Tangerine Wheat - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: MLegendre on 07-28-2006

1.15/5  rDev -66.1%

Smells like orange soda.
Palate: cheap orangeade with some detergent on the arrival. Midpalate to finish full of wheat and baking soda.
Disgusting

1.25/5  rDev -63.1%

1.25/5  rDev -63.1%

1.31/5  rDev -61.4%

12oz poured into pint glass

A- Pours a light orange color with absolutely zero head or lacing. pretty bad if i should say so

S-ugh, unbelievably strong tangerine, it smells like tangerine scented cleaning solution. very metallic too. not sure if it was ok to drink

T/M-exactly how it tasted. tasted no wheat considering i drank tangerine scented cleaning solution. the body was fine though, a little too bubbly though, felt like soda

O-not a good fruit beer whatsoever, very poor beer. could not even finish it

1.62/5  rDev -52.2%

When I rate a beer I try to be objective. Even if I don't particularly appreciate a certain style I try to rate it according to other beers in the style that I have tried. I have been to Lost Coast Brewery and it was a great experience. However Tangerine Wheat was anything but great. I hope it was an old bottle or my glass was used to clean a toilet. It was very very orangey but after about a second I had to force a swallow and drain pour the rest. I'll try it one more time and see, but as of this review. Avoid!

1.64/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I normally enjoy fruit beers but this beer was a huge disappointment.

Pours an orange-gold with a white head that very quickly disappears. Lots and lots of sediment in the glass. Normally I like bottle-conditioned beers with the yeast poured into the glass but that was a mistake with this beer.

Lots of orange aroma when i opened the bottle but after it is in the glass it smells like Tang powder.

And it pretty much tastes like tang. I'm not kidding. It starts off sweet but then ends with an odd chemical powdery taste to it. I'm sure there are some hops and malt in there somewhere but it is hard to pick it up. Frankly, this beer tastes like my first attempt at homebrewing when I went crazy and tried to make an peach IPA, which was a horrible, horrible idea.

Thin mouthfeel.

Don't buy this beer. I really can't help but wonder if this beer really has tang in it? This is the worst beer I've had in a long time.

1.66/5  rDev -51%

A - Orangish/Amber color, small white head, minimal lacing.

S - Strong tangerine smell. Very sweet, definately living up to the name. Citrusy wheat beer smell comes through, but overpowering tangerine type aroma.

T - Truly terrible. I can't tell this is a beer, tastes like some bad flavored fruit soda. Horrible artificial tangerine taste, reminds me of tang.

M - Little heavier than light, but is this soda? Has about the same carbonation level. Yuck.

D - This is probably a great beer for people who are not really into beer and like soda or fruit drinks. It tastes absolutely disgusting and has horrible mouthfeel, would never do it again.

1.7/5  rDev -49.9%

Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat Beer...on tap

Appearance-light orange color with a white head that doesn't linger too long. Disappears quickly.

Smell-obvious aroma of sweet fruit, lemon peel, sugar, alcohol mix.

Taste/Mouthfeel-overwhelming sweetness, fruit flavor is lost as the sugar and sweetness mixed with alcohol makes for an orange soda like taste, not at all appealing, very light watery mouthfeel. On the end is an aspirin like aftertaste.

Drinkability-too sweet, too muddled, too syrupy

Overall-I normally hate to trash a beer but for me this one honestly crashed and burned, not at all a good mix of flavors.

1.84/5  rDev -45.7%

Appearance: flat orangey gold, orange crush colour. No head to speak of. Cloudy.

Smell: Orange creamsicle. Bleh.

Taste: see above. One-dimensional, sickly sweet chemical orangeyness like you'd get out of a bottle of supermarket soda. This is barely beer.

Mouthfeel: actually refreshing and tart with good carbonation, the only decent thing to be had here. Wheaty dryness at the end of the sip

Drinkability: refreshing and zinging with carbonation, easy to drink despite its problems.

Got this one in a trade with nickd717. Thanks, Nick. I'm sorry to say that I don't quite understand your fervor for this beer.

Appearance: Orange, fizzy and cloudy. The head dissipates in a matter of seconds. It's like pouring soda.

Smell: Tang.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fermented Tang. This literally tastes exactly like Tang, minus the sweetness.

Drinkability: If I had kids, this is what I'd put in their lunchboxes. Personally, I'll stick to beer that doesn't taste like soda.

Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe