Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

8 Ball Stout - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

8 Ball Stout8 Ball Stout

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  6.30% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-23-2002

1.66/5  rDev -57.1%

Bottle date: unk

A: black, a finger of light mocha foam falls to islands of the same. Spotty lace.
S: Roasted malts, hints of tobacco and vinyl. Some coffee tones, but nothing to call home about.
T: Roasty, some oat tones, some raisin and some leather.
M: Thin for the style with WAY too high carb. Semi dry finish.
O: This is a poor example of an oatmeal stout IMO, much less a stout. Too chemical, too thin, too much carb, little on the nose worth desiring. (461 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -52.2%

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle, no other information on the bottle really

Appearance: What starts off as w/ a promising dark brew leaves NO head. Disappointing

Smell: A touch of chocolate and caramel but a overpowering roasted malt smell.

Taste/mouthfeel: A burnt chocolate taste w/ a very slight caramel. The Burnt taste is VERY strong and overpowers most of the chocolate(leaving a burnt roasted taste) and leaves NO caramel. Goes down fairly easy but leaves a very grimy feeling in the throat. I can deal w/ "burnt" roasted taste but the grimyness in the mouth is just awful

Drinkability: I'm done trying this beer....the grimyness and overly burnt taste pushes me away from this (683 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -50.1%

Pours dark black, smells of oak and wood. Taste of very high carbonation it needs to age a lot more. Bitter burnt coffee beans. Not good. Aroma- slight roasted notes, chocolate, metallics pitch black, no real head Taste- lactose, cream, slight chocolate, roasted notes Palate- decent body, nice mouthfeel,but not special either. (328 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -46.8%

This is the wimpiest stout I have ever drank. If you are a wimp beer drinker and go for the girly drinks, you'll love it. I had to stop and double check that I wasn't drinking Bud Light. For my stout taste, nothing compares to Guinness. Don't waste your money on this one. (272 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -42.6%

A - Dark brew with a large short lived head. Only a patchy ring of lacing lingers.

S - Not terribly pleasant herbal hops are in the initial nose. Once the head subsides, there is sweet coffee, faint licorice, a touch of chocolate. Earthy/woodsy hops and a touch of very faint fusel alcohol.

T - Hops, grass and flowers, accompanied by some charred malt, then a tiny bit of coffee and earth. This ends with a mild coffee bitterness with a twinge of chemicals. Later in the aftertaste I detect an extremely faint oakiness.

M - Thick and gummy on the throat. A little harsh and not refreshing (mostly due to the gumminess).

D - It isn't awful, but I don't think I will have this again, the mouthfeel is really bad. It is an okay beer, I could see someone else liking it, but it is definitely not for me. (805 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -40.1%

Dark brown with a thin red at the bottom and an umber head with little retention and lacing. Aromas of chocolate toasted and pale malts. Chocolate and toasted toffee flavors are soon replaced by pale malts which overpower to the dry, bitter finish. A thin, light-bodied feel with a bit of stickiness.

This one was very promising to me at first. Good aromas and flavor up front but the pale malts became overwhelming in both. I liked the aroma so much at first I kept the score a litlle higher but the taste was killed to the point I thought I was drinking a dark colored pale ale. (581 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -36.4%

Appearance: black, with mocha head that vanishes to nothing in no time

Aroma: cassis, chocolate covered cherry; roasted malt aromas are secondary

Taste & Mouthfeel: watery, like bad office coffee - there's really not much to it at all, doesn't taste terrible, just doesn't taste....bitter and tart aspects of the roast are predominant, not the rich coffee and chocolate you'd hope for; carbonation is ok; some mineral, tin flavours

Overall: this doesn't give you much to say so....weak

PS - after reading other reviews, I wonder if I got a bad batch, as everyone else seems to be having vastly different experience (and I share my bottle with a friend, and we both didn't enjoy it) (687 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -36.4%

This beer just hit me all wrong. I'm a great fan of oatmeal stouts, but this had a smokey character that was disquieting. Great coal black color. Some dark roasted coffee in the aroma, but a hickory smoke aspect to the malt that also had an odd acidity, like smoked summer sausage. Blah. (287 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -35.7%

Appearance- ½” coffee (2nd time poured 1½”) colored head which goes away fast. Can’t see any carbonation. Black with brown around edges. Very little lacing.

Smell- Light scent. Coffee and chocolate malts. Didn’t smell any hops.

Taste- Coffee taste. Pretty strong no roasted taste just coffee maybe a little chocolate in there. Coffee aftertaste.

Mouthfeel. Medium body and light carbonation.

Drinkability- Didn’t like it much at all. Way to much of a coffee flavor for me. (493 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance: Black and heavy-looking. Very little caramel-colored head which quickly withdraws to a ring bordering the glass.

Smell: Coffee and brown sugar smell. Smell is coming off pretty weak. It is there, just not in any substantial quantity. Some molasses and a deeper coffee flavor come into play as the beer warms a bit.

Taste: Not so present, either. Old coffee and water. A bit of carbonation does a little to enhance the flat, deflated taste--but not much. Some caramel sweetness coming through. An aftertaste of coffee that's been in the pot all day.

Mouthfeel: I actualy like the mouthfeel. My first impression was that it was pretty watery for a stout. However, it has just enough bulk to it, and the carbonation dances on my tongue enough to be stimulating. Its personality seems to be changing as I'm writing these last few sentences. Odd, it seems like the stout is becoming more watery in the last two sips. Hmm . . . I change my mind again. Mouthfeel is plummeting--back to watery.

Drinkability: I wouldn't want another one. Drinking this suffices for drinking a stout like one of those yellowed complementary coffee pots suffice for caffeine when you're in some awkward public place. I guess it "works," but not well. I really don't feel like finishing the last 1.5 inch of this in the glass. I'm kind of let down. The name had me so stoked.

I had this in Portland, and didn't think anything good--nor bad--of it at the time. Maybe this bottle is a fluke. If I have another opportunity to try it out, I will. And if my future experience is different, I'll update it. Otherwise, it stands. (1,611 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -33.6%

This is a standard beer we have around the house. My girlfriend likes Lost Coast quite a bit. I usually am looking for a beer that is more "in your face" than this, but tonight is a good night to look for subtly in an American Stout. Picked up a 6pack of 12oz bottles from BevMo in San Jose, CA fpr $6.59. Poured into a pint glass to review one of them.

No head, no retention, seemingly minimal carbonation and almost no lacing. Dark brown on the verge of being black in color, which is only detectable when held to a light.

Faint nose of sweet malts and mild chocolate.

Taste is more flavorful than the nose would have suggested. Sweet malts, mild hints of chocolate and coffee.

Light to medium in body with a watery mouthfeel and somewhat crisp finish. I do give them credit for this being as light as it is yet still being above 6%.

I can't think of too many situations where I would crave a stout as mild and watery as this one. (938 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -33.6%

A- Pours a deep black with a soft tan head that fades very quickly
S-Roasted coffer, caramel, and a some subtle earthy notes
T-Pretty disappointing. A little of the coffee comes through but the other notes that are in the nose aren't found in the taste. There are no really pronounced flavors
M-Light-medium overall, but quite light bodied for a stout
O-Not a fan. Being a stout I would expect much more in the flavor and more body. The flavor falls behind the aroma. (467 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours a dark and rich midnight black color. Dark and creamy coffee brown colored head. The aroma is rich and syrupy sweet with fruit, licorice, charcoal and Kaluha liqueur. There’s a sweet and roasted nut-like presence in this beer. The roasted grains taste like they are overdone here – tastes a bit burnt, with a harsh alcohol bite in the finish. This beer is hard to drink. It’s too over the top, without any real mellow smoothness. It’s strong, rich and bold. Some others would probably like it a bit more than me. (522 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -28.4%

12 ounces into a Duvel glass...

Pitch-black motor oil in color, with a 3/4 inch off-white head that quickly dissipates into a slight collar. Missing some of that big creamy cap that I see with other stouts. A big sniff presents brown sugar, molasses, a touch of butterscotch, and a tad of bittersweet chocolate. Though I am no stout pro by any means, it strikes me as a bit of a departure. First sip: right off, I get some of that brown sugar and toffee-like characteristics, but the middle is a strong fruitiness, some berry and (am I crazy, here) some raisin? Finishes with a quick slap of liquorice and the faintist hint of chocolate. I'm stumped, honestly. It seems to have more in common with a dubbel or quad than a stout. All of the quintessential things I would look for are absent. And then to compound the crime, it resembles a Belgian, but not a very good one either. Body is medium, with not much in the way of carbonation or hoppy tingle. A bad bottle, maybe? I can't tell. But I am very much underwhelmed. (1,022 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured into my 3-Philosophers chalace.
Very dark with hints of auburn daylight around the edges. One finger beige head dissapated rather quickly. Light lace surrounded the far reaches of the beer. Lines of carbonation make their way to the top of the glass.
Smell of slightly charred raisins and light malt. Not much nose to speak of.
Upon smelling, I was hoping the taste would be more prevelant, but I was dissapointed. Smokiness, low grade-over watery gas station coffee taste, a bit of sweetness towards the back of the tongue. Other than that, not much to speak of.
Quite watery and too carbonated for my tastes in a stout. Not impressed (650 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -25.8%

3 A black with orange and brown tones. brown foam leaves quickly, poor to no lacework.
3.5 S very hoppy for a stout. actually smells a bit like an IPA and reminds me slightly of Indica (tasted blind, so not imagining--guessed this stout was a lost coast offering). interesting, but very odd for the style.
3 T tangy, only a modicum of typical stout flavors. light-med body. dryish from start to finish. tangyness seems out of place
2.5 M on the flatter side
2 D too tangy. if I'm in the mood for a stout i wouldn't reach for this. if I'm in the mood for a good ipa or apa I'll go for a good ipa or apa. (607 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -25.8%

A - Pitch black, with an inch of sticky tan foam.

S - Roasty and kinda hoppy - good start. Some smokiness, citrus, molasses, maybe a hint of earthiness. Kinda like roasted grapefruits over a peat fire...

T - Not nearly as bitter as expected, a little tart up front, and somewhat sweet. Some toasted flavours and a bit of nuttiness is present, but I'm not getting *anything* but the tartness up front.

M - A bit chewy, but mostly the feeling of not tasting any flavour is odd and disconcerting.

D - Kinda bland in a wierd way. Not even sure how to describe it... I wouldn't even think a stout could be made to taste this little. (631 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

This screw-top bottle was one of the more affordable in my local beer store, at $1.69 per bottle in a mixed six pack. At least the low price made this run-of-the-mill stout feel like a better value.

Aroma shows plenty of dark malt, but it is odd - tobacco like; more specifically, not like a pipe or cigar, but like Copenhagen snuff. No, I don't dip, so it wasn't from a lump stuck to my moustache or anything.

Flavor is just OK. Enough dark malt to know it is a dark beer. Enough hops to know it;s not a porter, but nothing outstanding at all. Around the tasting table we all shrugged and went "eh, it's OK. What's next?"

I won't turn one down next time I run across it, but I won't go out of my way to get one either. There is a place in town that has it on tap; perhaps it will fare better served that way. (818 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -24.8%

This beer pours a dark brown nearly black color. The head is one inch of light tan foam that recedes slowly into a nice cap of lacing. The aroma has hints of roasted malt and cream, but it is very faint. The taste is similar to the aroma. That is to say there isn't much there. I understand that oatmeal stout is one of the lightest stout styles, but this beer is too light in both flavor and aroma even for an oatmeal stout. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a somewhat watery texture, and low carbonation. Overall, this is a bland beer that I will not drink again. (567 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -24%

Lost Coast is one of my favorite breweries, but I was not impressed with this one.

After pour, very thin, tan, quickly diminishing, fizzy head. Zero lacing.
Color was very dark brown, almost black.

Smell: sweet, molasses, sort of licorice, with a slight hint of coffee.

Mouthfeel was not very impressive, pretty thin and watery. Very light hint of malts, slightly toasted, hint of coffee.

All in all, very light body, thin texture with flat carbonation.

Pretty disappointed in Lost Coast's Oatmeal Stout - sorry guys. (522 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%

Deep brown, not 100% opaque. Creamy brown head, rocky, thin-bubbled. Rather underwhelming lactic malt aroma. Typical choco-coffee profile is complemented by a vanilla touch that gets somehow beany. It gets even more obvious in mouth, I figure on some days, I would call it vegetal, a blend of the almost husky malt, coffee beans and the greenish hops, today it just feels beany, roasty and milky. Sweet finish, sticking the lips together by the end of the bottle. Medium body. Still a decent drinking beer to me, appearing richer than it really is, but how this is one of the best stouts in the whole world is far and away beyond me. (633 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours very dark with a dark brown sticky lace on the perimeter of the glass.

S - Maybe it's just me, but I'm picking up a lot of alcohol. Touches of malt and chocolate.

T - Alcohol, roasty coffee and malts in that order. The tastes don't seem to be blending at all and everything is too strong seperately.

M - No carbonation to speak of which makes it very heavy on the mouth, while still being a thin stout.

D - At 6.3% it's not a killer, but the taste and how it went down, was a disspointment for me.

Perhaps I got a bad bottle, because this doesn't seem to be in line with what people are saying, but I call it like I see it. (648 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured out of a 660 mL undated bomber into a pint mug.

Pours an unimpressive deep brown with a small fizzy head that laces a bit, but this is a stout. It should be big head and great retention. Aromas are muted, primarily of molasses and a bit of roast. Taste continues in the same manner, just overall an unimpressive and uninspired stout IMHO. (346 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours out a really dark black with brown suds about 1 fingers worth.
Smell is roasted malt and coffee with a slight plum/raisin aroma.
Taste is watery. Some coffee comes through as the hops are in here but there is nothing else going on here.
Mouthfeel is dirty.
I would think that Lost Coast has better offering than this stout. (333 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.7%

On tap at Elk Public House. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance is a black walnut color nearly opaque with garnet red hues. Less than resilient beige head.

Smell is faint, with some coffee notes.

Taste is a one-dimensional sweet coffee flavor. Bit of an earthy peat or dirt flavor about it.

Mouthfele is a thin body for the style.

Drinkable but not a very robust representation of the style. There are better. (414 characters)

8 Ball Stout from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe