8 Ball Stout - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

8 Ball Stout8 Ball Stout

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 07-23-2002)
2.85/5  rDev -25.8%

3 A black with orange and brown tones. brown foam leaves quickly, poor to no lacework.
3.5 S very hoppy for a stout. actually smells a bit like an IPA and reminds me slightly of Indica (tasted blind, so not imagining--guessed this stout was a lost coast offering). interesting, but very odd for the style.
3 T tangy, only a modicum of typical stout flavors. light-med body. dryish from start to finish. tangyness seems out of place
2.5 M on the flatter side
2 D too tangy. if I'm in the mood for a stout i wouldn't reach for this. if I'm in the mood for a good ipa or apa I'll go for a good ipa or apa.

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%

This screw-top bottle was one of the more affordable in my local beer store, at $1.69 per bottle in a mixed six pack. At least the low price made this run-of-the-mill stout feel like a better value.

Aroma shows plenty of dark malt, but it is odd - tobacco like; more specifically, not like a pipe or cigar, but like Copenhagen snuff. No, I don't dip, so it wasn't from a lump stuck to my moustache or anything.

Flavor is just OK. Enough dark malt to know it is a dark beer. Enough hops to know it;s not a porter, but nothing outstanding at all. Around the tasting table we all shrugged and went "eh, it's OK. What's next?"

I won't turn one down next time I run across it, but I won't go out of my way to get one either. There is a place in town that has it on tap; perhaps it will fare better served that way.

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%

This beer pours a dark brown nearly black color. The head is one inch of light tan foam that recedes slowly into a nice cap of lacing. The aroma has hints of roasted malt and cream, but it is very faint. The taste is similar to the aroma. That is to say there isn't much there. I understand that oatmeal stout is one of the lightest stout styles, but this beer is too light in both flavor and aroma even for an oatmeal stout. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a somewhat watery texture, and low carbonation. Overall, this is a bland beer that I will not drink again.

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours very dark with a dark brown sticky lace on the perimeter of the glass.

S - Maybe it's just me, but I'm picking up a lot of alcohol. Touches of malt and chocolate.

T - Alcohol, roasty coffee and malts in that order. The tastes don't seem to be blending at all and everything is too strong seperately.

M - No carbonation to speak of which makes it very heavy on the mouth, while still being a thin stout.

D - At 6.3% it's not a killer, but the taste and how it went down, was a disspointment for me.

Perhaps I got a bad bottle, because this doesn't seem to be in line with what people are saying, but I call it like I see it.

2.95/5  rDev -23.2%

Deep brown, not 100% opaque. Creamy brown head, rocky, thin-bubbled. Rather underwhelming lactic malt aroma. Typical choco-coffee profile is complemented by a vanilla touch that gets somehow beany. It gets even more obvious in mouth, I figure on some days, I would call it vegetal, a blend of the almost husky malt, coffee beans and the greenish hops, today it just feels beany, roasty and milky. Sweet finish, sticking the lips together by the end of the bottle. Medium body. Still a decent drinking beer to me, appearing richer than it really is, but how this is one of the best stouts in the whole world is far and away beyond me.

2.95/5  rDev -23.2%

Lost Coast is one of my favorite breweries, but I was not impressed with this one.

After pour, very thin, tan, quickly diminishing, fizzy head. Zero lacing.
Color was very dark brown, almost black.

Smell: sweet, molasses, sort of licorice, with a slight hint of coffee.

Mouthfeel was not very impressive, pretty thin and watery. Very light hint of malts, slightly toasted, hint of coffee.

All in all, very light body, thin texture with flat carbonation.

Pretty disappointed in Lost Coast's Oatmeal Stout - sorry guys.

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured out of a 660 mL undated bomber into a pint mug.

Pours an unimpressive deep brown with a small fizzy head that laces a bit, but this is a stout. It should be big head and great retention. Aromas are muted, primarily of molasses and a bit of roast. Taste continues in the same manner, just overall an unimpressive and uninspired stout IMHO.

Pours out a really dark black with brown suds about 1 fingers worth.
Smell is roasted malt and coffee with a slight plum/raisin aroma.
Taste is watery. Some coffee comes through as the hops are in here but there is nothing else going on here.
Mouthfeel is dirty.
I would think that Lost Coast has better offering than this stout.

8 Ball Stout from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe