1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fire Eagle IPA - Austin Beerworks

Fire Eagle IPAFire Eagle IPA

Austin Beerworks visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: UTCengOwl on 05-24-2011)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 209 | Reviews: 52 | Show All Ratings:
northaustin

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

also received mine at the draught house. a clear yellow/light orange with a finger of even white head. the head disappeared quickly but left some nice stringy lacing.

smell: all hops, floral at first, then lemony and citrusy and sorta dry.

taste: interesting small caramel flavor for a split second, followed by a blast of hops which is somewhat tart at first, but quickly becomes very piney and lemony.

mouthfeel: smooth and oily. superb for an ipa

overall: cant wait to see more of this beer around town.

05-25-2011 16:14:34 | More by northaustin
UTCengOwl

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Had this on tap tonight at the Draught House. It was served in a shaker pint glass and paired with a hard sheep's milk cheese. I would have tried to review this at their unveiling earlier in the week, but the line was out the door. I guess they're too popular for their own good!

The beer is golden with distinct orange hues. It has a white head that has good retention and leaves some lacing... but the bubbles are a bit too large for my tastes. If it had a slightly denser head, I'd give it a 4.5. Still a good looking beer.

The nose is mostly hops. As soon as I sniff the thing, memories of Racer 5 come rushing back to me. Pine and slightly sticky grapefruit pith. I think this might just be a subdued Racer 5...

The taste is also right along the Racer 5 lines, but less sticky. Pine and pithy grapefruit. I'll go ahead and guess that this is mostly a C-hop blend. I might prefer a bit brighter fruit flavor in my IPA (I'm a sucker for Amarillo hops), but I can see what they're aiming for with this blend and it hits the target quite well. The beer is distinctly dry. I can almost feel the water being sucked out of my mouth. This combined with the pleasant carbonation makes for a very solid IPA mouthfeel. The beer ends with a bitterness that's distinctly IPA, but it's clean and not overpowering.

This was one heck of a refreshing debut for ABW. If I wasn't coming back in to work after grabbing this beer, I would have definitely had to sample their other offerings. I'm excited to see this around Austin in cans. I'd definitely pick up a six pack of this over another canned IPA like Modus Hoperandi.

05-24-2011 02:47:16 | More by UTCengOwl