Tangerine Wheat - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: MLegendre on 07-28-2006

3.52/5  rDev +3.8%

Swirl poured from a 650ml bottle into a glass stein. Three finger bubbly cream head which soon diminished to a fluffy ring. Hazy deep apricot colour. Some lacing. Yup. Strong tangerine smell.
Interesting taste. Light - smooth. The tangerine taste dominates but there is more going on here. Nice dry citrusy twist at the end.
Mouthfeel is light, medium carbonation. Refreshing as a wit should be. Drinkability is good. No flaws and a moderate ABV make this sessionable.

4.27/5  rDev +26%

Split a bomber with andrenaline at a bbq & beer tasting
A - I got the first half of the bottle and it was more clear golden orange, but andrenaline got the last half and it had a much more cloudy wheat appearance, short white head didn't retain much
S - no surprise it smells like tangerine, BUT was surprised at how strong! Also some grainy wheat hints.
T - I used to make "breakfast beers" while camping which is just beer topped off with some O.J., and this is a better version. Very clean orange citrus and wheat flavours, just a pleasant taste.
M - a good thin, clean, crisp and refreshing
D - I could pound this all day in the sun

4.29/5  rDev +26.5%

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with a thumb of light bubbly head leaving no real lacing after the settle.

S - Oranges and bubble gum overpower the scent. Wheat grass comes through a bit on the finish, but it's quite mild and almost undetectable.

T - Beer and orange juice. The bottle says a 'bit of tangerine'... That's an understatement! The orange flavour is quite strong, but in a nice refreshing way. Again, the wheat comes through, but it is rather mild. There's also a bit of a sour lemon flavour which hits you on the finish.

M - Perfect amount of carbonation, and goes down smooth. Every sip leaves you thirsty for more.

D- This stuff is simply amazing. A tasty summertime beverage, and this one would be perfect as a 'hair-of-the-dog' type drink after a night of drinking! The orange is quite dominant, but there's enough wheaty/malty flavours that linger to remind you that it's still beer. I wish this stuff came in a 6-pack, because it's the perfect summertime beer.

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a cloudy golden orange with a thin white head. Not much retention, and just a bit of laceing. Aroma is of sweet tart candy. Body is light with a good amount of carbonation. Taste is Tangerine up front with a mix of sweet tart fruits and wheat throughout. Tart finish. Not bad if you like this style.

2.76/5  rDev -18.6%

I love the Lost Coast Great White, so this is my first adventure to another beer from Lost Coast. The packaging from Lost Coast is very attractive and really develops a strong brand appeal to myself. Considering where the beer is coming from, NorCal, I hope the extension of the product line brings more excitement.

A: Little to no head, dull is the best term. There is nothing that draws me to this beer, I see it and think flat orange pop.

S: Great tangerine smell. There is a malt smell that is not strong.

T: The taste is sharp. Subtle tangerine, with the typical fruit bitters at the end.

M: Flat. Thin. Dull.

D: I am not enjoying this beer. I will continue to try other Lost Coast brews but will let my wife drink these ones!

Cheers!

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a weizen glass. Bottle is stamped 4/29/10 ... I'm thinking that's the brew date.

Appearance: hazy golden-yellow hue with one finger of compact white foam. Head seems to have relatively poor retention. Still, not too bad a looking beer.

Smell: big tangerine flavor with a little wheaten ale below it. I can see why this is classified as a fruit beer rather than a wheat beer; the tangerine is way more prevalent than any other characteristic. Still, they market it as a tangerine brew, and that's what it smells like.

Taste: the tangerineyness is almost cloying in its sweetness. This tastes almost like a dixie cup; I mean, I like a little citrus in some beers, but this takes it rather far. While the flavor is more beer-like than the aroma, I think it diverges a bit much here from reality.

Mouthfeel: medium light body with a bit of creamy carbonation. Not bad, but not great.

Drinkability: well, it's a light and refreshing beer, but I feel like the tangerine is just way too much. Again, that's what they advertise, but this is basically tangerine cream soda that happens to have malt and alcohol in it.

3.62/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650ml bottle poured into pint glass june24 2010

A pale gold with plenty of suspended particles being moved around by heavy amounts of carbonation, very little head and no lace take away some points

S ummm?? tangerine maybe and not much else, crazy amount really and doesn't seem real, almost like a lifesaver or some other kind of candy I can't place

T again tangerine is hard to miss but I also pick up on a little honey

M light and well carbonated with some flavor that lingers

D one is good two may be too many, If you like tangerine this ones for you

although I did like this beer I wouldn't recommend it unless you need a citrus blast

3.72/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Poured a straw colored body with some slight haziness to it...a foamy, white head was formed and left some lacing

S - Holy tangerine...the nose is filled with tangerine notes and not much else...a good smell but one could think it's too sweet

T - The flavors here aren't very exotic or abstract but it bascially goes along with what it's described as...it's a tangerine wheat beer...loads and loads of tangerine and maybe other citrus fruits with a slight hint of wheat malt...and I mean slight...the tangerine is not lacking in this beer

M - Light bodied...crisp and refreshing...very dry

D - You'd have to be the judge on this one...I could drink a lot of these pretty quick because the sweetness is not overpowering and it would be perfect on a hot day...but I would not have a few of these just for the heck of it

2.63/5  rDev -22.4%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a hazy gold with a light white head, good retention.

S: Smells like a mix of Tang and Sunny Delight, definitely artificial, but not off-putting.

T: Artificial orange, some lemon and wheat on the back end. Reminds me a lot of soda. Too sweet.

M: Gets cloying on the finish. Light-bodied, spritzy.

D: This is a lot better than some of the other artificial fruit beers out there, but it's just too fake in the end for me.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

22oz. bottle shared with brewslut on 5/9/10. Poured into a shaker pint.

A - Poured a somewhat cloudy pale orange liquid with smoky yeast swirls reminiscent of a lava lamp and a solid finger's width of frothy white foam on top that reduced to a thin retention and some sticky patches of lace.

S - Smells like gummy orange slice candies! Aroma is blatantly and unabashedly citrus, with just a hint of wheat malt in the background suggesting light bready notes. A little one dimensional, perhaps, but it is, after all, named Tangerine Wheat.

T - Again, citrus (tangerine) is at the forefront, although quite a bit more bready wheat notes come out in the flavor compared to the aroma. Finishes with a slightly yeasty quality, although it is overshadowed by citrus and wheat bread.

M - Lighty to medium bodied with carbonation akin to a half-way flat orange soda. Finish is slightly sweet with faint hop bitterness on the palate.

D - You'd better love orange/tangering/citrus fruit... otherwise, don't bother. However, I found this to be a light, quaffable wheat beer with a bold citrus character that's nice for warm-weather imbibing.

3.67/5  rDev +8.3%

Brought back from San Diego by my wife. Pours a light apricot color, with a nice billowy white head. Huge citrus aromas or orange and tangerine. A decent wheat beer, with big tangerine and orange flavors. A pretty decent, refreshing beer, nice for a spring day.

3.81/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer pours a darkish hazy orange colour with a small white head (even after a hard pour) that reduces to basically nothing and doesn't leave much in the way of lacing.

Smell is absolutely chock full of candied tangerine! It smells exactly like orange-flavoured hard candies. Ridiculously orangey.

Taste is a lot more dry than expected (which is great) - It's sweet, but subtly so. Without a doubt, this beer is an orange bomb with big notes of clove and hints of spice and candied orange peel - it's the latter that give this beer it's well-balanced profile (they could have easily made this a sugar bomb - I'm very happy they didn't). I even get some orange, dark chocolate notes on the linger (and I think everyone can appreciate what an amazing combo oranges and dark chocolate make!). This might be the most true-to-form fruit beer I've ever had. It's called "Tangerine" and, boy, does it ever deliver!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly creamy with a good hit of citrus like tingly carbonation and a slightly oily but clean finish.

At 5%, this is a pretty drinkable fruit beer. I could drink a a few of these for sure. IMO, This would make a great beer around Christmas. I hope it's available around that time of year. This beer is really in a category of its own- amazing.

1.84/5  rDev -45.7%

Appearance: flat orangey gold, orange crush colour. No head to speak of. Cloudy.

Smell: Orange creamsicle. Bleh.

Taste: see above. One-dimensional, sickly sweet chemical orangeyness like you'd get out of a bottle of supermarket soda. This is barely beer.

Mouthfeel: actually refreshing and tart with good carbonation, the only decent thing to be had here. Wheaty dryness at the end of the sip

Drinkability: refreshing and zinging with carbonation, easy to drink despite its problems.

2.96/5  rDev -12.7%

On-tap while visiting down in FL.

A - Very orange, yet quite refreshing in appearance. It was a hot day, so it looked great to me! Slight orangish tint to the white head as well.

S - Graininess - wheat of course, and A LOT of citrus from the tangerine. Some yeast in the background as well.

T - In you face Tangerine. Way stronger than I was expecting, they are not a'foolin' around. Somewhat disappointing as a result, way too juicy and orange soda-like.

M - Overly carbonated. From the first sip, this was very fizzy - way too much so, and it really ruined the beer for me.

D - One was enough, and although it was drinkable on a hot day, I wouldn't order it again.

4.07/5  rDev +20.1%

*Now I'm not usually a fan of these Shock Top Esque American Wheat Beers but this one took me by surprise by how balanced the sweet tangerine and hop bitterness was.

A: Orange in hue with a fuzzy head.

S: Citrus, Tangerine, American Hops

T: Malty Tangerine with some hop flavor. Tastes almost like a tangerine cool-aid beer.

MF: slightly High carbonation. Thick mouthfeel due to the wheat.

D: one of the most refreshing ales I've had so far. This is perfect for spring/summer on the beach, bbq, Poolside, anywhere in the sun basically. This beer is alot more intricate in flavor and aroma than beers like shock-top or blue moon IMO.

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

I found this single 12oz brown bottle in the discount bin at the Binny's in Plainfield, IL for $1.49. There was no freshness date on the bottle so I'm hoping the reason it was in the discount bin isn't because it's out of date.

The beer poured a murky apricot color with lots of floaties in the glass. It also failrd to make any sort of head - just a thin line of off-white rim. It's not a very impressive looking beer, but it did leave a decent amount of lacing on the glass each time I took a sip.

The smell is tangerine overdose! Huge tangerine and fruit juice smell along with a bit of hop presence as well.

At first the taste is mostly tangerine juice and wheat malt. but then a bit of hop bitterness kicks in and the beer finishes a bit bitter. It's not bad but it's kind of boring. The super high carbonation keeps you from tasting any other subtle flavors that might be in there.

The mouthfeel is spritzy and highly carbonated. The juice gives it enough body to move it up from light to light to medium in body.

At just 5% abv you don't notice any alcohol, but it's too much like a carbonated soda to enjoy too many of these at a sitting.

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pub glass.

A: A dark straw colored beer w/ slightly off-white head. Very hazy with lots of sizable yeast clumps floating around, which could turn some people off.

S: Wow. They're not kidding around with the tangerine. The tangerine citrus smell is very prominent and is quite similar to Tang, albeit not as strong. Also similar to orange Chapstick. Smells a little artificial (although the bottle says "natural flavor"). Some wheat tanginess. Yeast.

T: Fruit Loops marinated in orange soda. Seriously, it tastes exactly like orange colored Fruit Loops to me, and not just with the fruit flavor itself but also the grain. The fruit hits upfront and the grain notes rise to the surface on the midpalate to the finish, just like the cereal. I think the bottle said "a hint of tangerine" or something like that, but, nope, this is tangerine in your face. Also reminds me of Orange Crush or Sunkist soda. Bitter tanginess in the aftertaste. Some yeast. It's actually quite bitter from midpalate to the aftertaste.

M: Not bad, actually. Medium body, no doubt helped by the yeast in suspension.

D: Would be ok on a hot day. Could drink a couple, but I would probably reach for a good witbier instead.

Overall I think this beer is going to polarize. Some people would like it, and it could be approachable for the uninitiated beer drinker who also likes fruit flavors. The base beer is probably pretty good, but the tangerine flavor is too prominent and just not natural-tasting enough for me. Not bad, but also not my thing. But, I wouldn't refuse it if offered on a hot day.

3.42/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a hazed lightly yellow/orange sun color with a solid dispersant white head.
Smell is very tangeriney--- now doubt citrus zest and wheaty spices were used here.
Taste is zesty- variety of citrus tastes here-lemons, oranges, tangerines, mango, passion fruit- all solid with a half malted ending.
Finish is near poor-very wet with a close to weak soury after-taste.
Drinks ok here- definitely not the girly fruit beer you give your girlfriend.

2.68/5  rDev -20.9%

A bit hazy and dark yellow in color. Beautiful white head disappears quickly and is not very sticky. Aroma is all tangerine. Actually, my first thought was orange soda. The second one was organge gum. Regardless, I do not find aroma particularly inviting for a beer. Plus, it's just too strong. Taste is disappointing. Not very crisp, a bit sweet. Orange and lemon are both citrus, but what a different in wheat beer. Actually, I can probably go for an orange slice in my beer, but this is just too much. Light to medium body. Drinkable (just not enjoyable). Not much in terms of aftertaste (just lingering orange sweetness).

2.35/5  rDev -30.7%

New Beer Friday!

Appearance - Pours a...drum roll...hazy tangerine color only achieving about a finger of quickly dissipating head despite a vigorous pour. Little to no lacing is left on the glas.

Smell - No overpowering smells are noticeable - obviously there is a distinct tangerine aroma along with some spices and bready/malty characteristics.

Taste - Okay, no joke, I want to almost copy paste what jrallen34 posted here. No joke, the first thing I thought was I was drinking a slightly tangerine flavored sparkling water. Extremely carbonated and as jrallen said, "fizzy". It has that CO2 bite you get from sparkling waters but no sweetness (also distinct in that). I honestly think I am going to drain pour this. I have never done that before but my god this is a sickly tasting ?beer? [edit] The more I taste this the more "chemically" tasting it becomes and I swear it reminds me of the orange glow you use to clean car grease and oil off your hands. I feel like I'm literally drinking a beer made from that stuff, and it tastes probably how it would if it actually was made from it. Yuck.

Mouthfeel - Gross - overly carbonated and fizzy.

Drinkability - None. I gave this another try but honestly, with the insane amounts of carbonation, lack of flavor, mouthfeel, etc. I just can't justify my wasting both calories and my taste buds on this when I have a fresh Pliny sitting in the refrigerator. I think I may try another new beer first because I can't even get past half a glass of this. Truly a sad excuse for a beer and I will avoid at all costs from now on.

1.66/5  rDev -51%

A - Orangish/Amber color, small white head, minimal lacing.

S - Strong tangerine smell. Very sweet, definately living up to the name. Citrusy wheat beer smell comes through, but overpowering tangerine type aroma.

T - Truly terrible. I can't tell this is a beer, tastes like some bad flavored fruit soda. Horrible artificial tangerine taste, reminds me of tang.

M - Little heavier than light, but is this soda? Has about the same carbonation level. Yuck.

D - This is probably a great beer for people who are not really into beer and like soda or fruit drinks. It tastes absolutely disgusting and has horrible mouthfeel, would never do it again.

4.16/5  rDev +22.7%

Served in a standard weizen glass with a home grilled thin cut ribeye steak. Mmmm-mmm!

A - Tone somewhere between orange and amber with an extremely thin white head which dissapated very quickly. A bit cloudy, but not as much sediment as most wheats I've had.

S - Strong tangerine aroma, just as the name implies!

T - Sweet and tangy tangerine and lemon peel with a very mildly malty finish. For such a low alcohol beer, I was suprised to detect a distinct alcohol taste at the end. No real hops present.

M - Medium carbonation...about right for the style I'd say.

D - Very easy to drink. This is a tasty wheat that would do well on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn. Certainly more interesting than a simple lager.

The brew paired very well with the steak! I used a mild seasoning, but the natural flavors of the steak played well with the citrus...almost like a marinade. This was a very fun beer as far as wheats go.

3.32/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Hey, this stuff is ok. Pours good and hazy, looks like we're entering flavor country. Taste and aroma hit you up with the obvious citrus tangerine, not overwhelming, but more than enough to make no mistake its a tangerine flavored beer.

Mouthfeel, remarkably consistent for a fruit beer, they usuall falter down the stretch. Drinkable, although not worth $7 a 6er, unless its for your old lady and she's hot.

2.01/5  rDev -40.7%

I drank this from the bottle into a pint glass.

The beer pours a dark gold with a litle hint of gold with very light head and lacing.

The aroma is very strong, all tangerine, very sweet and citrusy.

The taste is horrible, one of the worse things I've ever head. Its super carbonated and fizzy, worse than drinking a super carbonated sparlking water. To make it worse the taste is horrible, its all fizz, not sweetness at all, just biting fizz.

The feel is horrible, and this is a total drank pourer.

Nothing worth drinking, not a fruit or lambic style beer.

3.89/5  rDev +14.7%

A: Pours a somewhat cloudy orange color with no head to speak of whatsoever.
S: Aromas of oranges, tangerines, grapefruit and coriander, some spicy notes make their way into the combination of fruity scents.
T: Strong tangerine up front, slight hop bitterness with no malt presence noticeable. This is turning into what might be the ultimate summer fruit/veggie beer!
M: Very light mouthfeel with higher than normal carbonation going on here.
D: From what I have read on this beer style, this one seems to match it perfectly. Very little balance going on here, but the flavor of tangerines is very pronounced and enjoyable. Flavor and mouthfeel together make this one that almost anybody could enjoy, whether or not they appreciate a good beer.

Tangerine Wheat from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe