Pearl Snap Pils - Austin Beerworks

Pearl Snap PilsPearl Snap Pils

Austin Beerworks visit their website
Texas, United States

German Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: JonathanL7890 on 06-15-2011)
View: Beers (30) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pearl Snap Pils Alström Bros
obrike

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

A buddy brought me a single can...I believe he picked up a 6er from the central Austin Specs.

Light straw colored yellow pour...a minimal head but some lacing. Not too bad.

Getting some grassy/flowery hops on first scent, some grainy malt...certainly a step above your adjunct lager.

MMM...pretty tasty. Crisp, refreshing pilsner taste...like the malty kick in the after taste. The initial grassy hop kick is nice...the carbonation is a bit high, but I think that's the norm for this style.

Overall a pretty good example for the style. Very happy to a local Austin brewery produce a quality craft brew. Lookin forward to trying the other styles as well.

01-12-2012 00:16:08 | More by obrike

01-07-2012 20:25:42 | More by CLBizzle
EgadBananas

Louisiana

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to JJFoodie for the can!

Pours a clear sunny orange color with a nice white head. Lightly sweet aroma of crackers and bread crust, with slight notes of citrus and floral hop notes. Slightly sweeter bread notes on the taste, with a clean, crisp light hop bite on the finish: floral and citrusy. Body is light, with a slight creamy texture, smooth balance and excellent drinkability. Definitely a refreshing and tasty pils.

01-07-2012 00:06:49 | More by EgadBananas
wagenvolks

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

12oz can into a (512) Anniv3rsary tulip.

Gorgeous pour--crystal clear body with a brassy, golden hue. Crackling white foam on top retains well as a fat ring of bubbles. Aroma floods the olfaction with leafy, green hop notes that suggest white grape juice and herbal mint & grass. Cereal malts in the background are sweet and grainy. A little sulfur creeps in from the yeast.

"Bread crust and saltine crackers!" shout the malt. "Pine sap and minty earth!" scream the hops, eventually the louder of the two parties. Mineral water and sulfur-y yeastiness lingers in the finish; this pilsener could hang with the best of German offerings. Mouthfeel is crisp and bubbly, light-bodied, dry on the back end, and ultimately drinkable. A fantastic pils to make you fall in love with the style all over again.

01-04-2012 06:34:52 | More by wagenvolks

bentwookie

11-14-2011 17:24:09 | More by bentwookie
amphion1065

3.28/5  rDev -15.7%

Another canned extra courtesy of htomsirveaux, poured into a Duvel tulip. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a very clear, hay-colored gold. Absolutely fantastic clarity, with a small white head that left beautiful cascading lacing around my glass. Very nicely put together.

Nice pilsner malt in the aroma, with a bready note and a touch of sweetness. But there's also a slight vegetal quality that seems almost rotten. A little bit like cabbage stew, this smells quite off. A non-BA with whom I shared this beer pejoratively described the smell as "funky."

Thankfully, whatever off notes that come through in the nose don't impact the beer at all. Lots of pilsner malt and a touch of biscuit. Corn and wheat, with a robust bready character. There's also a slight fruity aftertaste that adds additional sweetness.

Carbonation is on the low side, but it's not terrible. Definitely an easy pils to put back.

I'm quite happy that the taste departed from the smell significantly. This isn't a style I often spring for, and I haven't found many American versions that I enjoy, but this is solid.

10-24-2011 01:39:40 | More by amphion1065
twiggamortis420

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

12 oz can pours a stunningly clear yellow color with a nice, bubbly white head. Ok retention and not much lacing.

Nose is classic pilsner with delicious saaz-y/hallertau hop aromas. Fresh, clean grainy malt. I think Im gonna like this one...

Oh yea, it is about damn time a Texas brewery nailed a good pilsner, especially considering all the German immigrant heritage near the Hill Country. This one can hang right up there with the best of the Pennsylvania pilsners. Snappy, sharp and crisp with lots of hop flavor and character. Goes down smooth and fast, I am very impressed.

10-01-2011 00:12:05 | More by twiggamortis420
Mora2000

Drank from a can at The Common Table.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a nice-sized white head. The aroma is a mix of grain and grass with a little bit of citrus mixed in. A very nice smelling beer. The flavor is a mix of grain and bready malt, with some grassy and citrus hops mixed in. I also get a little bit of toffee in the flavor. The bitterness is pretty high for a pilsner but goes with the flavors very well. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice beer.

09-25-2011 18:01:42 | More by Mora2000
Humulus85

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks tjkinate for this, my first Texan beer.

Poured from a 12oz can into my Henninger seidel. Produced a nice, little one-finger, white head. Dissipated quickly with a bit of lacing. Nice, clear, straw-yellow color, with numerous little bubbles rising from the bottom.

Nice pilsner smell. Grainy, with a bit of hops, and a welcome touch of yeast funk. You can tell this isn't a mass produced adjunct lager.

Crisp with a surprising citrus hop burst that I didn't fully expect, rounded out by a perfect grassy grain taste. A hint of lemon peel and some well placed lager yeast finish it off.

Light, bubbly, crisp, and refreshing. Hits all the notes for a German pils in my opinion. Crucial to this is the surprisingly dry finish.

Overall this is a solid Pilsner, much like some of the better Pilsners up here in lake country. If I lived in the Austin area I might buy this regularly. So if you do live in the Austin area I would advise giving this a try. Cheers!

09-16-2011 22:41:25 | More by Humulus85
lonestar4lunch

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a very crisp, clean golden color. There is just a little lacing that sticks around after a very minimal head. Aroma is better a bit farm grains like. There is just a little citrus note from the hops but it is hidden pretty well.

The first sip is nice and clean along with bitterness from the hops that sticks around then the finish is smooth. This pilsner does everything right. Crisp, clean (can't say that enough it seems), nice hop finish and not heavy on the funk.

I am not a fan of the style but this one completely won me over. Really digging ABW offerings.

09-15-2011 01:27:41 | More by lonestar4lunch
FUNKPhD

Picked up a sixer at Spec's, should've gotten a pint while at FS.

From Notes:
Pours out a nice amber, quite clear, with a slight head which dissipates quickly. I get a bitter aroma, smells pretty good. The taste has the same bitterness to it. Its a crisp, refreshing beer. Has a good amount of carbonation. Quite drinkable.

This is really, a good choice to pick up. Hopefully I'll be seeing it more of it, and other ABW beers, more widely available in the upcoming weeks.

09-12-2011 02:15:56 | More by FUNKPhD
zander4dawin

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Light golden beer, the color of lime juice. A fluffy head rapidly appears and dissipates almost completely.

Smell - Earthy with yeast and hops notes.

Taste - Good pilsner taste, dry with a solid hop backbone. Has a slight skunky aftertaste after a few sips.

Mouthfeel - Light and snappy with a good crisp feeling.

09-02-2011 16:12:20 | More by zander4dawin
womencantsail

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Can shared by Bobby.

A: The beer pours a clear golden color with a big white head.

S: There is a little bit of a lemony note, slightly soapy, with a rather light malt note. Some floral hop notes along with a pale malt sweetness and grassy hop notes.

T: A mild sweetness of pale malts. There's a floral and grassy hop note to it. Some fruity esters and yeast flavors with a very mild/soft bitterness.

M: The body is on the lighter side of medium with medium to high carbonation.

O: A pretty nice, easy to drink pils. Good flavor and aroma.

08-28-2011 16:21:38 | More by womencantsail
GrayHam

4.28/5  rDev +10%

A: Light golden and crystal clear. Good head retention with medium sized bubbles and moderate lacing.

S: A big earthy and floral hop punch with a faint hint of pilsner malt.

T: One of the more flavorful pilsners I've had. It is crisp and clean, but the liberal use of hops provides a depth that many pilsners don't have.

M: Good carbonation and a dry finish make this a very refreshing beer in the Texas heat.

O: Definitely not what I was expecting from a "German Pilsner", but I still really enjoyed it.

08-22-2011 22:21:58 | More by GrayHam
2xHops

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

I picked a couple of 6-packs from Spec's. Along with this beer, I also got the Peacemaker.

As I poured the beer into a pint glass, the beer came alive. It looked good, and there was a healthy head coming to fruition. The flavors was a bit soft, but it was something I would enjoy. Last night, I had a Live Oak Pilz at a local bar, and I think this beer may be somewhat better. You can certainly taste the hops coming through. I could taste a very slight roasting flavor particularly as I swallow.

There was not any problems with the mouthfeel or the aftertaste. It was quite crispy, and it is definitely something i will want to take with me when I go disc golfing or even tubing down the Guadalupe River! (This along with Peacemaker) I think it's what makes Austin Beerworks appealing for me, and it's the fact that they are selling beers in cans. I don't think there's any local breweries that does this? It's nice to have that option to choose from.

08-16-2011 21:46:48 | More by 2xHops
BeerZack

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

This is Texas beer from a can, so I felt I should evaluate this one consumed from the can, as well as in a glass...
From can- the appearance is awesome! Perhaps the best beer packaging in Texas? In the glass, the beer pours a nice moderate off-white head that sticks around a bit.
From the can the aroma is overwhelmingly fresh hops. Reminds me of sticking my nose in a bag of hop pellets. Allowed to open up in the glass, the aroma is not so in-your-face hops and some cracker-like malt shows up. I also get the slightest hint of sulphur that adds a pleasant nuance to the danky hop profile.
The flavor impression straight outta the can is immediately lively and hop dominated. It comes on strong and fast and finishes clean and dry with a lingering hop bite. The beer smooths out in both carbonation, which remains lively, and hop bitterness when consumed from a glass. I'm also able to pick out that sulphur note in the glass again, which is so minor, but serves to make the beer feel a bit crisper and drier I think. Nice.
Overall, a supremely drinkable, crisp, dry and hoppy session beer. One of the best craft pilseners I have tried.

08-10-2011 04:58:01 | More by BeerZack
fivehoursfree

3.5/5  rDev -10%

A: The can was mostly green and red. Top and bottom were silvery.

S: Tons of that good Pilsner smell. I call it the "pilsner skunk" but that's just the hops. I've grown to love that smell, and this one has it.

Taste: Lost of hop bitterness. I didn't detect much hop flavor, or that "Bite" that I get from other pilsners. No taste of pilsner malt.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, light and clean. I like that it's not as carbonated as most packaged beer is. I forgot I had just drank a beer, because almost nothing lingers in your mouth.

Overall: It'd rate higher if there was a little more pronounced hop flavor to balance the hop bitterness, or if there was more noticeable malt flavor. It feels good to drink and is certainly refreshing.

07-26-2011 01:25:36 | More by fivehoursfree
champ103

4.38/5  rDev +12.6%

Austin Beerworks has made it to Houston. On tap at the Flying Saucer. This is the second time I have had this.

A: Pours a clear straw yellow color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Plenty of sticky lace as well.
S: Spicy, peppery yeast up front. Lots of hops in the nose. Grassy, herbal and tea like. Very nice.
T: Follows the nose with a large yeast and hops flavor. Spicy and peppery. A lemony zest as well as grassy and herbal hops. Some biscuit malt flavors for a nice balance and a lingering bitterness. Love it.
M/D: A lighter body that is very crisp and refreshing. Very dry and clean. So easy to drink. All day with this one.

An excellent Pilsener and a welcome addition to the Texas beer scene. Something I will be drinking a lot more of, and would highly recommend. Up there with Stoudts as one of the best Pilseners I have had (though very different interpretations of the style).

07-18-2011 01:05:55 | More by champ103
rcfunk

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Something may have been wrong with the first can I tasted of this beer or maybe with the glass I drank it out of. My initial review was as follows:

Severely over carbonated. Accordingly, impossible to review accurately.

I would like to try this beer again in better condition.

Smells and tastes promising, so I expect that with the appropriate level of CO2, this beer will be very good. Props on canning.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I tried another can from the same six pack and the beer was totally different. I am reviewing this beer for the second time below.

It pours crystal clear with a good level of carbonation and nice head retention. This, for me is the first make or break test of a pilsner beer.

The taste is very hop forward with a nice lingering bitterness which is pleasant albeit unexpected. I honestly couldn't pick up any pilsner malt flavor behind the hops.

This beer is crisp and refreshing and highly drinkable. I would give it a 4.0 as a beer, but I can't give it higher ratings than I did as a german style pilsner.

I highly recommend this beer and I am really glad a local brewery is canning their product. Something nice to take to the lake etc. Props.

I really enjoyed it.

07-16-2011 19:53:07 | More by rcfunk
UTCengOwl

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Gotta love ABW's Can do attitude. Picked up a sixer of this at Spec's. At $7.70, you can bet your ass I'm going to buy their stuff whenever I need casual non-homebrew to sip on. I'll probably pick up the Fire Eagle (SCREEEE) over this, but it's close and that might just be my preference for IPAs. With this and Live Oak Pilz, Austin has some good easy drinking options. Served in a (512) TWO glass. Gotta keep it local.

The beer looks like you'd want an idealized AAL to look like. Inviting, clear gold body. White head settles on top nicely. Fades before in finish, though. Points off for that.

The nose is grassy, peppery, noble and sweet. Not a pils to mess around with. Much hopper than most... though I expected that from the Black Thunders I've had before. Even though the initial lineup looks conservative, the hopping so far is not (aside from Peacemaker... guess that explains the name).

The taste is not nearly as sweet. Hop dominated from the get go. Almost like a lager version of an English IPA... but still distinctly pils. Dry, crisp finish. Much thinner than the Live Oak Pilz, but that fits the beer. Pretty drinkable, but also jolting and interesting. Love ABW's debut so far. Hope I can get their cans in DFW.

07-16-2011 02:24:01 | More by UTCengOwl