Raspberry Brown - Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe

Raspberry BrownRaspberry Brown

Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe visit their website

American Brown Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: oberon on 02-21-2003)
1.5/5  rDev -56.6%

1.6/5  rDev -53.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Bomber via Beermasons, poured into a 7oz glass.

Pours a light brown and amber colour, see-through and has an off-white head of foam that sat almost at an ideal height before it visibly receded like a wave at the beach.

Smell is over the top with raspberry sweetness. Imagine if Belle-Vue made children's lollies and this is what you get. Tiny bit of malt coming through but otherwise this is as sweet as it gets.

Taste is right with the smell, again way over the top with raspberry sweetness to the point where this raspberry sweet flavour totally overwhelms any underlying brown ale that ought to be there.

Mouthfeel is full, some chewiness on the mid-palate and then the sweetness sort of attacks your mouth in the same way as you are imagining the sugar in this affecting your teeth.

Overall this is a poor beer. The two flavours probably have some potential to work together, but in this case they don't get along. The sweetness is far too much and destroys this beer with its dominance.

1.7/5  rDev -50.9%

Picked up a 22oz for my Gf, thought she'd like it, but i ended up drinking it, or rather pouring it out

beer was horrible, lots or raspberry aroma, and articial raspberry taste, no malt taste, no hops and was very thin, almost watered down

Gf tried the last bit in my glass and hated it as well, I ended up pouring out the rest of the bottle

quite a disappointment as I really like some other brews from Lost Coast

1.75/5  rDev -49.4%

First, let me say that I LOVE almost every Lost Coast Brewery product.

However, this is the exception.

1. The "raspberry flavors" taste 100% artificial.

2. Raspberry and chocolate/mocha/coffee flavors do NOT mix well, to my tastes.

A: No faults.
S: Typical Downtown Brown smells, but with artificial fruits also apparent
T: Absolutely TERRIBLE artificial raspberry flavors, completely incompatible with the rest of the beer flavors (mocha, chocolate, coffee)
M: Decent, medium bodied
D: Sweet/bitter/tart/etc balance is WAY off in this one.

Overall, this is the only Lost Coast Brewery product that I cannot stand. Flavors are way off (especially the raspberry), and there is IMO NO balance of flavors.

2.05/5  rDev -40.8%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations couldn't be lower; of all the styles to add fruit to brown ale seems like the worst. I'm anticipating a syrupy artifical mess. I hope my expectations aren't accurate. Every beer gets a chance. Acquired at a local Ralph's market.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two and a half finger head of fair cream, decent thickness, and good retention. Colour is a semitransparent amber. Not at all typical of a brown ale, but not so red it's suspicious. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Artificial syrupy raspberry - just as I suspected. Sugary. Clean malts are eclipsed by the scent of the damned raspberry. A pretty strong aroma. Please don't taste like you smell!

T: ...Fuck. Artificial raspberry syrup adjunct eclipses everything, even the clean malts (some of which are caramelized). Strange for a brown ale - where are the nuts? Horridly imbalanced. Poorly built. Hardly any cream comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some fizzly tingling sensation from the fruit syrup. Thin. Syrupy. Garbage.

Dr: Hardly drinkable on account of the low quality. I wouldn't have this again, even on draught. Won't satisfy fans of Brown Ales. Won't satisfy hardly anyone. No wonder it's brewed by the type of people who set up a brewery called "Lost Coast" in a town called "Eureka". Lo, how clever!

A fly flew into my beer while I was reviewing it. Seems he's the only one that wants it. I was happy to relinquish the remainder of me glass to the lil bugger.

Please don't buy this. Vote with your dollar.

D

2.08/5  rDev -39.9%

Strong aroma of artifical sweetner and raspberries. Nice brown color with a good, but fast fading head. Seems very watery to like whatever they added to raspberry it up watered down the brown ale. It is there but diluted. Some roastiness, but mostly I get a kind of mild malty water with raspberry int he finish.

2.13/5  rDev -38.4%

22 oz. bomber poured into a pub glass.

Appearance - Pours a nice amber/brown color with a red tint. There was no lacing to speak of and very little head retention.

Smell - It smells exactly like a raspberry flavored candy that I'm fond of, so I was expecting it to be pretty sweet tasting...

Taste - I got a slight raspberry taste with a mostly malty bland taste.

Mouthfeel - It was pretty well carbonated and felt like a watered down brown ale.

Drinkability - I didn't really get the sweetness as much as some of the other reviewers, but there was really nothing about this beer that made me want to have another.

I'm hoping this was an old bottle because it was really lacking in taste. The brewed on date would be helpful here if a month had been notched. I really wanted to like this beer...

2.2/5  rDev -36.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle

Pours a dark amber color with a finger of head and slight lacing.

Smells like raspberry extract to me... that's about it.. Not very impressive

There's a hit of raspberry that falls off to a bland... well a bland nothing really Was thinking it would be sweet & malty with a raspberry finish but that didn't happen

Mouth is medium with low carbonation

Drink? ummm i might not even finish this one & i'm not one to drain pour

Edit: Down the drain.

2.25/5  rDev -35%

Bomber poured into a snifter.

A- Dark reddish brown, a raspberry brown, lol. Tan colored head, one fingers worth. Head tends to linger

S- Raspberry is dominate, but not as strong as you would think. Some what of a roasted malty character is there.

T- Rich and creamy, Raspberry tart flavor. Sort of a malty character I feel is the main backbone of the flavor. Candyish after taste. Very odd. A nasty dr. pepper(ish) flavor lingers in the after taste for some time. Unpleasant.

M- Medium bodied. Good amount of carb.

D- Its ok tasting, and I feel after a pint I would be changing beers to something much better.

Doesn't come near my favorite of the "fruit beers."

2.34/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I tried this beer again a few years after the first taste. I was a bit disappointed yet not surprised.
The appearance was not all that impressive- the dark liquid smells just like cherry coke to me. The stuff even tasted like cherry coke. Hints of cherry and berries.
Not a fan of flavored beers.
Overall not too impressive. I would't recommend this to many people, if I were to then it would be to a woman.

2.35/5  rDev -32.1%

Tap@Lost Coast, May 2004. Glace cheery sweetness, with a decent brown ale to back it up, don’t like the rasberry sweetness, mixed with the sweetness of the Brown Ale, it just becomes a bit one dimensionally sweet. Some aromatic hops in the finish, but this is mostly about the glace cherry flavours. A bit odd.

2.35/5  rDev -32.1%

Body is a dark brown, the head is thin but it does lace the glass.

Raspberry on the nose. Something off about that through.

The raspberry seems "candied" and fake somehow. The darker malts are there, brown malts. The raspberry is consistent throughout just not winning me over. I brewed with real raspberries recently and this is not at all how it turned out.

Really thin brew, comes off like a soda in this regard.

2.6/5  rDev -24.9%

22oz bomber pours an amber brown with 1 finger of light head, some retention and light lacing down the glass.

Smell is fresh raspberry, oh so sweet!

Taste is .... blech. Raspberry cola flavor. Sickly sweet, thin, thin body, too much carbonation. Slight alcohol in the back, slightly medicinal. Small caramel malts.

I honestly couldn't have more than a glass but my sister who doesn't really like beer, with who I shared the bomber with, likes it. Just really not my thing.

2.68/5  rDev -22.5%

Bottle Date on the side, with nothing notched off.

A: The pour was an almost artificial looking reddish-amber. Like a cherry or raspberry syrup, almost. Head retention is poor, as is lacing.

S: The smell doesn't really do it for me either. A raspberry cola-ish scent. To be fair, it's not really that bad just, again, somewhat artificial feeling.

T: Raspberry, of course. Lots of raspberry extract. Some malty flavors as well, but they take a serious back seat.

M: Pretty well carbonated, a very light mouthfeel all in all. Somewhat watery.

D: Eh. I mean, from an average perspective, it's a pretty drinkable and light beer. Not so much for me.

2.73/5  rDev -21.1%

22 oz. bottle- color of reddish brown , and a off white head - nose of hazelnuts , burnt , mocha , and hopps – taste of sour , malts , slight raspberries, burnt nuts , coco and mild hopps - body light , and mildly carbonated – aftertaste of chocolate , malts, and burnt oak

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

I need to preface this by saying that I am not a fan of most fruit-beers, and this was no exception.

The color was beautiful--bold and deeply rusty with a hue towards maroon.

The taste was too much for me. The raspberry was so overwhelming that I forgot I was drinking beer. It almost had that chemical-like flavor you get with sugary-flavored drinks. Two sips was more than enough for me--I could feel the hangover starting already.

Raspberry Brown from Lost Coast Brewery and Cafe