8 Ball Stout - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

8 Ball Stout8 Ball Stout

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-23-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
harrymel

1.63/5  rDev -57.6%

Bottle date: unk

A: black, a finger of light mocha foam falls to islands of the same. Spotty lace.
S: Roasted malts, hints of tobacco and vinyl. Some coffee tones, but nothing to call home about.
T: Roasty, some oat tones, some raisin and some leather.
M: Thin for the style with WAY too high carb. Semi dry finish.
O: This is a poor example of an oatmeal stout IMO, much less a stout. Too chemical, too thin, too much carb, little on the nose worth desiring.

12-05-2011 09:30:17 | More by harrymel
livingregret

1.83/5  rDev -52.3%

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle, no other information on the bottle really

Appearance: What starts off as w/ a promising dark brew leaves NO head. Disappointing

Smell: A touch of chocolate and caramel but a overpowering roasted malt smell.

Taste/mouthfeel: A burnt chocolate taste w/ a very slight caramel. The Burnt taste is VERY strong and overpowers most of the chocolate(leaving a burnt roasted taste) and leaves NO caramel. Goes down fairly easy but leaves a very grimy feeling in the throat. I can deal w/ "burnt" roasted taste but the grimyness in the mouth is just awful

Drinkability: I'm done trying this beer....the grimyness and overly burnt taste pushes me away from this

10-21-2007 03:07:59 | More by livingregret
menkros

1.88/5  rDev -51%

Pours dark black, smells of oak and wood. Taste of very high carbonation it needs to age a lot more. Bitter burnt coffee beans. Not good. Aroma- slight roasted notes, chocolate, metallics pitch black, no real head Taste- lactose, cream, slight chocolate, roasted notes Palate- decent body, nice mouthfeel,but not special either.

09-28-2012 03:41:42 | More by menkros
bryskal

Oregon

2.03/5  rDev -47.1%

This is the wimpiest stout I have ever drank. If you are a wimp beer drinker and go for the girly drinks, you'll love it. I had to stop and double check that I wasn't drinking Bud Light. For my stout taste, nothing compares to Guinness. Don't waste your money on this one.

07-24-2007 04:47:13 | More by bryskal
mrasskicktastic

2.17/5  rDev -43.5%

A - Dark brew with a large short lived head. Only a patchy ring of lacing lingers.

S - Not terribly pleasant herbal hops are in the initial nose. Once the head subsides, there is sweet coffee, faint licorice, a touch of chocolate. Earthy/woodsy hops and a touch of very faint fusel alcohol.

T - Hops, grass and flowers, accompanied by some charred malt, then a tiny bit of coffee and earth. This ends with a mild coffee bitterness with a twinge of chemicals. Later in the aftertaste I detect an extremely faint oakiness.

M - Thick and gummy on the throat. A little harsh and not refreshing (mostly due to the gumminess).

D - It isn't awful, but I don't think I will have this again, the mouthfeel is really bad. It is an okay beer, I could see someone else liking it, but it is definitely not for me.

10-07-2007 05:40:29 | More by mrasskicktastic
Bfarr

2.25/5  rDev -41.4%

Dark brown with a thin red at the bottom and an umber head with little retention and lacing. Aromas of chocolate toasted and pale malts. Chocolate and toasted toffee flavors are soon replaced by pale malts which overpower to the dry, bitter finish. A thin, light-bodied feel with a bit of stickiness.

This one was very promising to me at first. Good aromas and flavor up front but the pale malts became overwhelming in both. I liked the aroma so much at first I kept the score a litlle higher but the taste was killed to the point I thought I was drinking a dark colored pale ale.

07-17-2010 15:02:18 | More by Bfarr
Brent

Kentucky

2.4/5  rDev -37.5%

This beer just hit me all wrong. I'm a great fan of oatmeal stouts, but this had a smokey character that was disquieting. Great coal black color. Some dark roasted coffee in the aroma, but a hickory smoke aspect to the malt that also had an odd acidity, like smoked summer sausage. Blah.

12-08-2003 01:54:31 | More by Brent
BGDrock

Ontario (Canada)

2.41/5  rDev -37.2%

Appearance: black, with mocha head that vanishes to nothing in no time

Aroma: cassis, chocolate covered cherry; roasted malt aromas are secondary

Taste & Mouthfeel: watery, like bad office coffee - there's really not much to it at all, doesn't taste terrible, just doesn't taste....bitter and tart aspects of the roast are predominant, not the rich coffee and chocolate you'd hope for; carbonation is ok; some mineral, tin flavours

Overall: this doesn't give you much to say so....weak

PS - after reading other reviews, I wonder if I got a bad batch, as everyone else seems to be having vastly different experience (and I share my bottle with a friend, and we both didn't enjoy it)

11-09-2013 23:13:07 | More by BGDrock
BlindPig

2.48/5  rDev -35.4%

Appearance- ½” coffee (2nd time poured 1½”) colored head which goes away fast. Can’t see any carbonation. Black with brown around edges. Very little lacing.

Smell- Light scent. Coffee and chocolate malts. Didn’t smell any hops.

Taste- Coffee taste. Pretty strong no roasted taste just coffee maybe a little chocolate in there. Coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel. Medium body and light carbonation.

Drinkability- Didn’t like it much at all. Way to much of a coffee flavor for me.

07-23-2006 19:41:07 | More by BlindPig

06-18-2014 00:23:50 | More by Geraurd
blackjack000

Kansas

2.53/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance: Black and heavy-looking. Very little caramel-colored head which quickly withdraws to a ring bordering the glass.

Smell: Coffee and brown sugar smell. Smell is coming off pretty weak. It is there, just not in any substantial quantity. Some molasses and a deeper coffee flavor come into play as the beer warms a bit.

Taste: Not so present, either. Old coffee and water. A bit of carbonation does a little to enhance the flat, deflated taste--but not much. Some caramel sweetness coming through. An aftertaste of coffee that's been in the pot all day.

Mouthfeel: I actualy like the mouthfeel. My first impression was that it was pretty watery for a stout. However, it has just enough bulk to it, and the carbonation dances on my tongue enough to be stimulating. Its personality seems to be changing as I'm writing these last few sentences. Odd, it seems like the stout is becoming more watery in the last two sips. Hmm . . . I change my mind again. Mouthfeel is plummeting--back to watery.

Drinkability: I wouldn't want another one. Drinking this suffices for drinking a stout like one of those yellowed complementary coffee pots suffice for caffeine when you're in some awkward public place. I guess it "works," but not well. I really don't feel like finishing the last 1.5 inch of this in the glass. I'm kind of let down. The name had me so stoked.

I had this in Portland, and didn't think anything good--nor bad--of it at the time. Maybe this bottle is a fluke. If I have another opportunity to try it out, I will. And if my future experience is different, I'll update it. Otherwise, it stands.

04-12-2008 23:06:11 | More by blackjack000
atr2605

2.55/5  rDev -33.6%

A- Pours a deep black with a soft tan head that fades very quickly
S-Roasted coffer, caramel, and a some subtle earthy notes
T-Pretty disappointing. A little of the coffee comes through but the other notes that are in the nose aren't found in the taste. There are no really pronounced flavors
M-Light-medium overall, but quite light bodied for a stout
O-Not a fan. Being a stout I would expect much more in the flavor and more body. The flavor falls behind the aroma.

06-19-2011 02:57:24 | More by atr2605
ibbjamin

2.6/5  rDev -32.3%

This is a standard beer we have around the house. My girlfriend likes Lost Coast quite a bit. I usually am looking for a beer that is more "in your face" than this, but tonight is a good night to look for subtly in an American Stout. Picked up a 6pack of 12oz bottles from BevMo in San Jose, CA fpr $6.59. Poured into a pint glass to review one of them.

No head, no retention, seemingly minimal carbonation and almost no lacing. Dark brown on the verge of being black in color, which is only detectable when held to a light.

Faint nose of sweet malts and mild chocolate.

Taste is more flavorful than the nose would have suggested. Sweet malts, mild hints of chocolate and coffee.

Light to medium in body with a watery mouthfeel and somewhat crisp finish. I do give them credit for this being as light as it is yet still being above 6%.

I can't think of too many situations where I would crave a stout as mild and watery as this one.

11-14-2009 02:47:32 | More by ibbjamin
pezoids

2.6/5  rDev -32.3%

Pours a dark and rich midnight black color. Dark and creamy coffee brown colored head. The aroma is rich and syrupy sweet with fruit, licorice, charcoal and Kaluha liqueur. There’s a sweet and roasted nut-like presence in this beer. The roasted grains taste like they are overdone here – tastes a bit burnt, with a harsh alcohol bite in the finish. This beer is hard to drink. It’s too over the top, without any real mellow smoothness. It’s strong, rich and bold. Some others would probably like it a bit more than me.

02-21-2004 01:14:57 | More by pezoids
0tt0

Georgia

2.7/5  rDev -29.7%

12 ounces into a Duvel glass...

Pitch-black motor oil in color, with a 3/4 inch off-white head that quickly dissipates into a slight collar. Missing some of that big creamy cap that I see with other stouts. A big sniff presents brown sugar, molasses, a touch of butterscotch, and a tad of bittersweet chocolate. Though I am no stout pro by any means, it strikes me as a bit of a departure. First sip: right off, I get some of that brown sugar and toffee-like characteristics, but the middle is a strong fruitiness, some berry and (am I crazy, here) some raisin? Finishes with a quick slap of liquorice and the faintist hint of chocolate. I'm stumped, honestly. It seems to have more in common with a dubbel or quad than a stout. All of the quintessential things I would look for are absent. And then to compound the crime, it resembles a Belgian, but not a very good one either. Body is medium, with not much in the way of carbonation or hoppy tingle. A bad bottle, maybe? I can't tell. But I am very much underwhelmed.

07-26-2007 01:34:37 | More by 0tt0

02-05-2012 20:01:04 | More by jfcaa193
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

A - Pitch black, with an inch of sticky tan foam.

S - Roasty and kinda hoppy - good start. Some smokiness, citrus, molasses, maybe a hint of earthiness. Kinda like roasted grapefruits over a peat fire...

T - Not nearly as bitter as expected, a little tart up front, and somewhat sweet. Some toasted flavours and a bit of nuttiness is present, but I'm not getting *anything* but the tartness up front.

M - A bit chewy, but mostly the feeling of not tasting any flavour is odd and disconcerting.

D - Kinda bland in a wierd way. Not even sure how to describe it... I wouldn't even think a stout could be made to taste this little.

05-30-2008 04:09:03 | More by allergictomacros

03-23-2014 18:21:56 | More by swgwilt
Brewfan

Connecticut

2.85/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured into my 3-Philosophers chalace.
Very dark with hints of auburn daylight around the edges. One finger beige head dissapated rather quickly. Light lace surrounded the far reaches of the beer. Lines of carbonation make their way to the top of the glass.
Smell of slightly charred raisins and light malt. Not much nose to speak of.
Upon smelling, I was hoping the taste would be more prevelant, but I was dissapointed. Smokiness, low grade-over watery gas station coffee taste, a bit of sweetness towards the back of the tongue. Other than that, not much to speak of.
Quite watery and too carbonated for my tastes in a stout. Not impressed

11-09-2005 22:09:05 | More by Brewfan
brewmudgeon

Wisconsin

2.85/5  rDev -25.8%

3 A black with orange and brown tones. brown foam leaves quickly, poor to no lacework.
3.5 S very hoppy for a stout. actually smells a bit like an IPA and reminds me slightly of Indica (tasted blind, so not imagining--guessed this stout was a lost coast offering). interesting, but very odd for the style.
3 T tangy, only a modicum of typical stout flavors. light-med body. dryish from start to finish. tangyness seems out of place
2.5 M on the flatter side
2 D too tangy. if I'm in the mood for a stout i wouldn't reach for this. if I'm in the mood for a good ipa or apa I'll go for a good ipa or apa.

09-07-2008 15:15:40 | More by brewmudgeon