Pearl Snap Pils - Austin Beerworks

Pearl Snap PilsPearl Snap Pils

Austin Beerworks visit their website
Texas, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: JonathanL7890 on 06-15-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pearl Snap Pils Alström Bros

4.9/5  rDev +26.9%

As a local Austinite my review seems relevant. I have savored a lot of local beers and Austin Pearl Snap is one of my favorites. Normally I am a fan of IPAs the Austing Pearl Snap is a great Pils but actually tastes very similar to an IPA. Please note that I am not a beer expert, just a regular beer customer.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

4.7/5  rDev +21.8%

wonderful take on a classic Pilsner style lager. Best I've had from Texas. Saaz hoppiness rings true and clear. Clean finish, good astringency here. Nice off white head that quickly dissipates. Light straw color and light lace down the glass. Yum! Will buy again.

4.6/5  rDev +19.2%

A friend gave me a can of Pearl Snap at Blues on the Green yesterday. I think it is the best canned beer I've ever had. Really refreshing and delicious. And the can design looks great.

I really like Pilsners. Prima, Trumer have been my favorites, but I think I like this one more - it just seemed fresher and cleaner. I'll have to try them side by side to be sure.

Really happy to have great canned beer from a local brewery!

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

This is Texas beer from a can, so I felt I should evaluate this one consumed from the can, as well as in a glass...
From can- the appearance is awesome! Perhaps the best beer packaging in Texas? In the glass, the beer pours a nice moderate off-white head that sticks around a bit.
From the can the aroma is overwhelmingly fresh hops. Reminds me of sticking my nose in a bag of hop pellets. Allowed to open up in the glass, the aroma is not so in-your-face hops and some cracker-like malt shows up. I also get the slightest hint of sulphur that adds a pleasant nuance to the danky hop profile.
The flavor impression straight outta the can is immediately lively and hop dominated. It comes on strong and fast and finishes clean and dry with a lingering hop bite. The beer smooths out in both carbonation, which remains lively, and hop bitterness when consumed from a glass. I'm also able to pick out that sulphur note in the glass again, which is so minor, but serves to make the beer feel a bit crisper and drier I think. Nice.
Overall, a supremely drinkable, crisp, dry and hoppy session beer. One of the best craft pilseners I have tried.

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz can pours a stunningly clear yellow color with a nice, bubbly white head. Ok retention and not much lacing.

Nose is classic pilsner with delicious saaz-y/hallertau hop aromas. Fresh, clean grainy malt. I think Im gonna like this one...

Oh yea, it is about damn time a Texas brewery nailed a good pilsner, especially considering all the German immigrant heritage near the Hill Country. This one can hang right up there with the best of the Pennsylvania pilsners. Snappy, sharp and crisp with lots of hop flavor and character. Goes down smooth and fast, I am very impressed.

4.4/5  rDev +14%

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

Austin Beerworks has made it to Houston. On tap at the Flying Saucer. This is the second time I have had this.

A: Pours a clear straw yellow color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Plenty of sticky lace as well.
S: Spicy, peppery yeast up front. Lots of hops in the nose. Grassy, herbal and tea like. Very nice.
T: Follows the nose with a large yeast and hops flavor. Spicy and peppery. A lemony zest as well as grassy and herbal hops. Some biscuit malt flavors for a nice balance and a lingering bitterness. Love it.
M/D: A lighter body that is very crisp and refreshing. Very dry and clean. So easy to drink. All day with this one.

An excellent Pilsener and a welcome addition to the Texas beer scene. Something I will be drinking a lot more of, and would highly recommend. Up there with Stoudts as one of the best Pilseners I have had (though very different interpretations of the style).

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Light golden and crystal clear. Good head retention with medium sized bubbles and moderate lacing.

S: A big earthy and floral hop punch with a faint hint of pilsner malt.

T: One of the more flavorful pilsners I've had. It is crisp and clean, but the liberal use of hops provides a depth that many pilsners don't have.

M: Good carbonation and a dry finish make this a very refreshing beer in the Texas heat.

O: Definitely not what I was expecting from a "German Pilsner", but I still really enjoyed it.

4.26/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to bentwookie for this. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a straw color, displaying brilliant clarity, with a finger of fluffy white head. Pretty good retention and messy lacing. Nice effervescent carbonation.

S: Moderate maltiness with slight sweetness, hint of grassiness, lemon, and DMS.

T: Nice pale malty flavor with an undertone of DMS, finishing with a very mild bitterness and a hint of sweetness.

M: Medium-high, crisp carbonation and medium-light body.

O: Very easy to drink. This works really well as both a warm weather, lawnmower beer, and for spicy foods like Indian or Mexican due to the slight sweetness and crispness.

Pearl Snap Pils from Austin Beerworks