Downtown Brown - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

good

good

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Downtown Brown Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had some Lost Coast beers and they were pretty good, so figured I would most likely enjoy the Lost Coast Downtown Brown. That did not prove true with the Brown, which just not what I expected. The beer started off nice with a really oaty, malty aroma. It went downhill quickly though, as the head was pretty wimpy and the beer itself looked more like an amber or red, rather than a brown.

The flavor was malty at first, then ended sweet, which I didn't care for. I expect a more robust taste with a brown and this wasn't it. On a good note, this was a smooth beer, but unfortunately not one I would buy again.

Smell - 3.5/5.0 - nice oaty malt smell
Appearance - 2.5/5.0 - Wimpy head, more amber color than brown; head was gone quick
Flavor - 3.0/5.0 - there was some malt taste, with a sweeter finish - not what I would expect in a brown
Feel - 3.5/5.0 no aftertaste, pretty smooth
Drinkability - 2.5/5.0 - not my style of brown, so won't be picking this one up again

taxguyjase, Sep 02, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

The logo for Lost Coast is very eye catching if you ask me. Their labels are not far behind in visual appeal. I hope what's behind those two stands out as well. Poured into my pint glass the beer is a reddish brown hue with emphasis on the brown. Nice thick creamy tan head that peaks right to the top of my glass. The head leaves a decent amount of sticky lace around the rim. The aroma is wonderful. Cotton candy like sweetness with chocolate and caramel. It smells like a melted candy bar. Or a mocha latte with five tablespoons of sugar. The flavor is nowhere near as sweet. Which is a good thing since it would be too much if it were. A moderate cocoa flavor that's nutty and malty overall. Very mild and easy on the tastebuds. Medium body with enough carbonation to keep my tongue interested. Overall this beer is very easy to drink. Maybe not a stand-out for the style but, a solid effort.

beerwolf77, Sep 01, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

This is a good brown, not my first or second choice but a good one to try. A little more Smokey than I like in a brown. It tastes more like a porter to me.
Look is a nice darker brown with a very small head that reduces to a small ring quickly.
Smell is pretty mild a little roasted malt and some sweetness.
Taste was stronger than I thought it would be from the smell. Nutty and sweet with a Smokey bitterness.
Feel is fairly smooth and finishes clean. Good carbonation.
Drink I had a few of these, 4, and could have easily finished the sixer in one sitting.

dbtoe, Aug 30, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Bought this for a friend that came to town and exclusively drinks stouts and porters. I too enjoy stouts and porters, but not normally during hot Vegas summers. This beer however is a good choice for summer drinking. It's easy to drink and doesn't over power the taste buds or leave a heavy after taste. It has a slight hit of chocolatey bitterness when it first strikes the tongue. It's a very dark brown with a slight transparency that reflects a deep crimson. As a side note on smell, it didn't have any outstanding aromas in which to speak. That aside it is a good beer that I would recommend as an alternative to most summer beers.

dislogik, Aug 14, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +21%

This beer poured with minimal foam with a brown color (the name doesn't lie). I immediately noticed notes of nuttiness and later a mild cinnamon scent. The initial flavor is of walnuts and, despite the beer not being thick, I was surprised by the flavor which had a bold almost porter like finish. I will admit I didn't expect much from the beer, I don't remember being wowed by brown ale, yet, this beer was a nice surprise, great notes and flavor!

vegantreats, Aug 12, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -14.5%

a. a brown mahogany color to it, with plenty of action going on with the bubbles. the head was gone ten seconds after the pour and left almost no lacing.

s. didn't have a very strong smell and it was almost an almondy aroma.

t. first and foremost, i liked the taste. it wasn't too sweet, it was just right. a for lack of a better term, "brown" taste to it. nutty and awesome.

m. there were lots of bubbles going on in the mouth, very active.

d. i will drink this beer again, it went down smooth, tasted good and was an overall awesome experience.

hobbitking54, Aug 07, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

A; Perfect color for a brown Ale, dark amber in the light, good translucent brown otherwise. Small, one finger head but lots of active carb. OK to Poor lacing though.

S: Malty and dark fruit, intriguing, smells like something much heavier, but without the roast. No hops though, good sweetness.

T: Similar to the nose, but tending more towards a malty or candy sweetness. Definite nuttyness, especially in the aftertaste. Reminds me of Magnolia's Pecan Brown Ale a little. Still, a little flat and maybe a very week diacetyl taste?

M: A little flat, and not too creamy. Workable if I was really into the flavor as some might be, but not great.

D: Could be done, but I don't think I'd have too many unless it was free.

mdwalsh, Jul 31, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

a - Dark amber brown and cloudy (brown ales that I know and love do not have this cloudy aspect them) Thin evaporating head. Looks fine, just not what I was expecting.

s - Nutty and full of spicy chocolate caramel tones. Mouth watering aroma.

t - A bit of a let down. After that wonderful nose, the mouth is expecting a big bold rich flavor and this beer does not deliver that. It is a nice mild, sweet, nutty flavor.

m - Too watery to be medium body, too creamy to be light bodied. So, somewhere between those.

d - Once could drink a boat load of these but I doubt it would be anyone's first choice.

This is Lost Coast's milder and less exciting brown ale. I much prefer the richer bolder flavor of the Winterbraun but would not complain if this was served. With so many great brown ales available in the West, I have this as a big step down from Rogues Hazelnut and Bear Republic's Tribute. I put it a notch below Lost Coast's Winterbraun due to milder taste and a notch below Big Sky's Moose Drool for not being quite as balanced or sessionable. It does stay ahead of run of the mill micros like Alesmith's Nautical Brown and mass produced imports like Newcastle.

tyanow, Jul 22, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a lovely ruby-brown color with less than an inch of medium tan head that dissipated quickly, leaving surprisingly thick lacing.

A solid malt aroma has just a hint of hop spice at the finish. The flavors are solidly malty, just a little sweet, not sticky-sweet like some brown ales can be, with that nice little spice on the end.

The body is typical for the style, full without being heavy. The drinkability is wonderful, a smooth long term sipper for a session at the tavern. Overall another very nice beer from a brewery that often gets overlooked amongst the hype of the trend of the week. Worth seeking out.

beertunes, Jul 09, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

I enjoyed this beer very much. It poured dark brown color with very little head. Its caramel nuttiness was delicious and very refreshing. The smell was of a sugarcane hopness that was not overpowering, in fact I hardly noticed it after a while. Smooth taste all the way down, with a slight lingering of hop aftertaste. Drinkablility was excellent, I could have had more. And I think I will.

Bessie113Life, Jul 08, 2009

you know I was not sure about this beer but a friend of mine turned me on to it

I like it .. nice rich malty and caramels flavors.. hint of hops and well just an over all good beer
if you are looking for a good drinking English brown then you have found it right here

mjmbeer, Jul 03, 2009

Pours into pint glass from bottle, dark brown, literally no head except what is at the end of the pour. Not fizzy. No lacing as it is taken in.

Smells like sweet like brown sugar. Not a strong smell but a soothing smell.

Tastes a little nutty, taste hits tip of my tongue and quickly goes down the gullet. I can take big swallows of this. Taste does linger on the tongue but not annoyingly.

I'm usually not into browns and turn my nose up at them BUT, I must say, this has me wondering what else do I taste in it and if so its good! I like this one. Maybe I've not tried and English brown like this one.

basscram, Jun 17, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -3%

I would say this is a pretty good beer.

Appearance- dark brown, good head

Smell- sweet malt

Taste- caramel, a bit nutty

Mouthfeel- smooth, medium bodied

Drinkability- It was really easy to drink. I could definitely have more. I enjoy it pretty well. ( and it's named after me lol)

jeffjeff1, Jun 11, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance - Medium brown color with some red when viewed in a fairly lit room. Medium head which hung out for the start of the drink, and then laced on the edges.

Smell - Sweet maltiness , some chocolate hints, hops in the back

Taste - Very sweet malt with toasted and roasty flavors. Just enough hops to make it a light american brown ale. Very tasty IMO and how I like a brown ale

Mouthfeel- good carbonation, slightly watery composure

Drinkability - I had a bomber of this and was easily able to finish it off - had I another, it probably would have been the same story

alpinebryant, May 29, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours translucent brown with thin white head. Nose is tepid but has some sweet roasty malt, and a slight smoked aroma. Palate has that smoke aroma/flavor I mentioned, across a rather thin body, and a slight hopy character that comes up near the end. Finish is short and sweet.

yemenmocha, May 24, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A 12 ounce bottle poured into my nonic pint glass. Appears a clear chestnut brown color with a finger of fizzy light ecru foam. The head fades to a thin layer within a few minutes. Smells and tastes of medium roasted grains, mild nuttiness, caramel, sweet malts, and a touch of brown sugar. This ale was medium bodied with ample carbonation for the style. Check it out.

ClockworkOrange, May 09, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -9%

A - pours a clear mahogany brown with ruby highlights

S - not a whole lot going on, just some caramel malt aroma

T - caramel and brown sugar, a bit of nutty flavor, again, not too much flavor

M/D - very smooth and drinkable, nicely carbonated and easy to drink. Overall the flavors just aren't prominent with this beer.

mikereaser, Apr 29, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: clear brown in color with a two finger head that disappears quickly.

Smell: caramel is the lone tone and it is rather light on the nose.

Taste: caramel, pinch of brown sugar, red apples, and a hint of nuttiness lingers in the background. Bitterness is light.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp throughout. Very short-lived aftertaste which focuses on the caramel tones.

Drinkability: easy to drink this one, but the flavors are a bit muted for the style.

Gavage, Apr 17, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

Reviewed from notes:

P: The body of this beer is a copper-tinged brown with an off-white head that is soapy with rather unimpressive retention. Sunk to a halo with a little lace.

A: Mixed variety of tree nuts, earthy hops, and slightly roasted malts. Overall, it has kind of a musky tone to it.

T: Hmm...very subdued, and dare I say, weak. Bittersweet chocolate, toasted nuts, light toffee, and some roasty/toasty malts. Maybe some coffee underneath and earthy hops that give a bitter stab late. Very average-tasting brown ale that's forgettable.

M: Downtown Brown is a medium-bodied brew with a gentle amount of carbonation for an easy-going feel to it.

Notes: This is a very average brew. Nothing horrible but nothing memorable, either. Leaves no calling card to remember it by.

sweetbrew82, Apr 16, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Transparent golden brown. Off-white head drops to a couple millimeters, but sticks around.

(Note to self: Be careful when typing. The head is not "off-shite.")

Smells a bit grassy, a bit biscuity.

Mouth is biscuity malt, mostly. A little bit of a grassy hop backbone gives it balance, but not quite enough. It's a bit sweet and I'm picking up just the slightest bit of diacetyl, I think.

The mouthfeel is pretty good. A bit creamy, but not heavy. Still, there's enough body to match the sweet ale flavors. Carbonation is minimal.

This is a decent brown ale, but not great. Still, it's totally sessionable and does not offend.

thryn, Apr 11, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

12 ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium globe glass. No bottling info or abv is given.

A-Pours a dark brown with a nice red hue. Has a one finger off white head that dissolves into a nice ring. Pretty good lacing left.

S-Not a ton going here. Get sweet malt on the nose.

T-Tastes of sweet malt and not much else. A little one dimensional for me.

M-Nice carbonation. Has a lighter body.

D-Goes down very easily. Not heavy at all.

Not good, not bad is the best way to sum up this beer. I am not a fan of Newcastle, or any nut brown ales for that matter, so this is not one of my favorite styles. It is very light and I can see it being very accessible to a lot of people.

mjl21, Apr 08, 2009
3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance - Deep brown with some obvious red when held up to a light. Tan colored 1/2 inch head which subsided fairly quickly.

Smell - Sweet maltiness and some chocolate hints

Taste - Very sweet malt with obvious toasted and roasted flavors. Hops hit you at the very end to balance the sweetness

Mouthfeel- Nicely carbonated with a thin texture

Drinkability - Not a bad brew. Almost a little too sweet to have too many in a night but very nice beer.

mcraw88, Apr 05, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a dark brown with some burgandy highlights. A small layer of foam is present but dissolves and clings to the sides of the glass.

Smells nutty with hints of toffee, roasted malts and a little tobacco.

A nice smooth taste with notes of maltiness and a nutty flavor. Not much aftertaste which is nice.

Lower alcohol makes for a higher drinkability. While not a thirst-quencher, having a few of these in a night would not be out of the question.

I'm not a huge fan of the English style beers, but this was nice.

kaseydad, Apr 03, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

Nutty brown colour; honey, nutty aroma with traces of maltiness wafting through; a complex taste that is somewhat bitter, honey and malty tones that seem to hit the middle of the tongue more than anywhere else in the mouth, does have a slightly water taste; bitter-nut after taste.

dEM1972, Mar 24, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a Deschuttes Pint glass.

A - Dark Dark Amber. Not as dark as a stout, but in between an amber and a stout. No head, no lacing, depressing.

S - Smell is sweet, roasty, and oaky.

T - taste is actually different from the smell it delivers. The taste is roasty, with a bitter aftertaste.

M - Flat, lightly carbonated, but very smooth.

D - This beer starts off great, but loses something on the way. I cannot imagine myself wanting another brew after having this one.

Overall,this beer is my go-to brown ale when the mood strikes me. There are much better brown ales out there, but for the price, this does what I need it too. I only see myself purchasing this brew on a sale price.

abecall98, Mar 05, 2009