Tangerine Wheat - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: MLegendre on 07-28-2006

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pub glass.

A: A dark straw colored beer w/ slightly off-white head. Very hazy with lots of sizable yeast clumps floating around, which could turn some people off.

S: Wow. They're not kidding around with the tangerine. The tangerine citrus smell is very prominent and is quite similar to Tang, albeit not as strong. Also similar to orange Chapstick. Smells a little artificial (although the bottle says "natural flavor"). Some wheat tanginess. Yeast.

T: Fruit Loops marinated in orange soda. Seriously, it tastes exactly like orange colored Fruit Loops to me, and not just with the fruit flavor itself but also the grain. The fruit hits upfront and the grain notes rise to the surface on the midpalate to the finish, just like the cereal. I think the bottle said "a hint of tangerine" or something like that, but, nope, this is tangerine in your face. Also reminds me of Orange Crush or Sunkist soda. Bitter tanginess in the aftertaste. Some yeast. It's actually quite bitter from midpalate to the aftertaste.

M: Not bad, actually. Medium body, no doubt helped by the yeast in suspension.

D: Would be ok on a hot day. Could drink a couple, but I would probably reach for a good witbier instead.

Overall I think this beer is going to polarize. Some people would like it, and it could be approachable for the uninitiated beer drinker who also likes fruit flavors. The base beer is probably pretty good, but the tangerine flavor is too prominent and just not natural-tasting enough for me. Not bad, but also not my thing. But, I wouldn't refuse it if offered on a hot day.

3.42/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a hazed lightly yellow/orange sun color with a solid dispersant white head.
Smell is very tangeriney--- now doubt citrus zest and wheaty spices were used here.
Taste is zesty- variety of citrus tastes here-lemons, oranges, tangerines, mango, passion fruit- all solid with a half malted ending.
Finish is near poor-very wet with a close to weak soury after-taste.
Drinks ok here- definitely not the girly fruit beer you give your girlfriend.

2.68/5  rDev -20.9%

A bit hazy and dark yellow in color. Beautiful white head disappears quickly and is not very sticky. Aroma is all tangerine. Actually, my first thought was orange soda. The second one was organge gum. Regardless, I do not find aroma particularly inviting for a beer. Plus, it's just too strong. Taste is disappointing. Not very crisp, a bit sweet. Orange and lemon are both citrus, but what a different in wheat beer. Actually, I can probably go for an orange slice in my beer, but this is just too much. Light to medium body. Drinkable (just not enjoyable). Not much in terms of aftertaste (just lingering orange sweetness).

2.35/5  rDev -30.7%

New Beer Friday!

Appearance - Pours a...drum roll...hazy tangerine color only achieving about a finger of quickly dissipating head despite a vigorous pour. Little to no lacing is left on the glas.

Smell - No overpowering smells are noticeable - obviously there is a distinct tangerine aroma along with some spices and bready/malty characteristics.

Taste - Okay, no joke, I want to almost copy paste what jrallen34 posted here. No joke, the first thing I thought was I was drinking a slightly tangerine flavored sparkling water. Extremely carbonated and as jrallen said, "fizzy". It has that CO2 bite you get from sparkling waters but no sweetness (also distinct in that). I honestly think I am going to drain pour this. I have never done that before but my god this is a sickly tasting ?beer? [edit] The more I taste this the more "chemically" tasting it becomes and I swear it reminds me of the orange glow you use to clean car grease and oil off your hands. I feel like I'm literally drinking a beer made from that stuff, and it tastes probably how it would if it actually was made from it. Yuck.

Mouthfeel - Gross - overly carbonated and fizzy.

Drinkability - None. I gave this another try but honestly, with the insane amounts of carbonation, lack of flavor, mouthfeel, etc. I just can't justify my wasting both calories and my taste buds on this when I have a fresh Pliny sitting in the refrigerator. I think I may try another new beer first because I can't even get past half a glass of this. Truly a sad excuse for a beer and I will avoid at all costs from now on.

1.66/5  rDev -51%

A - Orangish/Amber color, small white head, minimal lacing.

S - Strong tangerine smell. Very sweet, definately living up to the name. Citrusy wheat beer smell comes through, but overpowering tangerine type aroma.

T - Truly terrible. I can't tell this is a beer, tastes like some bad flavored fruit soda. Horrible artificial tangerine taste, reminds me of tang.

M - Little heavier than light, but is this soda? Has about the same carbonation level. Yuck.

D - This is probably a great beer for people who are not really into beer and like soda or fruit drinks. It tastes absolutely disgusting and has horrible mouthfeel, would never do it again.

4.16/5  rDev +22.7%

Served in a standard weizen glass with a home grilled thin cut ribeye steak. Mmmm-mmm!

A - Tone somewhere between orange and amber with an extremely thin white head which dissapated very quickly. A bit cloudy, but not as much sediment as most wheats I've had.

S - Strong tangerine aroma, just as the name implies!

T - Sweet and tangy tangerine and lemon peel with a very mildly malty finish. For such a low alcohol beer, I was suprised to detect a distinct alcohol taste at the end. No real hops present.

M - Medium carbonation...about right for the style I'd say.

D - Very easy to drink. This is a tasty wheat that would do well on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn. Certainly more interesting than a simple lager.

The brew paired very well with the steak! I used a mild seasoning, but the natural flavors of the steak played well with the citrus...almost like a marinade. This was a very fun beer as far as wheats go.

3.32/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Hey, this stuff is ok. Pours good and hazy, looks like we're entering flavor country. Taste and aroma hit you up with the obvious citrus tangerine, not overwhelming, but more than enough to make no mistake its a tangerine flavored beer.

Mouthfeel, remarkably consistent for a fruit beer, they usuall falter down the stretch. Drinkable, although not worth $7 a 6er, unless its for your old lady and she's hot.

2.01/5  rDev -40.7%

I drank this from the bottle into a pint glass.

The beer pours a dark gold with a litle hint of gold with very light head and lacing.

The aroma is very strong, all tangerine, very sweet and citrusy.

The taste is horrible, one of the worse things I've ever head. Its super carbonated and fizzy, worse than drinking a super carbonated sparlking water. To make it worse the taste is horrible, its all fizz, not sweetness at all, just biting fizz.

The feel is horrible, and this is a total drank pourer.

Nothing worth drinking, not a fruit or lambic style beer.

3.89/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Pours a somewhat cloudy orange color with no head to speak of whatsoever.
S: Aromas of oranges, tangerines, grapefruit and coriander, some spicy notes make their way into the combination of fruity scents.
T: Strong tangerine up front, slight hop bitterness with no malt presence noticeable. This is turning into what might be the ultimate summer fruit/veggie beer!
M: Very light mouthfeel with higher than normal carbonation going on here.
D: From what I have read on this beer style, this one seems to match it perfectly. Very little balance going on here, but the flavor of tangerines is very pronounced and enjoyable. Flavor and mouthfeel together make this one that almost anybody could enjoy, whether or not they appreciate a good beer.

3.67/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. Not much of a head, especially for a wheat beer. What there is dissipates quickly leaving only a small layer of foam. Appearance is a moderately cloudy golden/copper. Aroma is dominated by a very pleasant tangerine presence, though malty wheat notes are detectable in the background. Those malt and wheat notes are nowhere to be found in terms of taste. Nicely acidic tangerine is present in abundance, but the "beer" taste itself seems a bit watered down. More maltiness would have provided balance and much improvement. Mouthfeel is very refreshing, with plenty of carbonation. Overall a decent and refreshing fruit beer, but it is lacking in traditional wheat beer characteristics.

3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a slight orangish hue. It has a beautiful white head with excellent retention. The aroma is decent. It has a light pale and wheat malt scent along with a modest tangerine aroma. The taste is average. It has a crisp wheat beer flavor with what tastes like watered down orange juice. I'm not a huge fan of the fruit flavor here. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a medium bodied beer with a bit too much carbonation. This is an average fruit/wheat beer. I don't think I'll be having another one of these any time soon.

2.38/5  rDev -29.8%

Appearance> mellow warmth. hazy. medium liveliness. Tiny head with very tiny bubbles. This frothy head dissipates quickly but leaves a shimmering gossamer of lacing. Looks good but I expected more of a head.

Smell> Tangerine. Delicious but overpowering any other scent.

Taste>Not sure if it is the hideous mothfeel or the taste that is causing the brunt of the problem, but something makes this beer far more reminiscent of flavored mineral water than anything resembling beer. If you have ever had any of the natural flavored Calistoga spring waters, you will know exactly what I'm talking about. There are hints of wheat, but you have to look for them. HARD, and they disappear faster than Keyser Soze. I think Lost Coast has a lot of room to improve here. The hang is almost unbearable because it lacks any and all beer taste. Honestly.

Mouf> Overly carbonated. Dreadful. Like being sprayed in the mouth with a seltzer bottle.

Drinkability> Nope. Couldn't even get half way on the pint before giving it up to a friend, and she wouldn't drink it because she didn't want to waste her alcohol intake on something that tasted like "bad Clearly Canadian."

3.17/5  rDev -6.5%

its as if someone took a wheat ale and squeezed in some tangerine. it has a real sugary taste, with real powerful tangerine flavor. like other reviews, if you dont like tangerine, you dont like this beer. to me its almost overwhelming, and infact, borderline in the same category mikes hard lemonade. but since i love lost coast i wont be to mean. it is in fact refreshing on account of its higher carbonation. and the wheat beer thats hiding under the tangerine actually has good flavor. This is another good beer to have when you spending some time in the sun, coming out of the ice chest a few degress cooler than the fridge. like i said, if there was a refreshment rating it would be really high, and as far as fruit or vegetable beers go its top notch.

I have had this beer in bottle and on tap. When I tried this beer it was a nice change of pace from my normal great white and guiness beers I usually drink. It had good appearance and smell. Smells like tangerines! Taste was good with strong tangerine tastes. After a few of was feeling great. Nothing was too special about it. A good over all beer.

3.42/5  rDev +0.9%

A lifeless appearance even after pouring with aggression. Slightly cloudy, somewhere between Khaki and Orange in color. The occasional bubble rolls to the surface. No head to speak of.

The smell is brilliant with lots of fresh tangerine/orange, and lime. The taste is on the sweet side. Reminded me of citrus flavored bubble gum. The only difference is it gives way to just a hint of wheat brew towards the finish.

The taste and smell are much better than it looks. Easily sessionable for those interested in fruity beers. I enjoyed one of these but I won't be seeking it out.

3.11/5  rDev -8.3%

Traded a Cable Car and a Toronado 20th to largadeer for a bottle of this and an Indian Wells sampler pack. Figured I should finally put up my earlier review for this beer after Chris brought up my name in his recent review.

A - Hazy orangish-golden color with a fizzy white head, which I don't think is a terrible look for such a beer. It's meant to be light, fruity, and refreshing, and this fits the bill.

S - Lots of tangerine and some wheat. Really not too much else to it.

T - Tangerine and wheat, what you would expect. A tiny bit tart. Not great but it does a good job of being what it's supposed to be.

M - Light, crisp palate with medium-high carbonation.

D - Pretty high. You know, I'm not a huge fan of fruity wheat beers, but this is supposed to be a fruity wheat beer, and considering that, it's not that bad.

Got this one in a trade with nickd717. Thanks, Nick. I'm sorry to say that I don't quite understand your fervor for this beer.

Appearance: Orange, fizzy and cloudy. The head dissipates in a matter of seconds. It's like pouring soda.

Smell: Tang.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fermented Tang. This literally tastes exactly like Tang, minus the sweetness.

Drinkability: If I had kids, this is what I'd put in their lunchboxes. Personally, I'll stick to beer that doesn't taste like soda.

2.18/5  rDev -35.7%

Bomber- pours a cloudy dull orange with thin soapy head and little lacing. Nose- big orange juice, five alive beverage smell that overpowers any malt in the nose. Taste- stale fake orange juice. Has a very mineral dryness to it. Little flavour from the malt. A screw driver would be much more satisfying if one was looking for an orange flavoured adult beverage.

2.36/5  rDev -30.4%

I'm not going to spend an hour detailing every aspect of this one.

Tangerines are evident big time on the nose and to lesser extent on the taste...both though come off as artificial to me...the taste is of sweet artificial tangerine flavoring..just doesn't taste good to me or feel right...syrupy almost.... nice idea with the tangerines but this is not done well and is not one I would drink again.

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

Decent fruit-based wheat ale from Lost Coast.

Cloudy orange-amber with a decent, thin white head. Tangerine and soda hints, with slight traces of wheat, malt and hops.

Sweet orange soda flavour with a bit of a bitter (almost like tonic water) background from the hops. Good malt and wheat flavour, but this is overshadowed by the tangerine.

Good, low carbonation but a little sweet. Not quite as sessionable as it should be, even when served cold on a hot night.

2.67/5  rDev -21.2%

Glass looks like tangerine juice, with a nice white head.

You notice the citrus in the nose, but probably couldn't identify tangerine unless you looked at the bottle.

Citrus hints in the mouth, balanced by the wheat. Nothing stands out in the mouth, though the tangerine comes through in the finish.

There is a subtle refreshing carbonation in the mouth that would quench a thirst on a hot day, but I wouldn't want to drink more of this than I had to.

4.52/5  rDev +33.3%

Purchased in Weaverville, CA at Tops Market.

This beer had a pretty foggy/hazzy appearance. Smelled like a pretty nice tangerine. The taste was quite surprising, I had never had a fruity beer before, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. There was medium carbonation from what I noticed. In my opinion, fruity beers have kinda been more of a 'girlie' thing, but after finally having one, I can say this would be a good beer to have on a hot day for any guy. Enjoyable when you just want to kick back.

3.77/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Murky looking orange body. Fiery streaks of ruby accent. Thin dirty white head caps it off and leaves minimal amounts of lace. Aroma is bright, citrusy and full of tangerine. Like it. Taste can be described as all fruit flavor and little to no wheat flavor. I'd like a little more of a wheat presence, but this really isn't too bad as is. It's bright and spritzy and full of tangerine. A citric bitterness lingers. Body is medium and carbonation is fairly jacked up. Could be used as a decent refresher on a hot day.

3.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle. Pours a hazy light orange amber with a thin white head. Aroma is tangerine and other citrus and a touch of malt. Flavor is also tangerine and malt, with only a hint of bitterness. Smooth and light mouthfeel. Not bad, but not my thing really. It is different, but I think I like other wheats better.

Poured a nice light golden color with a nice whote head. Nose was pretty simple and straightforward..tangerine and wheat. Taste was nice, pretty balanced just enough tangerine to give it a great taste but not overpower like many fruit/wheat beer combos. Low ABV makes it very easy to drink and this would be a good hot summer day beer but not a session beer.

Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe