Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Pearl Snap Pils - Austin Beerworks

Pearl Snap PilsPearl Snap Pils

Austin Beerworks visit their website
Texas, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: JonathanL7890 on 06-15-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

Another canned extra courtesy of htomsirveaux, poured into a Duvel tulip. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a very clear, hay-colored gold. Absolutely fantastic clarity, with a small white head that left beautiful cascading lacing around my glass. Very nicely put together.

Nice pilsner malt in the aroma, with a bready note and a touch of sweetness. But there's also a slight vegetal quality that seems almost rotten. A little bit like cabbage stew, this smells quite off. A non-BA with whom I shared this beer pejoratively described the smell as "funky."

Thankfully, whatever off notes that come through in the nose don't impact the beer at all. Lots of pilsner malt and a touch of biscuit. Corn and wheat, with a robust bready character. There's also a slight fruity aftertaste that adds additional sweetness.

Carbonation is on the low side, but it's not terrible. Definitely an easy pils to put back.

I'm quite happy that the taste departed from the smell significantly. This isn't a style I often spring for, and I haven't found many American versions that I enjoy, but this is solid.

3.37/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

big thanks to channels321 for this extra. enjoyed from my "E" snifter.

a - brew pours a transparent soft straw yellow with a finger of fizzy bubbly head with streaky bubbly lacing. visible champagne like carbonation could be seen raging in the glass.

s - grain, flax...corn. german pils. classic but very grainy.

t - again, big grain bill...ut some soft sweetness that the nose doesn't advertise that helps bring this one into the craft realm.

m - a bit fizzy, but overall a smooth drinker. super easy to throw back.

o - overall, another great gateway beer when trying to convert a macro drinker. i just had the kelso pils a bit earlier tonight and that one had a great sweetness that this one is missing. although true to style and leans towards the classic german pils, i find the german pils to be imperfect for my tastes. solid pils, but not something i'll be hunting or stocking.

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Slightly hazy pale golden color body. Very clean nose. Saaz is apparent. I enjoy the bready flavors and the overall hoppiness, but there's a toastiness that I'm just not feeling. Almost like this was brewed by New Belgium. Mouthfeel is bubbly and full; solid. This would be a pretty solid go-to beer if not for the toastiness. Kinda kills it for me. Solid otherwise.

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Light golden beer, the color of lime juice. A fluffy head rapidly appears and dissipates almost completely.

Smell - Earthy with yeast and hops notes.

Taste - Good pilsner taste, dry with a solid hop backbone. Has a slight skunky aftertaste after a few sips.

Mouthfeel - Light and snappy with a good crisp feeling.

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kevin123 for this can...

A: Pours a translucent yellow/gold with about a half finger of white head that settles fairly quickly. There is just a wisp of lacing left on the glass as it drinks.

S: Smells like a classic pils. There is a light malt backbone with a slight hop aroma, but nothing really stands out.

T: IT starts out clean and wet, with some mild malt tastes right up front. That note slowly transitions into a bittering hop finish.

M: Light bodied beer. The carbonation is spot on for this beer, light but ever present. The bitterness of the beer lingers on the palate for quite awhile after drinking.

O: This is a decent pilsner, but it's not spectacular. It's a bit too bitter in the finish for my liking. I'm pleased to have tried it, but I don't think I;d seek this beer out if it were available in my area.

3.55/5  rDev -8.7%

A: The can was mostly green and red. Top and bottom were silvery.

S: Tons of that good Pilsner smell. I call it the "pilsner skunk" but that's just the hops. I've grown to love that smell, and this one has it.

Taste: Lost of hop bitterness. I didn't detect much hop flavor, or that "Bite" that I get from other pilsners. No taste of pilsner malt.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, light and clean. I like that it's not as carbonated as most packaged beer is. I forgot I had just drank a beer, because almost nothing lingers in your mouth.

Overall: It'd rate higher if there was a little more pronounced hop flavor to balance the hop bitterness, or if there was more noticeable malt flavor. It feels good to drink and is certainly refreshing.

3.57/5  rDev -8.2%

I grabbed a can of this beer at work when someone had some leftovers. I poured it into a pint glass.

A: The yellow-gold color makes me think of a good summer beer. A light foam disappeared as it warmed.

S: The aroma was very sweet floral the rolled into a slight skunkiness. I was surprised at how much floral hop I got out of this.

T: The taste starts sweet and rolls into a earthy flavor. It reminds me of sunflower seeds. I very nice, crisp tasting beer.

M: The mouth feel is nice for a lighter beer. The floral flavor fills up your mouth and leaves a very pleasant mix between sweet flowers and skunk. I mean this in the best (tastiest) way, of course.

O: All in all, I really enjoyed this beer. It would go wonderful with a nice beach or pool. Very good blend from sweet to skunk. A nice job and good impression by Austin Beerworks with this one.

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can at Ginny's Little Bighorn on Sun., 12/28/2014 (Chicken Shit Bingo), unknown brewing/packaging dates, poured into plastic cup, drank over 30-45 minutes

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

I picked a couple of 6-packs from Spec's. Along with this beer, I also got the Peacemaker.

As I poured the beer into a pint glass, the beer came alive. It looked good, and there was a healthy head coming to fruition. The flavors was a bit soft, but it was something I would enjoy. Last night, I had a Live Oak Pilz at a local bar, and I think this beer may be somewhat better. You can certainly taste the hops coming through. I could taste a very slight roasting flavor particularly as I swallow.

There was not any problems with the mouthfeel or the aftertaste. It was quite crispy, and it is definitely something i will want to take with me when I go disc golfing or even tubing down the Guadalupe River! (This along with Peacemaker) I think it's what makes Austin Beerworks appealing for me, and it's the fact that they are selling beers in cans. I don't think there's any local breweries that does this? It's nice to have that option to choose from.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz into a pint

A - Pours a light golden color. Very clear. Not much for head formation, just a bit of white stuff. Like I said, clear.

S - Light pilsner malt nose, and even that I had to hunt for.

T - Starts off smooth and light, a little sweet - much like the aroma. Then it starts to add more strong nuttier pilsner malts and just a hint of citrus hops. Finishes clean with just a few more pilsner malts. Flavors are just not very bold.

M - Moderate body and like carbonation. Almost a little low for what I would be looking for - doesn't quite come off as much of a lager.

O/D - A nice easy drinker on a cool day. Not much about it that distinguishes it from the rest. Is well done for the style of course. A bit filling at times, abv is right in line.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks tjkinate for this, my first Texan beer.

Poured from a 12oz can into my Henninger seidel. Produced a nice, little one-finger, white head. Dissipated quickly with a bit of lacing. Nice, clear, straw-yellow color, with numerous little bubbles rising from the bottom.

Nice pilsner smell. Grainy, with a bit of hops, and a welcome touch of yeast funk. You can tell this isn't a mass produced adjunct lager.

Crisp with a surprising citrus hop burst that I didn't fully expect, rounded out by a perfect grassy grain taste. A hint of lemon peel and some well placed lager yeast finish it off.

Light, bubbly, crisp, and refreshing. Hits all the notes for a German pils in my opinion. Crucial to this is the surprisingly dry finish.

Overall this is a solid Pilsner, much like some of the better Pilsners up here in lake country. If I lived in the Austin area I might buy this regularly. So if you do live in the Austin area I would advise giving this a try. Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pearl Snap Pils is a sunny yellow beer that's clearly best suited to hot sunny weather; I'm thirsty and the bubbles, pristine clarity and condensation on the glass all make it irresistible not to just immediately gulp down without first properly examining or smelling it.

The simplicity of a true Pilsner is deceptive; lightly honeyed grain conceals a considerable amount of hoppiness. Though easy to miss, this beer (like every good pilsner) is comprised not only of full, Graham cracker-like maltiness but also a dosage of slightly zesty, flowery Noble hops.

Pearl Snap's delicately soft water affords the malts an ultra breadiness that tastes soft, clean and considerably sweet and might leave some (myself included) to think of it more as a Munich Helles. Either way, a southern German brewer would find nothing has been lost in translation.

This beer is exactly what you want in sunny and humid weather (trust me, I'm reviewing this in a non-air-conditioned room on an especially clammy August afternoon). It is bittered only enough to forge a little texture but not interfere with the thirst-quenching malt.

'Three' is how many Pearl Snap Pils the brewery says I can drink before I start trying that annoying accent. 'One' is how many it took to make me a huge fan of theirs. Not only can these guys evidently brew, but they're also extremely cool and clever marketers.

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%

Received as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear light golden straw with a fizzy one finger head that quickly fades to leave minimal clouding and halo.

S - Light grassy, floral hops along with some nice caramel malts. Awesome nobel hops.

T - Taste is more malts than usual here, sweet, with some slightly older nobel hops. there is a nice strong bitterness.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty good for a pils. The bitterness at the end is a bit distracting though. Nice carbonation.

O - Overall this isnt a bad German Pilsner. On the nose and mouth, the hops are a bit too prominent. The taste though, the hops are a bit faded.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz. can tried 30 Oct 2011. Courtesy of R&A, thanks! Served in the 0.4 L Hutthurmer mug.

Large yellow-white fluffy head. Well carbonated. Clear bright sunflower in color. Light mineral graininess in the aroma. Starts with light malts and a nice mineral bitterness. Some hints of lemon. Light body, moderate ethanol. Bitterness lingers into the finish and aftertaste.

Well balanced, easy to drink.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

A buddy brought me a single can...I believe he picked up a 6er from the central Austin Specs.

Light straw colored yellow pour...a minimal head but some lacing. Not too bad.

Getting some grassy/flowery hops on first scent, some grainy malt...certainly a step above your adjunct lager.

MMM...pretty tasty. Crisp, refreshing pilsner taste...like the malty kick in the after taste. The initial grassy hop kick is nice...the carbonation is a bit high, but I think that's the norm for this style.

Overall a pretty good example for the style. Very happy to a local Austin brewery produce a quality craft brew. Lookin forward to trying the other styles as well.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Can shared by Bobby.

A: The beer pours a clear golden color with a big white head.

S: There is a little bit of a lemony note, slightly soapy, with a rather light malt note. Some floral hop notes along with a pale malt sweetness and grassy hop notes.

T: A mild sweetness of pale malts. There's a floral and grassy hop note to it. Some fruity esters and yeast flavors with a very mild/soft bitterness.

M: The body is on the lighter side of medium with medium to high carbonation.

O: A pretty nice, easy to drink pils. Good flavor and aroma.

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a handle into a standard pint glass at my local flying saucer.

First thing that strikes me is a bright, golden yellow colour. Looks pretty. Typical amount of head, a yellow tinged white, very fluffy.

Smelling, I come away with lingering fruit sensation. A little more citrusy then I'm used to for a pilsner, but balanced.

Tasting, I'm left mostly with a pleasant bitterness I wasn't expecting. Not anything like an IPA, but definitely more hopped than I'm used to for a German Pilsner. Subtule spices are well balanced, though I couldn't but my finger on the flavors individually.

This is definitely a drinkable beer. Light on the stomach amd the mouthfeel. Definitely something I could drink 3 or 4 glasses of without realizing it.

3.84/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: deep yellow with very little foam and extremely clear

S: smells like a true pilsner with a nice clean punch when it hits the nose

T: this is an extremely clean tasting beer. It lingers a little, but the overwhelming clean flavor is fantastic
M: You can definitely taste the carbonation which is a little disappointing, but definitely not something to push you away.

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Pours a very crisp, clean golden color. There is just a little lacing that sticks around after a very minimal head. Aroma is better a bit farm grains like. There is just a little citrus note from the hops but it is hidden pretty well.

The first sip is nice and clean along with bitterness from the hops that sticks around then the finish is smooth. This pilsner does everything right. Crisp, clean (can't say that enough it seems), nice hop finish and not heavy on the funk.

I am not a fan of the style but this one completely won me over. Really digging ABW offerings.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at blackstar coop

Appearance. Clear golden color with a white head not much retention.
Aroma: floral citrusy. Some pils malt. Grassy
Flavor: good clean. Not sharply bitter.
Mouthfeel. Good crisp finish. refreshing
Overall. A decent first stab.

This beer is a good addition to the Austin beer scene.
I'll revisit this review on your next batch.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Žatec Glass
A ~ Pours gold with straw highlights. Head is puffy & decent leaving typical lacing (spider webs). This looks promising aside from the soda pop carbonation. I have noticed this with all of ABW's beers though.

S ~ Zesty European hops. Faintly vegetal with grassy & faintly citric hop notes. Simple.

T ~ Wow surprised here. Very bready at first with a quck smack of bitter saaz fading into black pepper & cracker noes. Apricot & grass on the finish. I like the flavors here.

M ~ In terms of style this is more bitter than most German style pils I have has but it works here. This is after all an American interpretation. Effervescent & crispy with a dry finish.

D ~ Would certainly buy this again. Not a session pils, as I enjoyed sipping this one. One to enjoy. Thanks Reed!

3.97/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from the can into a pils glass. The beer is a lemony yellow with a white head that fades to some suds. I was worried that the beer was flat when I opened the can to almost no co2 hiss but there is a steady stream of bubbles to disprove that.

The nose is clean and crisp just as you would expect from the style. A firm Nobel hop smell with a bready malted grain scent. There is also a touch of lemon peel and grass. Very nice.

The taste is like the nose with a firm showing of toasted grains and a lemon rind pinch with some earthy grass clippings. This beer is very quenching with a simple yet perfect flavor.

Mouthfeel is another feather in Austin Beerworks cap. It is crisp and dry with a light carbonated bite. I am a big fan of this beer. To me there is nothing better then a simple yet flavorful beer. Combine the fact that it's canned and easy to take with you to the beach or lake and you have my new favorite summer beer!

3.99/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz can into nonic

A: brilliantly clear golden color, fluffy white head, medium sized carbonation bubbles, screams refreshing

S: a little lemony and crisp, a light cracker malt

T: sweetness that becomes attenuated by a lemon rind bitterness, slightly grassy and bitter finish

M: bright and semi-dry, begs for another refreshing drink without being needy

O: This one is a winner. It's bang on for the style (IMHO), flavorful and refreshing. I wish the nose were a bit more distinctive, but it's a small complaint.

Drank from a can at The Common Table.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a nice-sized white head. The aroma is a mix of grain and grass with a little bit of citrus mixed in. A very nice smelling beer. The flavor is a mix of grain and bready malt, with some grassy and citrus hops mixed in. I also get a little bit of toffee in the flavor. The bitterness is pretty high for a pilsner but goes with the flavors very well. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice beer.

Poured on tap, this pours a crystal clear light yellow with a short lived white head. The smells are of grass hops, crisp earthy tones, some malts. The feel is medium to light. The taste is good, a nice bitter amount of noble hops along with some clean earthy flavors.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast