Pearl Snap Pils - Austin Beerworks

to view more.
Ratings: 237 | Reviews: 43
Reviews by Premo88:
4.09/5  rDev +6.2%

on tap at Torchy's Tacos in Cedar Park, poured into (chilled, dammit!) 16 oz. pint glass
(from 6/8/14)

L: standard clear yellow with 1/3-inch white foam, some stick, some lace but very little -- the chilled mug screws this one all up for me

S: grassy, citrus, some malt but this one leans more on real green light hop notes ... some grain; citrus is mostly lemon

T: fantastic, crisp, clean with nice greener, grassy hop bites ... didn't get much sweet/light malt tastes, *maybe* some cracker ... grain notes, rice/cereal

F: strong and sturdy with good carbonation but light enough to drink (and drink and drink and drink)

O: only had the one pint, so all of this is a first-blush look at the brew, but it's very, very good ... looking forward to trying many more

Drank from a can at The Common Table.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a nice-sized white head. The aroma is a mix of grain and grass with a little bit of citrus mixed in. A very nice smelling beer. The flavor is a mix of grain and bready malt, with some grassy and citrus hops mixed in. I also get a little bit of toffee in the flavor. The bitterness is pretty high for a pilsner but goes with the flavors very well. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice beer.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%

A: The can was mostly green and red. Top and bottom were silvery.

S: Tons of that good Pilsner smell. I call it the "pilsner skunk" but that's just the hops. I've grown to love that smell, and this one has it.

Taste: Lost of hop bitterness. I didn't detect much hop flavor, or that "Bite" that I get from other pilsners. No taste of pilsner malt.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, light and clean. I like that it's not as carbonated as most packaged beer is. I forgot I had just drank a beer, because almost nothing lingers in your mouth.

Overall: It'd rate higher if there was a little more pronounced hop flavor to balance the hop bitterness, or if there was more noticeable malt flavor. It feels good to drink and is certainly refreshing.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from the can into a pils glass. The beer is a lemony yellow with a white head that fades to some suds. I was worried that the beer was flat when I opened the can to almost no co2 hiss but there is a steady stream of bubbles to disprove that.

The nose is clean and crisp just as you would expect from the style. A firm Nobel hop smell with a bready malted grain scent. There is also a touch of lemon peel and grass. Very nice.

The taste is like the nose with a firm showing of toasted grains and a lemon rind pinch with some earthy grass clippings. This beer is very quenching with a simple yet perfect flavor.

Mouthfeel is another feather in Austin Beerworks cap. It is crisp and dry with a light carbonated bite. I am a big fan of this beer. To me there is nothing better then a simple yet flavorful beer. Combine the fact that it's canned and easy to take with you to the beach or lake and you have my new favorite summer beer!

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

This is Texas beer from a can, so I felt I should evaluate this one consumed from the can, as well as in a glass...
From can- the appearance is awesome! Perhaps the best beer packaging in Texas? In the glass, the beer pours a nice moderate off-white head that sticks around a bit.
From the can the aroma is overwhelmingly fresh hops. Reminds me of sticking my nose in a bag of hop pellets. Allowed to open up in the glass, the aroma is not so in-your-face hops and some cracker-like malt shows up. I also get the slightest hint of sulphur that adds a pleasant nuance to the danky hop profile.
The flavor impression straight outta the can is immediately lively and hop dominated. It comes on strong and fast and finishes clean and dry with a lingering hop bite. The beer smooths out in both carbonation, which remains lively, and hop bitterness when consumed from a glass. I'm also able to pick out that sulphur note in the glass again, which is so minor, but serves to make the beer feel a bit crisper and drier I think. Nice.
Overall, a supremely drinkable, crisp, dry and hoppy session beer. One of the best craft pilseners I have tried.

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Slightly hazy pale golden color body. Very clean nose. Saaz is apparent. I enjoy the bready flavors and the overall hoppiness, but there's a toastiness that I'm just not feeling. Almost like this was brewed by New Belgium. Mouthfeel is bubbly and full; solid. This would be a pretty solid go-to beer if not for the toastiness. Kinda kills it for me. Solid otherwise.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Gotta love ABW's Can do attitude. Picked up a sixer of this at Spec's. At $7.70, you can bet your ass I'm going to buy their stuff whenever I need casual non-homebrew to sip on. I'll probably pick up the Fire Eagle (SCREEEE) over this, but it's close and that might just be my preference for IPAs. With this and Live Oak Pilz, Austin has some good easy drinking options. Served in a (512) TWO glass. Gotta keep it local.

The beer looks like you'd want an idealized AAL to look like. Inviting, clear gold body. White head settles on top nicely. Fades before in finish, though. Points off for that.

The nose is grassy, peppery, noble and sweet. Not a pils to mess around with. Much hopper than most... though I expected that from the Black Thunders I've had before. Even though the initial lineup looks conservative, the hopping so far is not (aside from Peacemaker... guess that explains the name).

The taste is not nearly as sweet. Hop dominated from the get go. Almost like a lager version of an English IPA... but still distinctly pils. Dry, crisp finish. Much thinner than the Live Oak Pilz, but that fits the beer. Pretty drinkable, but also jolting and interesting. Love ABW's debut so far. Hope I can get their cans in DFW.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

Thanks to JJFoodie for the can!

Pours a clear sunny orange color with a nice white head. Lightly sweet aroma of crackers and bread crust, with slight notes of citrus and floral hop notes. Slightly sweeter bread notes on the taste, with a clean, crisp light hop bite on the finish: floral and citrusy. Body is light, with a slight creamy texture, smooth balance and excellent drinkability. Definitely a refreshing and tasty pils.

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%

I grabbed a can of this beer at work when someone had some leftovers. I poured it into a pint glass.

A: The yellow-gold color makes me think of a good summer beer. A light foam disappeared as it warmed.

S: The aroma was very sweet floral the rolled into a slight skunkiness. I was surprised at how much floral hop I got out of this.

T: The taste starts sweet and rolls into a earthy flavor. It reminds me of sunflower seeds. I very nice, crisp tasting beer.

M: The mouth feel is nice for a lighter beer. The floral flavor fills up your mouth and leaves a very pleasant mix between sweet flowers and skunk. I mean this in the best (tastiest) way, of course.

O: All in all, I really enjoyed this beer. It would go wonderful with a nice beach or pool. Very good blend from sweet to skunk. A nice job and good impression by Austin Beerworks with this one.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz can pours a stunningly clear yellow color with a nice, bubbly white head. Ok retention and not much lacing.

Nose is classic pilsner with delicious saaz-y/hallertau hop aromas. Fresh, clean grainy malt. I think Im gonna like this one...

Oh yea, it is about damn time a Texas brewery nailed a good pilsner, especially considering all the German immigrant heritage near the Hill Country. This one can hang right up there with the best of the Pennsylvania pilsners. Snappy, sharp and crisp with lots of hop flavor and character. Goes down smooth and fast, I am very impressed.

4.56/5  rDev +18.4%

A friend gave me a can of Pearl Snap at Blues on the Green yesterday. I think it is the best canned beer I've ever had. Really refreshing and delicious. And the can design looks great.

I really like Pilsners. Prima, Trumer have been my favorites, but I think I like this one more - it just seemed fresher and cleaner. I'll have to try them side by side to be sure.

Really happy to have great canned beer from a local brewery!

3.62/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can at Ginny's Little Bighorn on Sun., 12/28/2014 (Chicken Shit Bingo), unknown brewing/packaging dates, poured into plastic cup, drank over 30-45 minutes

3.99/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz can into nonic

A: brilliantly clear golden color, fluffy white head, medium sized carbonation bubbles, screams refreshing

S: a little lemony and crisp, a light cracker malt

T: sweetness that becomes attenuated by a lemon rind bitterness, slightly grassy and bitter finish

M: bright and semi-dry, begs for another refreshing drink without being needy

O: This one is a winner. It's bang on for the style (IMHO), flavorful and refreshing. I wish the nose were a bit more distinctive, but it's a small complaint.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

A buddy brought me a single can...I believe he picked up a 6er from the central Austin Specs.

Light straw colored yellow pour...a minimal head but some lacing. Not too bad.

Getting some grassy/flowery hops on first scent, some grainy malt...certainly a step above your adjunct lager.

MMM...pretty tasty. Crisp, refreshing pilsner taste...like the malty kick in the after taste. The initial grassy hop kick is nice...the carbonation is a bit high, but I think that's the norm for this style.

Overall a pretty good example for the style. Very happy to a local Austin brewery produce a quality craft brew. Lookin forward to trying the other styles as well.

3.81/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a handle into a standard pint glass at my local flying saucer.

First thing that strikes me is a bright, golden yellow colour. Looks pretty. Typical amount of head, a yellow tinged white, very fluffy.

Smelling, I come away with lingering fruit sensation. A little more citrusy then I'm used to for a pilsner, but balanced.

Tasting, I'm left mostly with a pleasant bitterness I wasn't expecting. Not anything like an IPA, but definitely more hopped than I'm used to for a German Pilsner. Subtule spices are well balanced, though I couldn't but my finger on the flavors individually.

This is definitely a drinkable beer. Light on the stomach amd the mouthfeel. Definitely something I could drink 3 or 4 glasses of without realizing it.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Can shared by Bobby.

A: The beer pours a clear golden color with a big white head.

S: There is a little bit of a lemony note, slightly soapy, with a rather light malt note. Some floral hop notes along with a pale malt sweetness and grassy hop notes.

T: A mild sweetness of pale malts. There's a floral and grassy hop note to it. Some fruity esters and yeast flavors with a very mild/soft bitterness.

M: The body is on the lighter side of medium with medium to high carbonation.

O: A pretty nice, easy to drink pils. Good flavor and aroma.

Poured on tap, this pours a crystal clear light yellow with a short lived white head. The smells are of grass hops, crisp earthy tones, some malts. The feel is medium to light. The taste is good, a nice bitter amount of noble hops along with some clean earthy flavors.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Austin Beerworks has made it to Houston. On tap at the Flying Saucer. This is the second time I have had this.

A: Pours a clear straw yellow color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Plenty of sticky lace as well.
S: Spicy, peppery yeast up front. Lots of hops in the nose. Grassy, herbal and tea like. Very nice.
T: Follows the nose with a large yeast and hops flavor. Spicy and peppery. A lemony zest as well as grassy and herbal hops. Some biscuit malt flavors for a nice balance and a lingering bitterness. Love it.
M/D: A lighter body that is very crisp and refreshing. Very dry and clean. So easy to drink. All day with this one.

An excellent Pilsener and a welcome addition to the Texas beer scene. Something I will be drinking a lot more of, and would highly recommend. Up there with Stoudts as one of the best Pilseners I have had (though very different interpretations of the style).

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks tjkinate for this, my first Texan beer.

Poured from a 12oz can into my Henninger seidel. Produced a nice, little one-finger, white head. Dissipated quickly with a bit of lacing. Nice, clear, straw-yellow color, with numerous little bubbles rising from the bottom.

Nice pilsner smell. Grainy, with a bit of hops, and a welcome touch of yeast funk. You can tell this isn't a mass produced adjunct lager.

Crisp with a surprising citrus hop burst that I didn't fully expect, rounded out by a perfect grassy grain taste. A hint of lemon peel and some well placed lager yeast finish it off.

Light, bubbly, crisp, and refreshing. Hits all the notes for a German pils in my opinion. Crucial to this is the surprisingly dry finish.

Overall this is a solid Pilsner, much like some of the better Pilsners up here in lake country. If I lived in the Austin area I might buy this regularly. So if you do live in the Austin area I would advise giving this a try. Cheers!

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Žatec Glass
A ~ Pours gold with straw highlights. Head is puffy & decent leaving typical lacing (spider webs). This looks promising aside from the soda pop carbonation. I have noticed this with all of ABW's beers though.

S ~ Zesty European hops. Faintly vegetal with grassy & faintly citric hop notes. Simple.

T ~ Wow surprised here. Very bready at first with a quck smack of bitter saaz fading into black pepper & cracker noes. Apricot & grass on the finish. I like the flavors here.

M ~ In terms of style this is more bitter than most German style pils I have has but it works here. This is after all an American interpretation. Effervescent & crispy with a dry finish.

D ~ Would certainly buy this again. Not a session pils, as I enjoyed sipping this one. One to enjoy. Thanks Reed!

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Got this in a trade with a friend. 12 ounce can into pilsener glass; no canning date, but I got it recently. Pours almost crystal clear golden straw color with a nice 1-2 finger fairly dense white head with fantastic retention that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some decent lacing clinging the glass, and plenty of carbonation streaming up. Aromas of lemon, grass, floral hops, pepper, herbs, and a bit of biscuit. Nice aromas with good balance and decent strength. Taste of big lemon, biscuit, floral, pepper, herb, grass, and spiciness. Light floral bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, biscuit, herb, pepper, and spiciness on the finish for a bit. Medium carbonation and body; with a crisp and very nice mouthfeel that is not thin at all. No alcohol noticed at all in the taste or finish as expected, and very drinkable. Overall this is a highly excellent pilsener, with a ton of nice well balanced flavor. One of the best ones I have had for sure.

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

big thanks to channels321 for this extra. enjoyed from my "E" snifter.

a - brew pours a transparent soft straw yellow with a finger of fizzy bubbly head with streaky bubbly lacing. visible champagne like carbonation could be seen raging in the glass.

s - grain, flax...corn. german pils. classic but very grainy.

t - again, big grain bill...ut some soft sweetness that the nose doesn't advertise that helps bring this one into the craft realm.

m - a bit fizzy, but overall a smooth drinker. super easy to throw back.

o - overall, another great gateway beer when trying to convert a macro drinker. i just had the kelso pils a bit earlier tonight and that one had a great sweetness that this one is missing. although true to style and leans towards the classic german pils, i find the german pils to be imperfect for my tastes. solid pils, but not something i'll be hunting or stocking.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

I picked a couple of 6-packs from Spec's. Along with this beer, I also got the Peacemaker.

As I poured the beer into a pint glass, the beer came alive. It looked good, and there was a healthy head coming to fruition. The flavors was a bit soft, but it was something I would enjoy. Last night, I had a Live Oak Pilz at a local bar, and I think this beer may be somewhat better. You can certainly taste the hops coming through. I could taste a very slight roasting flavor particularly as I swallow.

There was not any problems with the mouthfeel or the aftertaste. It was quite crispy, and it is definitely something i will want to take with me when I go disc golfing or even tubing down the Guadalupe River! (This along with Peacemaker) I think it's what makes Austin Beerworks appealing for me, and it's the fact that they are selling beers in cans. I don't think there's any local breweries that does this? It's nice to have that option to choose from.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap at blackstar coop

Appearance. Clear golden color with a white head not much retention.
Aroma: floral citrusy. Some pils malt. Grassy
Flavor: good clean. Not sharply bitter.
Mouthfeel. Good crisp finish. refreshing
Overall. A decent first stab.

This beer is a good addition to the Austin beer scene.
I'll revisit this review on your next batch.

4.67/5  rDev +21.3%

wonderful take on a classic Pilsner style lager. Best I've had from Texas. Saaz hoppiness rings true and clear. Clean finish, good astringency here. Nice off white head that quickly dissipates. Light straw color and light lace down the glass. Yum! Will buy again.

to view more.