Tangerine Wheat - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

pDev: 20%
Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: MLegendre on 07-28-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
allstar255

11-15-2011 02:39:18 | More by allstar255
MrKennedy

2.13/5  rDev -36.4%

12oz bottle via Beermasons. Poured into a Great Divide goblet.

Pours a dull orange, reminiscent of a jaded Irn-Bru with a slightly off-white head of foam that fades too soon.

Tangerine is certainly there in the smell of this. In fact, it is pretty well the only thing there. A kind of earthy, sweet tangerine smell that reminds me of another soft drink sold in Australia, whose name currently evades me (something Spring).

Taste is also soda like, plenty of sweet tangerine there and that is about it. Any wheat beer base is totally dominated by the addition of the tangerine.

Syrupy and soft drink like, it is not overly refreshing. Feels thicker than it should, perhaps that is the syrup on the front of this.

Overall, as soft drink, it would be ok, as a beer it is less than ok. Very disappointing and difficult to finish.

10-30-2011 07:54:21 | More by MrKennedy
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

2.55/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured out of 12 oz bottle into Shiner drinking mug

A) Hazy orange, not much head, not much retention and no lacing. There were a few bits of sediment noted.

S) Like opening a container of mandarin oranges for my son. There was faint wheat aroma.

T) A few scoops of Tang mixed with beer. It is not terrible, but it is not good. The finish is like medicine. If I'm being specific, and I will be, it was like Delsym orange flavored cough suppressant.

M) Lighter side of medium, not too much carbonation. Pretty crisp and kind of dry. Not the aftertaste for this beer drinker.

O) I like fruit beers for the most part. Perhaps I would have enjoyed this more on a hot summer day, but I sincerely doubt it.

10-26-2011 01:37:35 | More by RoamingGnome
brentk56

2.65/5  rDev -20.9%

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy honey color with just a wisp of a head that fades away rather quickly without leaving any traces

Smell: Tangerine, no doubt, but there is a hint of unnatural powdered candy, too

Taste: The tangerine flavor builds and builds but the beer ultimately tastes like one of those chewable aspirin tablets I remember from long ago - yuck!

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with crisp carbonation

Overall: Couldn't hack the memories of children's aspirin that this beer brought back for me; drain pour

10-15-2011 18:18:51 | More by brentk56
kylehay2004

3.63/5  rDev +8.4%

A: some lacing, murky golden color and half finger head.

S: Mostly tangerine with malt background.

T: Lot of tangerine throughout making this very refreshing from start to finish. No hops really. Mostly wheat background.

M: light body and high carbonation.

Overall: Bascially alcoholic flat fanta. It was good but not what I want from my beer.

10-07-2011 01:27:46 | More by kylehay2004
WoodBrew

4.15/5  rDev +23.9%

The Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast is very good. If your hanging with some hotties and want them to try a good fruit style beer....this is it. The appearance I thought was lacking...the color was a cloudy burnt yellow color. The was zero head present and no lacing. The smell was AMAZING....like an orange Life Savor....very good! The taste had a big orange/tangerine taste with hints of spices. This could be compared to a Blue Moon with Orange Peel. The mouthfeel was very smooth and easy to drink....great summer beer.

09-23-2011 23:33:39 | More by WoodBrew
ADZA

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours a hazy golden yellow hue which leaves a fast vanishing two finger head and a very little rim of lacing,the smell is basically one of the most strongest fruit inspired wheat beers ive ever sampled and has aromas of very strong Tangerine a touch like sunkist and with a twist of candied wheat,the mouthfeel is light bodied and very similar to sunkist with its high carbonation and the only tastes i can phathom from this brew are obviously Tangerine,candied wheat and fruit punch and overall the Tangerine is way too overpowering and doesnt let any other flavours shine and i would not buy again it almost reminds me of sunkist mixed with vodka cheers.

09-18-2011 14:25:13 | More by ADZA
spicelab

2.58/5  rDev -23%

355mL bottle courtesy of Beermasons subscription.

Lightly hazy orange-straw. Aggressive pour yields a finger of white head that dissipates to nothing. Looks listless.

Nose really does smell like freshly cut tangerine. Barely detectable grainy wheat notes. That's all folks.

Taste has maybe a tad more depth. The tangerine is complemented by a clean earthiness from the wheat. Still, I'd much rather a tangerine flavour that was hop-driven..

Easily the best part of the beer. Refreshing tingly carbonation with the wheat providing nice texture and some length.

Is what it is and does what it does. Probably be very enjoyable in peak summer.

09-16-2011 10:55:18 | More by spicelab
bluejacket74

2.83/5  rDev -15.5%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a cloudy gold color with about a half inch white head that went away quickly. Not much lacing at all. The beer smells mostly like tangerines, along with a little bit of wheat. It tastes kinda like a watered down sugar substitute tangerine/citrusy soda would taste. Not awful, but not exactly good, either. Mouthfeel/body is light, it has good carbonation and it's not hard to drink. Overall I can't say I'm impressed with this beer at all. I like the aroma, but that's about the only thing I like a lot about this brew. With that being said, I'd still try this again in the future just as long as I was only buying a single bottle and not a 6 pack. I've had worse but I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy more than a single bottle of this at a time.

08-27-2011 00:44:16 | More by bluejacket74
smcolw

2.68/5  rDev -20%

Large bubbled, quickly dying head. Leaves no lace. Very cloudy as it should be. Orange, dirty amber color.

Strong, sweet tangerine aroma--almost smells like orange juice or children's aspirin. I detect no wheat. Reminds me of Grand Marnier.

Think lawn mower beer with a shot of orange liqueur added or perhaps orangina with a shot of vodka. Either way it is a bizarre flavor that I've never experienced before. Normally, this would get extra points, but I'd say this is a clear miss. There's no wheat, the beer is too sweet and the aftertaste dies quickly. The body is okay, though.

It's drinkable, but just barely.

08-26-2011 23:56:19 | More by smcolw
DaftCaskBC

British Columbia (Canada)

On tap at St Augustines in Vancouver.

A: 1/8" white head over straw coloured liquid with excellent clarity.

S: Very strong smell of tangerine and a faint smell of wheat.

T: Very sweet, almost reminds me of Fanta tangerine soda.

M: Medium level of fine carbonation and medium viscosity.

O: A very drinkable wheat ale with fruit, but it may be too sweet for some.

08-17-2011 16:46:22 | More by DaftCaskBC
olimpia84

3.25/5  rDev -3%

I got this on tap at a beer house bar. Very nice appearance: it has an extremely thick, milky and super cloudy look that I've never seen. The predominant aroma when you smell this beer is of, well you probably guessed, tangerine. Hints of wheat can also be found.

The taste is also as 'advertised', with a very predominant tangerine taste which, in my opinion, was a bit too strong and hid the usual qualities of a beer that I look for although I must clarify that in the end this a vegetable/fruit beer and this is to be expected. The fact that tangerine is not among my favorite fruits also applies the aforementioned taste points.

Overall, a good beer and highly recommended for those looking to try something different and specially to all the tangerine lovers.

08-14-2011 17:54:36 | More by olimpia84
dgilks

2.83/5  rDev -15.5%

Cloudy straw colour with a creamy white head. Limited lacing.

Very, very juicy tangerine with plenty of sweetness.

Very orangey, in fact it is just like Sunkist. There’s not really any malt here nor is there anything particularly appetising unless I wanted soda.

Medium body with moderately-hgih carbonation.

This is just like a glass of Sunkist only with a touch less sugar. For me it is over the top on the fruit flavour and it lacks any sense of finesse.

08-07-2011 03:44:08 | More by dgilks
jthomp000

3.45/5  rDev +3%

A - Pours a light orange, thin head
S- Very citrusy, orange/tangerine smell
T- it honestly tastes like chewing on an orange peel after a soccer game. (That's what we used to do)
M -Lightly carbed.
O- Good beer but it felt like it was lacking.. Not sure what it's missing, bit something feels off. It wasn't bad, but not one of my favorites. I'll definitely try another brew from them again though...

07-23-2011 16:31:20 | More by jthomp000
angelogarcia3

4.2/5  rDev +25.4%

We first must say we are usually drinking stouts or porters. In addition, from experience most beers claiming tangerine flavor/taste were disappointing. That is not the case with this beer. Right from the start this beer has a strong tangerine aroma on the nose. A nice clean white ivory head implies the carbonation that is in this beer. This beer also has a slight thickness that is unexpected. The flavor of tangerine also comes out in the taste with only an extremely slight bitterness but an effervescence that clears out the bitterness leaving the orangey taste. A really great summer beer.

07-20-2011 02:37:17 | More by angelogarcia3
tdm168

3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a clean orangish-yellow with carbonation bubbles coming to the top. Nose is wheat and fruit, the tangerine comes through nicely. Taste is malt and wheat with the tangerine present but not overpowering or oversweet. Mouthfeel is light bodied and very carbonated. Rather refreshing overall. I enjoyed it at the pool while on vacation in CA.

07-19-2011 12:16:26 | More by tdm168
StoutToGetYa

2.65/5  rDev -20.9%

I got this beer in a pint bottle. Head disappears almost immediately. You can definitely smell the tangerine and it does smell good, although the smell of the tangerine is greater than that of the beer.
The taste is not bad but its not really good either. I was very unimpressed.

Overall I was not impressed with this beer.

06-30-2011 02:13:14 | More by StoutToGetYa
SwarthmoreBev1

When I poured this brew into a glass, I noticed how orange it looked in the glass. I could definitely smell the tangerine. It smell was a little strong for my liking. The head on my beer was quickly gone. The taste for me was that of a nice smooth beer. This is the sort of beer that you could have after a hard day at work or mowing the lawn and you want something refreshing that would not fill you up. If I had to pick a food to go with it, I would have this brew with finger foods, or a vegetable plate. I think this is the type of brew that you would have as an appetizer. Before you drank a heavier beer with a meal.

06-27-2011 16:14:47 | More by SwarthmoreBev1
DarthKostrizer

2.6/5  rDev -22.4%

Look: Orangish yellow in color with 1/4 head and no retention or lace

Smell: Soft subtle smell of tangerine taffy. Pretty nice actually

Taste: Kinda taste like expired or flat orange juice not impressed at all

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very little carbonation and a flat dry feel to it

Overall: Not a good beer on any level but the smell so if you wanna spend money to sit around and smell a beer then this one is for your

06-26-2011 03:49:51 | More by DarthKostrizer
drtth

Served in a standard shaker pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a hazy golden orange color with a ¼” white head that persists fairly well but doesn’t leave much if any lacing. What foam the beer started out with is mostly gone by about 1/3 of the way through the beer and sipping leaves not even scattered lacing.

Smell: The aromas (correction, the aroma) is mostly a light crisp tangerine smell with no wheat or malt detectable.

Taste: The flavor is mostly sweet tangerine flavor and again I’m not really picking up much of anything else.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is light bodied and prickly with the active carbonation. The finish begins in the tangerine and citric flavored sweetness and fades off leaving a nice citric bitterness at the end.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: This is a pleasant, refreshing beverage that seems more like a fruit soda than a beer. It offers the prospect of a refreshing cooler on a hot, humid summer’s day, and that is probably when I I might be willing to have another. My overall impression of this beer is that it is a bit better than some of the fruit/wheat beers I’ve tried and the wheat/tangerine makes a good combination. But it is a bit too much like a soda to suit my tastes.

06-22-2011 13:31:37 | More by drtth
MammothBrew

3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a pint on 6/19/11.

A: Pours a nice hazy orange color with a white head measuring one finger. Head dissipates quickly with no lacing.

S: Very distinctive tangerine scent. Almost like a Creamsicle.

T: Again, the tangerines are very distinctive and overpowering. Very light malt flavor towards the end.

M: Light body with high carbonation. It feels like tangerines are fizzing in my mouth.

O: Not something I could enjoy on a daily basis. However, one would be quenching on a hot summer day, after mowing the lawn, etc.

06-20-2011 00:15:47 | More by MammothBrew
Knapp85

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured out as a hazy orange color with a nice looking white head on it. The beer doesn't have much lacing. The smell is heavy with tangerine with light aromas of wheat. The taste is very strong with tangerine, it almost tastes like perfume or something. It's a little too strong I think. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing perfect for those days when it's hot out. Overall it's not bad but the flavor is a bit on the potent side.

06-15-2011 21:52:17 | More by Knapp85
JRed

3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy orange in body with light bubbly white. Fruity aroma of tangerine, dandelion, cream soda. Tastes of light tangerine, wheat, slight yeast character, floral notes, an underlying dry hop character is quite refreshing as well. Tangerine lingers on the palate in the aftertaste. Light body with some fizzy carbonation. Much better than expected. Refreshing and balanced for a fruit focused beer. It doesn't go over the top in it's tangerine direction.

06-11-2011 03:07:19 | More by JRed
gkunkle

Oregon

3.08/5  rDev -8.1%

Saw this at By The Bottle in Vancouver and said "summer is upon us, time for wheat beers" cracked it open after work today and so far, I am pleased. It pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with some visible carbonation. Head is about 1/2 inch tall in my imperial pint glass and it fades quickly, eventually it recedes to a ring around my glass and a slight bit of film over the top of my beer. When I smell it the first thing I get I tangerines, sort of an orange candy sort of smell. As I taste it I first catch the wheat, but the tangerine taste takes over quickly. In general I would describe the taste as being similar to an orange creamsicle. The tangerine taste lingers for a bit, but I wouldn't call it much of an "aftertaste". Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, but I think that gives it a refreshing feel. Overall, this beer is okay on a summer day, and if creamsicles are your thing, then this is right up your alley.

05-18-2011 23:45:41 | More by gkunkle
goretrotter

2.4/5  rDev -28.4%

This was on special at one of the few places in my hometown that has a really decent selection of good brews. Served in a 20 oz. weizenbier glass.

A: Less cloudy than most wheat beers. The color was the most impressive aspect of this beer for me. It had a moderately thick head with nice lacing all the way down the empty glass.

S: Strong tangerine and light floral notes.

T: Very little wheat or hop flavor. Half way through the glass it started to remind me of cough syrup. Bitter citrus zest flavor overpowered all other flavors that might have been lurking in there.

M: Medium carbonation, mildy creamy. Not bad at all.

O: I had high hopes, and I really tried to enjoy this beer but the medicinal quality of it really ruined it for me.

05-16-2011 18:09:31 | More by goretrotter