Fire Eagle IPA - Austin Beerworks

Texas, United States

Beer added by: UTCengOwl on 05-24-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.52/5  rDev +17.7%

Had this on tap, next to two other IPAs. This was my clear winner.

A: Brilliantly clear light copper color. Light head with medium
lacing.

S: Fantastic citrus/floral aroma with and a faintly sweet maltiness.

T: Bitterness perfectly balanced by the malt, followed by pure hop
flavor and a clean, dry finish.

M: Nicely carbonated, full-bodied but a dry finish. Perfect.

O: My only complaint is I'd like to see a fluffier head with better
lacing. That's a minor gripe though. My new favorite local IPA. (510 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +14.3%

I am excited to have another Texas IPA that we can get on the shelves. With the FireEagle, I'd say this is the best packaged Texas IPA on the market now.

Appearance - dark copper

Smell - Opening the can and pouring release a huge burst of citrus hop.

Taste - lots of hop complexity. You can tell this was brewed with 4 hops. Even with all the hops though, it finishes clean and dry making it easy to have a few of these.

Great job from a new brewery. Keep it coming. (471 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

Drank it directly from the can! I love how some of the Texas Micros are going this route.

Great deep golden with crisp clarity. Good amount of head retention but not overly thick.

Smell of bright hops. Almost like they just dry hopped it. Good balance of biscuit and citrus/floral hops.

Clean drinking IPA. Smooth and not overly thick on the palate. Bold hop presence with out a long bittering tail on the taste buds. I can drink this all day.

This is a great offering from a young Texas brewery. A very tasty IPA with a long standing drinkability. Can't wait to try out their other offerings. Great job guys! (613 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +6.5%

also received mine at the draught house. a clear yellow/light orange with a finger of even white head. the head disappeared quickly but left some nice stringy lacing.

smell: all hops, floral at first, then lemony and citrusy and sorta dry.

taste: interesting small caramel flavor for a split second, followed by a blast of hops which is somewhat tart at first, but quickly becomes very piney and lemony.

mouthfeel: smooth and oily. superb for an ipa

overall: cant wait to see more of this beer around town. (510 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Had this on tap tonight at the Draught House. It was served in a shaker pint glass and paired with a hard sheep's milk cheese. I would have tried to review this at their unveiling earlier in the week, but the line was out the door. I guess they're too popular for their own good!

The beer is golden with distinct orange hues. It has a white head that has good retention and leaves some lacing... but the bubbles are a bit too large for my tastes. If it had a slightly denser head, I'd give it a 4.5. Still a good looking beer.

The nose is mostly hops. As soon as I sniff the thing, memories of Racer 5 come rushing back to me. Pine and slightly sticky grapefruit pith. I think this might just be a subdued Racer 5...

The taste is also right along the Racer 5 lines, but less sticky. Pine and pithy grapefruit. I'll go ahead and guess that this is mostly a C-hop blend. I might prefer a bit brighter fruit flavor in my IPA (I'm a sucker for Amarillo hops), but I can see what they're aiming for with this blend and it hits the target quite well. The beer is distinctly dry. I can almost feel the water being sucked out of my mouth. This combined with the pleasant carbonation makes for a very solid IPA mouthfeel. The beer ends with a bitterness that's distinctly IPA, but it's clean and not overpowering.

This was one heck of a refreshing debut for ABW. If I wasn't coming back in to work after grabbing this beer, I would have definitely had to sample their other offerings. I'm excited to see this around Austin in cans. I'd definitely pick up a six pack of this over another canned IPA like Modus Hoperandi. (1,622 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last