Tangerine Wheat - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Tangerine WheatTangerine Wheat

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: MLegendre on 07-28-2006)
2.75/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a hazy golden yellow hue which leaves a fast vanishing two finger head and a very little rim of lacing,the smell is basically one of the most strongest fruit inspired wheat beers ive ever sampled and has aromas of very strong Tangerine a touch like sunkist and with a twist of candied wheat,the mouthfeel is light bodied and very similar to sunkist with its high carbonation and the only tastes i can phathom from this brew are obviously Tangerine,candied wheat and fruit punch and overall the Tangerine is way too overpowering and doesnt let any other flavours shine and i would not buy again it almost reminds me of sunkist mixed with vodka cheers.

ADZA, Sep 18, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -23.7%

355mL bottle courtesy of Beermasons subscription.

Lightly hazy orange-straw. Aggressive pour yields a finger of white head that dissipates to nothing. Looks listless.

Nose really does smell like freshly cut tangerine. Barely detectable grainy wheat notes. That's all folks.

Taste has maybe a tad more depth. The tangerine is complemented by a clean earthiness from the wheat. Still, I'd much rather a tangerine flavour that was hop-driven..

Easily the best part of the beer. Refreshing tingly carbonation with the wheat providing nice texture and some length.

Is what it is and does what it does. Probably be very enjoyable in peak summer.

spicelab, Sep 16, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a cloudy gold color with about a half inch white head that went away quickly. Not much lacing at all. The beer smells mostly like tangerines, along with a little bit of wheat. It tastes kinda like a watered down sugar substitute tangerine/citrusy soda would taste. Not awful, but not exactly good, either. Mouthfeel/body is light, it has good carbonation and it's not hard to drink. Overall I can't say I'm impressed with this beer at all. I like the aroma, but that's about the only thing I like a lot about this brew. With that being said, I'd still try this again in the future just as long as I was only buying a single bottle and not a 6 pack. I've had worse but I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy more than a single bottle of this at a time.

bluejacket74, Aug 27, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -20.7%

Large bubbled, quickly dying head. Leaves no lace. Very cloudy as it should be. Orange, dirty amber color.

Strong, sweet tangerine aroma--almost smells like orange juice or children's aspirin. I detect no wheat. Reminds me of Grand Marnier.

Think lawn mower beer with a shot of orange liqueur added or perhaps orangina with a shot of vodka. Either way it is a bizarre flavor that I've never experienced before. Normally, this would get extra points, but I'd say this is a clear miss. There's no wheat, the beer is too sweet and the aftertaste dies quickly. The body is okay, though.

It's drinkable, but just barely.

smcolw, Aug 27, 2011

On tap at St Augustines in Vancouver.

A: 1/8" white head over straw coloured liquid with excellent clarity.

S: Very strong smell of tangerine and a faint smell of wheat.

T: Very sweet, almost reminds me of Fanta tangerine soda.

M: Medium level of fine carbonation and medium viscosity.

O: A very drinkable wheat ale with fruit, but it may be too sweet for some.

DaftCaskBC, Aug 17, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

I got this on tap at a beer house bar. Very nice appearance: it has an extremely thick, milky and super cloudy look that I've never seen. The predominant aroma when you smell this beer is of, well you probably guessed, tangerine. Hints of wheat can also be found.

The taste is also as 'advertised', with a very predominant tangerine taste which, in my opinion, was a bit too strong and hid the usual qualities of a beer that I look for although I must clarify that in the end this a vegetable/fruit beer and this is to be expected. The fact that tangerine is not among my favorite fruits also applies the aforementioned taste points.

Overall, a good beer and highly recommended for those looking to try something different and specially to all the tangerine lovers.

olimpia84, Aug 14, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

Cloudy straw colour with a creamy white head. Limited lacing.

Very, very juicy tangerine with plenty of sweetness.

Very orangey, in fact it is just like Sunkist. There’s not really any malt here nor is there anything particularly appetising unless I wanted soda.

Medium body with moderately-hgih carbonation.

This is just like a glass of Sunkist only with a touch less sugar. For me it is over the top on the fruit flavour and it lacks any sense of finesse.

dgilks, Aug 07, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Pours a light orange, thin head
S- Very citrusy, orange/tangerine smell
T- it honestly tastes like chewing on an orange peel after a soccer game. (That's what we used to do)
M -Lightly carbed.
O- Good beer but it felt like it was lacking.. Not sure what it's missing, bit something feels off. It wasn't bad, but not one of my favorites. I'll definitely try another brew from them again though...

jthomp000, Jul 23, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

We first must say we are usually drinking stouts or porters. In addition, from experience most beers claiming tangerine flavor/taste were disappointing. That is not the case with this beer. Right from the start this beer has a strong tangerine aroma on the nose. A nice clean white ivory head implies the carbonation that is in this beer. This beer also has a slight thickness that is unexpected. The flavor of tangerine also comes out in the taste with only an extremely slight bitterness but an effervescence that clears out the bitterness leaving the orangey taste. A really great summer beer.

angelogarcia3, Jul 20, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +16.9%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a clean orangish-yellow with carbonation bubbles coming to the top. Nose is wheat and fruit, the tangerine comes through nicely. Taste is malt and wheat with the tangerine present but not overpowering or oversweet. Mouthfeel is light bodied and very carbonated. Rather refreshing overall. I enjoyed it at the pool while on vacation in CA.

tdm168, Jul 19, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -21.6%

I got this beer in a pint bottle. Head disappears almost immediately. You can definitely smell the tangerine and it does smell good, although the smell of the tangerine is greater than that of the beer.
The taste is not bad but its not really good either. I was very unimpressed.

Overall I was not impressed with this beer.

StoutToGetYa, Jun 30, 2011

When I poured this brew into a glass, I noticed how orange it looked in the glass. I could definitely smell the tangerine. It smell was a little strong for my liking. The head on my beer was quickly gone. The taste for me was that of a nice smooth beer. This is the sort of beer that you could have after a hard day at work or mowing the lawn and you want something refreshing that would not fill you up. If I had to pick a food to go with it, I would have this brew with finger foods, or a vegetable plate. I think this is the type of brew that you would have as an appetizer. Before you drank a heavier beer with a meal.

SwarthmoreBev1, Jun 27, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -23.1%

Look: Orangish yellow in color with 1/4 head and no retention or lace

Smell: Soft subtle smell of tangerine taffy. Pretty nice actually

Taste: Kinda taste like expired or flat orange juice not impressed at all

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very little carbonation and a flat dry feel to it

Overall: Not a good beer on any level but the smell so if you wanna spend money to sit around and smell a beer then this one is for your

DarthKostrizer, Jun 26, 2011

Served in a standard shaker pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a hazy golden orange color with a ¼” white head that persists fairly well but doesn’t leave much if any lacing. What foam the beer started out with is mostly gone by about 1/3 of the way through the beer and sipping leaves not even scattered lacing.

Smell: The aromas (correction, the aroma) is mostly a light crisp tangerine smell with no wheat or malt detectable.

Taste: The flavor is mostly sweet tangerine flavor and again I’m not really picking up much of anything else.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is light bodied and prickly with the active carbonation. The finish begins in the tangerine and citric flavored sweetness and fades off leaving a nice citric bitterness at the end.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: This is a pleasant, refreshing beverage that seems more like a fruit soda than a beer. It offers the prospect of a refreshing cooler on a hot, humid summer’s day, and that is probably when I I might be willing to have another. My overall impression of this beer is that it is a bit better than some of the fruit/wheat beers I’ve tried and the wheat/tangerine makes a good combination. But it is a bit too much like a soda to suit my tastes.

drtth, Jun 22, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a pint on 6/19/11.

A: Pours a nice hazy orange color with a white head measuring one finger. Head dissipates quickly with no lacing.

S: Very distinctive tangerine scent. Almost like a Creamsicle.

T: Again, the tangerines are very distinctive and overpowering. Very light malt flavor towards the end.

M: Light body with high carbonation. It feels like tangerines are fizzing in my mouth.

O: Not something I could enjoy on a daily basis. However, one would be quenching on a hot summer day, after mowing the lawn, etc.

MammothBrew, Jun 20, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured out as a hazy orange color with a nice looking white head on it. The beer doesn't have much lacing. The smell is heavy with tangerine with light aromas of wheat. The taste is very strong with tangerine, it almost tastes like perfume or something. It's a little too strong I think. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing perfect for those days when it's hot out. Overall it's not bad but the flavor is a bit on the potent side.

Knapp85, Jun 15, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy orange in body with light bubbly white. Fruity aroma of tangerine, dandelion, cream soda. Tastes of light tangerine, wheat, slight yeast character, floral notes, an underlying dry hop character is quite refreshing as well. Tangerine lingers on the palate in the aftertaste. Light body with some fizzy carbonation. Much better than expected. Refreshing and balanced for a fruit focused beer. It doesn't go over the top in it's tangerine direction.

JRed, Jun 11, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

Saw this at By The Bottle in Vancouver and said "summer is upon us, time for wheat beers" cracked it open after work today and so far, I am pleased. It pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with some visible carbonation. Head is about 1/2 inch tall in my imperial pint glass and it fades quickly, eventually it recedes to a ring around my glass and a slight bit of film over the top of my beer. When I smell it the first thing I get I tangerines, sort of an orange candy sort of smell. As I taste it I first catch the wheat, but the tangerine taste takes over quickly. In general I would describe the taste as being similar to an orange creamsicle. The tangerine taste lingers for a bit, but I wouldn't call it much of an "aftertaste". Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, but I think that gives it a refreshing feel. Overall, this beer is okay on a summer day, and if creamsicles are your thing, then this is right up your alley.

gkunkle, May 19, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -29%

This was on special at one of the few places in my hometown that has a really decent selection of good brews. Served in a 20 oz. weizenbier glass.

A: Less cloudy than most wheat beers. The color was the most impressive aspect of this beer for me. It had a moderately thick head with nice lacing all the way down the empty glass.

S: Strong tangerine and light floral notes.

T: Very little wheat or hop flavor. Half way through the glass it started to remind me of cough syrup. Bitter citrus zest flavor overpowered all other flavors that might have been lurking in there.

M: Medium carbonation, mildy creamy. Not bad at all.

O: I had high hopes, and I really tried to enjoy this beer but the medicinal quality of it really ruined it for me.

goretrotter, May 16, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Absolutely no head. The appearance is that of a mix of beer and cider. It didn't have the typical wheat beer cloudiness.

S: The smell is actually quite nice. You don't get a tangerine beer without knowing that it will be citrus-heavy. The smell isn't overpowering, and is the highlight of the beer for me.

T: The taste really fell flat for me. It's almost as if the tangerine taste was from the bitter zest, rather than the sweeter fruit. It had a fair taste, but the lack of head was kind of a turn-off for me. In the end, the bitterness left an aftertaste that hindered the beer.

M: Nothing initially stood out about the mouthfeel. After a bit of pondering, the beer feels a bit over-carbonated. This may be splitting hairs, though.

O: I'm a fan of fruit beers, when it's done right. This one was intriguing to me, but it didn't really scratch my citrus itch. I don't think I will be giving this one a round two.

gab2409, May 10, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Pours with half a finger of white foam on top of a slightly hazy, copper colored body. The head settles quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Very strong aromas of tangerine, it smells like I just peeled the skin off of a fresh piece of fruit.

T - Sweet malt up front with a bit of spicy wheat and LOTS of tangerine. More citrus juice flavor in the middle and some earthy pith. Things finish up with just a bit of tartness and some wheat as well as more of the pervasive tangerine character.

M - Medium, somewhat creamy body, moderately high carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - This is a very strange beer with some over the top tangerine character. I mean, I expected citrus but this is ridiculous. It really smells like a piece of fruit, which works well in the aroma but not so much flavor wise. It has a weird, orange soda aftertaste that just doesn't do much for me. Not a drain pour, but really not good.

nickfl, May 05, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -33.4%

Being a fan of Downtown brown from lost coast, I decided to try this beer as part of a mixed six pack from Total wines. This review is from a small tasting, with my wife, and two friends.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a FW snifter tasting glass.

A: Semi translucent. Not cloudy, but slightly clear orange in color, with a small ring of head, no real lacing.

S: Strong tangerines, and cough syrup. No zest, wheat, or hops at all.

T: Extemely light wheat taste, very syrupy sweet tangarine, and that's about it. Surprisingly, there is not much else going on in this beer. Pretty sure they use some type of syrup, or juice concentrate, and not fresh tanageries. Given that it's 5.0% ABV, it's just crazy sticky sweet.

M: Thin feel, and very sticky/syrupy, too sweet. Light to medium carbonation.

O: Too sweet for me, and lacks balance, granted it's a fruit beer, but for such low ABV, and like the fruit, it should be refreshing, lighter, even crisper. I'd pass on this again. Glad I split this bottle.

Retsinis, Apr 21, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

A - I was impressed that this beer actually had a amber quality rather than a clear yellow. A solid half inch of head was looking good so far.

S - From the bottle hardcore Tangerine but in the glass some wheat and malt made their way in between the fruit smell.

T - Wow I was hoping for more of a wheat balance... It came off as orange flavored water with no bitter hops or malt balance.

M - The body was extremely thin. Disappointment.

Overall wow I expected more from a California brewery but this beer is crap! I can forgive extra sweet beers but when the beer has no quality other than tangerine flavored water I can't help but bash it. Average at best...

DrDemento456, Mar 31, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -7.4%

On tap at Pi on Broadway, notes from phone 3-3-11

A- Hazy orange body with a very small white head even after agitation

S- Sweet citrus fruits

T- Sweet tangerines, very sweet. Some wheat under it but not a whole lot

M- Medium body and moderate carbonation, good for the style

D- Very much a fruit beer trying at a wheat not the other way around. This one is very sweet so it's difficult to have more than one.

aepb1, Mar 23, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -6.8%

Date: 12/14/10-3

A: Hazy golden-orange body with a few mm of white head. Dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

S: Huge front of tangerines. Very pleasing and then follows with some hops.

T: Tons of sweet tangerine with some earth hops. Some bitterness.

M: Light bodied with loads of carbonation. This is were it took a turn for the worse. It was way to carbonated, giving off a soda pop feel. Off putting bitter aftertaste to boot.

D: Wouldn't be all that bad if the texture was fixed. Besides that though, it's quite one dimensional.

Long813, Mar 22, 2011