end of the sip

Drinkability: refreshing and zinging with carbonation, easy to drink despite its problems. (488 characters)

Got this one in a trade with nickd717. Thanks, Nick. I'm sorry to say that I don't quite understand your fervor for this beer.

Appearance: Orange, fizzy and cloudy. The head dissipates in a matter of seconds. It's like pouring soda.

Smell: Tang.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fermented Tang. This literally tastes exactly like Tang, minus the sweetness.

Drinkability: If I had kids, this is what I'd put in their lunchboxes. Personally, I'll stick to beer that doesn't taste like soda. (478 characters)

Pours a hazy yellow-orange colour, with a soda-bubbling head that fizzes and fizzles, leaving absolutely nothing whatsoever. I looks like a soft drink. Extremely flat and empty, and thin and sugary. I'm unimpressed.

Nose is hugely sweet and citrussy, almost indistinguishable from Fanta. OK, perhaps it is a little more genuinely fruity than Fanta, but jeez it's not far off. Little else. It's weak, sweet and insipid.

Taste is unfortunate, even given the nose. Initial faint tangerine character on the front, which gets muted and then smashed by a grainy wheat acidity that is just different enough from the citrus acidity to throw the whole palate off balance. Very light feel, not even with the carbonation you expect for the sweetness. Finish is dichotomously weak and cloying.

Very unpleasant beer this one. It's not a refreshing fruit beer, it's an unfortunate and insipid one. Very little to recommend it, even if you're a fan of the style. (950 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -39.1%

I drank this from the bottle into a pint glass.

The beer pours a dark gold with a litle hint of gold with very light head and lacing.

The aroma is very strong, all tangerine, very sweet and citrusy.

The taste is horrible, one of the worse things I've ever head. Its super carbonated and fizzy, worse than drinking a super carbonated sparlking water. To make it worse the taste is horrible, its all fizz, not sweetness at all, just biting fizz.

The feel is horrible, and this is a total drank pourer.

Nothing worth drinking, not a fruit or lambic style beer. (564 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -35.8%

Was looking forward to trying this beer at a relatively new bar nearby my house. At first I enjoyed the aroma - it has a very strong tangerine smell to it. The first few sips were ok, but the more I drank through my pint, the more and more it started to taste like Tang. The Tangerine is way too strong in this beer without any other flavors to complement it. It honestly didn't taste like a wheat beer, let alone a beer at all. Unfortunately it was a disappointment. (467 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -34.8%

12oz bottle via Beermasons. Poured into a Great Divide goblet.

Pours a dull orange, reminiscent of a jaded Irn-Bru with a slightly off-white head of foam that fades too soon.

Tangerine is certainly there in the smell of this. In fact, it is pretty well the only thing there. A kind of earthy, sweet tangerine smell that reminds me of another soft drink sold in Australia, whose name currently evades me (something Spring).

Taste is also soda like, plenty of sweet tangerine there and that is about it. Any wheat beer base is totally dominated by the addition of the tangerine.

Syrupy and soft drink like, it is not overly refreshing. Feels thicker than it should, perhaps that is the syrup on the front of this.

Overall, as soft drink, it would be ok, as a beer it is less than ok. Very disappointing and difficult to finish. (830 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -33.9%

Bomber- pours a cloudy dull orange with thin soapy head and little lacing. Nose- big orange juice, five alive beverage smell that overpowers any malt in the nose. Taste- stale fake orange juice. Has a very mineral dryness to it. Little flavour from the malt. A screw driver would be much more satisfying if one was looking for an orange flavoured adult beverage. (362 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -33.6%

22 oz served into a russian river goblet

pours a pale hazy golden color with a small head.

heavy heavy citrus smell. almost smells like orange glo. would be "that guy" and say its overwhelming but im finding it refreshing

alas the taste fails me. taste like the orange cleaner i mentioned above. its too overpowering. at least i know my liver will be squeaky clean now

i mean if your in the mood for something unusual try it. or if you cant get those pesky stains off your liver, try it (491 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Hugely disappointing. Has zero head and little carbonation.

The smell is that of a non distinctive beer with some orange based cleaner.

The taste isn't horrible but not really good. I am not tasting much of a wheat ale, it's not bready nor is there a hint of yeast. I do get the Orange flavor but like the smell, it seems like someone added a hit of OJ to a Pabst or something.

This is just not that good. Hoping I have one bad bottle because otherwise I am stuck with 5 more of these. (491 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

The aroma makes a promise that the flavor doesn't keep. Smells like a basket of oranges, but falls flat and comes across as tonic water with a squirt of orange in it. (167 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -30.9%

Being a fan of Downtown brown from lost coast, I decided to try this beer as part of a mixed six pack from Total wines. This review is from a small tasting, with my wife, and two friends.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a FW snifter tasting glass.

A: Semi translucent. Not cloudy, but slightly clear orange in color, with a small ring of head, no real lacing.

S: Strong tangerines, and cough syrup. No zest, wheat, or hops at all.

T: Extemely light wheat taste, very syrupy sweet tangarine, and that's about it. Surprisingly, there is not much else going on in this beer. Pretty sure they use some type of syrup, or juice concentrate, and not fresh tanageries. Given that it's 5.0% ABV, it's just crazy sticky sweet.

M: Thin feel, and very sticky/syrupy, too sweet. Light to medium carbonation.

O: Too sweet for me, and lacks balance, granted it's a fruit beer, but for such low ABV, and like the fruit, it should be refreshing, lighter, even crisper. I'd pass on this again. Glad I split this bottle. (1,012 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -28.8%

New Beer Friday!

Appearance - Pours a...drum roll...hazy tangerine color only achieving about a finger of quickly dissipating head despite a vigorous pour. Little to no lacing is left on the glas.

Smell - No overpowering smells are noticeable - obviously there is a distinct tangerine aroma along with some spices and bready/malty characteristics.

Taste - Okay, no joke, I want to almost copy paste what jrallen34 posted here. No joke, the first thing I thought was I was drinking a slightly tangerine flavored sparkling water. Extremely carbonated and as jrallen said, "fizzy". It has that CO2 bite you get from sparkling waters but no sweetness (also distinct in that). I honestly think I am going to drain pour this. I have never done that before but my god this is a sickly tasting ?beer? [edit] The more I taste this the more "chemically" tasting it becomes and I swear it reminds me of the orange glow you use to clean car grease and oil off your hands. I feel like I'm literally drinking a beer made from that stuff, and it tastes probably how it would if it actually was made from it. Yuck.

Mouthfeel - Gross - overly carbonated and fizzy.

Drinkability - None. I gave this another try but honestly, with the insane amounts of carbonation, lack of flavor, mouthfeel, etc. I just can't justify my wasting both calories and my taste buds on this when I have a fresh Pliny sitting in the refrigerator. I think I may try another new beer first because I can't even get past half a glass of this. Truly a sad excuse for a beer and I will avoid at all costs from now on. (1,577 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -28.5%

I'm not going to spend an hour detailing every aspect of this one.

Tangerines are evident big time on the nose and to lesser extent on the taste...both though come off as artificial to me...the taste is of sweet artificial tangerine flavoring..just doesn't taste good to me or feel right...syrupy almost.... nice idea with the tangerines but this is not done well and is not one I would drink again. (400 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Cloudy orange body with virtually no head to speak of save for a *little* bit of patchy frost.
Smell is absolutely terrific considering what this beer is. Smells pretty much like a Sunkist orange soda. Now I'm really intrigued!
Oh my...not at all what I was expecting. Very bitter; actually tastes like trying to eat orange rind with a bit of citrus furniture wax in your mouth. In fact, there really doesn't seem to be much else present here outside of this awful, bitter, orange peel taste. How disappointing.
Mouthfeel is bland and lifeless; no carbonation to speak of, really.
I had such hi hopes for this one, too. What a shame. (633 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -27.9%

Appearance> mellow warmth. hazy. medium liveliness. Tiny head with very tiny bubbles. This frothy head dissipates quickly but leaves a shimmering gossamer of lacing. Looks good but I expected more of a head.

Smell> Tangerine. Delicious but overpowering any other scent.

Taste>Not sure if it is the hideous mothfeel or the taste that is causing the brunt of the problem, but something makes this beer far more reminiscent of flavored mineral water than anything resembling beer. If you have ever had any of the natural flavored Calistoga spring waters, you will know exactly what I'm talking about. There are hints of wheat, but you have to look for them. HARD, and they disappear faster than Keyser Soze. I think Lost Coast has a lot of room to improve here. The hang is almost unbearable because it lacks any and all beer taste. Honestly.

Mouf> Overly carbonated. Dreadful. Like being sprayed in the mouth with a seltzer bottle.

Drinkability> Nope. Couldn't even get half way on the pint before giving it up to a friend, and she wouldn't drink it because she didn't want to waste her alcohol intake on something that tasted like "bad Clearly Canadian." (1,172 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -27.3%

Had on tap in a bar at Mt. Shasta in California.

Had a foamy white head which went away pretty quick. The beer is a hazy orange color and smells of, well, oranges. Like orange candy, actually. It pretty much covered up anything else that might be present in the smell.

The taste of the beer knocked me back a couple steps and not in a good way. This beer tastes like Windex smells. I realize that what I'm tasting is probably orange zest from orange peels but I just can't get cleaning solution out of my mind. A good hop presence keeps the beer from being completely one dimensional.

I would recommend this beer to people really into fruit beers but I could live my whole life and never have this again. (707 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -26.1%

It looked alright to start. Appeared pale yellow and had a very nice white head that lasted considerably longer than I expected. It only went away towards the bottem of the glass. The smell was of tangerine extract, definitely not fresh tangerine, and it completely masked any scent of beer. The taste was another step away from beer, as it tasted entirely like tang. The carbonation helped this out a bit and made it seem a little more like soda, but nothing could make this actually seem like a beer after such an intense fruit smell and taste. It may be easily quaffable if you aren't looking for beer to drink, but for me, I like my beer to taste a little like beer. (670 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -26.1%

This was on special at one of the few places in my hometown that has a really decent selection of good brews. Served in a 20 oz. weizenbier glass.

A: Less cloudy than most wheat beers. The color was the most impressive aspect of this beer for me. It had a moderately thick head with nice lacing all the way down the empty glass.

S: Strong tangerine and light floral notes.

T: Very little wheat or hop flavor. Half way through the glass it started to remind me of cough syrup. Bitter citrus zest flavor overpowered all other flavors that might have been lurking in there.

M: Medium carbonation, mildy creamy. Not bad at all.

O: I had high hopes, and I really tried to enjoy this beer but the medicinal quality of it really ruined it for me. (745 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance- Poured into a weizen glass, a spritzy white head rises no more than a fat finger, and quickly releases to the sky. The body is a nice burnt orange core surrounded by a vibrant yellow.

Smell- It took me a second to put my finger on it, but this beer smells like Fruity Pebbles, but mixed with a bit of screwdriver (the drink).

Taste- Tangerine tastes like it smells. It's like an adult version of the milk left over after a bowl of Fruity Pebbles. The wheat shows itself on the back end, but the tangerine fruity, juiciness dominates. Reminds me a lot of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat, or maybe it's there Berry Wheat. Either way, the tangerine and fruit flavors taste like they've been added from concentrate, and don't give me the authentic tangerine flavor I'm looking for. I know I've said this before, but why don't breweries use German wheat yeast strains for these beers they're adding these types of fruit to instead of leaving us with this bland, cardboard wheat flavor to back the fruit. Man, the more I drink this, the more I feel like I'm drinking Budweiser cut with juice like a junior high girl.

MF- The tangerine "flavor" clings to the sides of my tongue and it becomes pretty unpleasant. The carbonation is medium-high and the body is pretty light because of it.

Drinkability- Saying this is a beer for junior high girls would be disrespectful to junior high girls' palates. It's nauseating how fake this beer tastes. I can't even give this beer the ol' "would probably be good in the scorching sun" label often given to shitty lagers and wheat beers. I don't like to be a hater, but I feel abused paying $3 for this "beer." (1,656 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -25.8%

12oz bottle into wheat glass.

A - Slightly hazy yellow copper with a large frothy white head.

S - Smells like tangerine sweet tarts. Maybe some mango and lemon as well.

T - Tastes nothing like the aroma. There is a medicinal tangerine citrus flavor that is weak and tends to linger throughout. A stale bready characteristic is evident. No hops or bitterness present. Very unpleasant overall.

M - Light and watery. Average carbonation.

O - Not a very good beer. Reminded me of a weak tangerine cough syrup. It was hard to finish the bottle, but I did it. Never again. (571 characters)

Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe